Metroid Dread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
4tYzveufd9Q

StyleTime
I was thinking about posting this.

Glad we finally get to continue the story after Fusion. We've gotten the remakes out of the way, and they were great, along with the Prime sub-series and Other M, but now it's time to see what Samus is up to currently. thumb up

Jmanghan
Probably gonna get it. Samus Returns was very fun but a bit repetitive IMO, hoping this game has a lot of unique and diverse bosses.

Ridley_Prime
I mean as a remake, Samus Returns was all about enemy familiarity but with new spins; the original game it was based on was also repetitive, so some redundancy couldnt be helped.

This game however doesnt seem to have any recognizable enemies from previous games whatsoever. Am liking all the new enemy designs which is a nice change of pace after the game prior, Ridley or no Ridley.

Glad that Metroid Prime 4 is still coming too which they reassured, but have been over it since have been getting nothing from it after a few years. What a mess, a mistimed reveal. It makes Dread that much more appreciated.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I mean as a remake, Samus Returns was all about enemy familiarity but with new spins; the original game it was based on was also repetitive, so some redundancy couldnt be helped.

This game however doesnt seem to have any recognizable enemies from previous games whatsoever. Am liking all the new enemy designs which is a nice change of pace after the game prior, Ridley or no Ridley.

Glad that Metroid Prime 4 is still coming too which they reassured, but have been over it since have been getting nothing from it after a few years. What a mess, a mistimed reveal. It makes Dread that much more appreciated. I mean Metroid Prime 4 also scrapped a complete year of development time and gave it back to Retro Studios, but still even then it's been awhile since we've seen shit for that, and also Bayonetta 3.

Ridley_Prime
True. The pandemic no doubt slowed down the development of all things being worked on too, but doesn't help that Nintendo forces Retro to be radio silent with MP4 or anything they work on, even though they're letting MercurySteam be open about Dread's history here... Hopefully we should similarly get some transparency for Prime 4 by 11th hour, but all the quietness can get annoying with how long it's been. Same with Bayonetta 3.

Kazenji
The robot at the start that chases Samus from the trailer, Reminded me of Dog from Half-Life 2.

Arachnid1
Dude, I can't wait for this. Love Metroid, and it's been so long

ares834
This was the obvious highlight of E3. There were rumors for Dread like 15 years ago. Amazing that it is actually coming out.

Klaw
I'm watching the Treehouse, and it looks good.

Can't wait to get it.

Still want Prime 4 as well.

cdtm
Originally posted by Nemesis X
4tYzveufd9Q

Looks like a cheap indie game wtf laughing out loud

Klaw
cdtm is just a Nintendo hater.

Blakemore

cdtm
That would be funny. laughing out loud

Blakemore
Another theory I have is a spaceship battle, but that would make more sense with Prime 4

Klaw
Glad to see you love Metroid too Blake.

I loved Fusion on the GBA.

StyleTime

Blakemore
Originally posted by Klaw
Glad to see you love Metroid too Blake.

I loved Fusion on the GBA. I started with the prime series. 1 seemed like an epic adventure, 2 was a quest and at times, hard as **** and 3 felt like an epic intergalactic mission. I remember replaying it at university with the wii-mote and nunchuck ripping off shield with the lasso, zip lining in sky town whilst shooting things. I felt like a ****ing badass!

Blakemore

Klaw
Metroid games are just great overall.

I prefer them to Zelda games.

Blakemore
Me too. Imagine if it introduces time travel?

It looks like a race to escape the federation though.

cdtm
Originally posted by Blakemore
Me too. Imagine if it introduces time travel?

It looks like a race to escape the federation though.

I seriously hope not, stupid ideas like time travel and alternate realities is ALWAYS a sign a series has jumped the shark and is out of ideas. I should know, I'm a transformers fan and Simon Furman thought it was a good idea having his swan song of the original Marvel series in Regeneration One to use an alternate universe Matrix of Leadership to vault Hot Rod into Rodimus Prime. Which is just STUPID!

It's like having a major Marvel event depend on a What If.

cdtm
Originally posted by StyleTime
I was thinking about posting this.

Glad we finally get to continue the story after Fusion. We've gotten the remakes out of the way, and they were great, along with the Prime sub-series and Other M, but now it's time to see what Samus is up to currently. thumb up

Prime is the successor, it became so much more than the classic side scrollers.

ares834
Metroid isn't exactly know for it's super engrossing story. Nothing wrong with time travel as long as they use it as an interesting mechanic in-game.

Blakemore

cdtm

Smasandian
Don't tell that to the Zelda lore crowd......

Blakemore

Ridley_Prime
We got Kraid back, so why not other boss fanservice? That seems to be the direction this game is going anyway; a mix of old and new, which is always preferable to "in with the new, out with the old".

