Why did God create anything?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Neon1234
The Abrahamic God is allegedly, perfect, and complete among, other things.

I'm curious as to why God created anything then?

As far as I can tell, there are only two reasons to create anything, desire and/or necessity.

God doesn't desire or need anything.

So why did God create anything then?

Wonder Man
For man.

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Neon1234

As far as I can tell, there are only two reasons to create anything, desire and/or necessity.

So why did God create anything then? God can desire if He wants to. The Bible states that He is a very caring and loving God. His passion for His creation spans farther than the east is to the west apparently.

It isn't illogical to think that someone can't desire because that figure can do all.

Neon1234
Originally posted by victreebelvictr
God can desire if He wants to. The Bible states that He is a very caring and loving God. His passion for His creation spans farther than the east is to the west apparently.

It isn't illogical to think that someone can't desire because that figure can do all.

I don't argue that it's illogical for an all powerful entity to desire.

I'm arguing that if God is perfect and complete, why does he desire anything?

victreebelvictr
I don't argue that it's illogical for an all powerful entity to desire.

I'm arguing that if God is perfect and complete, why does he desire anything? Oh, I see your question. And a good question that is.

God, as you have said, created the world willingly. He did not need the world. He is completely happy and perfect within the endless bounds of His own perfection.

Now, that would mean that our existence cannot be for the Lord's main benefit. He created the world for us due to his everlasting love rather than His own desires.

Admittedly, God takes pleasure in what He has created, but that does not mean He "needed" it to feel fulfilled. Can you catch my drift?

Neon1234
I understand he didn't need it.

But why does God have desire when he's perfect, and complete?

victreebelvictr
I recently just started truly researching the Bible, so, sadly, I can't answer all of your questions as accurately as I would wish, but I don't see how the perfection of a figure prevents them from finding joy in other things.

Considering that God is perfect and holy, other holy and perfect things likely make him happy.

Neon1234
I recently just started truly researching the Bible, so, sadly, I can't answer all of your questions as accurately as I would wish, but I don't see how the perfection of a figure prevents them from finding joy in other things.

Considering that God is perfect and holy, other holy and perfect things likely make him happy.

Mankind sins all the time.

Are we holy and perfect?

victreebelvictr
Mankind sins all the time.

Are we holy and perfect? Nah, but our choice to be a child of God tends to be a perfect and holy decision. The Bible states that all the angels in Heaven celebrate with every soul that claims love to Jesus.

eThneoLgrRnae

So why did God create anything then?

You are asking beings who are infinitely less intelligent and wise than God why an omniscient and omnipotent being created everything. As if we are capable of fully understanding such a being lol.

As I've said before, if we fully understood God He probably wouldn't be worth worshipping.

Wonder Man
Eternal life. The chance to do good for a person.

Neon1234
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
You are asking beings who are infinitely less intelligent and wise than God why an omniscient and omnipotent being created everything. As if we are capable of fully understanding such a being lol.

As I've said before, if we fully understood God He probably wouldn't be worth worshipping.

So you're answer is, we don't know the reason?

I'll accept that.

victreebelvictr
So you're answer is, we don't know the reason?

I'll accept that.

Nah, but our choice to be a child of God tends to be a perfect and holy decision. The Bible states that all the angels in Heaven celebrate with every soul that claims love to Jesus.

Also, maybe this link will help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgXmdni56bs

Neon1234
Thanks for the link.

I've actually seen it before, I've follower Dr. Craig for years.

His answer is nonsensical to me however.

He says Creation is for our benefit, and then he says it's for us to have a relationship with God.

That's not for our benefit, but for Gods'.

Still doesn't explain why God created anything if he's perfect, and complete like Craig himself said in the video.

victreebelvictr
No problem. thumb up

Yeah, but what you have to understand, is that God's love is much more powerful than every human combined. The Bible describes His love as infinite. In fact, the Bible straight up says that, if God doesn't exist, than no one is able to love as all love comes from God.

So, in my opinion, it is reasonable to assume that His love for His creation would have pushed His will to create everything.

So, in other words, God made us because He loves us, and though we bring pleasure to Him when we get a relationship with God, He never really did need us to start with.

To us Christians, that should be rather significant. Despite God's total perfection, He went through the trouble of creating us even though He never did or will need us. smile

Neon1234
Explain how and why God gets pleasure from us having a relationship with him.

victreebelvictr
How: God has emotions like us humans. A very simple example of this would be John 11:35 - "Jesus wept." So it is very possible for God to get excited, sad, furious, and happy.

Why: So we have already established that God created humankind because of the love He has for His creation. The Bible states that God cares even when a little sparrow falls to the ground, and that, to God, humans are worth over a thousand sparrows. As scary as it is to talk about, the following is just as real as you. Hell is the punishment to those that choose to follow their own path. God, not wanting His creation to go to such a horrid place, gives all humans many chances to accept Him as their Lord and savior. So whenever we create a relationship with God, then we are automatically gifted the greatest reward of all. Eternal life in Heaven, and, an overall more fruitful life.

