Self checkout lines at grocery stores

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment

Raptor22
Self checkouts suck when there aren't enough open and u have either a bunch of slow old people trying to figure out the scanner and moving like molasses while they're scanning and bagging their stuff or people that are by themselves with carts piling over that spend 15 min going back and forth between scanning and bagging.

Other than that i dont mind them.

Quincy
Yeah I'm with Raptor. I've no issue with them. Do they really take away a good amount of jobs? I've never seen a grocery store that didn't offer cashiers and baggers in addition to self checkout.

Hmm, it's a drag if it does affect jobs in such a profound way though. Still, it's a matter of convenience for people. I don't think jobs should exist just so people have jobs. Jobs suck.

Smasandian

ares834
Exactly this. Self checkout is great if you only have a few items.

Robtard
I use them when available and they're usually limited to a certain amount of items (eg 15 or less). So a person doing a full shopping cart is going to have to use the standard checkout.

Checkers and baggers are going away like the dodo and tollbooth operators though. I forget which store, but they're testing "smart carts", which track what you put inside and then you pay via credit card or smartphone app at the cart before exiting the store. No contact with a store employee at all.

Give it 5-10 years and these smart carts will be ubiquitous.

Impediment
Two people have called me a communist on my FB post.

🤣

Newjak
Originally posted by Impediment
Two people have called me a communist on my FB post.

🤣 Well yes because you are one mad

Seriously though I find it weird that people complain about the self-service lanes costing jobs when most of the same people didn't care that those jobs only provided substandard living wages and told people in them to get better ones anyways.

I also think we'll have to move unto a Universal wage system at some point anyways when there are more people then sustainable jobs to be worked.

jaden_2.0
People who say "it allows supermarkets to move the staff to other areas of the store" are idiots. They don't do that. They cut the hours available to the department. They don't necessarily make anyone redundant. They just don't employ the same number of hours back in after someone leaves so a 39 hour job may be cut to a 25 hour one. It's called natural wastage.

Tzeentch
They absolutely are a threat to the grocery store cashier industry- you guys have only seen the tip of the iceberg. You don't know what special hell is forming in the depths of San Francisco.

Powerful forces are investing billions of dollars into killing the cashier. That said I don't know why people would be giving Matt shit for it.

1. The phasing out of cashiers may be inevitable but it's going to take literally decades to sweep across the entire country.
2. It's not like cashiers are the only people under the gun. The same tech companies gunning for them are also doing everything they can to **** over commercial drivers, pilots, mechanics, receptionists/secretaries, warehouse workers etc.

Old Man Whirly!

Darth Thor
I pretty much always use self checkouts now.

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
my ex wife had a way to shoplift on them. She used to halve the Grocery Bill, much as I loved her she was a very naughty girl.

Lmao

Robtard
Whirly's ex-wife must of had one really big purse

truejedi
I don't like self order kiosks at restaurants though.

Artol
I don't see anything wrong with self check outs per se. I think if you think that places like Walmart will invest the savings into having their employees do other jobs, rather than just cutting jobs and pocketing more profits that's pretty unrealistic. And I don't see why your stance would be considered the communist stance, it just sounds like you are accepting the logic of capitalism.

Smasandian
I don't think self-checkout kiosks are going to remove cashiers ever. They are too inefficient. It's always faster to go through a cashier kiosk when you have a ton of groceries. Too many variables can cause slowdowns within a self-checkout.

As Tzeentch points out, it would be the Amazon pick up and walkout checkout system that will kill self-checkout kiosks.

But I wouldn't be amiss to say that I sometimes prefer an actual human to sell me something rather than a LCD screen...though I do enjoy those menu kiosks at McDonalds.

samhain
If all jobs are to be taken over by automation, then what exactly are these robots going to be making? If no-one has a job then no-one can afford to buy these goods and services. At least that's my train of thought.

BruceSkywalker
i do not use self check out.. i just go to the shortest lie possible and buy my shit .

i also complain very loudly if there are not many cash registers open.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Tzeentch
They absolutely are a threat to the grocery store cashier industry- you guys have only seen the tip of the iceberg. You don't know what special hell is forming in the depths of San Francisco.

Powerful forces are investing billions of dollars into killing the cashier. That said I don't know why people would be giving Matt shit for it.

1. The phasing out of cashiers may be inevitable but it's going to take literally decades to sweep across the entire country.
2. It's not like cashiers are the only people under the gun. The same tech companies gunning for them are also doing everything they can to **** over commercial drivers, pilots, mechanics, receptionists/secretaries, warehouse workers etc.

They are not just in San Francisco. We have them in Chicago too.

truejedi
The economy is a made up thing. A lot of jobs exist simply because people need jobs or they starve. It would be so nice to evaluate which jobs actually need to exist, and use the rest of humanity for something else. Culture or earth preservation or space exploration or something. Some noble goal. It's all a made up cycle right now.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
Whirly's ex-wife must of had one really big purse https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018/may/20/nation-of-shoplifters-supermarket-self-checkout

When she was at it 15 years ago, it wasn't the thing it is today. Bless her she had the looks of a model and the brains of a criminal.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by truejedi
I don't like self order kiosks at restaurants though.

That sounds like it sucks. I hate the whole booking your order on your phone when youre dining in the restaurant. And checking menu online.

Trocity
I love self checkouts. Obviously if we get a lot of groceries we go to a cashier but if I am just getting a basket of things, I always use them. If people see it as manual labour or something, that's stupid.

Walmart does have a lot of them, but there are a grand total of 4 self checkouts at the Superstore near my house, and then about 12 cashier aisles. I doubt they are taking many jobs away.

BackFire
People better get used to this shit, it's only going to expand, it's inevitable.

jaden_2.0
That's less cashiers for you to follow home late at night and bundle into the back of your van.

BackFire

jaden_2.0
Watch out. They're stronger.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.