Do franchises prevent original content?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Old Man Whirly!
I would argue, yes they do. With things like FF200000, the resurrection of the Matrix, the creation of a franchise of 101 Dalmations by giving Cruella an origin. The relentless acquisition of franchises Star Wars, The MCU, back to the MCU in a tick all audiences are getting is serial engagement. This suits the post pandemics streaming landscape, no conspiracy that was coincidence. The MCU created this ultra franchise model, the bigger the spin off the better... Hobbs and Shaw anyone. If it ain't a blockbuster the big studios don't want to make it. Thoughts?

Patient_Leech
I don't know if it prevents original content per se, but it almost definitely keeps smaller films from being seen by as many people as they used to...

k27cWPYlNZM

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I don't know if it prevents original content per se, but it almost definitely keeps smaller films from being seen by as many people as they used to...

k27cWPYlNZM I don't really disagree with any of that.

-Pr-
Jx8F5Imd8A8

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by -Pr-
Jx8F5Imd8A8 interesting too. The movement away from things like the BBC adds to this you don't even get much big drama there.

jaden_2.0
I think recently there's just so much content being churned out that hardly anyone seems to be watching the same stuff anymore.

Particularly with shows.

Used to be you could go into work and be like "did you watch the season finale of The Sopranos last night"..."oh yeah it was tremendous wasn't it"

Now you're more likely to get a "never heard of it" response.

And it was bad enough when it was just Netflix and a couple of other smaller streamers like NowTV and Hulu. Now it's just insane.

It doesn't help that the vast majority of it is medium budget, soulless crap. People don't want to sift through a mountain of shit to find a diamond.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
I think recently there's just so much content being churned out that hardly anyone seems to be watching the same stuff anymore.

Particularly with shows.

Used to be you could go into work and be like "did you watch the season finale of The Sopranos last night"..."oh yeah it was tremendous wasn't it"

Now you're more likely to get a "never heard of it" response.

And it was bad enough when it was just Netflix and a couple of other smaller streamers like NowTV and Hulu. Now it's just insane.

It doesn't help that the vast majority of it is medium budget, soulless crap. People don't want to sift through a mountain of shit to find a diamond. This is true, I'd read nine perfect strangers so I've been watching that... it's good, if I hadn't read the source material I would have missed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.