Obi-Wan Kenobi - The Series

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
Details are scarce atm, but what we do know is this:

-Ewan McGregor returning to play Obi-Wan (obviously).
-Set 10 years after Revenge of the Sith.
-Series will be directed by Deborah Chow, who previously worked on The Mandalorian.
-Hayden Christensen has signed on again, but to my surprise (and possible disappointment) they state that he's playing Vader, as opposed to Anakin.
-Ewan McGregor said previously that shooting would start in March 2021, but who knows if Covid will push that back. If it doesn't, the plan is to release in 2022.

There were rumours a while back that the show would have McGregor, Christensen and Temuera Morrison, and would have a bunch of flashbacks to the Clone Wars. Instead, with Hayden being Vader and Kathleen Kennedy explicitly using the word "rematch", who knows what kind of ****ery we're gonna see. Still, fingers crossed.

Eli Vanto
Ya that's what I'm curious about. Kennedy said it will be the "rematch of the century". So does that mean Vader and Obi-wan are going to fight in this? confused

Darth Thor
They are definitely fighting. That statement outright confirms it. Honestly I knew Disney wouldnt be able to resist that.

Im sure Hayden will be used for flashbacks as well, rather than the odd image where we see Vaders deformed face under the mask.

Galan007
If they actually fight one another in this show, it would cheapen their confrontation in ANH tremendously for me. Moreover, Vader's dialogue(ie. "When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the Master"wink becomes completely nonsensical. It would also retcon other canon supplementary material(like From A Certain POV and various guidebooks), which state that Vader and Kenobi only fought twice: during RotS and during ANH. So hopefully the "rematch of the century" blurb is just a red herring to help hype the show, and not literal.

Or perhaps the "rematch" could refer to Kenobi/Vader engaging in a battle of wits from afar, and/or some sort of 'meta' confrontation(ie. through visions in the Force)... Which I'd be a lot more comfortable with.

This is only supposed to be a 6 episode limited series, so hopefully it won't be centered entirely around the Kenobi/Vader dynamic(I'd like something new), but we'll see. Hell, it would actually be a good time to introduce live action Inquisitors, or a live action Thrawn, or even someone entirely new(like A'Sharad Hett, for example.) /shrug

ares834
Vader fighting Obi-Wan would be terrible. But it's the exact kinda garbage that I'd expect from Disney.

Darth Thor

Galan007
I wouldn't be surprised. I'd just be... Disappointed. ermm

-Pr-
Originally posted by Galan007
I wouldn't be surprised. I'd just be... Disappointed. ermm

Yeah, exactly.

Bentley
I hope Kenobi decapitates Vader since that's how much we are respecting canon

Sheev
Really looking forward to Ewan reprising his role as kenobi.

but like the others have said, I really hope he doesn't actually fight Vader in this.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Bentley
I hope Kenobi decapitates Vader since that's how much we are respecting canon

laughing

samhain
If it's set after ROTS, then I'm not surprised he's playing Vader and not Anakin, he'd ceased to be Anakin at that point.

I think a straight fight between OB1 and Vader would be disrespectful to the fanbase, a TK battle along the lines of Gandalf Vs Saruman in Fellowship could be okay I guess. Or the two of them could be separated by one of those red electrical barrier things (like Kenobi Vs Maul in TPM) and they wind up tearing the ship they are both on apart meaning they both have to flee.

Robtard
"Set 10 years after Revenge of the Sith."

That will work with the aging, especially with Ewan's natural youthful appearance.

I agree with everyone who said they should not have Obi and Vader facing off. Would take a massive dump on continuity of eps 1-6. Have Vader in this though.

Surtur
I'm indifferent to this show, we shall see.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Robtard
"Set 10 years after Revenge of the Sith."

That will work with the aging, especially with Ewan's natural youthful appearance.

I agree with everyone who said they should not have Obi and Vader facing off. Would take a massive dump on continuity of eps 1-6. Have Vader in this though.

Someone brought up the idea of a telepathic fight. Kind of like fighting in the Astral Plane. That could actually explain bringing Hayden back. I mean its not like they need Hayden in the suit.

But in all probability I doubt Disney will resist a full on Kenobi vs Vader rematch.

Surtur
hopefully the series explains why he didnt just kill anakin when he had the chance

u dont leave f*cking evil space jesus alive and just assume his injuries will eventually kill him.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Surtur
hopefully the series explains why he didnt just kill anakin when he had the chance

u dont leave f*cking evil space jesus alive and just assume his injuries will eventually kill him.

Dont think Jedi are supposed to attack defenceless opponents. Hence why Anakin knew he should not have killed Dooku.

That said, leaving him to burn was pretty sadistic.

Originally posted by Surtur
I'm indifferent to this show, we shall see.

Theres honestly no need for it.

I appreciate giving the prequels some love now, but I feel like Disney is still missing the point of what fans want.

New stuff. But without f***ing up the old stuff.

For this time period a Quinlan Vos show would have been perfect IMO.

-Pr-
I always had the impression that Obi-Wan thought Anakin was gonna die anyway. He'd cut him to pieces, and left him on the bank of a river of lava. That, and it's easy to do something in the heat of the moment. Walking over and just stabbing him in the head would have been pretty macabre imo.

Not that it was a good decision, mind you. Just saying I think it's understandable.

Surtur
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Dont think Jedi are supposed to attack defenceless opponents. Hence why Anakin knew he should not have killed Dooku.

That said, leaving him to burn was pretty sadistic.

