Advice for Homeowners: Don't Use American Home Shield

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eThneoLgrRnae
For any homeowners out there who don't already have a home warranty, I highly recommend against AHS as a warranty company. It's been one hassle after another with them for me and I've finally had enough.

Most recently, my shower stem valve where my faucet connects to my shower was broken. They sent someone out this morning to fix it.

Turns out that the warranty company refuses to cover it because they claim it was broken due to neglect on my part. I tried explaining that it broke because I accidentally turned it too hard on one occasion and so it broke as a result; it would tend to leak if I didn't put enough force into turning it off. I was just trying to make sure it was always fully turned-off.

They didn't care about my explanations and stuck to the "you were neglectful" reason for not covering it. So I finally gave in and accepted that they wouldn't cover it.

At this point I was already considering cancelling my warranty with them anyway but then they had the gall to also refuse to refund my $125 service fee even though the service guy didn't actually do anything. So I basically paid all that money just for him to look at the faucet, call the warranty company, and then tell me that AHS wouldn't cover it lol. Talk about money flushed down the toilet.

After getting upset and cussing at the effeminate sounding soy boy over the phone and him telling me that yelling and strong language wouldn't help me in getting my money back I told the little prick to cancel my warranty with AHS immediately, and for good this time.

This was just the most recent in a long history of issues I've had with AHS. They've been my home warranty company for years and I've reached my limit with putting up with their shit. They will not be getting any more of my money ever again.

And yeah, I know I could always take them to small claims court over them refusing to refund my service fee but it wouldn't be worth the time and court costs for such a small amount of money.

dadudemon
I had AHS with my last home. It just so happened the underground hot-water pipes burst and flooded the downstairs with about 6-8 inches of hot water.

But the warranty expired about 4 months prior.

So I never got to use them. The Home Owners insurance hardly paid for anything. The costs and the debt from that single situation is still part of my debt, to this day.

Total repair costs?

$45,000

That's a nice down payment on a home in the Midwest.

I did the math: the money I paid to my home owners insurance during the time I owned that home was more than the amount that they paid out. Most of that payout went to the emergency water-damage team that brought in 2 dehumidifiers and a sump pump. And they cut out f the wet sheetrock. All of that, I could have done on my own by just renting the equipment. Guess how much that emergency team charged for their "services"? $9,000. The home owner's insurance paid out a total of $12,000 towards the damages. All the "rest" wasn't covered. The only thing that was covered was just the direct damage from the water. Not the ruined ventilation system, and carpet. I ended up retiling the bottom floor, myself.

Insurance companies and home warranty companies are not there to save you money during an emergency. They are there to make money off of their clients. They will find any way possible to avoid having to pay out.

If you make a large enough downpayment on your home, you do not have to have home owners insurance. I recommend NOT getting home owner's insurance. Usually, that's 20% of the principle paid off as either the down payment or through overpayment. But, because you very well may need that money, have money direct deposited into a savings or investment account that is specific to home repairs and home emergencies: the same cost you would normally put into home owner's insurance. If you cannot afford to do that, owning a home is not appropriate for your finances. Rent a shitty place until you can afford to do so.

Anyway, sorry about your AHS experience. I find home warranties to be useless.

Raptor22
American Home Shield, Car Shield and other type coverage plans like them are scams.

Sure they warranty lots if stuff but basically any underlying problem that would cause any malfunction voids the warranty. Thats the stuff thats always in the fine print.

It would be like offering home fire coverage and when ur house burns down and u make a claim u find out on pg 103 of ur contract in fine print it details how any warranty/claim is null and void if said fire is caused by friction/electricity/heat or combustion of any kind etc... Basically if the fire is caused by anything that can cause a fire it becomes void.

Ur best bet would be to contact the Better Business Bureau and file a claim against them.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by dadudemon
I had AHS with my last home. It just so happened the underground hot-water pipes burst and flooded the downstairs with about 6-8 inches of hot water.

