Sentry and Superman switch universe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MrMind
would Sentry does better in DC

or Superman does better in Marvel

Old Man Whirly!
Superman does better he isn't carrying a deranged, incredibly powerful entity in his psyche and also has this weird ability to always "scale up", no matter who he faces.

Stoic
Well there's the Molecule Man incident. Switching places at the moment of total erasure probably wouldn't have gone so well for Superman. I mean unless he has a powerset that allows for him to manipulate the molecular structures of others?

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Stoic
Well there's the Molecule Man incident. Switching places at the moment of total erasure probably wouldn't have gone so well for Superman. I mean unless he has a powerset that allows for him to manipulate the molecular structures of others? Superman has faced beings that can do worse and someone won

MrMind
LMAO

just off the top of my mind

cough world forger cough barbatos cough imperiex prime cough mxy cough doctor manhattan cough soulfire darkseid cough emperor joker cough vera black with the worlogog

all of them capable of oneshotting sentry

are we sure we wanna play this game and bring up high end threats each of them faced?

Stoic
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Superman has faced beings that can do worse and someone won

It really has nothing to do with win ratio, it has more to do with power set, and Superman can not reverse having his molecules separated, or manipulate the molecules of other beings.

xJLxKing
It really has nothing to do with win ratio, it has more to do with power set, and Superman can not reverse having his molecules separated, or manipulate the molecules of other beings.
Actually he can
Superman has fought beings that can matter manipulated

8swords
Well there's the Molecule Man incident. Switching places at the moment of total erasure probably wouldn't have gone so well for Superman. I mean unless he has a powerset that allows for him to manipulate the molecular structures of others?

which is weird seeing how he was physically torn to pieces by knull

as per thread, I can sorta see the scenario like flashpoint, but sentry is a wildcard standing at the sidelines, on the other side.

superman does better. imagine supes and thor just beating the shit out of hulk if or when he rampages

8swords
Originally posted by MrMind
LMAO

just off the top of my mind

cough world forger cough barbatos cough imperiex prime cough mxy cough doctor manhattan cough soulfire darkseid cough emperor joker cough vera black with the worlogog

all of them capable of oneshotting sentry

are we sure we wanna play this game and bring up high end threats each of them faced?

world forger - specific scenario was made to weakin supes, soo a different kind of scenario would be there as well, and iirc, batman set supes up for that

barbatos -punching/ko a schackled barbatos didnt help much in the plot

imperiex prime - this im kinda curious

mxy was playing with supes the whole time though?

doctor manhattan agree with this

soulfire darkseid - agree with this

emperor joker - psycho torturing a problematic sentry, yeah agree with this

vera black with the worlogog agree with this

Booya_69

Old Man Whirly!
Superman would literally have taken a sundip and torn Knull apart. smile

Diesldude
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Superman would literally have taken a sundip and torn Knull apart. smile

Knull would run back to the void from this guy.

https://i.postimg.cc/P5PhyVFn/0-E69-C0-D9-5-FDC-43-EB-88-CC-2-FCFB50-BEB3-D.jpg

AlbertoJohnAvil

MrMind
Lol wondering if albertroll has anything nice to say

Enzeru
The DC fans are not going to like it, but the Sentry would do much better.

Like Booya_69 mentioned it: Superman would lose all of his meta-stuff mumbo-jumbo in the Marvel universe, because that's not how Marvel works. He would be on the same level regular Kryptonians are in the DC universe. These regular Kryptonians are not backed up by meta-ideas of the writers.
And while Kryptonians are certainly a powerful race, Superman would still fall in line with your Gladiators and Hyperions. Which isn't a bad thing. Gladiator punches hyper-durable planets apart and crosses galaxies within the blink of an eye. Hyperion briefly holds two universes apart and survives universal explosions.
But your Gladiators and Hyperions are still below a character like the Sentry, who is a whole another animal.

So Superman would be just another flying brick in the Marvel universe, who would win some and lose some. The Sentry on the other hand would continue to be a force of nature and would force legions of DC heroes to combine their efforts in order to stop him, if he loses control.

AlbertoJohnAvil
Originally posted by Enzeru

Like Booya_69 mentioned it: Superman would lose all of his meta-stuff mumbo-jumbo in the Marvel universe, because that's not how Marvel works. He would be on the same level regular Kryptonians are in the DC universe. These regular Kryptonians are not backed up by meta-ideas of the writers.
And while Kryptonians are certainly a powerful race, Superman would still fall in line with your Gladiators and Hyperions. Which isn't a bad thing. Gladiator punches hyper-durable planets apart and crosses galaxies within the blink of an eye. Hyperion briefly holds two universes apart and survives universal explosions.
But your Gladiators and Hyperions are still below a character like the Sentry, who is a whole another animal.

