Brexit deadline

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blakemore
2/1/21 is the deadline, 45 days from now. Johnson has pressure from everyone, and it's looking very ugly!

wGVt3M3V6e8

Thoughts?

Robtard
Bit confused, I thought you people had already lite the Brexit fuse not long after Bojo was elected and it was happening no matte what?

Please explain what happens on 2/1/21.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Robtard
Bit confused, I thought you people had already lite the Brexit fuse not long after Bojo was elected and it was happening no matte what?

Please explain what happens on 2/1/21. If a deal isn't reached by the 2nd of January, it'll be a no deal Brexit. That could be bad for US economy, EU economy and UK economy...or not? I mean, that's literally the beginning of the January sales where everyone starts selling their Amazon Luna and iPhone 12 max pro 5Gs...etc.

So the pressure is Johnson needs to form a deal before then that'll suit the UK, the EU and the US. Biden (catholic, loves Ireland) phoned Johnson regarding the whole thing.

If Johnson can't come up with a deal, it might mean US and EU do business directly and the UK misses out. (side note, this could also mean COVID vaccines...) Then there's the issue of the Irish border and what that means for international imports, migration and foreign policy.

I've said for a long time that I think NI should be a part of Ireland and the UK should still trade with the EU and the US...with a few exceptions I'm not even going to get into now. It's also been known that most immigrants from not only Europe and the US, but really the whole world get British citizenship by first getting Irish citizen due the the loopholes in the good Friday agreement. Then there's the fisheries where Ted Heath signed off British waters as common good for the EU when he joined the EEC and claims he doesn't want to be another Ted Heath.

There's so much to cover Rob, but all eyes on what Johnson's exit deal is if he does give one, and what the fvck will happen or the consequences.

Robtard
Thank you.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Blakemore
It's also been known that most immigrants from not only Europe and the US, but really the whole world get British citizenship by first getting Irish citizen due the the loopholes in the good Friday agreement.

You mean Northern Ireland citizenship, right?

Irish people from the republic don't have an easy time getting British Citizenship. Unless you know a way I haven't heard of, which honestly, I hope you do? A commonwealth passport would make it 10x easier for me to go back to Canada.

Blakemore
Originally posted by -Pr-
You mean Northern Ireland citizenship, right?

Irish people from the republic don't have an easy time getting British Citizenship. Unless you know a way I haven't heard of, which honestly, I hope you do? A commonwealth passport would make it 10x easier for me to go back to Canada. It goes, work in Ireland for a few years and get Ireland citizenship, then work in NI and get NI citizenship, then do work in UK and get UK citizenship, then go to London and shoot each other.

Last part was a joke, incase the thick people didn't get it.

-Pr-
It goes, work in Ireland for a few years and get Ireland citizenship, then work in NI and get NI citizenship, then do work in UK and get UK citizenship, then go to London and shoot each other.

Last part was a joke, incase the thick people didn't get it.

Oh okay. But that would involve living and working in NI for a few years. I mean, eww.

Blakemore
Oh okay. But that would involve living and working in NI for a few years. I mean, eww. haermm You have to elaborate on that.

-Pr-
haermm You have to elaborate on that.

Because Ireland used to be part of the UK, there used to be a way to literally be grandfathered in and get a UK passport if you were born before a certain year. Now, yeah, it would involve moving to NI for a while... a place with a shit economy and **** all job prospects.

Robtard
Irish on Irish hate. The worst kind of hate.

-Pr-
Irish on Irish hate. The worst kind of hate.

The Irish ruined Ireland!

Blakemore
Funniest thing I found out recently is Ireland has no trees. haermm

Robtard
They got loads and loads of shrubbery though

Robtard
Here's the question though: Why aren't they planting trees?

-Pr-
Funniest thing I found out recently is Ireland has no trees. haermm

...What?

Blakemore
...What? Originally posted by Robtard
Here's the question though: Why aren't they planting trees? Apparently a lot of them died.

https://emerald-heritage.com/blog/2018/why-ireland-has-no-trees

If you have the time.

-Pr-
Apparently a lot of them died.

https://emerald-heritage.com/blog/2018/why-ireland-has-no-trees

If you have the time.

Oh right. Because I literally was like "do i need to go and look out my back window to make sure they're still there?".