But the warranty expired about 4 months prior.

So I never got to use them. The Home Owners insurance hardly paid for anything. The costs and the debt from that single situation is still part of my debt, to this day.

Total repair costs?

$45,000

That's a nice down payment on a home in the Midwest.

I did the math: the money I paid to my home owners insurance during the time I owned that home was more than the amount that they paid out. Most of that payout went to the emergency water-damage team that brought in 2 dehumidifiers and a sump pump. And they cut out f the wet sheetrock. All of that, I could have done on my own by just renting the equipment. Guess how much that emergency team charged for their "services"? $9,000. The home owner's insurance paid out a total of $12,000 towards the damages. All the "rest" wasn't covered. The only thing that was covered was just the direct damage from the water. Not the ruined ventilation system, and carpet. I ended up retiling the bottom floor, myself.

Insurance companies and home warranty companies are not there to save you money during an emergency. They are there to make money off of their clients. They will find any way possible to avoid having to pay out.

If you make a large enough downpayment on your home, you do not have to have home owners insurance. I recommend NOT getting home owner's insurance. Usually, that's 20% of the principle paid off as either the down payment or through overpayment. But, because you very well may need that money, have money direct deposited into a savings or investment account that is specific to home repairs and home emergencies: the same cost you would normally put into home owner's insurance. If you cannot afford to do that, owning a home is not appropriate for your finances. Rent a shitty place until you can afford to do so.

Anyway, sorry about your AHS experience. I find home warranties to be useless.

What really sucks is that my shower STILL isn't fixed. I'll have to keep using the portable shower for a while it looks like. I have a 2nd bathroom but the shower in it has been out for many years.

eThneoLgrRnae
And yeah, I had a Car Shield Warranty for a little while as well, not anymore though. It seemed like they were ripping me off too.

Robtard
So sorry this is happening to you.

eThneoLgrRnae
I can't help wondering if you're actually serious or just doing the trolling thing and actually enjoying my bad experiences with AHS.

Wouldn't be surprised if you consider it bad karma for voting for Trump lol.

Robtard
Wow!

eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah, "wow!" that sometimes it's hard to figure out if you are genuinely sincere in what you say or just trolling.

wxyz
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
For any homeowners out there who don't already have a home warranty, I highly recommend against AHS as a warranty company. It's been one hassle after another with them for me and I've finally had enough.

Most recently, my shower stem valve where my faucet connects to my shower was broken. They sent someone out this morning to fix it.

Turns out that the warranty company refuses to cover it because they claim it was broken due to neglect on my part. I tried explaining that it broke because I accidentally turned it too hard on one occasion and so it broke as a result; it would tend to leak if I didn't put enough force into turning it off. I was just trying to make sure it was always fully turned-off.

They didn't care about my explanations and stuck to the "you were neglectful" reason for not covering it. So I finally gave in and accepted that they wouldn't cover it.

At this point I was already considering cancelling my warranty with them anyway but then they had the gall to also refuse to refund my $125 service fee even though the service guy didn't actually do anything. So I basically paid all that money just for him to look at the faucet, call the warranty company, and then tell me that AHS wouldn't cover it lol. Talk about money flushed down the toilet.

After getting upset and cussing at the effeminate sounding soy boy over the phone and him telling me that yelling and strong language wouldn't help me in getting my money back I told the little prick to cancel my warranty with AHS immediately, and for good this time.

This was just the most recent in a long history of issues I've had with AHS. They've been my home warranty company for years and I've reached my limit with putting up with their shit. They will not be getting any more of my money ever again.

And yeah, I know I could always take them to small claims court over them refusing to refund my service fee but it wouldn't be worth the time and court costs for such a small amount of money.

It's because you have a Trump sign on the front lawn.

dadudemon
Originally posted by wxyz

Weeeeeellllll....

That really could be a thing. If he has a sign like that, he may want to check the coverage policy to see if he is being treated unfairly due to his Trump sign.

