Resident Evil 0

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Resident Evil 0, known in Japan as biohazard 0, is a survival horror video game that was developed and published by Capcom for the Nintendo GameCube and released in 2002. It is the seventh home console game in the Resident Evil series by release order and was the last of the title to use the original Multi-View gameplay system prior to the release of Resident Evil 4.

A remastered, high-definition version of the game was released in January 2016, known in Japan as the biohazard 0 HD remaster. It was also included in the Origins Collection. A port of the remaster was released on May 21, 2019 for the Nintendo Switch.

8i23-QWPIzs

Wanted to talk about this game as I play it, couldn't find a thread, but it had an HD remaster that was ported to Switch in 2019 so I think a thread finally being made is justified.

This is a thread to talk about both the original game and the remaster.

Adam Grimes
I really liked this one.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Kazenji
Disliked the inventory system for RE 0 apart from that it was a okay game.

Jmanghan
****ing stupid save system. Accidentally used 2 ink ribbons because I like to make multiple saves, don't ask me why, but it's just a thing I've always done. I like to save 3 times in the same place.

Rebecca ended up on "danger", couldn't find any healing items, then died. Stupid stupid save system.

Kazenji
The save system is no different to Resident Evil 1.....maybe its you're screw up erm

Jmanghan
The save system is no different to Resident Evil 1.....maybe its you're screw up erm I've never played Resident Evil 1. RE4 is the only RE game I've ever beaten, I'm just way into the lore.

People complaining about Saviour Schnapps in Kingdom Come: Deliverance should be complaining about Ink Ribbons in RE the same way.

StyleTime
I should give you a heads up since you're planning on playing the originals too.

In the main series, every game before 4 uses ink ribbons.

It was part of their approach to building tension. There was a sacrifice for basically everything you do. You had to manage resources or else you'd wind up with no ribbons left.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I've never played Resident Evil 1. RE4 is the only RE game I've ever beaten, I'm just way into the lore.

People complaining about Saviour Schnapps in Kingdom Come: Deliverance should be complaining about Ink Ribbons in RE the same way.

Except people aren't, People have gotten used to using Ink Ribbons.

Jmanghan
Except people aren't, People have gotten used to using Ink Ribbons. It's still a bad game mechanic. It was bad in 1996 and it's bad today.

Kazenji
It's still a bad game mechanic. It was bad in 1996 and it's bad today.

Says one person on the internet.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by StyleTime
I should give you a heads up since you're planning on playing the originals too.

It was part of their approach to building tension. There was a sacrifice for basically everything you do. You had to manage resources or else you'd wind up with no ribbons left. It didn't make me tense though, it just made me angry when I died.

If anything even with the infinite typewriter in RE4 I felt farrrr more tense, and definitely more scared, I legit jumped several times in RE4. RE0 has done nothing to generate any type of fear in me.

Yes it sucks and I guess you could say I was nervous but when I died it just made me want to stop playing.

Smasandian
Doesn't most typerwriters have an item box right beside them were you can just put the ink ribbons there anyways.

I just ink ribbons an unnecessary item where negatives far outweigh any positives.

Alien Isolation save system is by far way more intense than anything RE has ever done and it doesn't use a save item.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
Doesn't most typerwriters have an item box right beside them were you can just put the ink ribbons there anyways.

I just ink ribbons an unnecessary item where negatives far outweigh any positives.

Alien Isolation save system is by far way more intense than anything RE has ever done and it doesn't use a save item. They didn't have an item box in RE0, which was one of the biggest complaints for the game.

Smasandian
Yes, that's right. I didn't like RE0. I played the first game HD remake remastered remastered legendary edition and still enjoyed it...even with the flaws.

I started 0 and turned it off soon after. I did not like it.

Jmanghan
Yes, that's right. I didn't like RE0. I played the first game HD remake remastered remastered legendary edition and still enjoyed it...even with the flaws.

I started 0 and turned it off soon after. I did not like it. That sucks because Rebecca is a prominent character in later games and Billy seems pretty likable and the original bad-ass canon-wise, guess I'll just watch a playthrough.

StyleTime
It didn't make me tense though, it just made me angry when I died.

If anything even with the infinite typewriter in RE4 I felt farrrr more tense, and definitely more scared, I legit jumped several times in RE4. RE0 has done nothing to generate any type of fear in me.

Yes it sucks and I guess you could say I was nervous but when I died it just made me want to stop playing.
I gotta call shenanigans a bit here though. You blew threw all your ink ribbons at once, for no particular reason I might add, and are blaming the game for it. That doesn't make it a bad mechanic. You knew exactly how many ink ribbons you had, and you chose to gamble by using all of them. The games give you enough that you should have some left over tbh.

