Darth Vader vs Helms Deep

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
What if Darth Vader replaced the defenders at Helms Deep.

How far would he get before being overwhelmed?

All feats valid, including Legacy.

Galan007
There were, what? 10,000 of Sauron's minions at Helms Deep?

Even though most/all of them would be fodder(relative to Vader), that's still a LOT of fodder to deal with.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Galan007

Even though most/all of them would be fodder(relative to Vader), that's still a LOT of fodder to deal with.
He'd at least be able to 1shot those Uruk Hai from blowing the wall up. So will at least have the safety of the walls.

Although, if he's alone, I can see him getting distracted...

carthage

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by cdtm
What if Darth Vader replaced the defenders at Helms Deep.

How far would he get before being overwhelmed?

All feats valid, including Legacy.

First things first, my insane friend.

You want us to use Movie Helm's Deep or the one from the books?

The one from the books had much less action, but the army storming the Rohirrim was more diverse than the one shown in the movie (which was composed only of Uruk-hai).

Saruman's. Not Sauron's.

At least 10,000, according to Aragorn. And Saruman says he'd need tens of thousands troops in order to beat Theoden at Helm's Deep, when replying to Grima.

Uruk-hai, specifically. Bred and "invented" by Saruman, different from Black Uruks from Mordor.

But in books, they also had Wargs, Dunlendings and perhaps normal orcs as well... and Tolkien barely bothered to describe the battle.

Original source fanboys will disagree, but it's a simple truth that Peter Jackson was vastly superior in some areas than Tolkien.

DarkSaint85
This nerd

Galan007
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
He'd at least be able to 1shot those Uruk Hai from blowing the wall up. So will at least have the safety of the walls.

Although, if he's alone, I can see him getting distracted... Yeah, if Vader starts off atop the wall, and watches the army slowly march in from afar, it's a different story.

In that case he could destroy their ladder tech, trebuchets, and bombardiers before they ever got close enough to attack, and solo droves of the army before they ever reached him(TK aside, just imagine what saber throws could do to the army.)

tl;dr
Vader could win in that scenario, as he would finally have the high ground. thumb up

Galan007
This nerd I have Stilt on ignore now. thumb up

CosmicComet
One Uruk is enough.

As soon as Vader is on the field that one mouthy one is going to shout that meat is back on the menu and then gang rape him.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

But in books, they also had Wargs, Dunlendings and perhaps normal orcs as well... and Tolkien barely bothered to describe the battle.

Original source fanboys will disagree, but it's a simple truth that Peter Jackson was vastly superior in some areas than Tolkien.

Too true. God bless Tolkien but he often spent way too much time describing trivial things and glossed over important ones.

Sin I AM

The one from the books had much less action, but the army storming the Rohirrim was more diverse than the one shown in the movie (which was composed only of Uruk-hai).

Saruman's. Not Sauron's.

At least 10,000, according to Aragorn. And Saruman says he'd need tens of thousands troops in order to beat Theoden at Helm's Deep, when replying to Grima.

Uruk-hai, specifically. Bred and "invented" by Saruman, different from Black Uruks from Mordor.

StiltmanFTW
trebuchets

There weren't any trebuchets.

Trebuchets aren't even mobile, Galan.

The only ones were used by Gondor in the battle of Minas Tirith in RotK.

You're thinking of ballistas... at least some of which were combined with the aforementioned ladder tech.

Saruman's Uruks did have crossbows, though. That's not a problem for Vader unless he loses his focus for one critical moment.

leonidas

Saruman's. Not Sauron's.

does your nerd know no limits....?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by CosmicComet
One Uruk is enough.

As soon as Vader is on the field that one mouthy one is going to shout that meat is back on the menu and then gang rape him.

https://i.imgur.com/PUy658X.gif

leonidas
Too true. God bless Tolkien but he often spent way too much time describing trivial things and glossed over important ones.

the books....sucked. classic, revolutionary, almost impossibly impactful, but...terrible and a pure drudge to read.

Stoic

Although, if he's alone, I can see him getting distracted...

And tired as hell.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by leonidas
the books....sucked. classic, revolutionary, almost impossibly impactful, but...terrible and a pure drudge to read.

There is some truth to it, yes.

Tolkien has described mundane stuff such as singing and feasting in dozens and dozens (and dozens) of pages... while barely paying any attention to actual battles that were supposed to be the culmination of some books (Battle of Five Armies or Helm's Deep are perfect examples).

That's why I'm mainly just the movie fan.

Galan007
There weren't any trebuchets.

Trebuchets aren't even mobile, Galan.

The only ones were used by Gondor in the battle of Minas Tirith in RotK.

You're thinking of ballistas... at least some of which were combined with the aforementioned ladder tech.

Saruman's Uruks did have crossbows, though. That's not a problem for Vader unless he loses his focus for one critical moment. https://i.gifer.com/XJ8L.gif

StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/b8/5f/59/b85f59505da61b12b66ae2087f9ddcad--lord-of-the-rings-the-lord.jpg

CosmicComet
Originally posted by leonidas

I thought the hobbit was a legitimately enjoyable read. The trilogy however? Not so much.

Badabing
Fit Bada is about to hand out wedgies to nerds in this thread.

Fat Bada is about to steal the lunch money of nerds in this thread.

CosmicComet
Dominion is about to sue both Badas for defamation.

StiltmanFTW
I thought the hobbit was a legitimately enjoyable read. The trilogy however? Not so much.

thumb up

I agree.

The Hobbit is fast-paced and just plain fun to read.

But it needs to be said that Tolkien did a poor ass job describing the Battle of the Five Armies.

