Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Confirmed!

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-reportedly-coming-from-port-studio-aspyr

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-21-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-developed-by-aspyr

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-kotor-remake-developer-aspyr-schreier-minnmax/

WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

ares834
"Confirmed"

Don't get me wrong, Jason Schreier is usually right. But he's not exactly batting a 1000.

Anyway, Aspyr is a port company. So I'm not exactly enthusiastic about them actually developing a full on remake.

cdtm
The original is fine as is, no ports needed.

Smasandian
I wouldn't mind a graphical upgrade.

Nemesis X
Really hope this wasn't that rumored KOTOR game talked about months back 'cause I've been waiting for a new one and this drops on me like a deflating bagpipe.

cdtm
Originally posted by Smasandian
I wouldn't mind a graphical upgrade.

Mods.

Smasandian
Yeah, not the same thing. If we are talking about uprezzing the original game, sure maybe mods do the trick.

A complete texture replacement, complete lighting and effect replacement and complete rework of the animation systems.....yeah right, mods wont come close.

I loved KOTOR, I think it was a fantastic game...and I would be just happy with a complete graphical overhaul. Leave the rest the same. Maybe give an option for an different combat system...but leave the old combat system in the game as well.

Hell...I would be very happy if they take KOTOR and go crazy with it and add Fallen Jedi combat system to the game.

BackFire
Sounds good. I never was able to get into the original game because of how dated it is in so many ways. An update to preserve the story but improve the graphics/gameplay to modern standards sounds great to me. Hope they don't **** it up.

Jmanghan
Real quick, am I the only one who could never beat Malak without running away and using force lightning?

He was far and away the hardest boss in the game.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Real quick, am I the only one who could never beat Malak without running away and using force lightning?

He was far and away the hardest boss in the game.

I had to turn the difficulty down just to beat him.

cdtm
I beat him easily. Just used force speed and a bunch of damage reduction buffs and beat him down.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
I beat him easily. Just used force speed and a bunch of damage reduction buffs and beat him down. Well I went for a pure powerhouse build myself which was probably my downfall. I didn't spend points in more obscure abilities. Just went with some dark side powers, force lightning, saber and sword proficiency.

Smasandian
But that's a bit bullshit though.

I don't remember having difficulty beating Malek...but I think I was on the easiest setting....its been a really long time.

But a ending boss (or all bosses and situations) should be beatable by any RPG build. Kind of defeats the purpose of allowing various skills and abilities!

I can understand in regards to loot shooters or something like that...because its about getting powerful within the loot system to beat a boss....but saying "oh I cant beat this boss because I dont have this specific power" is bad design in a game that allows you to role play!

Arachnid1
I never got to play this one back in the day but I've heard good things.

Smasandian
Yeah, it was basically my first RPG.

I never liked RPG's but most of them that I saw were Japenese RPGs.....so I heard good things about KOTOR so I picked it up on the PC a couple of years later after release and I loved it.

It's old but the story is still good and worth playing. But I would love to see what they do with a remake because the graphics are very old and some locations could be pretty damn awesome to see if they redid everything.

ares834
But a ending boss (or all bosses and situations) should be beatable by any RPG build. Kind of defeats the purpose of allowing various skills and abilities!

I can understand in regards to loot shooters or something like that...because its about getting powerful within the loot system to beat a boss....but saying "oh I cant beat this boss because I dont have this specific power" is bad design in a game that allows you to role play!

In these types of games, much of the skill comes from making a good build. With that said, the final boss is beatable with pretty much any build. Just not necessarily on the hardest difficulty nor without a bit of cheese.

Anyway, I've beat KotOR many times and can't remember struggling much with Malak.

cdtm
I was surprised he was as manageable as he was. Thought maybe everyone was talking about a different boss fight.

Smasandian
Originally posted by ares834
In these types of games, much of the skill comes from making a good build. With that said, the final boss is beatable with pretty much any build. Just not necessarily on the hardest difficulty nor without a bit of cheese.

Anyway, I've beat KotOR many times and can't remember struggling much with Malak.

I disagree on that....

For loot based games like Diablo, Division and etc...I can get behind that argument. That's the point of them. To create good builds.

But KOTOR is not like that.. its a story based role playing game...each ability that you can max out should be able to beat the game. If not...its not about roleplaying. If you can only beat the game using force lightening...but you are a good Jedi....how is that fair.

ares834
If you can only beat the game using force lightening...but you are a good Jedi....how is that fair.