I'm using tension in the more general sense, although I'd question how far you are into the game if RE4 scared you. It's intended to cause stress moreso than outright fear. It's the survival aspect of survival. You have to weigh the cost of using extra ink ribbons against trying to explore more without saving. We've lost that a bit in the modern era of RE, so newcomers are unprepared when going back to play older entries.

Granted, ink ribbons or their equivalent are present on higher difficulty modes for some modern RE titles.

Jmanghan
I gotta call shenanigans a bit here though. You blew threw all your ink ribbons at once, for no particular reason I might add, and are blaming the game for it. That doesn't make it a bad mechanic. You knew exactly how many ink ribbons you had, and you chose to gamble by using all of them.

I'm using tension in the more general sense though. It's intended to cause stress moreso than outright fear. It's the survival aspect of survival. You have to weigh the cost of using extra ink ribbons against trying to explore more without saving. We've lost that a bit in the modern era of RE, so newcomers are unprepared when going back to play older entries.

Granted, ink ribbons or their equivalent are present on higher difficulty modes for some modern RE titles. I used them accidentally after coming off a newer game, yes, and then I got severely punished for it and lost like 30-40 minutes of progress.

Kazenji
So you're blaming the game for your own screw up basically.

Adam Grimes
Jman ranking high on the spectrum is hardly the game's fault.

Jmanghan
So you're blaming the game for your own screw up basically. I'm blaming the RE games for using Ink Ribbons, Silent Hill games are way scarier and they never did any of that BS.

RE is one of the only survival horror games that use limited saves.

When they were in KC: D everybody complained about the limited saving like it was the end of the world, but when someone complains about something similar in a game like this it's automatically invalid.

Why would a game want to purposefully piss me off? Dark Souls didn't piss me off as bad when I lost to Ornstein and Smough 20+ times as I did dying after having no more ink ribbons in RE0.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Jman ranking high on the spectrum is hardly the game's fault. "The ink ribbons suck."

"Yeah well you're autistic." Way to dial it up to 11 dude.

Adam Grimes
Go big or go home *****

StyleTime
I used them accidentally after coming off a newer game, yes, and then I got severely punished for it and lost like 30-40 minutes of progress.
I guess I'm not seeing how you could accidentally do that tbh. The game is pretty clear on what the ink ribbons do. It's totally fine if you dislike the ink ribbons, but it really sounds like you're more frustrated with yourself here.
I'm blaming the RE games for using Ink Ribbons, Silent Hill games are way scarier and they never did any of that BS.

RE is one of the only survival horror games that use limited saves.

When they were in KC: D everybody complained about the limited saving like it was the end of the world, but when someone complains about something similar in a game like this it's automatically invalid.

Why would a game want to purposefully piss me off? Dark Souls didn't piss me off as bad when I lost to Ornstein and Smough 20+ times as I did dying after having no more ink ribbons in RE0.
I love multiple horror series, but Resident Evil was always more willing to experiment than most others. Ink ribbons were a part of that. ​We could debate their usefulness for the current RE landscape, but it was interesting in its day.

It's like I said before: you're stuck on the fear thing. The "survival" portion of survival horror comes with punishing you for being wasteful. It's not necessarily about scaring you, although it can help support feelings of fear.

cdtm

It was part of their approach to building tension. There was a sacrifice for basically everything you do. You had to manage resources or else you'd wind up with no ribbons left.

Never been a problem for me in 2, never even thought about having enough.

Most frustrating thing was the rank system, pre internet and having no real way to know why I kept getting B's all the time.

BackFire
I never got far in Zero because of the odd inventory system.

StyleTime

Alien Isolation save system is by far way more intense than anything RE has ever done and it doesn't use a save item.
Alien Isolation came over a decade later though, and had the advantage of looking to pioneers of the genre for ways to innovate. It basically mixes Resident Evil and Fatal Frame a bit, and modernizes it. I can't think of any better systems in their day though tbh.

That said, Isolation was only scarier when trying to save while enemies were close. The thought of never being able to save again if you blew your supplies was far more unsettling to me, granted there were usually enough that that wasn't really going to happen. When running for your unlocks for example, it's pretty sweat-inducing when you realize you can only save 3 times in RE2.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Jman ranking high on the spectrum is hardly the game's fault.

laughing out loud

StyleTime
Originally posted by cdtm
Never been a problem for me in 2, never even thought about having enough.

