No. All cultures are not equal.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Neon1234
In my Communications class, our teacher told us that ethnocentrism is bad because no ones' culture is superior to another.

Of course I was taken aback by such a statement.

There are things that cultures do that we would find immoral, slavery, persecution of homosexuals, etc.

All things equal, a culture that practices and/or supports things like those, is not equal to one that doesn't.

We are better than them.

Downstairsconve
Preach!

Downstairsconve
We are only better because we resist our urges, so why do the other cultures survive? Why are women migrating away from the best culture?

Who is pussy blocking all the pussy in "woman-law"?

Of course hope is just a possible delusion, yet there is a case for Watson VR

jaden_2.0
Who's the "we" and "them"?

Downstairsconve
You! Ya dumbass

Neon1234
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Who's the "we" and "them"?

We: Our culture.

Them: Cultures that practice/and or supports immoral behavior.

Downstairsconve
Idk you! Never met you. If you're not in Keira Knightley's skin I probably wouldn't care to. If you were in Keira Knightley's skin and acted stupid I still would ask you to kindly bounce away from my humble/egocentric presence

ares834

Bashar Teg
once again not-eon, bored and privileged on a sunday, needs to feel superior to others.

Neon1234

Old Man Whirly!
What metric are you using? And as Jaden asks, who are us and them? As, the US isn't one culture from state to state even. Europe certainly isn't.

Neon1234
I explained in my opening post.

truejedi
What is United States culture, out of curiosity? I've lived here all my life, and I'm not sure what we could really consider united States culture. Great melting pot indeed.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Neon1234
I explained in my opening post. Tell me what you think of cultures who have an underclass in poverty for the hiring time?

What do you think of "black codes" for the most disadvantaged in many Southern states?

Neon1234
Originally posted by truejedi
What is United States culture, out of curiosity? I've lived here all my life, and I'm not sure what we could really consider united States culture. Great melting pot indeed.

Way too specific.

I'm talking in general.

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Tell me what you think of cultures who have an underclass in poverty for the hiring time?

What do you think of "black codes" for the most disadvantaged in many Southern states?

What do you mean by "hiring?"

Neon1234
I see you edited your post Whirly.

I'm not familiar with "black codes."

Old Man Whirly!
Way too specific.

I'm talking in general.

What do you mean by "hiring?" laughing out loud Do a bit of reading not Eon

Neon1234
You edited your post.

So laughing out loud at yourself.

Old Man Whirly!
What about it being illegal to be homeless? that seems a bit bad to me, yes I added some information.

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/12/27/being-homeless-not-crime

Trocity
White people have no culture.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Trocity
White people have no culture. laughing out loud I think everyone has a culture and to be honest it even varies in places with as smaller populations as the UK or Spain. The troubles in Northern Ireland, Iberia etc. Look at Qubecians in your own country Tro!

ares834

Neon1234

Downstairsconve
You think isolation hurts me so has that I would grovel?

Downstairsconve
It's making me meaner in the soul. But less violent

Neon1234
laughing out loud I think everyone has a culture and to be honest it even varies in places with as smaller populations as the UK or Spain. The troubles in Northern Ireland, Iberia etc. Look at Qubecians in your own country Tro!

The term is Quebecers.

Downstairsconve
White people have no culture. Don't associate.

Old Man Whirly!

Neon1234
So give me a metric to use, is it the way we treat other cultures? Give me a metric to compare evenly... Is it our great pasts of Planatations?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/31/trumps-blackwater-pardons-an-affront-to-justice-un-experts

What does Trump have to do with this thread?

Old Man Whirly!
The term is Quebecers. Varies

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Quebecian

Old Man Whirly!
What does Trump have to do with this thread? He is President of your Culture and pardoned people who behaved badly to another cultures people and went against international human rights.

ares834
What does Trump have to do with this thread?

At this point he's just gaslighting.

Neon1234
He is President of your Culture and pardoned people who behaved badly to another cultures people and went against international human rights.

Okay Whirly.

Back on topic.

