If it's okay to race-swap White characters, then it's okay to do it to Black ones.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Klaw
Anytime a White character is race-swapped, it's okay, their race doesn't matter.

But when you mention race-swapping of a Black character, all of a sudden race is a factor.

cdtm
Just like abortion is to be defended unless talking selective sex abortions of girls.

roughrider
In Shang Chi- the character of Razorfist is played by a German-Romanian rather than an Asian. So it does happen.

What's important is that a character can be identified as race neutral. Then they can be switched race wise or gender wise.

samhain
One problem I see is that white characters are seldom written with their whiteness at the forefront, making it easier in most cases to race swap and it not affect the story.

Black characters on the other hand, especially in the past, were mostly written to be black, do black things, have black problems and have black reactions to things, making it much more difficult to do a race swap without heavily impacting the story.

eThneoLgrRnae
Originally posted by Klaw
Anytime a White character is race-swapped, it's okay, their race doesn't matter.

But when you mention race-swapping of a Black character, all of a sudden race is a factor.

Of course. It's totally ok to change Clark Kent, Peter Parker, Steve Rogers, or The Little Mermaid into a black person but omg don't do you dare change Blade into a white person or else we gonna riot and burn shit down!!

cdtm
Originally posted by samhain
One problem I see is that white characters are seldom written with their whiteness at the forefront, making it easier in most cases to race swap and it not affect the story.

Black characters on the other hand, especially in the past, were mostly written to be black, do black things, have black problems and have black reactions to things, making it much more difficult to do a race swap without heavily impacting the story.

Looking at Guns Akimbo, I see another pattern.

Hollywood has way more fun with whites. They get to be buffoon, prankster, hero, comedian, cocaine snorter.

Your Black Panther or Rey or Captain Marvel is only cast as role model. Role models are boring, because they have no flaws or get to enjoy hubris's.

It wasn't always like this though, many people of color and minorities used to enjoy more comedic sides.

Old Man Whirly!

Black characters on the other hand, especially in the past, were mostly written to be black, do black things, have black problems and have black reactions to things, making it much more difficult to do a race swap without heavily impacting the story. Bingo! thumb up All other posts in this thread border on being driven by bigotry.

Klaw
durwank

snowdragon
Ranks up there with gay ppl need to be cast for gay roles, same with trans etc....all very funny, it's like the job of acting is to pretend to be other ppl......

cdtm
samhein says Black identity is erased to make them race swappable, and white identity was always suppressed (Probably because jewish writers wrote mockery's of white people)

Blakemore
Originally posted by snowdragon
Ranks up there with gay ppl need to be cast for gay roles, same with trans etc....all very funny, it's like the job of acting is to pretend to be other ppl...... unless your sulu

Scribble
Originally posted by cdtm
Looking at Guns Akimbo, I see another pattern.

Hollywood has way more fun with whites. They get to be buffoon, prankster, hero, comedian, cocaine snorter.

Your Black Panther or Rey or Captain Marvel is only cast as role model. Role models are boring, because they have no flaws or get to enjoy hubris's.

It wasn't always like this though, many people of color and minorities used to enjoy more comedic sides. Rey and Captain Marvel are white lol. Women aren't a minority group they're 50% of the world population

Also Kevin Hart was in three films in 2019, all buffoonish comedic roles. He's not the only comedic black actor working today. What are you even talking about?
mockery's lmao

samhain
samhein says Black identity is erased to make them race swappable, and white identity was always suppressed (Probably because jewish writers wrote mockery's of white people)

Not what I said.

Also, what's the deal with your fixation on Jews recently? I only ask because I lived with an old school friend who became a Holocaust denier among other things, and his rhetoric started out in a similar fashion, due mostly to watching youtube vids.

Genuinely asking, not looking to start a bitchy flame war with you over it, but you've been bringing Jews up a bit lately.

cdtm
Not what I said.

Also, what's the deal with your fixation on Jews recently? I only ask because I lived with an old school friend who became a Holocaust denier among other things, and his rhetoric started out in a similar fashion, due mostly to watching youtube vids.

