The World changed last week

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Old Man Whirly!
We all missed it!

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/228373/major-nuclear-fusion-milestone-reached-ignition/

Ignition is a key process that amplifies the energy output from nuclear fusion and could provide clean energy and answer some huge physics questions.

A new experiment appears to have triggered ignition for the first time, at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the US, recreating the extreme temperatures and pressures found at the heart of the Sun.

Imperial College London physicists are already helping to analyse the data from the successful experiment, which was conducted on 8 August 2021. Imperial has also produced more than 30 PhD students that have gone on to work at the NIF. The College retains strong links with the facility, and others throughout the world, through the Centre for Inertial Fusion Studies (CIFS).

Robtard
Just have to hope that the energy giants find a way to profit off this relatively clean energy, otherwise it's going to be shelved.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
Just have to hope that the energy giants find a way to profit off this relatively clean energy, otherwise it's going to be shelved. laughing out loud This will be a difficult one to shelve Ethneo. shifty

jaden_2.0
They're still not into net plus energy though.

Radiation doses from fusion are orders of magnitude above anything we've seen.
The inner wall of the reactor at ITER with be subject to 2,000 grays per second. 4 Gy has a 50/30 LDR. (50% chance of dying within 30 days with treatment)That's a fatal dose in 1/500th of a second.

To give some perspective. Fukushima was 1 of only 2 nuclear accidents to reach the highest level of severity on the International Nuclear Events Scale. The other being Chernobyl. Right next to the reactor the dose rate was 1,000 milliseiverts per hour. At ITER it would be 17,000,000,000 mSv/h

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
They're still not into net plus energy though.

Radiation doses from fusion are orders of magnitude above anything we've seen.
The inner wall of the reactor at ITER with be subject to 2,000 grays per second. 4 Gy has a 50/30 LDR. (50% chance of dying within 30 days with treatment)That's a fatal dose in 1/500th of a second.

To give some perspective. Fukushima was 1 of only 2 nuclear accidents to reach the highest level of severity on the International Nuclear Events Scale. The other being Chernobyl. Right next to the reactor the dose rate was 1,000 milliseiverts per hour. At ITER it would be 17,000,000,000 mSv/h All true, but as I understand it, the next step is to let the reaction last longer so the output becomes greater than the laser needed to start it.

eThneoLgrRnae
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

How very boring.

NewGuy01
I actually did see this. It's cool, but as with the various other fusion experiments, I'm not sure how much closer this actually puts us to fusion being viable.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I actually did see this. It's cool, but as with the various other fusion experiments, I'm not sure how much closer this actually puts us to fusion being viable. Truthfully much closer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.