who is the best swordsman in comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DantasKEdc
who is the best swordsman in comics?

StiltmanFTW
Hulk

Adam Grimes
Prince Charming.

StiltmanFTW
Eugene from TWD

Bentley
Boy Thing shifty

StiltmanFTW
laughing

MrMind
me, when I cockfight with my boys

StiltmanFTW
love

cdtm
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Prince Charming.

thumb up

Bet Snow can give him run for it.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Bentley
Boy Thing shifty

laughing out loud

beatboks
If web comics count Dr McNinja

GodofNature
Originally posted by beatboks
If web comics count Dr McNinja
What has he done with swords?

beatboks
Originally posted by GodofNature
What has he done with swords?

Taken down a horde of ninja a few times

http://drmcninja.com/comics/2007-01-205p30.jpg

He's also used his sword to block divert machine gun fire the WW does with bracelets

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by beatboks
Taken down a horde of ninja a few times

http://drmcninja.com/comics/2007-01-205p30.jpg

He's also used his sword to block divert machine gun fire the WW does with bracelets

Not to pour cold water on you, but....is that it?

beatboks
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Not to pour cold water on you, but....is that it?

you think using one a sword to deflect several opponents firing automatic weapons at him is a poor show of swordsmanship? I can't find the scan ATM unfortunately. I mean he's faced multiple enhanced humans too, and defeated his mom in a sword fight. She's supposed to be an uber level swordswoman and defeated multiple ninja too, she just didn't do so in like 3 panels like him. In one panel he has 8 or so ninja in front of him )the one I loaded, the next panel he's surrounded by 20 or so with a sword moving and the next they're all at his feet fallen. Being a web comic it's hard to actually show is feats. that's why I said if web comics count. the story is like a a cut version of a normal comic with pages missing here and there. they are sort of like Golden age comics where the story is told in only a dozen or so pages

DarkSaint85
Maybe I am jaded, but in comics, that's not that impressive.

Just off the top of my head, for example, Gorgon has done it a couple of times:
https://i.imgur.com/C8gj0Fd.jpg

Katana did it recently:
https://i.postimg.cc/rmHJkmhX/28-1.jpg

Magnon
Surely The Flash is one of the best swordsmen, if not *the* best.

For example, I'm sure he could easily block machine gun fire with a (durable enough) sword. And assuming no PIS, he should be able to defeat Gorgons and Katanas and such in a sword fight.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Magnon
Surely The Flash is one of the best swordsmen, if not *the* best.

For example, I'm sure he could easily block machine gun fire with a (durable enough) sword. And assuming no PIS, he should be able to defeat Gorgons and Katanas and such in a sword fight.

He'd be doing it based on speed, as opposed to skill, however. Which would be why he wouldn't rate as highly.

Against Gorgon, it would also depend. If he had his eyes uncovered at the start of the fight, and Flash didn't know about it...

Magnon
He'd be doing it based on speed, as opposed to skill, however. Which would be why he wouldn't rate as highly.

Against Gorgon, it would also depend. If he had his eyes uncovered at the start of the fight, and Flash didn't know about it...
Yes, but those bullet-time feats from the other swordsmen also require superspeed. You can't block multiple-source automatic gun fire with skill alone. So if we allow superspeed when assessing the best swordsman in comics, the Flash immediately becomes a contender.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Magnon
Yes, but those bullet-time feats from the other swordsmen also require superspeed. You can't block multiple-source automatic gun fire with skill alone. So if we allow superspeed when assessing the best swordsman in comics, the Flash immediately becomes a contender.

It's depiction is a skill feat not a speed feat

Philosophía
Originally posted by Sin I AM
It's depiction is a skill feat not a speed feat https://media0.giphy.com/media/9G3wg7lH5DpxC/giphy-downsized-large.gif

Magnon
It's depiction is a skill feat not a speed feat
If you can move your sword and your hands fast enough to block bullets, that's a speed feat (both reaction and movement speed). No amount of skill would allow one to deflect bullets the way shown in DS's scans without superspeed.

Sin I AM
No. Its a skill feat. It's the mastery of swordplay at a superhuman level. Sheesh you'd think I was the only person who read comics around here.

ShadowFyre
The initial blocking of the bullet is a speed feat as anyone with superseded can block a projectile. The returning it with accuracy/precision is a skill feat.

DarkSaint85
Even with all the time in the world, I honestly can't say that I'd be able to block a bullet with a sword - I'd be able to bat it away if I had superspeed, sure, but to time it just right like that? That's skill.

Superspeed obv helps of course. But it's comics - MA skill jumps one's stats up several levels.

No one says Hulk is the best h2h combatant, even though he fights with his bare hands in 99% of his fights, and wins.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Even with all the time in the world, I honestly can't say that I'd be able to block a bullet with a sword - I'd be able to bat it away if I had superspeed, sure, but to time it just right like that? That's skill.

Superspeed obv helps of course. But it's comics - MA skill jumps one's stats up several levels.

No one says Hulk is the best h2h combatant, even though he fights with his bare hands in 99% of his fights, and wins.

A skilled comic MA probably reads the body language of his attackers, hears the click and is skilled enough to anticipate where the bullet goes so he can start the movement before the trigger is pulled completely.

Stoic
I'd think that anyone that does not possess super speed that is capable of deflecting machine gun bullets with a sword, would rate far higher than someone that possessed super speed with no former training in swordsmanship. Reason being, if you removed their super speed, would they possess the skill to deflect the barrage of bullets if they were never trained in swordsmanship? Probably not.

Sin I AM
It's like saint said. Being an ma ups your baseline stats. It's a skill based

StiltmanFTW
It's like saint said. Being an ma ups your baseline stats. It's a skill based

Pretty much.

Strength - targeting weak spots or/and "knowing how to throw a really mean punch"

Durability - rolling with the blows, controlling one's body functions, including (but not limited to) adrenalin surges and blood loss

Speed, reflexes - conserving energy, moving in the most efficient way, predicting/reading attacks, always being a few steps ahead of the enemy

And so on...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.