I am sure that you could pull many questions out of what I just said, so if you would like to ask anymore, shoot. smile

Neon1234
How: God has emotions like us humans. A very simple example of this would be John 11:35 - "Jesus wept." So it is very possible for God to get excited, sad, furious, and happy.

I'm aware God has emotions.

I'm curious as to how a perfect, and compete entity creates humans to feel happiness?

That's the part that confuses me.

So I think understand what you're saying.

God wants us to be happy.

He wants us to accept him and live a more fruitful life in heaven.

From his perspective, I still don't see why, if he's already happy, he bothers to create anything.

Especially since he knows some of us are going to live horrible lives here on earth, and then go to hell.

I've got lots.

I enjoy talking about this stuff.

victreebelvictr
I'm aware God has emotions.

I'm curious as to how a perfect, and compete entity creates humans to feel happiness?

That's the part that confuses me. That is a pretty good question. The only logical answer would be due to His love for us. Honestly, He probably would have been fine doing whatever He was before He created everything.

Forgive me if I quoted you wrong, I am trying to get the gist of things again.

I can't tell you a professional watertight answer for the question you are asking (and I won't try to because it would likely be BS), but the Bible states that everything works out for the better. Obviously, from our own eyes and ideas, it is hard to understand how the hell that is possible though.

Adam_PoE
Everybody, remember: Hitler, who was a Catholic in good-standing until the time of his death, went to Heaven, because he believed in Jesus. But the 6-million Jews, whom he murdered, went to Hell, because they did not. But everything is just, and works out for the better!

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Everybody, remember: Hitler, who was a Catholic in good-standing until the time of his death, went to Heaven, because he believed in Jesus. But the 6-million Jews, whom he murdered, went to Hell, because they did not. But everything is just, and works out for the better! The Lord states that, if you love God, you will follow His commandments.

Hitler had no desire to do so, so it is very likely that he did not love God.

Adam_PoE
The Lord states that, if you love God, you will follow His commandments.

Hitler had no desire to do so, so it is very likely that he did not love God.

Irrelevant. Christians are saved by faith alone, not works. So Hitler is in Heaven, and the Jews he murdered are in Hell, because Christianity is a moral and just system!

victreebelvictr
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Irrelevant. Christians are saved by faith alone, not works. So Hitler is in Heaven, and the Jews he murdered are in Hell, because Christianity is a moral and just system! I think you didn't understand what I just said.

Of course you can't work your way to Heaven, but if you love God, than you will want a natural desire to do the right thing. This is what that verse means.

If the Jews did not believe in Jesus, than the Bible teaches that they are in Hell yes.

Neon1234
@victree, I have a question.

What about the Jews who were there with Jesus, practiced what Jesus preached when he was on Earth and don't believe he had risen from the dead or that's he's divine.

Will they go to heaven?

victreebelvictr
@victree, I have a question.

What about the Jews who were there with Jesus, practiced what Jesus preached when he was on Earth and don't believe he had risen from the dead or that's he's divine.

Will they go to heaven? The Bible states that if you love and believe that Jesus is God, then you will go to Heaven. So, even if they never saw or believed that Jesus rose from the dead, I would still think they are in paradise. big grin

Good question by the way.

Neon1234
The Bible states that if you love and believe that Jesus is God, then you will go to Heaven. So, even if they never saw or believed that Jesus rose from the dead, I would still think they are in paradise. big grin

Good question by the way.

What if they reject Jesus as God?

But live a good life, and practice what Jesus preached.

victreebelvictr
What if they reject Jesus as God?

But live a good life, and practice what Jesus preached. The Bible states that our good deeds are like dirty rags to God. I mean, think about it. If someone infinitely holy judged our good deeds, we would be like gnats in comparison. laughing out loud

If they don't believe that Jesus is God, then they will not get the one way ticket to Heaven, yes.

Neon1234
Do you see a problem with that?

victreebelvictr
Do you see a problem with that? Do you? If so, why?

Neon1234
Do you? If so, why?

Because if someone did everything right, except believe in God, they would go to hell.

That tells me God cares more about having his ego stroked, then living a good life.

victreebelvictr
Because if someone did everything right, except believe in God, they would go to hell.

That tells me God cares more about having his ego stroked, then living a good life. That is impossible to do everything right and be perfect.

Here, let me give you an analogy.

Let's say you go to the biggest house in America. You knock on the door and a man opens it. He says. " How are you doing? Can I help you?" Then you say. "I live here now." "What? No you don't." "Yes I do." "What makes you think that you can live here?" "Because I am a good person." "Who cares if you are a good person, I don't know you."

Neon1234
That is impossible to do everything right and be perfect.

Here, let me give you an analogy.

Let's say you go to the biggest house in America. You knock on the door and a man opens it. He says. " How are you doing? Can I help you?" Then you say. "I live here now." "What? No you don't." "Yes I do." "What makes you think that you can live here?" "Because I am a good person." "Who cares if you are a good person, I don't know you."

I don't think your analogy is relevant at all.

victreebelvictr
I don't think your analogy is relevant at all. Why?

Wonder Man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.