Dead Island vs Dead Island Riptide

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eThneoLgrRnae
Which zombie survival game did you like better between the two of them and why?

Jmanghan
Dead Island is better, it had way more personality, the setting was better, there weren't dumb-ass base defense sections, it had better easter eggs (Jason Voorhees), and I wasn't happy with some of the removed upgrades from Riptide.

I even enjoyed the Ryder campaign, however short it was. Also c'mon, the opening of Dead Island is Iconic:
XxWEPbIfSs0

Riptide does have the more interesting zombie types, but that doesn't mean I can look over all of Riptide's flaws.

eThneoLgrRnae
Interesting. I disagree with some of what you said though.

I like the setting just as much in Riptide as the one in the original game. Also, the ability to drive boats was very cool.

Personality? What, you mean of the characters or what? You had the same four original characters that you had in the first game plus a new guy you could use, and could even import your levelled-up character from DI over to Riptide (which I did with Purna in my only playthru of Riptide so far which I haven't quite finished yet).

I absolutely loved the base defense missions. Plenty of gory combat and quite challenging too.

Riptide also added a lot of new stuff as well. Besides the boat thing, I love the new ability to target enemies from elevated positions and kill them by jumping on them, for one. I also like how Riptide did away with the handling stat and instead just incorporated it into the DPS stat of weapons.

The Dead Zone missions were something else the first game didn't have and those are really fun as well. Seems like there are also more collectibles in Riptide.

As you mentioned there are also several new zombie types in Riptide; some of them are a pain in the butt fighting when other zombies are around.... like the screamer, for instance. Anytime I catch a glimpse of those I always sneak away and try to snipe it from a distance with a sniper rifle . Did the first game even have sniper rifles? I don't remember it having them (and I've played thru it twice) or stun guns, or harpoon rifles, or stun bombs/stun grenades, or sonic grenades/mines (those are probably my favorite), or poison mines/grenades, etc.... ?

They've also added some new weapon mod blueprints as well in Riptide.

One thing that would really piss me off in the first game is how modded and rare/unique/ledgendary items would sometimes just mysteriously disappear from my inventory. It'd usually happen after I'd pay tons of money to upgrade a weapon and then attach a cool mod to it. I'd make the item and then after leaving the work bench my hand would appear to be holding an invisible weapon. I'd go in inventory to check and the item I just made wasn't there. I have never experienced this major glitch in Riptide yet.

Yeah, the opening scene of Dead Island was awesome and I'll never forget it. Agree with you there but I don't think that's a good enough reason to choose DI over DIR, but that's just my opinion.

eThneoLgrRnae
Why didn't you vote on poll, Jmanghan?

eThneoLgrRnae
I just think Riptide improved on Dead Island in so many ways. The first game had more "flaws" as you put it, imo. Though I still liked it.

The way it stands right now I'm leaning towards Riptide but I'll hold off on my vote till after I finish my current and so far only playthru of it.

cdtm
A lot of reviews complain Riptide has less variety in areas. Just a flooded jungle and one other area..

eThneoLgrRnae
Those reviews are shit. The "flooded jungle" has a beach area as well though it is not as large as the beach in Dead Island. Even other parts of the "flooded jungle" have large areas that are not actually flooded.

There is also a large tunnel area you have to travel thru (on foot) in order to reach the city of Henderson which is also where the military base is located and the Old Cinema theater.

eThneoLgrRnae
And like I said. Riptide has actual boats that you can traverse the swamps or whatever in. First game had only cars/trucks. People can downplay that if they like but that is one of my favorite things about Riptide that DI didn't have.

eThneoLgrRnae
I usually find that user reviews of games are far more spot on of how I feel about a game than critic reviews are. Same thing goes for movies/films.

cdtm
Mostly heard those complaints from Reddit users, who I think were only parrotiing critics.

They used to say traffic checking made Burnout Revenge easier then 3 too, and that turned out to be a total load (The tracks in general are way more complex and difficult to navigate, and the ability to slam cars half a mile ahead from behind makes you complacent for the f'n big rigs they trap you with and can't budge)

eThneoLgrRnae
I'm pretty much finished now with my so far only playthru of Riptide.

