Lets talk about defunding the police

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
I want to confirm what is really being said.

As I understand it, we're rephrasing the old argument of punitive measures vs rehabilitative ones.

So instead of busting druggies, we get them off drugs. Instead of sending violent offenders into solitary, we have counseling to control their anger.

Assuming I'm following along so far, here is where you lose me.

What about the point before rehab, and after the offense? What if the guys a drunken loser wife batterer who molests his daughter and sells crack to middle schoolers?

You seriously certain you can even rehabilitate a guy like this? What if he keeps repeating? How many chances does he get? What about the "Joker Scenerio", where Batmans sense of justice causes a LOT of victims? Wouldn't you be causing the same thing because of your sense of justice?

And even forgetting all of that, won't you still need police to deal with Mr. Wife Batterer sicko pervert drug pusher father?

Won't shifting away funds from police to services mean less police to actually deal with the shootings and knifings and fist fights and hit and runs and such?

Old Man Whirly!
Nobody but Klaw and Co care CD. no Your culture wars shut is the past. Real news is what's wanted.

cdtm
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Nobody but Klaw and Co care CD. no Your culture wars shut is the past. Real news is what's wanted.

Oh yeah?

So what about the alt-right gun nuts? Who do you think will come to stop him, rehabilitative services? stick out tongue

Klaw
Originally posted by cdtm
Oh yeah?

So what about the alt-right gun nuts? Who do you think will come to stop him, rehabilitative services? stick out tongue

Social workers. laughing

Nuke Nixon
Instead of defunding the police why not get them more funding and train the new recruits in a 2 or 3 year program that educates them on Law, Conflict Resolution, Non-Lethal Tactics, Psychology and Social Work.

Not forgetting the current batch of maniacs that have to be taken off the streets in waves to be retrained and then given psychiatric clearance to get back to it. Eventually restoring the humanity in the police and getting the trust of the public back.

Meanwhile pouring some coin into the inner cities to head off the crushing poverty that makes so many people turn to crime in the first places, I'm sure we can shave some budget off the Military for that.

Eon Blue
Originally posted by Nuke Nixon
Instead of defunding the police why not get them more funding and train the new recruits in a 2 or 3 year program that educates them on Law, Conflict Resolution, Non-Lethal Tactics, Psychology and Social Work.

Not forgetting the current batch of maniacs that have to be taken off the streets in waves to be retrained and then given psychiatric clearance to get back to it. Eventually restoring the humanity in the police and getting the trust of the public back.

Meanwhile pouring some coin into the inner cities to head off the crushing poverty that makes so many people turn to crime in the first places, I'm sure we can shave some budget off the Military for that.

Bingo! thumb up

Stealth Moose
I want to confirm what is really being said.

As I understand it, we're rephrasing the old argument of punitive measures vs rehabilitative ones.

So instead of busting druggies, we get them off drugs. Instead of sending violent offenders into solitary, we have counseling to control their anger.

Assuming I'm following along so far, here is where you lose me.

What about the point before rehab, and after the offense? What if the guys a drunken loser wife batterer who molests his daughter and sells crack to middle schoolers?

You seriously certain you can even rehabilitate a guy like this? What if he keeps repeating? How many chances does he get? What about the "Joker Scenerio", where Batmans sense of justice causes a LOT of victims? Wouldn't you be causing the same thing because of your sense of justice?

And even forgetting all of that, won't you still need police to deal with Mr. Wife Batterer sicko pervert drug pusher father?

Won't shifting away funds from police to services mean less police to actually deal with the shootings and knifings and fist fights and hit and runs and such?

1. The idea behind defunding the police is that A) police get ridiculous funding right now, mostly towards stuff they don't reasonably need like military grade weapons and armored vehicles and B) these funds should go to supportive services that respond better with their specialized training to certain social crisis situations.

2. An armed cop is not always going to be the better option. Invaluable when they are, but usually out of their depth.

3. More training isn't going to happen, because as it is, cops don't have enough time to train for their primary roles. Most are woefully inadequate at the basic job of non-lethal confrontation and actual law practice.

4. Cop unions are a powerful thing and they prevent bad cops from being busted out entirely or held responsible. They also resist any change they deem uncomfortable or tedious. They also want heavy firepower, because they think loading up is the best way to ensure peace.

5. Cops get motivational speeches from morons who boast a "Warrior's Mindset" and other training that is approved by above mentioned unions and actually makes cops more likely to look at themselves as under fire and about to die than you know, public servants meant to keep the peace.

6. As public servants, they should be held accountable and specialized within their roles, and support roles provided for and funded appropriately. Small town USA cop doesn't need an APC and military grade hardware to deal with Drunken Joe.

cdtm
A retired sargent claims police are in fact trained in descalation, and that he witnessed thousands of them over his career.

The successes are the norms, against rhe sensationalized failure (And professionals all have their failure. Social workers will not save every situation, no one will expect them to.)

Blakemore
You could argue he did it to befriend us cons, or to be cool with the guards, I think he did it to feel normal again.

cdtm
Live PD is coming back.

They admitted to destroying footage with an in custody death. Foolish if you ask me.

Americans are well fed and kept in good health, we are the least likely country to have full blown uprisings, the same as Europe and western societies. Yet our leaders act like we'd burn it all down, as if this is Zimbabwe.

Old Man Whirly!
Live PD is coming back.

They admitted to destroying footage with an in custody death. Foolish if you ask me.

Americans are well fed and kept in good health, we are the least likely country to have full blown uprisings, the same as Europe and western societies. Yet our leaders act like we'd burn it all down, as if this is Zimbabwe. January 6th... not all America is sensible.

Eon Blue

cdtm

Klaw
Leftists don't get banned on KMC, only Right wingers.

cdtm
This is true. The heroes always face an uphill battle against villians like Whirly.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Klaw
Leftists don't get banned on KMC, only Right wingers.

Factually untrue.

cdtm
Broly doesn't count.

cpmt
I'm picturing "Jon Bernthal" the anti-cesspool police lurking behind a computer using oxygen displacement from the area and time when I got in a fight to learn how to fight in the Punisher season 2

cpmt
Let me ask you this, why go out when you have all these people copying you.

cpmt
What y'all need, is the secrets to science, and that is reserved for what you have to offer me.

BoldenBlackey
Tomato tomato instead of trying to satisfy the natural but random and causal-oriented craving they are creating more dangerous and hungry whatever's. Just like prisons aren't about corrections but rather convictions. But they're all about making ones that can resist theyre operant conditioning and creating antagonists for them until there's only one man left alive!

It's the game, and we're better than this.

BoldenBlackey
Come on guys, it's 2021, you can't live falsehoods

BoldenBlackey
We are all in a zoo.

BoldenBlackey
The needs of the many

vkvdAznoFqY

Vs me

MfR3W5lS8gw

I bet a dollar fifty I could design a spaceship that goes that fast

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.