What does representation really represent?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
The Academy of Motion Picture and Sciences recently passed requirements for best picture consideration, to be applied in 2025 or so. It has four categories ranging from casting to production, and all four categories deal with having quotas of underrepresented groups.

After years of snubs and backlashes, I can see why they're doing this. But I got to thinking, how represented is the country by representation?

I mean, let's be honest here, percentages don't tell the whole story. How many blacks are concentrated in major cities, as opposed to suburbs? How many are in rural areas?

The same for asians, or Arabs, or LGBTQ.

Let's use a fake scenario, for arguments sake. If you have 30 percent Green skinned space girls, and all 30 percent are concentrated in one or two major cities, and the Academy pushes for their representation using demographics data, is that really representing when every other city and town will not have any green skinned space girls.

Thoughts?

jaden_2.0
I've never once gone into or came out of a movie caring 1 iota about whether a film has X number of *insert gender/race/whatever here.

I don't give a shit about white washing or race swapping. I don't cry if the lead is a woman.

All I'm interested in is if it's good.

Take Hell or Highwater for example. Not a single black person in it. 1 minority cast member in Gil Birmingham. Phenomenal film.

I also think the awards are becoming increasingly irrelevant and don't reflect the quality of a movie anyway.

What's funny is when a movie gives huge representation to a certain group. Is of excellent quality and yet gets zero credit from those who are looking for those things. Case in point. Annihilation. Entirely female team of intelligent, accomplished, well respected scientists. Unique story. Great visuals. Solid acting. Totally ignored by feminists.

Basically people who moan about whitewashing or 'wokeness' or 'whamen' are just as bad as each other. Robbing themselves of enjoyment of movies because they can't remove their dumb politics for a couple of hours.

Eon Blue
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
I've never once gone into or came out of a movie caring 1 iota about whether a film has X number of *insert gender/race/whatever here.

I don't give a shit about white washing or race swapping. I don't cry if the lead is a woman.

Take Hell or Highwater for example. Not a single black person in it. 1 minority cast member in Gil Birmingham. Phenomenal film.

I also think the awards are becoming increasingly irrelevant and don't reflect the quality of a movie anyway.

What's funny is when a movie gives huge representation to a certain group. Is of excellent quality and yet gets zero credit from those who are looking for those things. Case in point. Annihilation. Entirely female team of intelligent, accomplished, well respected scientists. Unique story. Great visuals. Solid acting. Totally ignored by feminists.

Basically people who moan about whitewashing or 'wokeness' or 'whamen' are just as bad as each other. Robbing themselves of enjoyment of movies because they can't remove their dumb politics for a couple of hours.

Excellent points.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by jaden_2.0

Basically people who moan about whitewashing or 'wokeness' or 'whamen' are just as bad as each other. Robbing themselves of enjoyment of movies because they can't remove their dumb politics for a couple of hours. thumb up Agreed!

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!

Blakemore
King Willy?

Eon Blue

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!

Blakemore
I agree

-Pr-

Blakemore
WHat about get ye **** out?

cdtm
One of the things that grinds my gears is the sneaking suspicion that representation decisions are based off irrational fears of social unrest.

Like some media exec is going "Oh no, the blacks will riot!"

Decisions based off fear are a huge pet peeve of mine. Enlightened self interest, fine. Go make your money, but don't pretend the worlds gonna burn if you don't up your representation in commercials or movies. That's just stupid.

My other pet peeve is making decisions based on covering your ass from lawsuits, but that's another rant.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by cdtm
One of the things that grinds my gears is the sneaking suspicion that representation decisions are based off irrational fears of social unrest.

Like some media exec is going "Oh no, the blacks will riot!"

Decisions based off fear are a huge pet peeve of mine. Enlightened self interest, fine. Go make your money, but don't pretend the worlds gonna burn if you don't up your representation in commercials or movies. That's just stupid.

My other pet peeve is making decisions based on covering your ass from lawsuits, but that's another rant.

That sounds like your fear. Corporations exist to make money, and the money of minorities is just as green as yours. If representing under-represented people inspires under-represented people to spend more money, then they will do it. Your problem seems to be that bigotry is not profitable, in which case, your problem is with free market capitalism.

cdtm
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
That sounds like your fear. Corporations exist to make money, and the money of minorities is just as green as yours. If representing under-represented people inspires under-represented people to spend more money, then they will do it. Your problem seems to be that bigotry is not profitable, in which case, your problem is with free market capitalism.

It's not a fear on my part made out of whole cloth though, it's based on picking up things over the years.

For example, when I looked into the making of Taxi Driver, I read that the execs there color swapped quite a few people because they were afraid blacks would riot. This is something they actually admitted to.

The same thing goes for anti-semitic inclinations btw. According to the wiki of another movie, Network, one zionist jew said to another jew that they wanted a good actress banned from consideration because she supported a militant Palestinian organisation. Jew 2 cries "That's blacklisting!", and the zionist says "No, it isn't blacklisting when a jew does it to a gentile."

You can see for yourself on the Network wiki.

I won't even try and defend my thoughts as in the right, I just want you to realize the same process that assumes racism in all whites due to micro-aggressions works the other way too. See enough or hear enough about it, and your thinking gets affected.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.