Theres honestly no need for it.

I appreciate giving the prequels some love now, but I feel like Disney is still missing the point of what fans want.

New stuff. But without f***ing up the old stuff.

For this time period a Quinlan Vos show would have been perfect IMO.

Jedi are also supposed to show compassion. He could have ended his suffering or tried to help him.

I want a show set during the old republic. Show Revan or Exar Kun.

Galan007
In Legends, it was implied that Kenobi didn't finish the job because he sensed Palpatine's imminent arrival on Mustafar, and basically had to flee asap.

Robtard
Someone brought up the idea of a telepathic fight. Kind of like fighting in the Astral Plane. That could actually explain bringing Hayden back. I mean its not like they need Hayden in the suit.

But in all probability I doubt Disney will resist a full on Kenobi vs Vader rematch.

Yeah, not sure I'd want that either.

Robtard
In Legends, it was implied that Kenobi didn't finish the job because he sensed Palpatine's imminent arrival on Mustafar, and basically had to flee asap.

Sounds like a "but Greedo shot first!" after the fact, as it's understandable that Obi still loved Anakin and couldn't finish the job, but it was also outright cruel to leave him to a slow burning death.

Darth Thor
Yeah, not sure I'd want that either.

Honestly I dont even want a Kenobi show. Literally no need for one.

Robtard
Honestly I dont even want a Kenobi show. Literally no need for one.

Eh, there's a bunch of history/time between the end of Ep3 and beginning of Ep4, if they do it right, they can entertain without shitting on continuity and Ewan was a wonderful Obi. So I'm looking forward to it.

carthage
Kenobis development on Tattooine and protecting Luke interests me way more than anything he did in TCW

samhain
I'm looking forward to the episode where he forgets all about R2-D2. And the one where he forgets about Qui-Gon. Perhaps that'll be in the same episode.

Surtur

He literally just needed to flick his wrist so he went into the lava. He could have done it while running.

Surtur
Originally posted by samhain
I'm looking forward to the episode where he forgets all about R2-D2. And the one where he forgets about Qui-Gon. Perhaps that'll be in the same episode.

And where Qui Gon explains why he learned the secret to immortality and never told him.

Darth Thor
Eh, there's a bunch of history/time between the end of Ep3 and beginning of Ep4, if they do it right, they can entertain without shitting on continuity and Ewan was a wonderful Obi. So I'm looking forward to it.

Hes a great Obi. I just dont think theres a need for this show. Theres lots of other characters to explore, lots more interesting stories to tell.

And was always going to be difficult making an entertaining show with him just hanging out on Tatooine. So screwing up continuity kind of came with the territory here methinks.

Im looking forward to how no one will be able to call him Obi-Wan.

Surtur
Han Solo was always kind of an a-hole to ol' Ben Kenobi.

So of course he named his evil kid after him.

"He's evil"

"I know"

samhain
And was always going to be difficult making an entertaining show with him just hanging out on Tatooine. So screwing up continuity kind of came with the territory here methinks.

Im looking forward to how no one will be able to call him Obi-Wan.

They don't really have to keep him on Tatooine all the time, there's nothing to stop him going off to prevent Imperial forces getting back to the Emperor with info on Luke's existence, taking him away from Tatooine for what could be whole story arcs on their own.

My God yes, I forgot about his genius decision to change his name to Ben, they should explain that too, along with how it was enough to evade Imperial detection for 19 years.

Surtur
who even gave ben his obi wan name why wasn't his original name good enough?

Zenwolf
They don't really have to keep him on Tatooine all the time, there's nothing to stop him going off to prevent Imperial forces getting back to the Emperor with info on Luke's existence, taking him away from Tatooine for what could be whole story arcs on their own.

Why or how would they know Luke's importance? They don't even know his name.

samhain
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Why or how would they know Luke's importance? They don't even know his name.

That was an off hand example, just saying that it's not too difficult to come up with reasons for OB1 leaving Tatooine. It's not a challenging hurdle IMO.

Darth Thor
That was an off hand example, just saying that it's not too difficult to come up with reasons for OB1 leaving Tatooine. It's not a challenging hurdle IMO.

Point is Its risking messing with canon for no reason.

Theres simply no real need for this show IMHO. Its attempted fan service because people like Ewans Obi. Vader being in this is all the proof we need its intent is fan service.

And its not like we dont already have plenty of Obi-Wan in canon.

Surtur
It feels like they are overloading us with Star Wars shows and movies. Which shows that no matter what too much of a good thing can be bad.

In addition to these tv shows I have no doubt Disney is scheming up another trilogy because why wouldn't they? They're more or less guaranteed to make at least a billion on each movie.

BruceSkywalker
I hope somehow A'Sharad Hett is in this

samhain
Point is Its risking messing with canon for no reason.

Theres simply no real need for this show IMHO. Its attempted fan service because people like Ewans Obi. Vader being in this is all the proof we need its intent is fan service.

And its not like we dont already have plenty of Obi-Wan in canon.

Don't disagree with anything you are saying, nor did I, literally just making the point that it won't take a team of Shakespeare clones to come up with a reason to leave Tatooine for an episode here or an episode there.

Darth Thor
Don't disagree with anything you are saying, nor did I, literally just making the point that it won't take a team of Shakespeare clones to come up with a reason to leave Tatooine for an episode here or an episode there.

Yeah true.

Total Warrior
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1376534672843239435?s=21

The cast has been revealed in this tweet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.