Blakemore

StyleTime
I've got the game pre-downloaded.

Pretty pumped.

Blakemore

StyleTime
I actually bought my Switch on a whim during the pandemic. I was in the store and happened to see they had like 4 in stock, so I grabbed it. I'd been thinking about ordering one online, but COVID jacked the prices up. I wasn't expecting to spend 300$ that day, but I figured I'd better take advantage of the situation since they were selling out super fast. I didn't want to give some jackass on Amazon 500-600$ for one either.

I'm not sure what the situation is now. I hear they're still somewhat harder to find, although easier than before.

ares834
Beat the game earlier. It's a lot of fun. A huge improvement over Samus Returns.

Ridley_Prime
I did like Returns' aeion abilities better though like the beam burst, though makes sense for the ones in Dread to be based completely on stealth.

Got to the final boss earlier, though just taking my team with the collectibles first. It's quite a ride, definitely one of the best games in the series overall. I wouldn't call it #1 like others are, but within my top 5 for sure, and certainly my game of the year.

ares834
Flash shift is way better and more fun than any of the abilities in Return IMO. Plus the way Aeion recharges in Dread ensures you can use it very liberally.

Jmanghan
I wanna ask ya'll if you think the game is worth full price or if I should wait for a price drop.

ares834
Price drop? For a Nintendo Game? You're going to be waiting a long time.

StyleTime
I'm still playing through it, but I am having a blast. Just got to Ghavoran after the exposition drop.

And I love Samus speaking Chozo.

Nice little lore reference, as Samus should absolutely be fluent in that language.

Or at least a dialect of it. It sometimes seems like there may be multiple Chozo languages.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I wanna ask ya'll if you think the game is worth full price or if I should wait for a price drop.
Depends. Do you like Metroid games? If yes, then you'll likely enjoy this one. It's really well done.

Although, yeah, I don't recommend waiting on a price drop if you want to get it. 1st party Nintendo games are often full price for the entire duration of their console generation(or longer). Sometimes they go on sale for 10$ off I guess, but you might be waiting for ages.

Blakemore

Adam Grimes
Pirate your switch, Jman.

Ridley_Prime
Metroid is the one Nintendo series that needs all the sales it can get. Dont pirate plz if it can be helped.

Dread seems to be doing well so far thankfully despite the few vocal piraters.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Blakemore
My idea is she turns into a Metroid putting an amazing twist on the saga.

I just beat the game, and this comment became 100% more amazing.

StyleTime
There's been a few complaints about the difficulty of the game.

I enjoyed it personally, although I'm definitely not replaying on Hard anything. Giving the the Chozo Soldiers more damage and health sounds unfun.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Pirate your switch, Jman. I have Assassin's Creed IV for it already.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by StyleTime
There's been a few complaints about the difficulty of the game.

I enjoyed it personally, although I'm definitely not replaying on Hard anything. Giving the the Chozo Soldiers more damage and health sounds unfun.
Guessing most of the complaints comes from the EMMI. Honestly speaking, I found them more annoying than I did scary or dreadful. Not to say they were badly designed; every death by them was my fault, but once I learned the areas enough to cloak effectively or outrun them, could just power on through. Even when you get the Omega Cannon they're still annoying though, because you gotta make sure you're at a specific spot where you have enough time and range to melt off their face armor. Just being unable to move while aiming gives flashbacks of how Other M handled missiles... That said, all the checkpoints from where you die in this game are more than forgivable enough.

I just finished hard mode earlier. The main difference I found was just having to respect the boss's attacks more and being less greedy far as standing there shooting missiles (the mini bosses like the Chozo soldiers were about the same for me far as difficulty). You still find plenty times to do so in between avoiding them though. Upon a replay, was also surprised at how much better I was at parrying their attacks, some bosses of which I did not get to do with during my first playthrough. Whether it's hard mode or just speedrunning on normal, I think you'll find the game gets better upon a replay, since you know it more by then and will shave off at least least a few hours compared to your initial playthrough.

StyleTime
Yeah, I think some people are more used to being a ball of stats, where you can smash enemies simply by reaching that late game power spike. It's fine to prefer that style, and I even enjoy it in certain games too but...

Metroid Dread isn't quite like that. Gathering more energy tanks will certainly help, and I did that for the final boss since I kept getting dunked on, but you will still have to fight in a defensively sound manner. It allows you a couple more mistakes, but you can't just roll over enemies.

Blakemore
I wonder if they'll release a bundle.

Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid: Return of Samus
Super Metroid
Metroid: Fusion
Metroid: Dread

cdtm
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Pirate your switch, Jman.

Isn't pirating a game console called shop lifting? smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.