But that's not the case. You don't need force lightning to beat the game...

cdtm
I rolled full paragon.

Smasandian
But that's not the case. You don't need force lightning to beat the game...

I mean in general...not specifically force lightening and KOTOR. I should of been more clear.

I have seen this in other games as well. Evil Within 2 allows to upgrade in both combat or stealth...but there is one section of the game where you get bombarded by enemy types and you need to kill them and if you spent all your points in stealth, you might actually be ****ed.

KingD19
The only game I can confirm did this and to an extreme was Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Your boss fights were basically unbeatable if you didn't have points in combat and were trying a stealth or charisma build. It was so bad when they remade the game, they tweaked the difficulty and added stuff like hackable turrets so you could still win without having to stack your deck with a warrior build.

Malak was fairly difficult as any endgame boss should be, and he whooped my ass once or twice when I started, but after I figured out how he played he wasn't impossible. Especially since I'd leveled up so much by doing every sidequest, grinding, etc...

Jmanghan
I guess I ****ed suck at KOTOR, I've beaten the game at least 5 separate times in various stages through-out my life, on PC and OG Xbox, always had an immensely tough time with him.

In fact if I tried to engage with him in saber combat for more then a few turns he always killed me. I have never beaten him fairly (on any difficulty.)

However, on the flip side, KOTOR II's final boss was easy as all hell. Nihilus was easy, Sion was easy, Traya was easy.

KingD19
KOTOR 2 was missing like 20, maybe more hours of content, several worlds and dozens of missions and storylines because EA only gave Obsidian like 9 months so they could have a Christmas release. So I think the final boss fight we got wasn't the true grueling ordeal we were supposed to get.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by KingD19
KOTOR 2 was missing like 20, maybe more hours of content, several worlds and dozens of missions and storylines because EA only gave Obsidian like 9 months so they could have a Christmas release. So I think the final boss fight we got wasn't the true grueling ordeal we were supposed to get. Huh?

It wasn't missing nearly THAT much content but it was missing quite a bit. KOTOR II cut content mod is a must. I know it doesn't restore everything, but it restores most things.

If they decide to re-release/remaster the games, they better get ahold of that cut content.

Jmanghan
Also, for those wanting a huge mod for KOTOR 1, there is "Brotherhood of Shadows: Solomon's Revenge".

By far one of the coolest mods in gaming history, imo:
BJVhj4fvUqI

Tzeentch
Some builds are probably easier than others to win with. I had no problem beating him, but my build was a light side jedi guardian with maxed out force speed and flurry, so in close combat he just got shredded.

-Pr-
COMPLETE REMAKE,

as said by the dev himself:

AjrviKWU14M

The CGI trailer:

aw9RaACjZmM

Jmanghan
aw9RaACjZmM

ares834
Hell yeah.

No gameplay suggests it's awhile out. Still hype as ****.

Smasandian
It's a timed exclusive for PS5.
EDIT: My mistake, also coming to PC.

Stealth Moose
It's a timed exclusive for PS5.
EDIT: My mistake, also coming to PC.

Yeah, the devs confirmed it will release for other platforms, but not enough people are buying Spiderman so they need to really push for that $500 PS5.

To be honest, I am not sure I'd care much about a remake. Unless they redid the engine, added content, and made the gameplay deeper or something, why would I care? I've beaten it so many times on Xbox and PC I'm over it. KotOR II had better build potential and a darker, less stock hero storyline anyways.

One of the big draws of KotOR 1 was the big reveal on the Leviathan. Without that bit, all they're riding on is nostalgia.

Also, you can totally cheese Malak with stealth and mines.

Smasandian
Yes...I assume it's a push to compete with MS recent dev purchases.
I don't mind 1st party exclusives but I do not really like third party exclusives..and especially hate content exclusives like DLC and etc.

I hope the remake is pretty substantial and it would be neat if they re-did the entire combat system.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Yeah, the devs confirmed it will release for other platforms, but not enough people are buying Spiderman so they need to really push for that $500 PS5.

To be honest, I am not sure I'd care much about a remake. Unless they redid the engine, added content, and made the gameplay deeper or something, why would I care? I've beaten it so many times on Xbox and PC I'm over it. KotOR II had better build potential and a darker, less stock hero storyline anyways.

One of the big draws of KotOR 1 was the big reveal on the Leviathan. Without that bit, all they're riding on is nostalgia.