So Superman would be just another flying brick in the Marvel universe, who would win some and lose some. The Sentry on the other hand would continue to be a force of nature and would force legions of DC heroes to combine their efforts in order to stop him, if he loses control.

👍

Old Man Whirly!
The "meta" stuff is how Superman works regardless of Universes. It's part of his powerset, literally being the greatest hero. Supeemans dials go up to 11, 12, 20000, depending what the situation needs. Remove that and he isn't Superman, he's a character created by John Byrne.

burrrrrr

This

MrMind
lol ****in enzeru, just lol

keep fantasizing in your sentry fanbois echo chamber

tkitna

This

Diesldude

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
The "meta" stuff is how Superman works regardless of Universes. It's part of his powerset, literally being the greatest hero. Supeemans dials go up to 11, 12, 20000, depending what the situation needs. Remove that and he isn't Superman, he's a character created by John Byrne.

Pretty much. I mean, isn't that what Jenkins originally planned for the Sentry, to be THE hero of Marvel?

Enzeru
When DC fans get all burthurt and hilariously defensive about it, you just know that you're on the money.

Marvel characters are simply more powerful. Deal with it. Post crisis Superman needed... like what? 20-30 years of existence to get one or two feats, which put him on the level of a Gladiator?

H1Z1 keeps talking about that lackluster chain feat from a non-canon Superman book, where in Marvel you have someone like Hyperion pushing back against two universes:

https://i.imgur.com/FK6Cl1J.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FK6Cl1J.jpg

Two universes. Not two Earths. Or two solar systems. Or two galaxies like in the case of Superman. Two UNIVERSES.

And he was pushing back against all of that physically, where in another instance the Infinity Gauntlet had been used to accomplish that (again with the statement that there is a literal UNIVERSE being pushed back):
https://i.imgur.com/uI2ERFX.jpg

And all of that was confirmed by the writer of the story:

https://i.imgur.com/PegaC8B.png

Me saying that Superman would be on the level of Gladiator or Hyperion is me holding Superman in insanely high regards. You have to be the fanboiest fanboi to ever fanboi fanboism to see any form of lowballing in my statements.

They're all still below the Sentry by a good amount. Imagine Gladiator or Hyperion or taking on the Sentry. It's like... what? They get pimp-smacked into another dimension.

And regarding the "meta-contextual part of Supermans power set". Superman would be Captain America 2.0. No other character in Marvel gets as much in-universe and outside-universe respect like Captain America. And that would apply for Superman as well. But that's also where it would end. That would not help him win any more fights.

But in the end of the day, to me it's hilarious anyway that Superman punching people is being sold as the best thing since sliced bread by the DC fans. It's like... "Superman punched Barbatos". Who cares? Universal / multiversal power does not automatically come with universal / multiversal durability (see Molecule Man). Superman didn't beat Barbatos. Neither did Superboy-Prime. Just like Thor didn't beat Chaos King, even though he made him flinch.

Originally posted by DarkSaint85

Pretty much. I mean, isn't that what Jenkins originally planned for the Sentry, to be THE hero of Marvel?

It's not. Paul Jenkins had his ideas about mental illness and tackled those in very vague ways.

The Joker movie has a very nice quote during a scene: "The worst part about having mental illness is people expect you to behave as if you don't."

Stuff like that appeared in the very first Sentry volume as well. When Sentry and the others erased everyones memories for example: It happened to stop the chaos and destruction, but the underlying tones were normal people prefer to ignore an issue instead of tackling it. It's easier to hide something than to face and cure it.

Same with the seemingly perfect Golden Guardian of Good. All on the shallow surface, with something dark and twisted beneath it. In the second volume it was revealed that Sentry was just an ordinary guy with severe mental problems, who gained the power of god. If Jenkins ever wrote the third volume it would have been about Sentry finally accepting that godhood, where before he was actively trying to deny it.

DarkSaint85
You say that about Cap....but isn't he famous for having his jobber aura?

Now ramp that up, to herald levels, if you are comparing it to Superman. So now imagine Cap transcending tiers and 3 shotting Hulk (as an example) - except now Superman is transcending the herald tier, and.....what, abstracts?

Adam Grimes
Without plot Sentry would get soloed by Constantine in like 5 mins top. Lol

abhilegend
Sentry dies and remains that way.