Yes, I know you're joking but this could be legit.

eThneoLgrRnae
Actually, I don't have any Trump signs or flags on my property. I do have an anti-liberal bumper sticker on the back of my car though.

Robtard

HYG:

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcROYSETom_qqeVgHGDSgCK-yjcCca7Z1fKVMw&usqp=CAU

For anyone who needs it.

eThneoLgrRnae
That's what you leftists are always using.

jaden_2.0
Sounds like the good ol' Spartan Insurance model

QEd7Y2YLgTg

dadudemon
Actually, I don't have any Trump signs or flags on my property. I do have an anti-liberal bumper sticker on the back of my car though.

How dare you have a sticker that is basically anti-dadudemon.

uhuh

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by dadudemon
How dare you have a sticker that is basically anti-dadudemon.

uhuh Top nothch gaslighting laughing out loud 10/10 thumb up

wxyz
Originally posted by Robtard
HYG:

What's the credit limit?

Robtard
What's the credit limit?

It's based on your feelings.

Artol
Insurances should all be required to be non-profits or consumer-co-ops. That would solve some of these problems.

Surtur
Per leftist logic if your home is insured I can burn it to the ground.

So my advice is for folk here to claim their homes are not. It is safer that way thumb up

eThneoLgrRnae
Update: a rep from AHS called me today (while I was in the middle of filing a complaint with the BBB about them lol) to ask me why I was cancelling my warranty with them.

When I told her about the phone call yesterday with another rep who told me that I was not entitled to a refund for the nonservice regarding my shower problem she apologized and told me that a refund would be issued within 5-7 business days.

She gave me her word that it would be so I decided to give them another chance and go ahead and keep the service for now. Hope she doesn't turn out to be a liar (she gave me no indication she was a democrat so I'm hopeful lol). She sounded like a sweet Hispanic woman and seemed to have a cold (was sniffing a lot; hopefully it's not covid).

dadudemon
Originally posted by Artol
Insurances should all be required to be non-profits or consumer-co-ops. That would solve some of these problems.

Smart idea.

Are you a US Citizen?

dadudemon
Update: a rep from AHS called me today (while I was in the middle of filing a complaint with the BBB about them lol) to ask me why I was cancelling my warranty with them.

When I told her about the phone call yesterday with another rep who told me that I was not entitled to a refund for the nonservice regarding my shower problem she apologized and told me that a refund would be issued within 5-7 business days.

She gave me her word that it would be so I decided to give them another chance and go ahead and keep the service for now. Hope she doesn't turn out to be a liar (she gave me no indication she was a democrat so I'm hopeful lol). She sounded like a sweet Hispanic woman and seemed to have a cold (was sniffing a lot; hopefully it's not covid).

Retention department strikes again to actually deliver the product, service, or value that they should have done to begin with.

They are hoping you don't go that far so they can keep their money. It is Financial GRC and they literally form policies around the Risk part of that to save money (they are a business: they exist to maximize revenue and profit).

Congrats on the good outcome. I bet you're quite happy.

eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah, to an extent I am. It still sucks that my shower is broken though. It's been way too long since I've had a real shower... *sigh*

Robtard
They're only refunding your $125.00 because they're thinking long term and want to keep that monthly payment coming. They will screw you right in the ass the second it suits them.

eThneoLgrRnae
Yeah, I suspect they will eventually which is why I'm thinking of cancelling my warranty sometime in the spring.

I would cancel it as soon as next month if not for the fact that cold weather will soon be here and my central heating has a tendency to start messing up during the coldest months just as my central AC tends to always go bad in the hottest months (which is far worse than heating going bad in winter seeing as how I live in the deep south).

I have a fireplace which I've never actually used. It would be a good backup plan and I've been wanting to try it out anyway. Have to find a place that will deliver some firewood or coal though and don't have any idea how much that would cost.

Robtard
FFS, don't burn coal in your fireplace.