Does anyone disagree that some cultures are better than others?

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by ares834
At this point he's just gaslighting. Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
He is President of your Culture and pardoned people who behaved badly to another cultures people and went against international human rights. So he didn't do that and put your country down in the eyes of other cultures? Give me a metric.

Neon1234

thumb up

Old Man Whirly!
You say your culture has corrupt elections... Personally I don't agree. What kind of Culture has that, I don't like Brexit, but within the system that was the result. You actually believe your democracy was subverted.

Neon1234
You say your culture has corrupt elections... Personally I don't agree. What kind of Culture has that, I don't like Brexit, but within the system that was the result. You actually believe your democracy was subverted.

I'm so glad I've triggered you Whirly.

You can't even answer a simple question.

Keep deflecting.

Old Man Whirly!
I'm so glad I've triggered you Whirly.

You can't even answer a simple question.

Keep deflecting. As I thought no answer. So, we'll move on. laughing out loud

Neon1234
As I thought no answer. So, we'll move on. laughing out loud

Blakemore
We: Our culture.

Them: Cultures that practice/and or supports immoral behavior. Like Minnesota?

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Blakemore
Like Minnesota? laughing out loudthumb up

Neon1234
So glad I've triggered all the Leftists.

Old Man Whirly!
So glad I've triggered all the Leftists. Eon, your mask is slipping. laughing out loud

Artol

Neon1234
Eon, your mask is slipping. laughing out loud

I'm Neon.

Neon1234
Thank you Artol for your post.

I have the same Professor for Communications 2 starting Jan 11th.

She might bring it up again or not.

I'm not sure if I'll bring it up.

Artol

I'd be interested to hear an update, it's an interesting topic for sure. I wonder if she has some more theories behind to back up the relatively simplistic assertions or if it is just an empty phrase to her.

Old Man Whirly!

Artol

If you want to challenge her and see how she responds you could phrase it in a way that you might suspect she disagrees with. So for example you could say, do you think that the peaceful culture of the Native Americans is morally equal to that of the American settlers that killed them and took their land, while instituting chattel slavery?

That would be somewhat provocative, I'd be interested to hear her reply, but you could also go at it in a milder manner and give more varied examples.

Neon1234
As much as a part of me wants to do that, I'm fearful some of the other classmates agree with her and a fight? might start.

Neon1234
So what I've learnt from this thread, is that Whirly doesn't realize some cultures are superior to others.

I'm sure he thinks the Western world is horrible and oppressive.

Old Man Whirly!
As much as a part of me wants to do that, I'm fearful some of the other classmates agree with her and a fight? might start. Yeah, they probably won't legitimise prejudice tbh.

Artol
As much as a part of me wants to do that, I'm fearful some of the other classmates agree with her and a fight? might start.

Well, you don't need to be confrontational, you could just say "I didn't quite understand the point" give your example and ask her to clarify and explain what she meant.

And if people jump in you can just listen, you don't have to engage, wouldn't be ideal.

Neon1234
Yeah, they probably won't legitimise prejudice tbh.

Yes, because saying not all cultures are equal is prejudice.

Are you retarded?

Neon1234
Originally posted by Artol
Well, you don't need to be confrontational, you could just say "I didn't quite understand the point" give your example and ask her to clarify and explain what she meant.

And if people jump in you can just listen, you don't have to engage, wouldn't be ideal.

That sounds like a good way to go about it.

But I'm worried I may "out myself" as a Conservative if I question that.

Artol
Yeah, I mean you must gauge how comfortable you are revealing any of your politics, and how worried you are that you might get repercussions for it. If she's a good teacher that should not be the case, but of course that's not necessarily how things always go. I do think you can go about it without revealing your own politics, but it's up to you really. You could also maybe just email her and ask her what that means exactly, I mean she is there to teach you stuff.

Neon1234
That's the thing, teachers are not there just to teach anymore, I feel like Colleges are indoctrination factories.

It's quite obvious that they push a narrative.

