Why So Many Mainstream Movies are a Mess

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
A video that the YouTube algorithm recommended to me. This guy has some good points....

12f0ligwS5s

His main point being that in the good 'ol days movies just had one box to check off: 'fun'. But now there are so many other boxes that studio interference is requiring and it's making movies a mess. Too many cooks in the kitchen, I guess is the cliche. He's absolutely right about the Justice League situation. That's the most glaring example. He also mentions the New Star Wars.

jaden_2.0
I like that guy. He reminds me of someone...

Patient_Leech
^ I've actually never even heard of him. But I'll probably look him up a bit more...

Red Letter Media talks a lot about how refreshing it is when, for better or for worse, a studio just lets a person make a movie, present their vision without half a dozen other people sticking their fingers in the pie.

Alien 3 is a famous example of studio interference butchering the final product. It was apparently so frustrating that David Fincher wanted nothing to do with it anymore.

And these days it's also common for scripts to go through 3 or 4 or 5 or more re-writes with different writers and then by the end of it it's a jumbled mess. I know that happened with Alien Covenant and it shows.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
^ I've actually never even heard of him. But I'll probably look him up a bit more...

Red Letter Media talks a lot about how refreshing it is when, for better or for worse, a studio just lets a person make a movie, present their vision without half a dozen other people sticking their fingers in the pie.

Alien 3 is a famous example of studio interference butchering the final product. It was apparently so frustrating that David Fincher wanted nothing to do with it anymore.

And these days it's also common for scripts to go through 3 or 4 or 5 or more re-writes with different writers and then by the end of it it's a jumbled mess. I know that happened with Alien Covenant and it shows.

Yeah I agree with that. In many cases it's very apparent when studios butt in to the detriment of the final product. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 seemed to suffer from it. WW84 also. They very much seem to do it when a first movie has been unexpectedly successful. It looks very much like it happened with New Mutants because the first two acts of that film were amazing and was ruined by the third act. 10 Cloverfield Lane was fantastic up until the utterly retarded, tacked-on ending to try and associate it with a previously successful movie.

On the flip side it can work in a movie's favour but very rarely. Tony Kaye famously hates the final version of American History X but I don't think his original vision of it would've been as good as the theatrical release. Would still be interesting to see it though.

Ridley_Prime
"Your job is to entertain me, not lecture me."

"Just write a great character - not try to shoehorn in a type."

"The marketing for these movies are so good, that the products don't live up to the marketing."

thumb up He's spitting too many facts.

John Murdoch
Funny Leech, I watched this over the weekend, the 2 or 3 interviews I saw with Chris are great.

BruceSkywalker
every last one of them

riv6672

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.