Most frustrating thing was the rank system, pre internet and having no real way to know why I kept getting B's all the time.
Yeah, they usually give you enough. I just don't get why he blew threw all of them at once. Honestly, I think there's still a place for some modernized version of ink ribbons.

The standard practice these days is just to default to auto-saves, but I'd be interested in horror titles trying out some more risk-based saving systems. Kinda like Dark Souls and Dead Cells bringing the Roguelike save system into the modern world.

Alien Isolation was an interesting one, but that was in 2014.
Originally posted by BackFire
I never got far in Zero because of the odd inventory system.
I've heard others say that, and I totally get how the inventory system is off putting for some. Item boxes were removed too, so it was probably jarring to people coming from the other titles. thumb up

I'm an RE fanboy though, so I guess it didn't bother me much. I had a blast with RE0.

StyleTime
Anyway, I'd recommend checking out the titles after RE4 Jmanghan. You won't have to worry about ink ribbons, even in REmake 2 and 3.

They are present in REmake 1 though.

They are tons of RE fans who only play for lore though, and just drop the difficulty down to casual/easy. Nothing wrong with that, and it gives you more ink ribbons to work with. It'd actually give unlimited ink ribbons in 3(original one). You could try that if you want to play the older ones.

Jmanghan
I'm sorry for pissing people off, I realize it's designed to induce more fear, tension, and stress, but it honestly only made me angry and made me not want to continue.

For reference in KC: D I also used the unlimited saves mod so I guess limited saves just aren't my thing.

I adored RE:4 but so far my time with RE0 (even besides the saving) has been kind of lackluster in comparison.

Jmanghan
However, I guess I would say using all my saves up is on me, but as someone who likes to play horror games cautiously as ****, I like to save after every teeny tiny action. It is annoying to go from silent hill where you were rewarded for doing so, to something like RE0 where it punishes you.

cdtm
I save all the time in Fallout 3.

But that's only insurance against all the bugs and crashes. Imagine Bethesda games with RE0-2 style save systems.

StyleTime
I'm sorry for pissing people off, I realize it's designed to induce more fear, tension, and stress, but it honestly only made me angry and made me not want to continue.

For reference in KC: D I also used the unlimited saves mod so I guess limited saves just aren't my thing.

I adored RE:4 but so far my time with RE0 (even besides the saving) has been kind of lackluster in comparison.
I'm not pissed off. I'm happy you're joining the RE world, that's why I'm suggesting you try out the entries with no ink ribbons. Or adjust the difficulty setting so that you get more ribbons.

I just disagreed that it was a bad mechanic in its day. A producer said they couldn't figure out how to implement them in 5, and I'm fine with the idea it doesn't fit thematically with modern RE titles. Maybe them using Tapes/Ribbons only on harder difficulty settings in games like RE7 and RE2make is the right call. Same way RE8 Standard felt way too forgiving for my tastes, so I switched to Hardcore. I think they just settled on satisfying different tastes through the various difficulty settings.
However, I guess I would say using all my saves up is on me, but as someone who likes to play horror games cautiously as ****, I like to save after every teeny tiny action. It is annoying to go from silent hill where you were rewarded for doing so, to something like RE0 where it punishes you.
I save a lot in most games tbh, but I also like it when I'm limited. It forces me to be more careful tbh.

I love Silent Hill as well, but it's going for a different experience. The difficulty isn't necessarily baked into the gameplay like with RE. You can stroll past the majority of enemies wandering around Silent Hill streets. While avoidance is a strategy in RE, as with most survival horror titles, things like combat and inventory management are leaned on more heavily to build discomfort. Silent Hill usually has infinite inventory space, on the other hand.

I just don't know if ink ribbons would make much of a difference in Silent Hill tbh. You're not at risk of dying outside of certain encounters, so you don't need to save that often anyway. And you wouldn't even sacrifice item slots Silent Hill usually has infinite space as I said before.

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
I save all the time in Fallout 3.

But that's only insurance against all the bugs and crashes. Imagine Bethesda games with RE0-2 style save systems.

Fallout and Resident Evil are two different style games, Apples & Oranges basically.

Arachnid1
Fallout and Resident Evil are two different style games, Apples & Oranges basically. Yep. Completely different genres that benefit from completely different gameplay mechanics. Kind of a senseless comparison.

Limited saves in horror enhance the experience. I wish every RE game had ink ribbons as an option. RE7, 3, and 8 all having unlimited saves annoyed the hell out of me.

Ridley_Prime
Inferno difficulty on RE3 (2020) had limited saves; one of the only redeeming features of it as a horror/tension experience, but with how short game was anyway, should have been a thing for all the difficulties.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.