Most shitty weirdo's, Inhumans, Eternals, New Gods?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Old Man Whirly!
For me New Gods are shittiest.

EcstaticGrace

Old Man Whirly!

StyleTime
I'd have to agree. I really struggle to find anything compelling about the Inhumans. I'm glad Marvel eased up on giving them a push.

Smurph

Bentley
The concepts are ok but most characters from either group are all kinds of terrible. They really have just a few good characters here and there (Blackbolt for the inhumans, Metron for the New Gods, Tutinax from the Eternals shifty )

Fortunately for the New Gods the Mr. Miracle series was pretty dope while none of the other groups has a single good book.

Stoic
Triton the Inhuman. He reminds me of J'onn, but thousands of times less powerful. Totally useless. Couldn't think of an entire race, because they all have winners.

Bentley
I actually enjoy Triton's utter lack of personality, it reminds me of a bunch of people here in KMC

StiltmanFTW
Triton is the only character in the whole comicverse weaker than Aquaman.

DarkSaint85
Either the Eternals or the New Gods, with the New Gods having crappier characters (Kanto, for example, or Baron Vundabar).

cdtm
New Gods aren't shitty, they're just poorly written. Same as John Constantine being way ooc in 90% of appearances, that is no fault of the character.

Read Kirby's older work like Mr. Miracle. And Walter Simonson's Orion for a proper Darkseid:

https://m.comixology.com/Orion-2000-2002-24/digital-comic/461709

Read the preview pages. Tell me you don't wish this was Darkseid all the time.

DarkSaint85
That doesn't mean Baron Wundabar and Kanto don't exist.

cdtm
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
That doesn't mean Baron Wundabar and Kanto don't exist.

What's wrong with Kanto? eek!

I kind of like how he messed with Martian Manhunter, got him through his fancy phase shifting.

CosmicComet
Only the Inhumans suck.

abhilegend

abhilegend
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Triton is the only character in the whole comicverse weaker than Aquaman.
No cookie for you after besmirching the name of Karnak 😡😡😡😡

EcstaticGrace

cdtm
Hated Medusa since the War of Kings or whatever it was. When she slapped around Gorgon for daring to actually save lives against her orders.

Hated how he just took it, that would have justified a royal back stabbing in Rome.

MrMind
new gods suck so bad, they can't even stick to one origin story

StyleTime
Originally posted by cdtm
New Gods aren't shitty, they're just poorly written. Same as John Constantine being way ooc in 90% of appearances, that is no fault of the character.

Read Kirby's older work like Mr. Miracle. And Walter Simonson's Orion for a proper Darkseid:

https://m.comixology.com/Orion-2000-2002-24/digital-comic/461709

Read the preview pages. Tell me you don't wish this was Darkseid all the time.
Yeah, I gotta invoke Leo's Outlier vs Consistency thread idea here.

I'm sure we could mention a standout arc or character, but having 90% shit stories kinda indicates the character and their story is shit, no?

Especially when the "good" portrayal is the character essentially not acting like themselves.

Spartan 3.0 is a good example. Incredible at his peak, but he was essentially a new character. He was given a much more robust inner world during his best years. Before that, and after if we're being honest, he was completely generic and forgettable.

SquallX

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by StyleTime

I'm sure we could mention a standout arc or character, but having 90% shit stories kinda indicates the character and their story is shit, no?

Especially when the "good" portrayal is the character essentially not acting like themselves.

Spartan 3.0 is a good example. Incredible at his peak, but he was essentially a new character. He was given a much more robust inner world during his best years. Before that, and after if we're being honest, he was completely generic and forgettable. thumb up Agreed.

cdtm

cdtm

Spartan 3.0 is a good example. Incredible at his peak, but he was essentially a new character. He was given a much more robust inner world during his best years. Before that, and after if we're being honest, he was completely generic and forgettable.

That just means 90% of writers are bad writers. Superman is written pretty awful most of the time, only Morrison and ironically Garth Ennis really "gets" him.

And Batman has far too many examples of godawful character writing. Like War Games.

GalacticStorm
Eternals>Inhumans>New Gods

StyleTime
Originally posted by cdtm
That just means 90% of writers are bad writers. Superman is written pretty awful most of the time, only Morrison and ironically Garth Ennis really "gets" him.

And Batman has far too many examples of godawful character writing. Like War Games.
I don't think the complaint is that they are out of character though, at least not egregiously so. It's just that the actual stories are usually dogshit or meh.

Out of character moments do happen of course, and they occur to most mainstream comic characters; however, you're talking about someone being out of character all the time. At that point, that is the character, isn't it? If Darkseid is only a "proper" Darkseid in a story from 800 years ago, then is that really Darkseid? We'd just be talking about what we want him to be, rather than what he is.

For comparison's sake, only Remender and Morrison can write a compelling Fantomex. Other writers still have him in character, but they fail to make it feel organic for various reasons. The hall of mirrors thing is difficult to pull off. That's different from Bendis X-23, where she's just blatantly not herself.

You're saying Darkseid is Bendis X-23, except he's always that.

Old Man Whirly!
I don't think the complaint is that they are out of character though, at least not egregiously so. It's just that the actual stories are usually dogshit or meh.

Out of character moments do happen of course, and they occur to most mainstream comic characters; however, you're talking about someone being out of character all the time. At that point, that is the character, isn't it? If Darkseid is only a "proper" Darkseid in a story from 800 years ago, then is that really Darkseid? We'd just be talking about what we want him to be, rather than what he is.

For comparison's sake, only Remender and Morrison can write a compelling Fantomex. Other writers still have him in character, but they fail to make it feel organic for various reasons. The hall of mirrors thing is difficult to pull off. That's different from Bendis X-23, where she's just blatantly not herself.

You're saying Darkseid is Bendis X-23, except he's always that. Exactly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.