Blakemore
Oh right. Because I literally was like "do i need to go and look out my back window to make sure they're still there?". I jested, sorry.

So, what's your opinion on the situation, Pr? United Ireland or another more complex good Friday agreement that satisfies everyone/no one?

-Pr-
I jested, sorry.

So, what's your opinion on the situation, Pr? United Ireland or another more complex good Friday agreement that satisfies everyone/no one?

lol np.

Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to adjust the GFA so nobody gets ****ed over. NI is too economically volatile to be absorbed by the Republic, especially with covid. And there's the question of how many people in Northern Ireland want to actually be part of Ireland too. There are just as many, if not more, unionists who want to stay in the UK, than there are Catholics that want to leave and join Ireland.

Old Man Whirly!
The Irish ruined Ireland! nah, that was the British and my grandads Traveller mob, although you can't compare stealing lead tiles from churches to shooting people. So, yeah, 800+ years of the British yolk...

Blakemore
lol np.

Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to adjust the GFA so nobody gets ****ed over. NI is too economically volatile to be absorbed by the Republic, especially with covid. And there's the question of how many people in Northern Ireland want to actually be part of Ireland too. There are just as many, if not more, unionists who want to stay in the UK, than there are Catholics that want to leave and join Ireland. New Good Friday agreement that suits UK needs, Ireland/EU needs and US needs.

Damn, no wonder it's taken so long... hopefully Bo Jo can do his best in 45 **** days!

I mean, that's one thing, what we wanna talk about next? energy or fish?

Blakemore
WKBkDzh0fd8

Channel 4 talking about Johnson's green revolution... This might be good news for the environment.

Surtur
Brexit will be awesome

Blakemore
45 days squirt, 45 days.

Surtur
You must be excited

Blakemore
Originally posted by Surtur
You must be excited Tbh, I'm waiting for more details. It's been a crazy 4 years.

Surtur
so did you vote to brexit or did you vote the wrong way?

smile

Blakemore
so did you vote to brexit or did you vote the wrong way?

smile I was registered at the wrong polling station at the time but would have voted "yes."

Surtur
I was registered at the wrong polling station at the time but would have voted "yes."

O really why?!

Blakemore
O really why?! Moved address about a month before.

Surtur
Moved address about a month before.

No, why would you vote yes?

Blakemore
No, why would you vote yes? It was around the whole immigration crisis/anti-mainstream media/unelected Eurocrats time... 2016

I also liked more control of our fisheries, trade, energy and international relations (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA, South Africa, India, Jamaica etc.) just to name a few.

Surtur
It was around the whole immigration crisis/anti-mainstream media/unelected Eurocrats time... 2016

I also liked more control of our fisheries, trade, energy and international relations (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA, South Africa, India, Jamaica etc.) just to name a few.

So if the vote happened today would you vote yes? I know you said you would have voted yes at the time, but what about now?

Blakemore
So if the vote happened today would you vote yes? I know you said you would have voted yes at the time, but what about now? Well yeah because it was yes last time.

Surtur
Well yeah because it was yes last time.

I thought perhaps something in the last 4 years might have changed your mind.

Blakemore
I thought perhaps something in the last 4 years might have changed your mind. I can't really think of anything that has and yes, I realise Biden might **** this up, so I'm just waiting for some news because right now, it's all up in the air until something is announced.

Surtur
I can't really think of anything that has and yes, I realise Biden might **** this up, so I'm just waiting for some news because right now, it's all up in the air until something is announced.

Intriguing. You feel Biden will be so incompetent as a US president it will have some sort of ripple effect that f*cks up brexit for the UK?

Blakemore
Intriguing. You feel Biden will be so incompetent as a US president it will have some sort of ripple effect that f*cks up brexit for the UK? No, I think Biden putting pressure on Johnson could **** up Brexit and have a ripple effect on the UK and the US. I doubt it though.

Bo Jo: Let's get Brexit done
Jo Bi: We need to get things done now!

Silent Master
I can't really think of anything that has and yes, I realise Biden might **** this up, so I'm just waiting for some news because right now, it's all up in the air until something is announced.

If so, that's what you get for supporting a racist(Biden)

jaden_2.0
Intriguing. You feel Biden will be so incompetent as a US president it will have some sort of ripple effect that f*cks up brexit for the UK?