Artol
Depending on the department you can usually find some bias in one way or another that is true. You generally don't have to worry that they are too left wing economically though, lol. Idk, try to get what you can out of it, I guess, a lot of information you get in academia is pretty good, and I think in many ways, especially when talking about the social sciences, it's more the material that makes people view things a bit more left compared to their conservative surroundings, which I don't think is a bad thing, per se. And if you look at like economics departments, you can find a lot of right wingers or libertarians there as well. But I get what you mean, since everything is framed in a culture war kind of way it is difficult now to bear disagreement and that's the same for university lectures, who may see things in a very ideological way and may forget that their job is helping people learn through that partisan lens.

Trocity
laughing out loud I think everyone has a culture and to be honest it even varies in places with as smaller populations as the UK or Spain. The troubles in Northern Ireland, Iberia etc. Look at Qubecians in your own country Tro!

Definitely, was just poking fun. laughing out loud

Montreal/Quebec City are cool places to visit, great night life.

victreebelvictr
So glad I've triggered all the Leftists. Yes. laughing out loud

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by truejedi

That is why his entire objection is retarded. Cultures are not monolithic. A particular culture may be good in one area, and bad in another. Or might be measured on a continuum from bad to good across various human rights dimensions. Hell, we have wildly divergent attitudes in different geographic regions in this country. This is just more simple, black and white thinking from underdeveloped conservative minds.

Artol
But like, leaving aside some general limits to morality and where it comes from, I feel like most of us agree that the culture the nazis built was bad, and that there are many cultures that are better than that. I agree that things are nuanced, and that these concepts can and are often misused, but I personally don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater, even as I appreciate a lot of the work that post-modernists have done in challenging ideologies and simplistic narratives.

Artol
Or to put it in terms of the OP, unreflected ethnocentrism is bad, but sometimes some of the things "your own group" does is just better than what another group does...

Downstairsconve
Or to put it in terms of the OP, unreflected ethnocentrism is bad, but sometimes some of the things "your own group" does is just better than what another group does... I don't know who I'm talking to half of the time. It's so much less dynamic this way. Wish I had some down time, but apparently God is always watching you.

Wonder Man

Neon1234

meep-meep
Well put on all points Artol.

Downstairsconve
The most successful culture is the one that made a 6,000 foot long batwing that can supposedly beat expansion. Intergalactic

NemeBro

I'm not sure if I'll bring it up. You could grow a pair of testicles and try to talk to her about it after class. Ask her why she believes all cultures are equal, etc. That's what I did when I was in college, I even got into an argument with my comp professor in front of the class on whether or not Lolita is pre-pederasty or not (it's not).

NemeBro
So what I've learnt from this thread, is that Whirly doesn't realize some cultures are superior to others.

I'm sure he thinks the Western world is horrible and oppressive.

Do you think that the "western world" being superior to some (or even all) other cultures in the world means that the "western world" then can not be horrible and oppressive?

NemeBro
Yes, because saying not all cultures are equal is prejudice.

Are you retarded? No, but I think the guy falling hook line and sinker for lazy trolling might be. thumb up

Downstairsconve
Originally posted by NemeBro
Do you think that the "western world" being superior to some (or even all) other cultures in the world means that the "western world" then can not be horrible and oppressive? Bop8kb2dgNs

Downstairsconve
Shame

Downstairsconve
No, but I think the guy falling hook line and sinker for lazy trolling might be. thumb up I make millions of after-hour stripper dollars for it.

Downstairsconve
Let us 🙏 for that one

cdtm
You could grow a pair of testicles and try to talk to her about it after class. Ask her why she believes all cultures are equal, etc. That's what I did when I was in college, I even got into an argument with my comp professor in front of the class on whether or not Lolita is pre-pederasty or not (it's not).

I haven't read Lolita nor seen the movie, but isn't it about a middle aged academic obsessing with a 12 year old girl? Sounds pretty paedobear to me..

