Marvelous Marvin Haggler dead at 66

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/13/marvin-hagler-dead-middleweight-champion?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The Sugar Ray Leonard fight was impossible to judge and maybe the greatest fight ever.

samhain
Just found this out, my favourite of all time. The fight with Minter at Wembley, the war with Hearns a few years later, this man owned the division in the 80's, hell, he was only knocked down once.

I would lean towards a Hagler win in the Sugar Ray fight. Leonard seemed to get some kind of sympathy vote because everybody thought he'd never fight again and he threw flashier combos without landing as many as Hagler did. Leonard also went back into retirement straight away, denying Hagler a rematch which he was totally up for because he knew that he mostly lost to popularity and the fact that he'd been champ for 7 years and certain bodies wanted a change.

RIP Marvelous Marvin.

Jmanghan
RIP.

Trocity
RIP to a true gangster.

StyleTime
RIP Hagler. You're a legend.

Some folks are using his death to fuel anti-vaxxing conspiracies though.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by samhain
Just found this out, my favourite of all time. The fight with Minter at Wembley, the war with Hearns a few years later, this man owned the division in the 80's, hell, he was only knocked down once.

I would lean towards a Hagler win in the Sugar Ray fight. Leonard seemed to get some kind of sympathy vote because everybody thought he'd never fight again and he threw flashier combos without landing as many as Hagler did. Leonard also went back into retirement straight away, denying Hagler a rematch which he was totally up for because he knew that he mostly lost to popularity and the fact that he'd been champ for 7 years and certain bodies wanted a change.

RIP Marvelous Marvin. rewatched his major fights last week Sam. I still think Leonard did enough.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.