Philosophía
That's why I'm mainly just the movie fan. Stilt "the anti-hipster" manFTW

leonidas
Originally posted by Badabing
Fit Bada is about to hand out wedgies to nerds in this thread.

Fat Bada is about to steal the lunch money of nerds in this thread.

https://www.deviantart.com/johannenson/art/Buford-gives-Phineas-a-wedgie-850894902

cdtm
thumb up

I agree.

The Hobbit is fast-paced and just plain fun to read.

But it needs to be said that Tolkien did a poor ass job describing the Battle of the Five Armies.

For starters, who the heck the five armies are.

If Wolves count as an army, why not the eagles?

StiltmanFTW

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

deathslash
Athens only way that this could be a challenge for Vader is if he was only allowed to use his lightsaber and no force powers. As it stands, he decimates.

DarkSaint85
Yeah, if Vader starts off atop the wall, and watches the army slowly march in from afar, it's a different story.

In that case he could destroy their ladder tech, trebuchets, and bombardiers before they ever got close enough to attack, and solo droves of the army before they ever reached him(TK aside, just imagine what saber throws could do to the army.)

tl;dr
Vader could win in that scenario, as he would finally have the high ground. thumb up

I'll do you one better.

Vader is safe inside the keep, and just using his Force powers without even being physically present on the walls thumb up

cdtm
Originally posted by deathslash
Athens only way that this could be a challenge for Vader is if he was only allowed to use his lightsaber and no force powers. As it stands, he decimates.

By challenge, do you mean impossible?

Pretty sure even a lightsaber isn't cutting down 10-20 thousand things before being swamped.

DarkSaint85

Pretty sure even a lightsaber isn't cutting down 10-20 thousand things before being swamped.

It probably could, actually.

Cutting things like flesh with a lightsaber is pretty easy. The saber itself weighs next to nothing (so it doesn't exactly need a lot of concentration/will),

Vader doesn't need to get within arrow range like the Elves/humans did. He's managed to exert his powers through space (when he choked his commander over vid screen).

So at this point (t=32seconds):

78IJdhvY1zg?t=32

His blade can already be spinning through their ranks at head height (and thanks to them all being uniformly bred, they're all roughly the same height). No fatigue.

Or he could just cause a massive landslide and kill a good portion of them as they enter that choke point.

deathslash

Pretty sure even a lightsaber isn't cutting down 10-20 thousand things before being swamped. no, I mean challenge as in "could potentially be too much for him". Between his skill, precognition, and literal laser sword, he could potentially funnel them into narrow hallways and other choke points to mitigate their numerical advantage. Then it just becomes a question of whether Vader can do that for several hours.

Galan007

Cutting things like flesh with a lightsaber is pretty easy. The saber itself weighs next to nothing (so it doesn't exactly need a lot of concentration/will),

Vader doesn't need to get within arrow range like the Elves/humans did. He's managed to exert his powers through space (when he choked his commander over vid screen).

78IJdhvY1zg?t=32

His blade can already be spinning through their ranks at head height (and thanks to them all being uniformly bred, they're all roughly the same height). No fatigue.

Or he could just cause a massive landslide and kill a good portion of them as they enter that choke point. Just imagine what Vader could do to the army if he spammed saber throws like this, for example:
Part III: Lightsaber Skill & Noteworthy Battles

Uses a saber-throw to drop a speeding X-Wing out of the sky:
https://i.ibb.co/M5mcjCz/throw7.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vd6ZNy0/throw8.jpg

*And for a point of reference, an X-Wing's in-atmosphere flight speed is 652mph:
https://i.ibb.co/7tr3GqY/throw9.jpg
...So that's one helluva throw.

StiltmanFTW
Vader doesn't need to get within arrow range like the Elves/humans did.

Crossbows don't use arrows. They use bolts (also known as quarrels).

They are known for superior range and power, but they take more time to reload.

It'd be actually interesting to examine Vader's saber throw feats closely. It all started with that lacklustre throw from RotJ, but saber throws have evolved a lot since then, obv.

edit: I see Galan couldn't stop himself and already posted one, that was quick.

DarkSaint85
Crossbows don't use arrows. They use bolts (also known as quarrels).

They are known for superior range and power, but they take more time to reload.

It'd be actually interesting to examine Vader's saber throw feats closely. It all started with that lacklustre throw from RotJ, but saber throws have evolved a lot since then, obv.

edit: I see Galan couldn't stop himself and already posted one, that was quick.

The elves and humans didn't use crossbows, but bows and arrows. I know fully what I said mad

My point was the alliance waited until they were in range before they started massing volleys of arrows. Whereas Vader has shown Force control over much larger ranges.

StiltmanFTW
https://tinyurl.com/n92hz3qx

This scan is the most delicious thing on the whole Internet.

DarkSaint85
https://tinyurl.com/n92hz3qx

This scan is the most delicious thing on the whole Internet.

That's Vader Year One. Later on, he was choking Prince Xizor from across the galaxy.

cdtm

78IJdhvY1zg?t=32

Or he could just cause a massive landslide and kill a good portion of them as they enter that choke point.

Yeah, but deathslash said "no force powers".

Which should include precognition or stamina/speed enhancements and such, let alone tk.

More or less the scenerio comic book Darth Vader is currently going through.

StiltmanFTW
That's Vader Year One. Later on, he was choking Prince Xizor from across the galaxy.

Yeah, range shouldn't be a problem, especially if we include all feats from both continuites, as cdtm wanted.

He still needs to maintain his concentration long enough to slaughter at least 10,000 superhuman opponents, though. That could be a problem, considering how easily Force users tend to get distracted and punked.

10,000 Chewies all eager to give Vader the rosebutt treatment again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.