NemeBro
But like, leaving aside some general limits to morality and where it comes from, I feel like most of us agree that the culture the nazis built was bad, and that there are many cultures that are better than that. I agree that things are nuanced, and that these concepts can and are often misused, but I personally don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater, even as I appreciate a lot of the work that post-modernists have done in challenging ideologies and simplistic narratives. Nazi Germany is I think a case where the negative aspects of the culture are so hugely detrimental to the livelihoods of enough people that they outweigh any of the positive aspects, if any exist (tbh their perspective on race pretty much dominates all casual discussion of them and I haven't research the culture of Germany at the time enough to know if there were any positives).

Adam is definitely right in that "cultures" are not monolithic and they can carry both positive and negative aspects. Iran's treatment of homosexuals is deplorable, but their treatment of transgendered people (going off memory I might be mistaken) is actually by comparison much more accepting, for example.

cdtm
Nazi Germany is I think a case where the negative aspects of the culture are so hugely detrimental to the livelihoods of enough people that they outweigh any of the positive aspects, if any exist (tbh their perspective on race pretty much dominates all casual discussion of them and I haven't research the culture of Germany at the time enough to know if there were any positives).

Adam is definitely right in that "cultures" are not monolithic and they can carry both positive and negative aspects. Iran's treatment of homosexuals is deplorable, but their treatment of transgendered people (going off memory I might be mistaken) is actually by comparison much more accepting, for example.

Interesting.

Isn't Iran second behind Thailand for transition surgery? Is transgenderism embraced because its seen as a cash cow industry?

Downstairsconve
Poor Trump will never learn

fxriLTLhyyY

Downstairsconve
dsx2vdn7gpY

cdtm
Nazi Germany is I think a case where the negative aspects of the culture are so hugely detrimental to the livelihoods of enough people that they outweigh any of the positive aspects, if any exist (tbh their perspective on race pretty much dominates all casual discussion of them and I haven't research the culture of Germany at the time enough to know if there were any positives).

I did a quick 15 minute search for Iran and Transgenderism.

Found this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/889548/everyone-treated-me-like-a-saint-in-iran-theres-only-one-way-to-survive-as-a-transgender-person/amp/

I gather this Maryam Khatoon Molkara wasn't an average person. Not if she had friends among high level clerics.

If Iran is tolerant of trans people, it sadly appears this is lesz due to grassroots activism, and more because someone important enough for their situation to matter, used their connections to enact change for personal reasons.

Yeah, its to the benefit of many other people, so I can't complain about the outcome. I still reflexively hate to see examples of two tiered justice, where only privileged people get to move social norms, instead of the masses who actually make a society...

Downstairsconve
Too many dudes not enough females

Downstairsconve
It benefits the other side of time-thought marginally more

Old Man Whirly!
Definitely, was just poking fun. laughing out loud

Montreal/Quebec City are cool places to visit, great night life. Yeah, they are, I actual spent time in Qurbec in winter once, it was ****ing cold but the nightlife was superb.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by cdtm
Interesting.

Isn't Iran second behind Thailand for transition surgery? Is transgenderism embraced because its seen as a cash cow industry?

It is because the concept of transgender did not exist at the time of the writing of their holy book. So because their holy texts are silent about it, they have no prohibition against it. Another reason why they appear to be more accepting of it, is because forced sexual reassignment is how they "cure" homosexuality in their culture. If you are a man who has sex with men, you must transition to a woman or be executed. It is almost like I said, that cultures are not monolithic, and they can be good in one area and bad in another.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
It is because the concept of transgender did not exist at the time of the writing of their holy book. So because their holy texts are silent about it, they have no prohibition against it. Another reason why they appear to be more accepting of it, is because forced sexual reassignment is how they "cure" homosexuality in their culture. If you are a man who has sex with men, you must transition to a woman or be executed. It is almost like I said, that cultures are not monolithic, and they can be good in one area and bad in another. this is true as I stated earlier, you can't use a single metric to define a society.

victreebelvictr
The concept of cross dressing and homosexuality has been a thing since the beginning of mankind really.

I personally discourage it extremely, and any society that supports it is disturbingly corrupted.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by victreebelvictr
The concept of cross dressing and homosexuality has been a thing since the beginning of mankind really.

