Voice actors dropping their roles for skin color

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment

Robtard
I think it's silly overall, you're an actor and it's just a voice. No reason a White actor can't voice a Black character and vice-versa. If the voice fits a character, it fits.

I do understand where some voice actors are dropping roles where they were doing voices that were racially insensitive to some people.

Blakemore
Cleveland from family guy is a black male cartoon voiced by a white guy...

Impediment
I have many Indian friends who laugh at the notion of Apu from the Simpsons being insensitive.

Blakemore
Yeah, I liked Apu.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
I have many Indian friends who laugh at the notion of Apu from the Simpsons being insensitive.

I'm sure many do at the stereotype, but some didn't. Though I do think it was largely Azaria's choice.

cdtm

Blakemore
I think it was mostly due to him being an Indian man who owned a corner shop and had a big family. Classic stereotypes. Throw in the silly voice and I think you all get the point. Now, I'm no stranger to corner shops owned by south asian people, where I'm from, most are actually owned by bangladeshi people. They're also very nice and friendly and white english people work there too. Back to Apu. He was a great character and I think his removal was nothing more than a political statement, if anything.

Robtard
Someone like Azaria can afford it now, he's also doing other voices in the Simpson at 300K an episode.

Blakemore
Boh.

Homer doesn't say bo, he says......... D'oh!

cdtm
Will be interesting seeing how the argument holds up to fluid identity politics.

Unless they choose to ignore that elephant in the room.

Quincy
I think it's fine if people step away because they are uncomfortable. I wouldn't consider that "stupid."

Is it necessary? It's not a blanket yes or no. It would probably be weird if James Avery was doing an asian accent - I'd probably be like "maybe cast someone else." But maybe not even then. Like I love Phil Lamarr's Samurai Jack so, eh toss up.

James Earl Jones sounds like a weird one because that dude probably wasn't originally an old white guy, and also he's wearing like, a ****ing robot suit. That was just what the voicebox shit sounded like, right? I mean Hayden sounded exactly the same when it got strapped on.

And yeah I'm sure there are some Indian people who aren't offended by Apu, but there are plenty who are. I'm not gonna toss my two cents into that argument because I don't have a dog in this fight. Especially because The Simpsons isn't as good as FUTURAMA

cdtm
I have an Indian friend who was pretty offended by a Diablo voice actor.

It was a really bad over the top impersonation though.

Impediment
What about ScarJo as an Asian character in Ghost in the Shell?

Blakemore
Originally posted by cdtm
Will be interesting seeing how the argument holds up to fluid identity politics.

Unless they choose to ignore that elephant in the room. Indian elephant or african elephant?

Robtard
LoL

Monty Python-ish

Quincy
Originally posted by cdtm

Unless they choose to ignore that elephant in the room.

I've thought about this same thing!

It's a tricky slope. Like now that Eliot Page has transitioned to Male, he's now playing a female character on Umbrella Academy.

Like where's the line? I know he was already playing her before his transition, and I know it's difficult for trans actors to get roles, so it's kinda weird to parse.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Robtard
LoL

Monty Python-ish ayy lmao

Trocity
Originally posted by Blakemore
Cleveland from family guy is a black male cartoon voiced by a white guy...

Not anymore.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Trocity
Not anymore. say what?

jaden_2.0
8rq8zwNsiSY

Blakemore
So.... Green doesn't voice cleveland anymore. Hmm, oh well. erm

BruceSkywalker

well feige should've hired an actual russian actress instead of a white woman big grin laughing out loud

ares834

Was stupid. But that was live action. In animation, the race and, hell, sex of the actor doesn't matter as long as they have the correct voice.

Zenwolf
I don't really see an issue. A voice is a voice, if it fits....it fits.

BackFire

Adam_PoE
Look at those poll results. Not what they were expecting, huh?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.