MrMind
tkitna you are enzeru stop using 2 accounts

Adam Grimes
tkitna you are enzeru stop using 2 accounts No, no. One is Bob and the other is Sentry.

tkitna
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Without plot Sentry would get soloed by Constantine in like 5 mins top. Lol

Your right. Sentry has struggled against magic users like Morgan Le Fay, Doom, and Strange.

Oh wait,,,,,,,,,,

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by tkitna
Your right. Sentry has struggled against magic users like Morgan Le Fay, Doom, and Strange.

Oh wait,,,,,,,,,,

Constantine is above them doe thumb up

MrMind
yeah to even suggest any marvel mages are even close to constantine level is absurd

constantine has taken down multiversal abstract being

they be better off competing with zatanna or doctor fate

dc magic is on a completely higher level

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by tkitna

Oh wait,,,,,,,,,, What about my right

MrMind
What about my right

it's about to get taken by democrats wink

AlbertoJohnAvil
yeah to even suggest any marvel mages are even close to constantine level is absurd

constantine has taken down multiversal abstract being

they be better off competing with zatanna or doctor fate

dc magic is on a completely higher level

Based on absolutely nothing, Constantine has done nothing to be on Doom or Strange's level in terms of magic.

Booya_69

Exactly
100% agreed.

Old Man Whirly!
Pretty much. I mean, isn't that what Jenkins originally planned for the Sentry, to be THE hero of Marvel? yup, exactlythumb up

xJLxKing

Diesldude

carver9
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Actually he can
Superman has fought beings that can matter manipulated

On MM level? Show me.

DarkSaint85
Emperor Joker, Carv

Magnon
H1Z1 keeps talking about that lackluster chain feat from a non-canon Superman book, where in Marvel you have someone like Hyperion pushing back against two universes:

Nope. Two *worlds*. That is what Hyperion was doing. Hyperion's failure to keep two *planets* apart (for long) triggered a *cascading* event which then destroyed two universes (read the narration).

Do you know what cascading events are? We have, for example, cascading failures (quite similar to what happened in the comics) in which the failure of a small part of the system propagates to the whole system:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_failure

And we have cascades which (exponentially) amplify some single event, such as the fission of a single radioactive nucleus triggering a chain-reaction or the absorption of a single photon triggering a cascade of ever-increasing current of electrons in a photomultiplier tube:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomultiplier_tube

In all cases, a small event triggers a much bigger net event. The initial, triggering step and the energies involved can be arbitrarily small. This was the case in Hyperion's feat as well, he was only involved with the initial *planetary-scale* event. From there on, the cascade propagated on its own.

Bentley
Superman is the living embodiment of heroism and people claiming "Marvel doesn't work that way" is just a way to try to nerf the character and make it what he isn't. Indeed, you need to accept that Superman simply existing would reshape everything about Marvel so you need to conceive a watered down version of the character to fit your preconcieved notions, to which I say

Fair enough

Enzeru
Originally posted by Bentley

Superman is the living embodiment of heroism and people claiming "Marvel doesn't work that way" is just a way to try to nerf the character and make it what he isn't. Indeed, you need to accept that Superman simply existing would reshape everything about Marvel so you need to conceive a watered down version of the character to fit your preconcieved notions

He isn't and no one is doing that.

If Superman was the actual (Marvel-like) abstract of hope with a physical form, I wouldn't be saying any of the things I say. But he isn't. Superman is a Kryptonian like Supergirl, Zod and others. And they aren't abstracts either.
If Superman was meant to be a character like the One-Punch Man (who is a meta-commentary on ever evolving Shounen characters and predestined fight outcomes), I wouldn't be saying the things I say either.

Superman was none of those things, when Doomsday beat him into a sleeping healing coma. Nor during the other instances where he lost or couldn't perform certain things. People have even died, while Superman actively tried to save them.

Superman being played up as a meta-character has been a weird trend in the last few years. A trend that will fade away again. And those trends don't exist in Marvel comics (besides The One Above All). Nor do they exist in DC comics. Nor should they exist in comics.

Superman would be a regular high herald and below Sentrys level. I have spoken and this is the way.

DarkSaint85
Except you yourself have acknowledged that Superman is written as a meta type character.

abhilegend
He isn't and no one is doing that.

If Superman was the actual (Marvel-like) abstract of hope with a physical form, I wouldn't be saying any of the things I say. But he isn't. Superman is a Kryptonian like Supergirl, Zod and others. And they aren't abstracts either.
If Superman was meant to be a character like the One-Punch Man (who is a meta-commentary on ever evolving Shounen characters and predestined fight outcomes), I wouldn't be saying the things I say either.

Superman was none of those things, when Doomsday beat him into a sleeping healing coma. Nor during the other instances where he lost or couldn't perform certain things. People have even died, while Superman actively tried to save them.