I personally discourage it extremely, and any society that supports it is disturbingly corrupted.

so basically you're a piece of shit?

Old Man Whirly!

I personally discourage it extremely, and any society that supports it is disturbingly corrupted. N eon... thoughts on your friend? laughing out loud

Neon1234

cdtm
this is true as I stated earlier, you can't use a single metric to define a society.

Doesn't stop people from doing it to salve national pride, though.

I mean, Brits do it all the time, they love talking down to Americans based any number of flaws that prove UK better America.

At least Brits get to have national pride, though. Here in the US, the only one who get to do that are rednecks, white nationalists, and racists. The "good" Democrats are supposed to hate America as much as other countries do.

One of the bad features of Democrats, imo, if you can't be an advocate for your own country, who can?

Old Man Whirly!
Doesn't stop people from doing it to salve national pride, though.

I mean, Brits do it all the time, they love talking down to Americans based any number of flaws that prove UK better America.

At least Brits get to have national pride, though. Here in the US, the only one who get to do that are rednecks, white nationalists, and racists. The "good" Democrats are supposed to hate America as much as other countries do.

One of the bad features of Democrats, imo, if you can't be an advocate for your own country, who can? Well yes, look at British Covid. It's the best Covid in the world. You show me a better Covid. Developed in the UK. It's a world beater, people said we would struggle to export anything after Brexit, British Covid is our biggest trade deal ever and proves no one does it beater than Britain. Far more virulent than Chinese Covid. Britain has a Covid we can be proud of.

Wonder Man

cdtm
Well yes, look at British Covid. It's the best Covid in the world. You show me a better Covid. Developed in the UK. It's a world beater, people said we would struggle to export anything after Brexit, British Covid is our biggest trade deal ever and proves no one does it beater than Britain. Far more virulent than Chinese Covid. Britain has a Covid we can be proud of.

I think the kids would call my "point" an "epic fail". laughing out loud

Old Man Whirly!
I think the kids would call my "point" an "epic fail". laughing out loud laughing out loud We are very self deprecating, we are well aware in the 18th and 19th Centuries we created the modern world. We ushered in the first industrial revolution, we also created the first Gulags.

Robtard
This thread has been done before.

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
so basically you're a piece of shit? Not really. The whole act just is terrible from both a secular and religious view point.

Neon1234
Not really. The whole act just is terrible from both a secular and religious view point.

He's a troll.

I would suggest ignoring him.

victreebelvictr
How am I a troll?

Neon1234
How am I a troll?

I'm saying Bash is a troll, not you.

Robtard
How am I a troll?

FFS. He's calling Bashar a "troll", not you, because that's easier for him to do than actually having to counter what Bash is saying.

victreebelvictr
I'm saying Bash is a troll, not you. Understood. Sorry. laughing out loud

Neon1234
Understood. Sorry. laughing out loud

laughing out loud

Friends?

victreebelvictr
laughing out loud

Friends? Sure. smile

Originally posted by Robtard
FFS. He's calling Bashar a "troll", not you, because that's easier for him to do than actually having to counter what Bash is saying. A bit irritable, are we?

Neon1234
Robtard is a crazy Leftist.

I wouldn't take him seriously.

victreebelvictr
Never have.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Robtard
FFS. He's calling Bashar a "troll", not you, because that's easier for him to do than actually having to counter what Bash is saying.

"wait please stop....i don't get...why are you castrating me? i'm on your side, bro. remember when i stuck up for you guys on the internet?"

not-eon after the fascist coup

Old Man Whirly!
"wait please stop....i don't get...why are you castrating me? i'm on your side, bro. remember when i stuck up for you guys on the internet?"

not-eon after the fascist coup laughing out loud

NemeBro
Do you believe ares' post you quoted is an adequate response to my question to you?

NemeBro
Robtard is a crazy Leftist.

I wouldn't take him seriously. You prefer taking bible-thumping homophobes seriously. thumb up

cdtm
Rob's not crazy. At all.

