The Northman (2022)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11138512/

"From acclaimed director Robert Eggers, The Northman is an epic revenge thriller that explores how far a Viking prince will go to seek justice for his murdered father."

Release date now set to: April 8th 2022

Might be the film I'm looking forward to the most for 2022. I'm been wanting a proper viking film since Mel Gibon's epic "Berserk" fell through. This looks like it could be it.

A friend of mine was on set for several months doing personal security, he said "Eggers is an insane genius" and that Skargard is a "total beast in this".

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard

"From acclaimed director Robert Eggers, The Northman is an epic revenge thriller that explores how far a Viking prince will go to seek justice for his murdered father."

Might be the film I'm looking forward to the most for 2022. I'm been wanting a proper viking film since Mel Gibon's epic "Berserk" fell through. This looks like it could be it.

A friend of mine was on set for several months doing personal security, he said "Eggers is an insane genius" and that Skargard is a "total beast in this". sounds superb!

riv6672

A friend of mine was on set for several months doing personal security, he said "Eggers is an insane genius" and that Skargard is a "total beast in this".
Sounds good!

Patient_Leech
Fu#k yeah, Willem Dafoe...

Yeah, it's a shame about Mel Gibson's Berserk film not happening. Gibson doing vikings would have been incredible.

riv6672
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Gibson doing vikings would have been incredible.
Yeah it totally would have.

BruceSkywalker
interesting cast

TheVaultDweller
Fuk yeah. I'm always up for a good Viking movie.

Patient_Leech
Robert Eggers seems a talented fella and all, but I would have much rather seen a Mel Gibson take on the subject.

Hey, speaking of Vikings, is that TV show worth watching?

riv6672
Never watched the show. Heard good things from ppl who have.

Robtard
Robert Eggers seems a talented fella and all, but I would have much rather seen a Mel Gibson take on the subject.

Hey, speaking of Vikings, is that TV show worth watching?

If you're into viking lore, it's worth it. It's a mixed bag though, there's good and bad. I think Netflix picked up the franchise and is doing a spinoff series for 2022, maybe Amazon, one of the larger streaming services.

Katheryn Winnick as Lagertha is a huge win. So lovely.

Kazenji
KLUcpBOt8uM

Encmpmentdmrlzd
Originally posted by Kazenji
KLUcpBOt8uM ihz daytt Sarah Richey Kate Butler?

Encmpmentdmrlzd
'a suitable wyyfe'

ares834
Looks amazing.

Khazra Reborn

Robtard
Originally posted by Kazenji
KLUcpBOt8uM

Gave me a rage boner. Can't wait.

Patient_Leech
Whoa, finally got around to watching the trailer for this. Looks pretty fu#king awesome.

I just hope Willem Dafoe doesn't have just a tiny role at the beginning and then he's done. That's what it looks like.

riv6672

Robtard
Whoa, finally got around to watching the trailer for this. Looks pretty fu#king awesome.

I just hope Willem Dafoe doesn't have just a tiny role at the beginning and then he's done. That's what it looks like.

According to leaked bits from early screening, Dafoe's only in two scenes.

But that's more than enough for Dafoe to Dafoe it up.

Robtard
We all also may see a full frontal of Skarsgard's penis in this according to some rumors, for those of you who may be interested in Skarsgard penis.

Patient_Leech
According to leaked bits from early screening, Dafoe's only in two scenes.

But that's more than enough for Dafoe to Dafoe it up.

Sadness. 😩 sad

We all also may see a full frontal of Skarsgard's penis in this according to some rumors, for those of you who may be interested in Skarsgard penis.

You. Apparently. stick out tongue

Patient_Leech
But yeah, this film looks like it has great potential.

Even considering a theater trip for it. 🤔

Robtard
I will definitely see this in the theater.

Robtard
About three weeks away now.

ShadowFyre
Just saw the trailer. Looks awesome.

Who hasn't seen a scarred penis or whatever?

BruceSkywalker
i will watch this soon

safiw
My biggest expectation of the year and as I like the universe of the Vikings and their cultures, it interests me and in addition to realize by our very dear Robert to whom we owe 2 excellent great works.

TweakBox Tutuapp

Patient_Leech
Dis getting some positive reactions...

https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/the-northman-has-screened-check-out-what-people-are-saying-about-alexander-skarsgards-viking-thriller?utm_medium=Social&utm_content=cinemablend&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com

Robtard
My ass is going Friday.

ShadowFyre
When he catches that spear🔥🔥

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Caught just a little bit of a TV ad for this and it looks... phenomenal.

Robtard
MY ass might be going that Thursday instead, if I can get in the early showing.

Patient_Leech
The wife and I are hoping to get out to the theater for this.

Robtard
The low levels of hype over this is most disturbing. Most disturbing indeed.

Maybe if there were more tights and capes.

Patient_Leech
Ja. I'm looking forward to it greatly.

We are probably going to go this weekend. Forgive me if I avoid your thoughts before I see it. Want to try to go in untainted..