The consensus for quite some time is that Biden will be less inclined to push for a US/UK trade deal than Trump, thus putting pressure on Johnson to give consessions to the EU to get a deal.

This is already happening with Dominic Cummings being sacked.

Johnson was relying on a US deal happening quickly to offset a no deal with the EU. Now he won't get either.

roughrider
They have passed multiple deadlines already with this. I hope this is the one that has consequences, and we get to see how badly Boris Johnson and his sycophants have ****ed themselves & the country for specious reasons.

Blakemore
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
The consensus for quite some time is that Biden will be less inclined to push for a US/UK trade deal than Trump, thus putting pressure on Johnson to give consessions to the EU to get a deal.

This is already happening with Dominic Cummings being sacked.

Johnson was relying on a US deal happening quickly to offset a no deal with the EU. Now he won't get either. Does that mean stronger relations with the commonwealth over a US centre based trade deal? Because that's what I've wanted from the beginning! Canada style deal baby! This is actually really good as we'll have stronger ties with USA and the commonwealth as well as maintaining trade with the EU.

Artol
I see a couple potential problems with that, for one it is not clear whether commonwealth countries want to have a stronger relationship with the UK, and if they do that would likely include more rights to immigration (from Jamaica, Cameroon and India), which I would suspect is not what a lot of Brexit voting Brits want.

The other problem I see is the relatively weak position the UK is negotiating from, it's not really on the top of the list for most countries, like Jaden said particularly with a Biden presidency, and when the countries want to negotiate a trade deal they will want to get the one most beneficial to them, which will be easier from the weaker position the UK finds itself in.

An example is the recent trade deal that the UK negotiated with Japan. Which might be most accurately described as the "the UK can have the EU's sloppy seconds, if there's any left deal". It's not a great situation economically, imo.

jaden_2.0
Does that mean stronger relations with the commonwealth over a US centre based trade deal? Because that's what I've wanted from the beginning! Canada style deal baby! This is actually really good as we'll have stronger ties with USA and the commonwealth as well as maintaining trade with the EU.

No. Because they've done nothing to pursue that.

And a "Canada style deal" means a deal with the EU similar to the deal Canada has with the EU. Not a deal with Canada similar to what the EU has.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Artol
I see a couple potential problems with that, for one it is not clear whether commonwealth countries want to have a stronger relationship with the UK, and if they do that would likely include more rights to immigration (from Jamaica, Cameroon and India), which I would suspect is not what a lot of Brexit voting Brits want.
We already have a lot of Jamaican, Indian and Nigerian immigration (not sure about Cameroon) in Britain and most Brits, including the Brexiteers are okay with that.

mAGCPqXnORY Here's a Brexiteer I listen to a lot and have subbed to him for a long time. He's not white, which I think was your overall point.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Official_portrait_of_Rishi_Sunak_crop_2.jpg Our Chancellor of the Exchequer.

https://e3.365dm.com/20/11/1600x900/skynews-priti-patel-home-secretary_5160155.jpg?20201103165017 Our home secratary.

We're quite a diverse and tolerant people, it's not like the 70s anymore. There are white people who live in those countries too.

In the video I posted in the OP, Biden went to Johnson first. We're no1 on his list.

Blakemore
Side note A:
I'd like to know how Canada, Australia and NZ feel about this. Since the 80s they've had less and less trade with the UK and more with the US. The US is the biggest influence on them culturally too as can be seen in their media. Watch a NZ or Australian film from the 70s or 80s, and it looks like a classic British heist/drinking/bond film. Watch one after the millennium, it's another westerner/road movie.

Side note B:
When I walk into shops, most of the products are in foreign languages, I can't even read them! I once asked for soap, the guy showed me soup! When I went to Spain a few years ago, a Dutch person was amazed I was English and all the locals loved the fact an English couple would visit Barcelona (we're not together anymore) and American English is taught in more countries than British English. We only have the commonwealth countries and even they do more trade with the US.

The truth is, Britain is no longer as influential as it once was ever since we made the EU our biggest trader. I think the Lisbon treaty made it so Europe would not get involved if the Biritsh government decide to hold a referendum. I guess they thought we'd vote Remain. Showed them!