Far higher number of poisons released than wood, which you could inhale and coal burns much hotter than most woods, so you could damage your fireplace and/or chimney which is likely not built for coal burning.

eThneoLgrRnae
It'll come down to whichever one is cheaper, Rob. When I was a small child my grandmother use to burn coal a lot in her fireplace and I never got sick from it.

Robtard
And her fireplace was probably designed to burn coal. I would check to make sure your fireplace is spec'd out for coal before even considering it.

But you're also going to be pumping out a whole lot more carbon monoxide with coal, which is poisonous and kills brain cells like crazy.

eThneoLgrRnae
Ok, I'll do some research into the pros and cons of burning firewood vs the pros and cons of burning coal before deciding.

Ultimately though, even if it turns out to be true that going with firewood is better than coal, if the price difference is huge then I will go with what is more affordable. I'm not rich, after all.

But yeah, I'll find out if my fireplace is built for burning coal. I just always assumed it could burn either coal or firewood.

eThneoLgrRnae
I do have a a little bit of a source of wood like trees, sticks, and other fireburning material in my backyard which I might be able to use but that won't last long and I'm not crazy about the idea of chopping one of my big trees down.

I suppose the really small ones would be alright though.

Robtard
Even though you're a deplorable Trumper, as is every Trumper, as a true Liberal I wouldn't want you to burn your house down and/or poison yourself, so please do some research on your fire place before you choose to burn coal.

wxyz
I'm glad we can all get along, despite Robtard being an insane Leftie.

Surtur
Even though you're a deplorable Trumper, as is every Trumper, as a true Liberal I wouldn't want you to burn your house down and/or poison yourself, so please do some research on your fire place before you choose to burn coal.

https://media.tenor.com/images/b85413b368392ba78e647438f2366d46/tenor.gif

eThneoLgrRnae

Ya, I'm totally sure you have my best interests at heart, Robbie. laughing

jaden_2.0
Yeah, I suspect they will eventually which is why I'm thinking of cancelling my warranty sometime in the spring.

I would cancel it as soon as next month if not for the fact that cold weather will soon be here and my central heating has a tendency to start messing up during the coldest months just as my central AC tends to always go bad in the hottest months (which is far worse than heating going bad in winter seeing as how I live in the deep south).

I have a fireplace which I've never actually used. It would be a good backup plan and I've been wanting to try it out anyway. Have to find a place that will deliver some firewood or coal though and don't have any idea how much that would cost.

You should speak to Broly about alternatives for your heating. I think his experience is more about the opposite in keeping his house cool with as little energy as possible. He's a knowledgeable guy when it comes to energy conservation etc. He might be able to give you some ideas

S_W_LeGenD
Coal burning can make living uncomfortable in a home.

Bringing following heating solution to attention:

aAHcsl07soM

Eon Blue

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Coal burning can make living uncomfortable in a home.

Bringing following heating solution to attention:

aAHcsl07soM

Not everyone can afford a solar heater, you know.

Artol
Would be good if they had more subsidies, cause they are really useful in a lot of ways, and give people more independence and freedom. But instead we support oil and coal companies with corporate welfare money who then go around and stiff us....oh well.

Robtard
Ya, I'm totally sure you have my best interests at heart, Robbie. laughing

I'm advising you to do a bit of research for your own safety, how is there any malice in that?

You're a deplorable Trumper, as is every Trumper. But I don't want you to die, especially not before Trump loses.

S_W_LeGenD
Not everyone can afford a solar heater, you know.
Sad but true.

I am providing links in good faith though:

http://www.arcticasolar.com/

http://www.solarairsystems.com/shop/

Some might benefit from these - perhaps you might as well some day.

eThneoLgrRnae
Besides the insane prices, they aren't very reliable either. My area sometimes can go a week or more with rainy weather.

Solar power is useless if you don't get enough sunny weather and I don't think it would be possible for a solar battery to store the amount of power I needed for an extended period without the sun... unless it was one of those really expensive batteries that I couldn't afford.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.