Robtard
Ja. I'm looking forward to it greatly.

We are probably going to go this weekend. Forgive me if I avoid your thoughts before I see it. Want to try to go in untainted..

How dare you!!!!!??!?

Patient_Leech
Well, who knows..

I'll still probably peep in to see what you think. Just keep spoilers on the DL.

Robtard
Just messing, man.

Yeah, I try to use spoilers.

jaden_2.0
Away in to see this in 10 minutes.

Patient_Leech
I got tix for Saturday evening. big grin

jaden_2.0
Pros: Has some of the most trippy and awesome cinematography on the big screen. Bjork's small appearance being one of the best moments. The sound design is absolutely astonishing. See it in a screen with the best sound tech as possible. It's exactly what you'd expect from Eggers.

Cons: It's completely style over substance. The story doesn't really go beyond what you see in the trailer with "I will avenge you father..."

The tagline "This generation's Gladiator" is a load of shite. It's nothing like Gladiator.

Patient_Leech
Kind of a Nic Cage Mandy situation, then?

jaden_2.0
Actually yeah. A surprisingly good comparison. Less colourful though.

ShadowFyre
Do you mean colorful in the literal sense? Or some abstract metaphorical way. It's hard to tell on here sometimes.

jaden_2.0
Literal. Some parts of The Northman are so bleak and grey you'd think it was in black and white.

riv6672

Robtard

jaden_2.0
The setting only felt authentic because popular culture has made the vikings seems like something they never were. Shadiversity addressed a lot of the misconceptions about Viking history when Assassin's Creed Valhalla came out. Particularly the rubbish about Scandinavia being a frozen wasteland when it was actually warmer than it is now during the Viking period. That they never wore furs pointed out the way. That the stereotypical view of the berserkers being howling madmen with bear skins over their heads...None of it was historically accurate.

Hopefully he'll do a video on The Northman as well.

Robtard
The **** then, because Eggers hired an expert of ancient Scandinavian and Viking history and lore to supposedly get it as right as possible.

edit: Shadiversity is a Mormon :/

Still wish Mel Gibson hadn't gone off the rails and tanked his "Berserker" project, could have been great like Apocalypto.

riv6672

jaden_2.0
Well he never put horns on the helmets. Thats a +1 score for accuracy at least.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Well he never put horns on the helmets. Thats a +1 score for accuracy at least.

I mentioned that too my wife going in, if you see a horned helmet, then it's ****ed.

carthage
Gonna see this Sunday and I have nothing but high expectations for this

BruceSkywalker
how is anya taylor joy? does alexander skarsgard speak in his natural accent?

Robtard
She does a good role and she's lovely to look at. She's a good actress.

He speaks mostly English with a mild accent and then some Scandinavian/Germanic sounding language that you read with subtitles.

Not sure if it's a current Scandinavian language, Old Norse or some made up language for the film. I think Old Norse though.

riv6672

jaden_2.0
That plane sure gets about

https://little.agency/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/44-Plane-.jpg

Siggyp
NEiasjJ7kbU

Psychotron
Saw it, it was good. I got some Conan the Barbarian (1982) from some parts.

Patient_Leech
Saw this. It was awesome. I give it probably 9/10.

8-9/10 maybe at worst. It was great. thumb up

More thoughts later.

BruceSkywalker
just got done watching

felt it coulda been better

always been a fan of anya's

i'd give this 6/10

Patient_Leech
I got some pretty heavy Darren Aronofsky vibes from it. That's a compliment coming from me, because I've always liked his trippy visuals, like The Fountain, Noah, and Black Swan.

The surround sound and music in the theater was pretty spectacular.

It's a celebration of toxic masculinity!! Haha.. Men unable to help themselves from dying in battle for revenge and leaving their women behind, but of course to be reunited in the thereafter!

Dafoe served a small but vital role. The prop of his decaying decapitated head is probably the coolest movie prop I have ever seen. I'll be making an avatar of that when I get a chance, haha..

I suspected it might be something akin to Cage's Mandy after Jaden mentioned it was small on story/plot, but I found it MUCH more intriguing and thick in plot than Mandy. Pretty sure Mandy had NO progression of plot after the first act or so. This was intriguing all the way through.

I'm glad I didn't get too hyped for this and watch trailers a bunch, because it was a great little revenge adventure to see fresh in the theater.

Highly recommended. thumb up thumb up

ares834
Saw this today. I thought it was pretty good. A bit too long though and with too many rituals.

carthage
movie was a masterpiece and is most likely my film of the year

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by carthage
movie was a masterpiece and is most likely my film of the year

Yeah, peep my new Dafoe avatar. smokin' cool

Old Man Whirly!
7 out of 10 for me.

Robtard
Watched it for a second time last night, actually dropped my view of it. 7.5/10 seems about right. The overuse of the mythological and psychedelic-like scenes were too heavy handed.

eg Did the film really need three separate family tree/Yggdrasil scenes? I don't think so.

Stealth Moose

riv6672

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.