Superman being played up as a meta-character has been a weird trend in the last few years. A trend that will fade away again. And those trends don't exist in Marvel comics (besides The One Above All). Nor do they exist in DC comics. Nor should they exist in comics.

Superman would be a regular high herald and below Sentrys level. I have spoken and this is the way. laughing out loud

Enzeru

Except you yourself have acknowledged that Superman is written as a meta type character.

Yeah, by one single dummy-dumm-dumm writer, who thinks he is the next Alan Moore. Which is ridiculous. No one is Alan Moore. And I'm saying that as someone, whose favorite fictional character period is 1 to 1 based on a story written by Alan Moore.

What Geoff Johns thinks and tries to push through with Superman won't stick, because that's not what Superman ultimately is.
But you have these crazy DC fanboys here, who read way too much into Superman lately. Remember that World Forger punch and how Superman punching a multiversal entity once immediately became a "SUPERMAN DESTROYED A MULTIVERSE! TAKE THAT MARVEL FANS, HAHAHAHAHA!".

Which is hilarious and insane twisting of the actual events. The editor of that story confirmed that Superman didn't destroy a multiversal or crack the 6th dimension open or or or:
https://i.imgur.com/Y17Tqeu.png
https://i.imgur.com/Y17Tqeu.png

Superman amped on multiple suns can affect a multiversal being. Great feat. So can Thor. Doesn't make him multiversal anything though.

DarkSaint85
Just to point out though that Marino was only posting on his personal account, where his thoughts are his own and not those of DC...

https://i.postimg.cc/kGhRPphc/thoughts.jpg

So we can't really use that, as it becomes circular - you disagree with what Snyder thinks, a supporter of that feat would disagree with what Marino thinks etc etc...

All we have to go on is what is on panel, not what they may say in a Twitter or whatever.

Diesldude
Just to point out though that Marino was only posting on his personal account, where his thoughts are his own and not those of DC...

So we can't really use that, as it becomes circular - you disagree with what Snyder thinks, a supporter of that feat would disagree with what Marino thinks etc etc...

All we have to go on is what is on panel, not what they may say in a Twitter or whatever. and if the trolls harass them enough, they will tell them what they want to hear just to get them off their backs.

Adam Grimes
Not to mention this kind of 'proof' is not usable here.

Diesldude

Enzeru

Not to mention this kind of 'proof' is not usable here.

I'm not using it as "proof" to debunk something. I'm using it as a way of showing how ridiculously deranged certain DC fanboys are on this board.

When I read that story, nowhere did I get the perception that Superman destroyer an entire multiverse with a punch. But that's non-sense DC fanboys here starting spewing out immediately: "HURRR DURRR, MULTIVERSAL PUNCH, MULTIVERSAL PUNCH, AGENT OF HOPE SUPERMAN!"
And then you have the editor, who followed the entire story and talked to the writer and the artist confirm that no multiverse was being destroyed or anything along those lines.

Edit: Oh my god. I just realized. The DC Superdudebrofans here are slowly turning into RealityWarper 2.0 with all of this "Multiversal Superman" garbage. No wonder they rustle my jimmies.

xJLxKing

Diesldude

MrMind
enzeru in meltdown mode

supergirl oneshots sentry, let alone superman

Parmaniac
I honestly don't see how Sentry would do better than Superman in DC. Supes has his special status (annoying or not, he has it), Sentry wouldn't. That alone shifts the situation extremely in favor of Superman. Sentry is a mentally unstable guy who needs help and already was exploited because of it, Superman usually reaches out his hand and offers help. Some situations of Superman replaced with Sentry would be absolutely catastrophic because he would/should void out.

Enzeru

enzeru in meltdown mode
supergirl oneshots sentry, let alone superman

Very nice argument. Solid evidence and so on. You really made a good case for your cause.

I'm just kidding. You didn't. Go back to posting photos of your misshapen chest, you freak.

Philosophía
would Sentry does better in DC

or Superman does better in Marvel Superman would solo most of the threats in Marvel, shortening a lot of events. His kryptonian technology/phantom zone would be incorporated into Tony's, effectively nullifying most of the large-army threats. He'd be good friends with Cap, expanding the Avengers and leading different teams.

Sentry would be a Teen Titans villain at first, he'd butt heads with Superboy until Raven connects with the Void and turns him into a hero. I could see Dr. Light depowering and raping him at some point. Maybe he breaks off after a few story arcs and turns into a Jessica Cruz villain.

Adam Grimes
Sentry would have been killed during Prime's first rampage.