I should know, I'm crazy. Just a little bit.

Neon1234
Do you believe ares' post you quoted is an adequate response to my question to you?

Yes.

Old Man Whirly!
You prefer taking bible-thumping homophobes seriously. thumb up it's Eon. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously Neme.

NemeBro
it's Eon. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously Neme. If it's really Eon I could bully them into another mental breakdown and possibly get them to kill themselves, so I see no reason not to engage with them. thumb up

NemeBro
Yes. Why is that? Elaborate.

victreebelvictr
If it's really Eon I could bully them into another mental breakdown and possibly get them to kill themselves, so I see no reason not to engage with them. thumb up That doesn't sound very tolerant. stick out tongue

Adam_PoE
That doesn't sound very tolerant. stick out tongue

Who the **** called themselves tolerant?

Old Man Whirly!
If it's really Eon I could bully them into another mental breakdown and possibly get them to kill themselves, so I see no reason not to engage with them. thumb up it's definately Eon.

Neon1234
laughing out loud

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Who the **** called themselves tolerant? Leftists try to.

Scribble
If it's really Eon I could bully them into another mental breakdown and possibly get them to kill themselves, so I see no reason not to engage with them. thumb up Neon is not Eon (I don't understand why Whirly seems to think this). Neon is Canadian iirc, for a start. Eon disappeared entirely it seems, other than tweeting about supporting Joe Biden now for some reason??

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Scribble
Neon is not Eon (I don't understand why Whirly seems to think this). Neon is Canadian iirc, for a start. Eon disappeared entirely it seems, other than tweeting about supporting Joe Biden now for some reason?? uh huh.

Scribble
uh huh. You realise that Eon hates my guts, right? Like, really hates my guts, lol.

Blakemore
"all cultures are not equal," I agree. Should they be treated with respect? I believe so.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Blakemore
"all cultures are not equal," I agree. Should they be treated with respect? I believe so. thumb up Bingo!

Neon1234
No, all cultures do not deserve respect.

A culture that supports religious persecution is a good example.

victreebelvictr

A culture that supports religious persecution is a good example. thumb up

Neon1234
But it's no surprise Leftists are okay with that.

Bashar Teg

A culture that supports religious persecution is a good example.

doh

Scribble

A culture that supports religious persecution is a good example. Agreed, same with cultures that persecute people based on ethnicity, sexuality, sex & gender, etc.

Old Man Whirly!
doh DDM's shock troops shooting themselves in the feet.

Newjak
In my Communications class, our teacher told us that ethnocentrism is bad because no ones' culture is superior to another.

Of course I was taken aback by such a statement.

There are things that cultures do that we would find immoral, slavery, persecution of homosexuals, etc.

All things equal, a culture that practices and/or supports things like those, is not equal to one that doesn't.

We are better than them. Well I mean I think it depends on how you are trying to rate and define culture.

Are you trying to take a person and define them by their culture to make yourself seem superior while ignoring the context of your personal character? If so I agree with your teacher.

Are you trying to come up with pros and cons of different national cultures to compare and contrast those unique characteristics and determine objective quality? Then that's probably an interesting thought experiment to do.

Often times though when I hear conservative groups use that word it's in the case of the former instead of the later.

Heck most of the conservatives I hear talking about this ignore that their conservative culture would often be more in line with the other cultures they would deem bad.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Newjak
Well I mean I think it depends on how you are trying to rate and define culture.

Are you trying to take a person and define them by their culture to make yourself seem superior while ignoring the context of your personal character? If so I agree with your teacher.

Are you trying to come up with pros and cons of different national cultures to compare and contrast those unique characteristics and determine objective quality? Then that's probably an interesting thought experiment to do.

Often times though when I hear conservative groups use that word it's in the case of the former instead of the later.

Heck most of the conservatives I hear talking about this ignore that their conservative culture would often be more in line with the other cultures they would deem bad. thumb up Excellent post, saying what I and others said earlier, better tbh! Concise, quality!

Newjak
thumb up Excellent post, saying what I and others said earlier, better tbh! Concise, quality! Thank you Whirly.

