Gordon Ramsay Pegao Backlash

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan

Smasandian
As a former chef, I think all of this bullshit.

You see the same thing with Italian food...oh its not that...its not made with that...

Yet....everybody seems to forget that dishes/food culture....is a product of an evolved society and changes are made. California Rolls are from Japan....its either from California or Vancouver...but 100 years from now...if we are still alive....it would be part of the sushi lexicon and be treated as an authentic sushi.

Obviously, he just made the wrong dish..but who gives a ****. He is a trained French chef making a Puerto Rican dish and got it wrong. It happens.....Most likely the producer or expert got it wrong in the first place because I have seen other videos where he made an authentic dish correctly.

gold slorg
i hate 2021

imagine living in an era of people going butthurt over a chef messing up a dish lol

Smasandian
Italians have been doing it for years.....

"That's not carbonera...it has a bit of cream in it"

SquallX

gold slorg
Originally posted by Smasandian
Italians have been doing it for years.....

"That's not carbonera...it has a bit of cream in it"

yeah but you didn't see articles on the internet about that happening like it's serious business

i'm a food nazi myself, but come on

Smasandian
So what?

I believe there is probably thousands of Youtube videos about it. I remember watching a channel that makes Italian from non-Italian cookbooks and then makes fun of it because their wife is from the area where the dish.

This is only a thing because it has the most famous chef doing it.

cdtm
This is nothing compared to the attempted lynchings from the MSM in the early 2k's. Everyone ganging up on him and calling him a terrible boss and little hitler and such. And yet all his employees moved with him when he moved, so how bad could he really have been?

Blakemore

snowdragon
It's not a big deal, he isn't in the bizz of making the most authentic Pegao on the island, he's in the business of having ppl pay alot of money for his food.

Besides most chefs alter or make slight or huge variations on popular cuisines to "brand" it to their establishment.

Seems to me some folks needed more rage clickthroughs for views on ads.

Just as aside though if you do like crispy rice Sinangag is Filipino garlic fried rice thats crispy and easy to make:P

Jmanghan
I think people are also offended that he wanted to make the dish "better". As he put it, he wanted to "elevate" it. Basically people being offended by him saying "I can do it better then you". In itself this wouldn't much, but when you factor in that everybody is saying he also did the dish "wrong", or that it isn't even really a dish, it makes it a bigger deal to them.

Or hell, maybe it's a racial thing, tbh I really don't think the backlash would be as heavy if he was Hispanic, and even less so if he was Puerto Rican himself.

But yeah this whole thing was blown way out of proportion, I doubt he'll respond to it, and it'll blow over eventually. I like finding these as they're a nice change of pace from the political topics.

Robtard
This is stupid, it's just a recipe and those change all the time. Ramsey shouldn't even respond.

Reminds of when Rightist threw a complete hissy fit because Elizabeth Warren had written some cookbook on Native American family recipes to cash in.

Smasandian
The idea of making a dish better is a complete crock of shit....food evolves like other parts of society. The whole Asian fusion aspect was brought on by a Japanese chef living in Amerca. The reason is because the lack of authentic ingredients (unlike today).

And...vice versa....American dishes(aka bastardized versions of French, Mexican and other cultures) can be elevated by the ability to gain other culture food items. For instance, the typical Chicken Finger can be improved by using Japanese breadcrumbs.

Though...I do agree that it can be a bit much when a chef says they are taking a national dish (or well know authentic dish) and elevating.....its also a bit condescending to suggest it can be elevated.

But it's just some misguided wordplay and the producers should of done a better job writing the copy for it.

Chefs constantly re-image dishes and nobody has an issue with it. For instance, look at Thomas Keller...consistenly re-imaging dishes...and that's OK.

But Jmanghan does have a point....or the people complaining have a point.....if Ramsey is saying "I can do it better" than that pretty ****ing offensive.....if he said "hi, I'm reimaging a classic dish...boom, there it is" that's not offensive at all...and could be a sign of respect.

Blakemore

Smasandian
Yeah for sure...he 100% goofed.

From what I seen...most people love when great chefs make their culture food dishes with respect. I think food is one of the only things in this world that all cultures can relate too..and be proud of.

And its because food is awesome and great food tastes good no matter who you are. And there is fantastic history behind it...and people love to give the history when asked....just watch any of the Anthony Bourdain's TV shows. Even the nasty shit that cultures have.....there is a reason why this is the case.

So when a great chef makes an authentic dish....it brings out pride.

Blakemore

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
Yeah for sure...he 100% goofed.

From what I seen...most people love when great chefs make their culture food dishes with respect. I think food is one of the only things in this world that all cultures can relate too..and be proud of.

And its because food is awesome and great food tastes good no matter who you are. And there is fantastic history behind it...and people love to give the history when asked....just watch any of the Anthony Bourdain's TV shows. Even the nasty shit that cultures have.....there is a reason why this is the case.

So when a great chef makes an authentic dish....it brings out pride. People also have different taste buds as well.

Smasandian
True.

I'm not sure what science says but we all have the same taste receptors but our experience with different foods based on our culture....probably affects how would like things differently.

I ****ing hate tea.....but people love it....my mom used to drink it everyday because she grew up in the UK.

Blakemore
It goes further than that! I like custard, but an old school friend of mine hated it.

jaden_2.0
8rq8zwNsiSY

Adam_PoE
The only thing I care about Gordon Ramsay is that he is hot.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.