Blakemore
ixdn_8NFzzU

Farage is going full attack mode. I'm not actually that comfortable with some of the words he used, but we'll see soon enough what Johnson can do.

Blakemore
-nI7NGnjKdo

Still no f'ing deal.

-Pr-
Classic Boris.

Blakemore
Classic Boris. I'm worried. I can't see an alternative.

-Pr-
I'm worried. I can't see an alternative.

I don't either. It would be easy to be snarky and say "I told you so", but tbh, Johnson, Farrage (sp?) et all have ****ing screwed everyone, and they knew exactly what they were doing. And now they're trying to gaslight the British public by claiming they never said they would have a deal in place.

Blakemore

The other problem I see is the relatively weak position the UK is negotiating from, it's not really on the top of the list for most countries, like Jaden said particularly with a Biden presidency, and when the countries want to negotiate a trade deal they will want to get the one most beneficial to them, which will be easier from the weaker position the UK finds itself in.

An example is the recent trade deal that the UK negotiated with Japan. Which might be most accurately described as the "the UK can have the EU's sloppy seconds, if there's any left deal". It's not a great situation economically, imo. First paragraph is wrong. Canadians, Australians, New Zealeanders, Jamacians, Trinidad and Tobagans, Bermudans, Easter Islanders, Malaysians, Honk Kone-ese, ------------- I could go on. I think we all get the point.

I don't either. It would be easy to be snarky and say "I told you so", but tbh, Johnson, Farrage (sp?) et all have ****ing screwed everyone, and they knew exactly what they were doing. And now they're trying to gaslight the British public by claiming they never said they would have a deal in place. They probs just gambled on Trump. erm I wish that wasn't the case.

jaden_2.0
-nI7NGnjKdo

Still no f'ing deal.

There was never any chance of a deal.

This video explained why perfectly and this was when Theresa May was Prime Minister. The UK government have hardened their position under Boris Johnson.

agZ0xISi40E

Blakemore
As I understood it, there were 5 different ways.

1. No brexit.
2. Light brexit similar to Norway
3. Chequers union, May's idea
4. Canada style Brexit so we're close to their deal with the EU. (What I wanted)
5. No deal with the EU.

I guess we're going with a no deal. sad ffs.

jaden_2.0
1. Too late. Already in the transition period.

2. Impossible given that Norway has freedom of movement etc as per the video I posted

3. No idea what that is.

4. The Canada/EU deal took almost a decade to agree and sign. The UK has 3 weeks.

5. That's what it will be

Blakemore
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
1. Too late. Already in the transition period.

2. Impossible given that Norway has freedom of movement etc as per the video I posted

3. No idea what that is.

4. The Canada/EU deal took almost a decade to agree and sign. The UK has 3 weeks.

5. That's what it will be 3 was a compromise, mostly between NI, ROI and GB in creating a water boundary between Ireland and Great Britain. Long story short, it didn't work out. erm

jaden_2.0
Ah yeah. That nonsense border in the sea that would never work.

Blakemore
It never would've.erm

Blakemore
My hopes are we could stabilise a water boundary and be stronger on immigration yet still doing trade with the commonwealth, USA, east Asian countries, south Asian countries and the EU. Having said that, we're still gonna take British waters for ourselves. FU.

Rage.Of.Olympus
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/business/jim-ratcliffe-grenadier-brexit/index.html

"Hambach presented us with a unique opportunity that we simply could not ignore: to buy a modern automotive manufacturing facility with a world-class workforce," Ratcliffe said in a statement.

That honestly reads like an onion piece. I feel bad for many people in the UK. The automotive manufacturing industry was such a big portion of the low-skilled labor, and was a massive contribution to GDP. The uncertainty of Brexit has gutted the industry, and will probably hurt the people who voted for Brexit the most. Even white-collar jobs in finance have been hurt (Declining in posting and capital outflow).

BrolyBlack
Sounds like a job for Thor

Blakemore
xQje_8_SyVQ Delay cemented. Ffs.

Blakemore
LoIQfysYSc Soft Brexit so far, but still Brexit.

Robtard
What's the soft version mean? The highlights at least.

TotesNotSurt
LoIQfysYSc Soft Brexit so far, but still Brexit.