Scribble

Newjak
Agreed 100% Scribble.

Blakemore
I think dadurrman's thunderbirds are not understanding what respect means.

It's synonymous with "take into consideration" ie understanding them, before deciding if they're good or bad.

Ignoramuses.

victreebelvictr
Newjak, your sig is awesome.

Newjak
Newjak, your sig is awesome. Thanks

cdtm
Well I mean I think it depends on how you are trying to rate and define culture.

Heck most of the conservatives I hear talking about this ignore that their conservative culture would often be more in line with the other cultures they would deem bad.

Lets assume we're talking about measuring contests based on culture.

Isn't there an inherent bias in the assumption that we are above that sort of thing? As in, we know how superior we are, so we have nothing to prove, and no reason to take offense when criticised by a foreigner?

I can guarantee other cultures most definitely compare play that game, all the time. An Indian room mate let me see a poem his friends sent him, calling India the jewel of the Eastern world, and all other asian countries as dung heaps (China, Japan, ect)

Neon1234
Originally posted by Scribble
Agreed, same with cultures that persecute people based on ethnicity, sexuality, sex & gender, etc.

thumb up

Newjak
Lets assume we're talking about measuring contests based on culture.

Isn't there an inherent bias in the assumption that we are above that sort of thing? As in, we know how superior we are, so we have nothing to prove, and no reason to take offense when criticised by a foreigner?

I can guarantee other cultures most definitely compare play that game, all the time. An Indian room mate let me see a poem his friends sent him, calling India the jewel of the Eastern world, and all other asian countries as dung heaps (China, Japan, ect) If you want my personal opinion. There is danger in assuming one's superiority over another based on where you are born or what culture you worn born into.

I also think there is a danger in placing one's own country on a pedestal. This often leads countries to engage in indoctrination and not allow themselves to properly judge themselves.

I also think people tend to over blow what they consider to be the superior aspects of their culture.

For instance America way overblows the idea it has the most free freedomest freeing country to ever free. It creates a false sense superiority.

cdtm
If you want my personal opinion. There is danger in assuming one's superiority over another based on where you are born or what culture you worn born into.

I also think there is a danger in placing one's own country on a pedestal. This often leads countries to engage in indoctrination and not allow themselves to properly judge themselves.

I also think people tend to over blow what they consider to be the superior aspects of their culture.

For instance America way overblows the idea it has the most free freedomest freeing country to ever free. It creates a false sense superiority.

I do agree boorish qualities are bad.

But pride in a country, is that so bad? If you can't love your country enough to advocate for it, then who can?

China, India, the U.K., or Russia certainly won't.

Newjak
I do agree boorish qualities are bad.

But pride in a country, is that so bad? If you can't love your country enough to advocate for it, then who can?

China, India, the U.K., or Russia certainly won't. I would argue there is a difference in taking pride in oneself/work vs feeling yourself superior to another.

Neon1234
I would argue there is a difference in taking pride in oneself/work vs feeling yourself superior to another.

I think they go hand in hand, but I get the point.

Newjak
I think they go hand in hand, but I get the point. No they don't.

People like to think they do.

You can for instance acknowledge you are doing something really good while acknowledging other people are doing it just as well.

You can acknowledge you do something poorly while understanding someone does it better.

You're focusing on the part where you might do something better that because you feel you did something better it makes you superior.

That is not true. You doing something better doesn't inherently make you superior. It just means you did something better than someone else. You could still have major faults in other areas.

At the end of the day you can feel you do something well and still not think yourself better than another entity.

Klaw
Given what is happening in Afghanistan; people who think all cultures are equal are looking really stupid right about now.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Klaw
Given what is happening in Afghanistan; people who think all cultures are equal are looking really stupid right about now. Going by your reasoning the Jan 6 retards from mainly red states are inferior to the blue state cultures... durwank

snowdragon
Going by your reasoning the Jan 6 retards from mainly red states are inferior to the blue state cultures... durwank

What other cultures are inferior?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>