DDM, I dunno man..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Remember that set of numbers I kept seeing, and you said it's nothing, it just seems worse then it is because I'm looking for it?

Other day, a laptop sent from QVC had ram with those same three numbers.

Today, two Chinese fishing calls, last three digits were the three numbers.

A random Google search about five days ago turns up those three numbers.

All told, I think in a week, those digits popped up at least five times (Counting the Corona page)

What are the odds?

Bashar Teg
our universe is littered with coincidence. if you were always looking for another set of numbers, they would have turned up as well. however you missed them all because you weren't looking for those other numbers

ButtSurt
Originally posted by cdtm
Remember that set of numbers I kept seeing, and you said it's nothing, it just seems worse then it is because I'm looking for it?

All told, I think in a week, those digits popped up at least five times (Counting the Corona page)

What are the odds?

I don't understand, is this some "The Number 23" type of thing?

ButtSurt
CDTM have you ever seen the documentary series Hellier? It's all about synchronicities, etc.

It's on youtube for free. Also on amazon prime.

cdtm
Originally posted by ButtSurt
I don't understand, is this some "The Number 23" type of thing?

Nope.

DDM knows what I'm talking about (And I bet Teg does, too. And much appreciated, sometimes you just need to hear it. thumb up )

ButtSurt
Okay but why not explain :/

Bashar Teg
There was something semi-related on an NPR show like 10 years ago. might have been radio lab. It described an exercise/experiment, the point of which was to show that our perception of normal odds can actually be the most wildly speculative.

In this exercise, participants were first told to imagine a series of coin flips, and list every result. typically people would keep it ordered. "heads, tails, tails, heads, tails, heads, heads, tails . because a coin toss is 50/50 chance, that's what they expect to see.

Then the participants were told to flip a real coin and document the results. in all cases, extensive coincidences always happened. 4,5,6,7,8(Etc) consective flips with the same side turning up.

ButtSurt
https://media4.giphy.com/media/DHqth0hVQoIzS/giphy.gif

Bashar Teg
(And I bet Teg does, too.

I only deduced that you were hung up on some reoccurring numeric coincidence.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
There was something semi-related on an NPR show like 10 years ago. might have been radio lab. It described an exercise/experiment, the point of which was to show that our perception of normal odds can actually be the most wildly speculative.

In this exercise, participants were first told to imagine a series of coin flips, and list every result. typically people would keep it ordered. "heads, tails, tails, heads, tails, heads, heads, tails . because a coin toss is 50/50 chance, that's what they expect to see.

Then the participants were told to flip a real coin and document the results. in all cases, extensive coincidences always happened. 4,5,6,7,8(Etc) convective flips with the same side turning up. Actually, because of the way a coin is formed, the weight is distributed more to the heads side, meaning it will have more priority in landing on that side so go for tails!

ButtSurt
Is coin collecting a hobby of yours

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Blakemore
Actually, because of the way a coin is formed, the weight is distributed more to the heads side, meaning it will have more priority in landing on that side so go for tails!

true, but that plays further into the illusion of ordered chance. You'll still get the same results. Try it. do 50 flips. if you don't see at least one 5-in-row streak of tails, I'll eat crow.

Blakemore
No.

Blakemore
true, but that plays further into the illusion of ordered chance. You'll still get the same results. Try it. do 50 flips. if you don't see at least one 5-in-row streak of tails, I'll eat crow. There's also the factor of flipping it onto the back of your other hand, which I always thought was a dick move.

ButtSurt
My cottage in indiana has train tracks right behind the backyard and as a kid we would put coins on the tracks to flatten

Artol

What are the odds?

Is it 420...?

cdtm
There's also the factor of flipping it onto the back of your other hand, which I always thought was a dick move.

Hate that. We all know what you're doing, you insult both of us.

Blakemore
Also I'm too lazy to flip a coin 50 times in a row. yawn

Bashar Teg
you don't have to because you know it's true wink

Surtaki1
Also I'm too lazy to flip a coin 50 times in a row. yawn

Make a drinking game out of it

Bashar Teg
...or you could make an opiate abuse game out of it

Blakemore
you don't have to because you know it's true wink Hahaha, still not doing it.

