United Ireland?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blakemore
Starting this thread early because I think a referendum might be on the cards soon. The questions are:

What does president Biden mean for the good friday agreement?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/president-biden-will-be-powerful-ally-of-good-friday-agreement-say-ni-politicians-39718723.html

What is the good friday agreement?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-54380051

And wtf is going to happen?

cdtm
Lets wait for expert Irish Man and alt righter Computing Forever.

Then pick exactly the opposite of his opinion.

-Pr-
iirc, Biden's family is originally from Ireland, and he's spoken at length about at the very least, maintaining the GFA. Whether Biden will have an impact on any negotiations about a deal in Ireland though, is one of those "wait and see" things.

I don't like Biden personally, but he does genuinely seem to give more of a **** about it than Trump ever did.

Blakemore
Well, Brexit complicates things. Some argue a trade border in Ireland ruins the agreement, and others argue a border in the sea ruins the agreement.

So wtf.

Silent Master
Of course the racist Biden likes Ireland. it's almost entirely white.

Blakemore
House of Lords block Brexit deal cos Northern Ireland. erm

Lestov16
Chill bruh. We murdered Natives and enslaved Blacks to get away from all this European barbarism....

Lestov16
In all seriousness, this is what all that Anglo-Extremist shit gets. There's no more brown people to belittle because the EU is gone, so now it's a fight for which group of whites has the might, right, and worst plight...

Not to say these tensions were never serious, but Brexit exacerbated the need for national pride, so now said nations are drawing lines in the sand.

Wonder Man
Well God says a kingdom divided cannot stand so if you form a triangle out of Ireland it might unite.

Blakemore
Would a united Ireland be a good idea or a bad idea?

dadudemon
Let's unite Ireland.

Robtard
Originally posted by -Pr-
iirc, Biden's family is originally from Ireland, and he's spoken at length about at the very least, maintaining the GFA. Whether Biden will have an impact on any negotiations about a deal in Ireland though, is one of those "wait and see" things.

I don't like Biden personally, but he does genuinely seem to give more of a **** about it than Trump ever did.

Excuse my ignorance of the Irish, but do the Irish want N. Ireland back in the fold still and do the N. Irish want to be back in the fold?

Blakemore
Originally posted by Robtard
Excuse my ignorance of the Irish, but do the Irish want N. Ireland back in the fold still and do the N. Irish want to be back in the fold? Some do, some don't. It's complicated.

Robtard
Originally posted by Blakemore
Some do, some don't. It's complicated.

I do understand it's complicated considering the long history there. But wouldn't seeing if the majority of all the Irish want a united Ireland to begin with be a good first step?

Blakemore
I do understand it's complicated considering the long history there. But wouldn't seeing if the majority of all the Irish want a united Ireland to begin with be a good first step? Well, I'd be in favour of a referendum. Choices being:

1. Should NI be a part of Ireland?
2. Should NI remain in the UK?
3. Should NI be an independent country?

Something like that. NI has a great tourist factor that the UK benefits from...

dadudemon
Excuse my ignorance of the Irish, but do the Irish want N. Ireland back in the fold still and do the N. Irish want to be back in the fold?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-nireland-poll/poll-shows-northern-ireland-majority-against-united-ireland-idUSKBN20C0WI

Blakemore
dadick douche needs to ruin everything!

Robtard
Well, I'd be in favour of a referendum. Choices being:

1. Should NI be a part of Ireland?
2. Should NI remain in the UK?
3. Should NI be an independent country?

Something like that. NI has a great tourist factor that the UK benefits from...

Yeah, my whole point was to start with 'do the Irish even want it?', if so, go from there. No real point if the Irish themselves are happy with the way it is now.

Old Man Whirly!
Yeah, my whole point was to start with 'do the Irish even want it?', if so, go from there. No real point if the Irish themselves are happy with the way it is now. economically NI will be a burden to the Republic of Ireland.

Blakemore
NI as an indy cuntry then.! Progress!

-Pr-

In the Republic, if you asked most people if they wanted Northern Ireland back, they'd say yes. On a purely emotional level, we want our six ****ing counties back.

In Northern Ireland... it's trickier. The catholics generally do want a united Ireland. The protestants don't.

And Westminster couldn't give two ****s about Northern Ireland.