Also, you can totally cheese Malak with stealth and mines. I assume they're gonna take what we got in the original game and refine it.

I'm assuming it's no longer gonna be turn-based, but exclusively real-time. If they make it better than the original it could potentially surpass Mass Effect 2.

Also it'd be silly to not add some content, but I agree if it's a 1:1 remake that'll be cool... buuut it's not something we need. I'm fine replaying the original KOTOR every year or two to satiate my enjoyment, plus it's got a pretty decent modding community and I'm not sure if this remake will fair as well in that department unless they are catering heavily to fans of the original.

I'm thinking (and hoping) they're gonna keep what was good and refine it much further.

Maybe improve combat, and the game already looks gorgeous if Revan's face was in-engine.

Jmanghan
TO BE HONEST though... I'd really they rather made (or changed) The Old Republic: Revan into gaming form.

Smasandian
I think combat needs to approve at least....I'm not sure how...but I would like to see it a bit more involved.

KingD19
Just never gonna get TOR on consoles or KOTOR 3 I guess.

I hope the combat is something like a 2021 version of Jade Empire for the melee and Mass Effect for the gunplay. They're both pretty similar on the "magic" aspect.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by KingD19
Just never gonna get TOR on consoles or KOTOR 3 I guess.

I hope the combat is something like a 2021 version of Jade Empire for the melee and Mass Effect for the gunplay. They're both pretty similar on the "magic" aspect. Why would you want TOR on consoles? It's a horrible MMO.

It's like current WoW only less good with a Star Wars paintjob.

ares834
TO BE HONEST though... I'd really they rather made (or changed) The Old Republic: Revan into gaming form.

God know. I wouldn't mind a KotOR 3, but only if it has nothing to do with the abortion that is SWTOR and is based on Avellone's original plans.

Jmanghan
God know. I wouldn't mind a KotOR 3, but only if it has nothing to do with the abortion that is SWTOR and is based on Avellone's original plans. Well the problem is, "Revan" leads directly into TOR, so they'd have to do some massive retconning to make it make sense.

ares834
Nothing needs to "make sense" nor is there any need for retcons. It's all non-canon now. I'm advocating straight up ignoring TORtanic and making KotOR 3 as it was originally envisioned wherein the True Sith are not the lame Galactic Empire knock off that we see in SWTOR and are ultimately destroyed by Revan and the Exile over the course of the game.

cdtm
Nothing needs to "make sense" nor is there any need for retcons. It's all non-canon now. I'm advocating straight up ignoring TORtanic and making KotOR 3 as it was originally envisioned wherein the True Sith are not the lame Galactic Empire knock off that we see in SWTOR and are ultimately destroyed by Revan and the Exile over the course of the game.

Not likely. Disney won't even let the What If..?? people use Star Wars characters, in spite of the entire point of the franchise to have fun with non canon scenerios that don't count.

They're pretty draconian about protecting canon.

Jmanghan
Nothing needs to "make sense" nor is there any need for retcons. It's all non-canon now. I'm advocating straight up ignoring TORtanic and making KotOR 3 as it was originally envisioned wherein the True Sith are not the lame Galactic Empire knock off that we see in SWTOR and are ultimately destroyed by Revan and the Exile over the course of the game. Oof, my bad.

I figured since they kept supporting TOR for some reason it made it canon, rip.

Impediment

Jmanghan
^ Do you like Mass Effect? For my money, it's a better Mass Effect 1. With worse graphics and combat but a far better story and characters.

Nemesis X
So this is the writer for the remake...

https://cdn.soapps.net/comments-service/images/8fb75420-2f14-11eb-94e4-1d62e0b603ca/2ccbfb4d-855a-4a06-91c1-1b37ccbd6db5

https://cdn.soapps.net/comments-service/images/8fb75420-2f14-11eb-94e4-1d62e0b603ca/58b083b7-573c-45c1-aadf-67644bfc2d09

https://cdn.soapps.net/comments-service/images/8fb75420-2f14-11eb-94e4-1d62e0b603ca/1ae1897a-1fb5-4d4a-86bc-95609ac22c69

https://cdn.soapps.net/comments-service/images/8fb75420-2f14-11eb-94e4-1d62e0b603ca/9d314f16-4b5d-493e-a347-2af31530fe95

https://cdn.soapps.net/comments-service/images/8fb75420-2f14-11eb-94e4-1d62e0b603ca/62d89f46-d7b3-4b32-ae2c-76f05d86a40b

Nemesis X
Toxicly defending the sequel trilogy, saying how the originals suck, not even liking the KOTOR games and this was the first person that came to mind they wanted to make a Star Wars game?