Defeated final boss last night and then went back and picked up all the collectibles I was missing for the "Hoarder" silver trophy. Still need to do a few quests in order to get the gold trophy "Achiever" before I activate the final cutscene and end the game but I think I can go ahead and vote now.

Doubt the final cutscene is gonna make me change my mind about which game I prefer. As much as I like Dead Island I have to give my vote to Riptide for mostly the reasons I've already mentioned above.

Riptide basically has everything the first game has but with a bunch of new stuff. Yes, I wish the beach area would've been much bigger and it is a little annoying not being able to enter a vehicle from the left side and then move over to driver's seat as you could do in DI but those are pretty minor flaws, imo.

jaden_2.0
Really enjoyed the first one. Can't believe it's been over a decade since it came out. Haven't played Riptide and probably won't but really looking forward to the new one.

They're actually one of the few first person games I can play and enjoy. (The others are the Far Cry games)Usually Can't stand first person games.

eThneoLgrRnae
I actually tend to favor 1st person over 3rd person. Though I like it best when the game lets you switch back and forth at will. Like in Fallout games and Skyrim, for example. In combat I usually always stick to 1st person because 3rd person is too clunky, imo.

But I love looking at my character when he's walking around towns. 3rd person view is also better for peeking around corners.

You should really play Riptide though... it is a nice continuation of the story in first game. I just finished playing it for the first time yesterday. Imported my Purna character over from DI.

cdtm
Depemds on the game. First person is more immersive in my opinion. And generally easier to maneuver, but that also depends on the game.

Like Burnout, using a first person view actually makes it much harder to judge distances and avoid obstacles. In that case the third person view gives you a way judge when you want to skim paint on another car without crashing into it.

Adam Grimes
Both are garbage

eThneoLgrRnae
Using a bow in 3rd person in Skyrim sucks. It's why I rarely try using one when I'm on a horse.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
I actually tend to favor 1st person over 3rd person. Though I like it best when the game lets you switch back and forth at will. Like in Fallout games and Skyrim, for example. In combat I usually always stick to 1st person because 3rd person is too clunky, imo.

But I love looking at my character when he's walking around towns. 3rd person view is also better for peeking around corners.

You should really play Riptide though... it is a nice continuation of the story in first game. I just finished playing it for the first time yesterday. Imported my Purna character over from DI.

I'll see if I can pick it cheap. Been meaning to fire up my old 360 anyway.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Both are garbage L4D is garbage, Dead Island is wayyy funner.

eThneoLgrRnae
Both are garbage

Vote please.

There is a "both games suck" option on the poll.

You hated the combat? Story, perhaps?

Personally, I loved the combat. I also loved the weapon crafting options. Story was decent enough too, imo. Graphics were average I guess for that time period.

Overall I really liked the game. Still liked Riptide better though.

cdtm
Both are garbage

But not as garbage as Doom Eternal amiright?

cdtm
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Really enjoyed the first one. Can't believe it's been over a decade since it came out. Haven't played Riptide and probably won't but really looking forward to the new one.

They're actually one of the few first person games I can play and enjoy. (The others are the Far Cry games)Usually Can't stand first person games.

If you mean first person shooters, I feel the same.

If you're talking about perspective, the game changes a lot.

Take Assassins Creed games and Mirror's Edge. Both have parkour, but Mirror's Edge was so well received partly because parkour had never been done from a first person perspective. Or at least not so well.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by cdtm
If you mean first person shooters, I feel the same.

If you're talking about perspective, the game changes a lot.

Take Assassins Creed games and Mirror's Edge. Both have parkour, but Mirror's Edge was so well received partly because parkour had never been done from a first person perspective. Or at least not so well.

Pretty much. I've always just preferred the look and controls of 3rd person games. I'd rather have a Witcher III, Red Dead 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Assassin's Creed, The Last of Us than I would most FPS games. I tried games which get great reviews like Alien Isolation but can never stick them out. Part of it might be because games like GTA V and RDR2 were not great in their FP modes.

There are exceptions. I'd rather Far Cry 4 over Uncharted 4 for example.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
I'll see if I can pick it cheap. Been meaning to fire up my old 360 anyway.

You found one in your price range yet?

jaden_2.0
Currently playing Cyberpunk so once I'm done I'll pick up a copy as I've nothing else on my list. Looking forward to it. 👍

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.