Originally posted by dadudemon
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-nireland-poll/poll-shows-northern-ireland-majority-against-united-ireland-idUSKBN20C0WI

That might be true, but a poll run by a British newspaper automatically has alarm bells ringing in my head.

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
economically NI will be a burden to the Republic of Ireland.

It would. Especially with everyone being hit so hard by covid.

==

When it comes down to it, the biggest argument from a neutral pov, imo, is that it would largely solve the border issue overnight. Ireland is already preparing to switch to French ports as opposed to the British ones they used to use.

Blakemore
NI a part of Ireland might be good for Ireland ... the only proclem is a lot of NI going to Liverpool or Glasgow.

dadudemon
Originally posted by -Pr-
That might be true, but a poll run by a British newspaper automatically has alarm bells ringing in my head.

Not that I like it, but it is nice that the UK is plagued with the same kind of media bias that we are.

Misery loves company?

-Pr-
NI a part of Ireland might be good for Ireland ... the only proclem is a lot of NI going to Liverpool or Glasgow.

Hmm?

Originally posted by dadudemon
Not that I like it, but it is nice that the UK is plagued with the same kind of media bias that we are.

Misery loves company?

lol, maybe.

Certain papers that are known for being racist are also known for being pretty anti-Irish whenever they can be, too. It's people like them and The Sun that keep telling people that Ireland is to blame for Brexit.

Blakemore
The protestants who don't wanna live under a united Ireland will likely move to the UK.

Might be an issue.

Surtur
Do you have a 4 leaf clover?

Blakemore
I have a 7 leaf clover dickwad.

Lestov16
Originally posted by Wonder Man
Well God says a kingdom divided cannot stand so if you form a triangle out of Ireland it might unite.

So you're saying sacrifice the souls of the Irish to fuel a Philosopher's Stone? Do Leprechauns have souls or is it replaced with a potato? 🤔....

Blakemore
If you wanna be supernatural about it, God declared independent Ireland after he slayed the dragon.

Lestov16
I hear that Oliver Cromwell said differently...

In all seriousness, I have no idea what to tell you. I'm glad that my American ass doesn't have to deal with this. There are so many IRA Factions that they could fill up a Chinese phone book.

Blakemore
Don't let the IRA scare you, they haven't been an issue since the 90s. It's more a case of protestants fleeing back to Britain and letting Ireland ruin the sights we had. As long as the Irish are happy. Go ahead. Flirt with Europe and America. You think you're the best at boxing? We got more than you, but whatever, you win.

-Pr-
no expression

Blakemore
Ok, I think I went too far there..

Lestov16
Don't let the IRA scare you, they haven't been an issue since the 90s. It's more a case of protestants fleeing back to Britain and letting Ireland ruin the sights we had. As long as the Irish are happy. Go ahead. Flirt with Europe and America. You think you're the best at boxing? We got more than you, but whatever, you win.

💚💚💚

Blakemore
Okay, I'm sorry. I know there are a lot of problems. Apparently Ireland doesn't have trees. Whoops.

Lestov16
The trees know you will get drunk and whoop their ass in a bar brawl

Blakemore
Joking aside, should NI be a part of Ireland?

Lestov16
I guess it really is a matter of who the Northern Irish feel like paying taxes to and who handles their law enforcement

Blakemore
some want to, some don't.... that's the problem.

Lestov16
I will admit, this is a FUBAR quagmire that Ireland is in, mainly due to Brexit. Now that the UK is establishing it's definitive sovereign boundaries, Ireland is at an unavoidable crossroads to establish it's sovereignty or be annexed into the UK, and because of the Anglocentric rhetoric of Brexit, there is zero possibility of mutually shared land.

FIRST OFF HOLY PHUCKING SHIT ANYONE WHO WANTS A DETAILED EXAMPLE OF HOW STUPID AND SHORTSIGHTED BREXIT WAS, HERE YA GO.

Secondly, Biden's ONLY chance is to help the UK reverse Brexit, because if he doesn't, the ethnocentric precedent of Brexit will mean that The Good Friday Agreement will no longer stand, and you'll be helping the IRA perpetrate The Troubles 2: Remembrance Day Bugaloo😐....

Blakemore
Idk, I'm just some guy on the internet

Old Man Whirly!
Idk, I'm just some guy on the internet Me too mate.

Blakemore
hey whirly, i went circle beard, so im evil now xD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.