Tzeentch
Did I miss a tweet? Where did she say that she doesn't like knights of the Old republic? She said it wasn't her favorite Star wars game. It's not mine either.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Did I miss a tweet? Where did she say that she doesn't like knights of the Old republic? She said it wasn't her favorite Star wars game. It's not mine either. Mine either, it's pure RPG excellence, but in terms of genre I prefer stuff like Jedi Academy. Hell I'd maybe even put Republic Commando above it if it had more levels and content.

Stealth Moose
I think combat needs to approve at least....I'm not sure how...but I would like to see it a bit more involved.

KotOR's combat is a modified NWN combat, and that's pushing 20 years old right now. Personally, after having spent a shitton of time in Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Baldur's Gate 3, I'm all for a return to traditional turn based combat with tactical nuance for once. If it plays like Dragon Age 1, I'll dodge it like a draft. That Infinity Engine real time BS was fun years ago but I'm pushing 40 and I don't want to mind a bunch of virtual children manually because their AI is garbage and auto-pause is as jarring as spikes on a car seat.

Why would you want TOR on consoles? It's a horrible MMO.

It's like current WoW only less good with a Star Wars paintjob.

TOR is actually pretty awesome in terms of available content, solo friendly questing, and class-centric storytelling.

And it's Star Wars. WoW jumped the shark so long ago it's barely worth bringing up anymore unless they're going to nerf more lewd background paintings.

^ Do you like Mass Effect? For my money, it's a better Mass Effect 1. With worse graphics and combat but a far better story and characters.

Mass Effect is a MUCH better space opera, with better world building, dialogue, and combat compared to KotOR 1. Even if it has aged like an apple core in a dumpster in July.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
So this is the writer for the remake...

https://cdn.soapps.net/comments-service/images/8fb75420-2f14-11eb-94e4-1d62e0b603ca/2ccbfb4d-855a-4a06-91c1-1b37ccbd6db5

https://cdn.soapps.net/comments-service/images/8fb75420-2f14-11eb-94e4-1d62e0b603ca/58b083b7-573c-45c1-aadf-67644bfc2d09

https://cdn.soapps.net/comments-service/images/8fb75420-2f14-11eb-94e4-1d62e0b603ca/1ae1897a-1fb5-4d4a-86bc-95609ac22c69

https://cdn.soapps.net/comments-service/images/8fb75420-2f14-11eb-94e4-1d62e0b603ca/9d314f16-4b5d-493e-a347-2af31530fe95

https://cdn.soapps.net/comments-service/images/8fb75420-2f14-11eb-94e4-1d62e0b603ca/62d89f46-d7b3-4b32-ae2c-76f05d86a40b

I think I threw up in my mouth. Is this a real person or an account of a caricature?

The Last Jedi probably the worst SW film in existence, and Rise of Skywalker might contest even that. I'd rather see George Lucas release a THX remastered version of the Christmas special than either of those films again.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Toxicly defending the sequel trilogy, saying how the originals suck, not even liking the KOTOR games and this was the first person that came to mind they wanted to make a Star Wars game?

Hollywood, and now game companies, think it's cool to be inclusive, but instead of bringing on reasonable talent which respects people as people, they tend to bring on morons who alienate their core fanbases.

No, Gingerbitch, Rey isn't a bad character because she's a Mary Sue; she's a bad character because she has the depth of a shower puddle and half of her character arc, if you can call it that, doesn't make any ****ing sense. I went into the ST hoping to lampoon Kylo and ended up liking him much more than her. Hell, they did my boy Luke dirty by making him want to kill his nephew when he had fought tooth and nail to redeem his child-murdering estranged Dark Side using father.

Then you have Holdo, who has no respect for Poe and genuinely incites rebellion with her half-cocked leadership, Snoke being a walking red herring, Sidious/Sheev coming back for no reason at all since he's on life support, Force diodes, the remaking of Sith and Jedi homeplanets as being one-biome cesspools with no real history behind them, the First Order outpacing the old Empire by miles with mysterious funding, a Sith knife which can point to a hidden holocron, etc. etc. Oh and every single saber fight looks like Ray Charles and Geordi LaForge without his visor swatting at mosquitoes. Absolute garbage writing, nonsense excuse plots, bad characters, disrespect to established good characters in the saga...