Awesome, the will of the people is being fulfilled.

Blakemore
What's the soft version mean? The highlights at least. It means we're still in the EFTA with Norway, Switzerland and Iceland. Most EU laws still apply.

SupermanFan69
Congrats to all members in the UK!

Robtard
It means we're still in the EFTA with Norway, Switzerland and Iceland. Most EU laws still apply.

Is this going to f**k your economy?

Blakemore
Is this going to f**k your economy? It mostly won't change at all, tbh, but we get to share fisheries with Canada, Norway and Iceland more, so, yay!

Blakemore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGLagjHoc64

Artol
It means we're still in the EFTA with Norway, Switzerland and Iceland. Most EU laws still apply.

That is, as far as I know, not correct. The UK is and will not be part of the EFTA. Unless you have information I have missed.

Blakemore
That is, as far as I know, not correct. The UK is and will not be part of the EFTA. Unless you have information I have missed. Robtard asked what "soft Brexit" meant. That doesn't mean we're going to have it.

Old Man Whirly!
Is this going to f**k your economy? Maybe

-Pr-
Northern Ireland is already feeling it. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Old Man Whirly!
Northern Ireland is already feeling it. I just hope it doesn't get worse. I think it is almost bound to.

Blakemore
That's partly Ireland's fault and responsibility too. Don't blame it all on Brexit, if you are.

-Pr-
That's partly Ireland's fault and responsibility too. Don't blame it all on Brexit, if you are.

How is it Ireland's fault, exactly?

Because we wouldn't give everything the Brits wanted leaving the EU?

Blakemore
How is it Ireland's fault, exactly?

Because we wouldn't give everything the Brits wanted leaving the EU? You opted out the Schengen area like us, but most of our EU migration still comes through you. If you had stricter laws, this would be easier to manage.

-Pr-
You opted out the Schengen area like us, but most of our EU migration still comes through you. If you had stricter laws, this would be easier to manage.

Assuming that was even a valid point, and I'm not sure it is, I don't see how that relates to Brexit or the economy of NI being in the shitter.

Blakemore
Why do you think NI is in the shitter, causality-wise.

-Pr-
Why do you think NI is in the shitter, causality-wise.

Honestly, as good as the GFA has been, I feel like the shadow of "The Troubles" still hasn't been escaped. Years of bad management from both the people in charge in NI (the DUP are ***** btw) and in Westminster on top of that has put the country in very bad shape. Brexit is just the final nail in the coffin, imo.

And now they're in this weird limbo where, despite what Boris and May said, there is essentially a sea border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

Blakemore
Honestly, as good as the GFA has been, I feel like the shadow of "The Troubles" still hasn't been escaped. Years of bad management from both the people in charge in NI (the DUP are ***** btw) and in Westminster on top of that has put the country in very bad shape. Brexit is just the final nail in the coffin, imo.

And now they're in this weird limbo where, despite what Boris and May said, there is essentially a sea border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. Then they should be -or have been- forming negotiations with Ireland and end this silly mess.

Blakemore
we might lose Gibraltar. 3mM4EYokmYg

-Pr-
Then they should be -or have been- forming negotiations with Ireland and end this silly mess.

I agree. They should have, but they were never interested in doing it, and now look what it's got them. NI is already suffering because they just weren't ready for Brexit, and the deal coming so late in the game has meant all kinds of shenanigans.

I'm sure it will smooth it in time, but it won't be overnight, sadly.

Blakemore
U.S.A remove tariffs on Scotch whisky.

1. Scotland gets more sales and money!
2. Americans can enjoy Scotch easier!

Go Brexit; go Biden.

Artol
Did the US get something in return?

I see, this is about punitive tariffs. The UK dropped its tariffs against Boeing and in turn the US dropped its tariffs against Scotch Whisky.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/04/us-to-drop-retaliatory-tariffs-on-uk-exports-including-whisky-brexit-boeing-airbus

Blakemore
Not sure.

Blakemore
I believe it was a good choice ☺️

Blakemore
More Scotch whisky for you stick out tongue

Blakemore
Still waiting on the deadline

-Pr-
It would be easy to just blame Johnson, but the EU isn't helping matters either.

Blakemore
Yes I get what you're saying. I sympathize.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.