Blakemore
...or you could make an opiate abuse game out of it haermm savage!

Surtaki1
...or you could make an opiate abuse game out of it

You could make a brain injury game out of it.

You'd win every time smile

Blakemore
Originally posted by Surtaki1
You could make a brain injury game out of it.

You'd win every time smile Maybe you should just swallow coins. Zinc is good for you anyway.

Surtaki1
You've accidentally swallowed several coins haven't you.

Bashar Teg
I recovered from my injury a while ago. how's your back tho?

Surtaki1
Blake I've told you that your tummy is NOT a piggy bank

Surtaki1
I recovered from my injury a while ago. how's your back tho?

You did? So were you acting unstable just to throw us off or is this your natural state?

Blakemore
The opiates have kicked in.

Surtaki1
Well yes

Bashar Teg
I was hospitalized in mid-late october for 2 weeks, and I got better. that's what normally happens with debilitating injury, not that you'd know

Blakemore
Wah, I have back pain.

Surtaki1
Wah, I have back pain.

That sucks, did you fall down while drunk and hurt yourself?

Bashar Teg
are all opiate addicts this weird, obsessing over alcoholism, as if that's somehow worse?

Surtaki1
Only the really cool and popular ones

Flyattractor
Anybody else notice how Bashy is the ONLY One that ever really brings up Drugs and is always accusing others of abusing them?

Surtzilla
It's projection. His sisters used to force him to take thorazine a lot.

cdtm
I was hospitalized in mid-late october for 2 weeks, and I got better. that's what normally happens with debilitating injury, not that you'd know

Indeed. Unless you're an *******.

Talking specifically about this guy I knew who kept getting into fender benders, and games the system like a kid gaming his parents credit card in a mobile game. His doctor even caught the bastard jogging on the beach, never said a word.

Surtenstein
U mean he would wreck the car on purpose?

cdtm
Originally posted by Surtenstein
U mean he would wreck the car on purpose?

He would get tapped, and fake a back injury for the money.

Three times, he did this. That I know of.

Surtenstein
Oh so he was like working with an ambulance chaser or some shit?

snowdragon
WTF is wrong with this thread so much f-n assclownery, so many problems blaming problems........

Surtenstein

Blakemore
Sarah Palin gave birth to a trig baby and named it Trig. True story.

Surtenstein
Wut

Flyattractor
Blakemore is finding Pleasure in the pain of Special Needs Children because of "MUH POLTIKS!"

BruceSkywalker

What are the odds?

you are in the mirror universe big grin big grin

dadudemon

What are the odds?

What you're experiencing is called the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

Once you notice a pattern, face, name, situation, etc., depending on how your brain processes future stimuli, you'll start noticing it all over the place.

The only way to ground yourself and help yourself feel better about seeing the same thing over and over is to check yourself against the frequency of those things naturally occurring.

For example, you are likely to see hundreds of numbers each day. You just don't notice them. But if you're fixated on a specific 3-digit integer, like you are now, you'll notice it a lot. The first 1,000 positive integers (or 'whole numbers') of the base-10 number system are amazingly common in everyday life. If you start taking note of EVERYWHERE you see them, you will see how common numbers really are.

Take a step back at the phone number you mentioned. A phone number is a set of 10 digits. You are fixated on 3 specific digits in a specific sequence. But what about the other 7 numbers that were NOT in that same sequence? What about other phone numbers you were exposed to during the day but simply didn't notice because you were only noticing that specific 3 number sequence?

Like, right now, on my computer, I can take note of about 25 different sets of numbers. It's all over my screen. The date. The time. Character counts. Page numbers. PostIDs, time stamps from messages, URL numbers, inbox unread messages, etc. You get the idea. Since almost ever last one of those numbers are within the set of all whole numbers less than 1,000, how often will I be able to fixate on exactly 3 digits in a specific sequence even if I can see 10 digit numbers? Quite often. Very often, in fact.

So when your mind gets stuck in the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon, check your reality against realistic probabilities of the observed object actually showing up in your everyday experiences.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.