I can't go on a tangent about this or I'll start speaking in tongues, I swear.

Ridley_Prime
"Anakin was auto-born strongest Jedi because midichlorians"

Yet he was arrogant. He failed to save his mom and his wife whom he turned to the dark side for. He got his limbs sliced off. The man died to save his son.

Yep, totally a Gary Stu. Rey had no real development or flaws to speak of. You can like her in some way, but there's no defending her like that. I was never that big on KoToR like other Star Wars games, but knowing this person's the writer with all those red flags seems to already kill interest in this game for people.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

Yet he was arrogant. He failed to save his mom and his wife whom he turned to the dark side for. He got his limbs sliced off. The man died to save his son.

Yep, totally a Gary Stu. Rey had no real development or flaws to speak of. You can like her in some way, but there's no defending her like that. I was never that big on KoToR like other Star Wars games, but knowing this person's the writer with all those red flags seems to already kill interest in this game for people.

I mean, yeah, I wouldn't waste my time if she's the head writer. Her credits are not promising, and she had no hand in the original at all. Her inflammatory social media presence tells me she is more interested in pushing her agenda than writing objectively solid fiction and making fans eager to pony up their cash. If she botches the delivery of this game, The Old Republic might die a horrible death after all these years.

ares834
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

Well yeah, she's either a retard or is arguing in completely bad faith. Or maybe both. Plus, midichlorians were one of the biggest points of contention with the prequels.

cdtm

Funny, reviews called kotor1 the beta for the complete ME experience.

cdtm
Well yeah, she's either a retard or is arguing in completely bad faith. Or maybe both. Plus, midichlorians were one of the biggest points of contention with the prequels.

I just don't understand it. Why was Ronald D. Moore able to write a show with all the staples of feminist programming, what with the gender swapping and the high number of women in important positions and a lot of women in general, and do it while actually writing compelling characterization, yet the current "woke" era seems blind to character building?

I mean, is it laziness? Because it sure isn't ignorance, the people helming this shite are well trained in film theory, so this is willfully turning a blind eye.

Stealth Moose
Just in case any of you had high hopes for this remake, the company behind it is known for porting games and nothing else.

So you have a writer who hasn't written Star Wars and has a strong feminist agenda which permeates through her writing, a dev company not known for original works at all, and apparently I've heard Beamdog lost the bid to remake the game to them to boot.

Also, the fact that a remake game NEEDS a writer at all is a bit concerning, since that implies they're rewriting substantial amounts of content. If they intend to make it nu canon to mesh with Disney, I can expect only the worst.

Jmanghan
https://gamerant.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-saber-interactive/

Thank you god Saber for dropping Aspyr from this product, they put less work into their ports then EA does into their games and charge extra for it to boot.

"We don't feel like supporting servers for this game, so you get no multiplayer but we're still gonna charge you extra even though we removed large portions of the game and made it a far lesser experience overall." People who play Jedi Academy on console do not like this company at all, lol.

Anyway, even if that weren't the case, their poor performance and behavior through-out the development cycle thus far had me less then hopeful.

ares834
Not like Saber Interactive is some great company either.

At this point, I'd rather this just be completely cancelled.

Jmanghan
Not like Saber Interactive is some great company either.

At this point, I'd rather this just be completely cancelled. It's not but Aspyr will always be a company that doesn't care. They were given entry-level stuff: Port some games over, and somehow they managed to **** that up badly. I think they went a week without patching KOTOR II despite the fact that no one in the world could beat it.

Just recently the Jedi Academy servers on Switch (and presumably PS4, the only SW game that they left the multiplayer feature in) went down about a week ago, they still aren't up yet. They are legitimately a company that would rather remove multiplayer modes from a game outright then support them, banned most Switch players from their discord because of complaints about their SW ports (some of which have gone on to make their own discords, some housing hundreds of people.)

Then they charge extra for these ports, including the extremely gimped version of JKA.

Anyway, back to the topic... I don't have high hopes for this remake but I still don't think it will be awful, I think it will run well and be fun. It clearly won't be as good as the original and anyone expecting otherwise is (and was) kidding themselves. The FFVII remake was a good game... but did anyone really, honestly expect it to live up to the original? If it ends up being horrible then we always have the original as well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.