NPR: Cops Say Low Morale And Department Scrutiny Are Driving Them Away From The Job

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/24/1009578809/cops-say-low-morale-and-department-scrutiny-are-driving-them-away-from-the-job

However you want to look at why they're leaving, its not a good thing that they are.

dynamix
accountability is too much for them, i guess. and before you attack me, i have 4 relatives on the arm force. 2 brothers and 2 uncles, so im anything but anti-blue

BackFire
Yeah tough shit. Instead of bitching about the people who want them to do a good job they should be going after the cops who are giving them a bad name.

Robtard
If you're leaving the force because you can't handle "accountability", especially in a job where you're armed and are almost always given the benefit of the doubt when firing your weapon, then you shouldn't be a cop in the first place.

Bashar Teg
"bye felicia"

Old Man Whirly!
Truthfully nobody in any job likes accountability. I would think in a job where you have chosen to carry a gun around civilians you would hate it even more.

cdtm
It's a question of staffing shortages.

https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/police-officer-shortage-part-of-8-year-nationwide-trend

From 2013-2016 there was already a shortage of 23,000, with 86% of departments reporting a shortage. The backlash against policemen may exacerbate the matter.

We could argue in either direction all we want, but if there's a shortage, there's a shortage. Idealogy doesn't trump logistics.

Anti-vaxers can have their beliefs and still die of Covid. Defund the policers can lay blame however they want, and still suffer from a backlog to emergency services before no one wants to take the risk of being profiled for every move they make.

Robtard
This will help cut out the people not fit to serve.

Could also help diversify the police as racist might be forced to hire outside their usual comfort zone of "White hetero male".

Really, it's a multi-faceted win for America

Bashar Teg
most people are held accountable at their jobs. why can't they handle that?

Fifjd
Originally posted by Robtard
This will help cut out the people not fit to serve.
Not fit to serve?

RabMtUvwlXY

If Punisher, on top of having better tech, has to rip off the taskmaster to take him out because of the principle of not bowing down before the first basic need is served as a man who doesn't break bro code then that's just sadistic af and not a good example of reasonable policy.

How would you like it if an Alien V wing came and shit on your lawn

cdtm
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
most people are held accountable at their jobs. why can't they handle that?

They are handling it. By not joining.

Fifjd
Everytime I hear the word autism it's like a shotgun blast. They just describe as "dork" or "severe punishment" for being that little shit

Fifjd
"The one who got everything he wanted"

Fifjd
Then how come they haven't given Justin bierber autism yet like they did for me?

Fifjd
Matter of fact two kids named Justin hated me back then

Fifjd
The ****in "but that was when I ruled the world" annoying azz song comes on

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by cdtm
It's a question of staffing shortages.

https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/police-officer-shortage-part-of-8-year-nationwide-trend

From 2013-2016 there was already a shortage of 23,000, with 86% of departments reporting a shortage. The backlash against policemen may exacerbate the matter.

We could argue in either direction all we want, but if there's a shortage, there's a shortage. Idealogy doesn't trump logistics.

Anti-vaxers can have their beliefs and still die of Covid. Defund the policers can lay blame however they want, and still suffer from a backlog to emergency services before no one wants to take the risk of being profiled for every move they make.

Let us presume for the sake of argument that their shortage claims are true.

Police only spend 22% of their time actually responding to crime.

They spend 9% responding to medical emergencies, because 9-1-1 automatically dispatches them to every call.

They spend 32% responding to calls for service, which are to document complaints or accidents for insurance purposes.

And they spend a whopping 37% proactively seeking solutions in search of problems, i.e. looking for reasons to hassle and ticket people.

It seems to me, if police only responded to crimes, we could do without 78% of them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.