One Big Mob
If you're just trading the two in real life with full understanding of who they are then nothing changes... for Superman. Marvel has always wanted an icon at a high level; they just refuse to give them the push needed and always revert back to Streets. With Superman they don't need a manufactured push that they need to keep shoving in reader's faces and once they don't the character dies - Ms Marvel. They don't need to rely on movies to push the character for a couple months. They have the character with maxed "hero stats" that they don't need to create reasons why Captain America is outdoing Thor. "This looks like a job for Superman" is all they need.

Every single big Thor or Hulk feat they've ever done is possible with Superman without the glass jaw and movement deficients. If you can name one of those feats, I don't see why you'd think a more popular character would get worse.

Of course this all depends on the writers which... lol. But I think most writers would treat him like Superman unless they had an inkling for another character to put over him.

If Superman was just sent over as stats only then he falls to the wayside. Marvel continues to push Streets. Would beat Thor and then get forgotten about.

Sentry with history intact or stats only probably gets treated the same regardless. Huge team fighting deal in his debut and then gets jobbed out constantly after that. Which is funny because no matter how much Enzeru cries about DC blurring the lines between cosmics and heroes; Sentry would never get to those cosmic levels. He'd just go from team level to solo hero level. With his ability to reform it just gives them carte blanche to keep annihilating him in funny ways and bringing him back. Batmobile'd.

But on the writers getting control angle, only Hickman would be interesting to see what he does with Superman. I think he'd go pretty hard with him but Hickman also likes to sidestep raw power too in favor of plans and intelligence. Superman obviously can do both but I think Hickman would rather write Lex over Superman or Superman vs Lex than just Superman scheming.

Cates sucks so he either wanks him or really jobs him. Who cares. Died hair minority girl gets one over on Superman in other works from the writing team.

Enzeru
https://i.imgur.com/uI2ERFX.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/uI2ERFX.jpeg

Reed Richards explained what was going on there. When they were pushing the Earth back, they were pushing back a literal entire universe:
"That Earth is like an island breaking the surface of an ocean. He is literally pushing an entire universe hidden from us."

When the writer of the story was asked, if Hyperion was holding back against two universes, he confirmed it to be the case:

Diesldude

Enzeru

AlbertoJohnAvil
Originally posted by Magnon
Nope. Two *worlds*. That is what Hyperion was doing. Hyperion's failure to keep two *planets* apart (for long) triggered a *cascading* event which then destroyed two universes (read the narration).

Do you know what cascading events are? We have, for example, cascading failures (quite similar to what happened in the comics) in which the failure of a small part of the system propagates to the whole system:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_failure

And we have cascades which (exponentially) amplify some single event, such as the fission of a single radioactive nucleus triggering a chain-reaction or the absorption of a single photon triggering a cascade of ever-increasing current of electrons in a photomultiplier tube:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomultiplier_tube

In all cases, a small event triggers a much bigger net event. The initial, triggering step and the energies involved can be arbitrarily small. This was the case in Hyperion's feat as well, he was only involved with the initial *planetary-scale* event. From there on, the cascade propagated on its own.

It's explicitly stated that it's two universes contacting and the infographic with it shows both universes destroyed. It mentions nothing about what you posted:

https://i.postimg.cc/f32R2MW1/tafv.jpg

When Cap used the gauntlet, Reed stated he was literally moving an entire universe away, emphasising that the universe itself was focused on Earth:
https://i.postimg.cc/K4g8fX6s/cajen.jpg

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Galan007
What Cap /w/ IG did =/= what Hyperion did.

StiltmanFTW
I get a boner when I see someone quoting Galan.

MrMind
I get a boner when I see Galan

Diesldude

MrMind

TheHulkster

All we have to go on is what is on panel, not what they may say in a Twitter or whatever.

Marino is a representative of DC assigned to that issue and is providing clarification on the panel for those who can't see what is clearly shown. Not his opinion.

DarkSaint85
It's not an official DC account so doesn't matter.

carver9
Lol at using that sentence against every statement he make.

-Pr-
Editors aren't writers...

qwertyuiop1998
Originally posted by Galan007
And this is exactly why Twitter posts and whatnot are inadmissible on the forums...

People trying to cling to them as the gospel, in lieu of on panel evidence, is the epitome of trollishly grasping at straws.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by carver9
Lol at using that sentence against every statement he make.

That's almost precisely the point.

Nothing he says is official. Like Alan Moore spouting his batshit crazy stories of how he met Constantine in a pub. Doesn't mean DC actually believe John Constantine is real.

playa1258
Alberto becomes a Superman fanboy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.