Genuinely asking, not looking to start a bitchy flame war with you over it, but you've been bringing Jews up a bit lately.

Half joking. Mostly.

I have jewish family, and know the whole "jewish illuminati" thing is bs.

I'm just against the idea that whites against everyone else is the devil against the angels, which is totally the narrative being spun. Whites oppress, minorities are the oppressed.

I mean, if that was true why are women and asians and jews outperforming white people then? More women in education, for example.

Combine that with the "bigot card" to deflect genuine criticism. Like, say, the very real fact jews make a disproportionate number of landlords, and landlords price people out by raising rent.

You may say "So what if they're jewish". To that, I say "So what if whites are overrepresented"?

If it matter in one case, it should in the other.

Robtard
Originally posted by Klaw

False. White actors were cast in roles of someone who wasn't White and no one really cares. We're not talking about20, 30 or 50+ years ago either.

So this is just another silly Klaw bait thread.

samhain
Was just thinking the original Colonel Tigh from Battlestar Galactica was played by Terry Carter, a black man, and was replaced with Michael Hogan, a white man for the remake series, so it does happen and it will likely occur more and more over the coming decades as they start to reboot movies and shows where the black characters aren't there to be the black characters specifically.

Personally I'd love to see Peter Dinklage in a remake of Shaft but it'll just never happen.

snowdragon
OMG so much truth

jaden_2.0

Personally I'd love to see Peter Dinklage in a remake of Shaft but it'll just never happen.

They should call it "Haft"

Eon Blue

samhain

eThneoLgrRnae

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Sure, if you don't give a shit about how long-established characters are so deeply ingrained in our culture then yeah, I suppose you wouldn't think it's a big deal.

And honestly, we have a hell of a lot more important issues currently to worry about. Like fascistic vaccine mandates being pushed in the name of "the greater good" and traitorous generals telling our number one enemy that he would warn them if our president decided to attack them and that he wouldn't follow thru with Trump's order.

Oh, and of course there are also huge problems like inflation, 13 servicemen being killed and billions of dollars worth of military equipment being handed over to Taliban because we have a dementi-ridden chinese puppet for a president, an overrun border with hundreds of thousands of unvetted migrants coming in to our country (who, strangely enough, aren't being forced to take vaccines or being forced to take a test), gas shortages, civil liberties infringement by a tyrannical chinese controlled commander-in-chief,....

....and let's not forget the thousands of defenseless unborn babies being murdered in this country every single damn day in the name of "muh women's rights her derp!"

So yeah, you're right, this issue of white characters being portayed by black actors and actresses is trivial in comparison. reeeeeeee! Methneo durwank

Blakemore

Old Man Whirly!

marcssands14
I dont think it's ok to race swap either way. As a black man myself,I would like characters who originally black to stay black eg Black Adam. But on the white side, rather than make a white character black,a new character could be better depending on who it is.

I'm 100% sure you made this because of the upcoming black superman show,lol

Klaw
Nice to see a bunch of posters' hypocrisy.

Old Man Whirly!
Oh Eon...

Klaw
durwank

Old Man Whirly!
Silly race baiting Voltron roll eyes (sarcastic)

Klaw

Blakemore

Zenwolf
Originally posted by marcssands14
I dont think it's ok to race swap either way. As a black man myself,I would like characters who originally black to stay black eg Black Adam. But on the white side, rather than make a white character black,a new character could be better depending on who it is.

I'm 100% sure you made this because of the upcoming black superman show,lol

I don't get why this burns people.

I mean Kalel(Earth 23) has been around for over a decade now(2009). Even if people don't know that there is a legitimate black Superman, they should know that within comics weither it be DC, Marvel, Image, Darkhorse whatever etc. They should know the concept of Multiverse, even without comic knowledge, just general concept of Multiverse would do.

In that, there are different universes and thus there can be completely different versions of someone and those differences can be anything.

Especially since Marvel has become a pop culture thing, then people should definitely know, considering their What If series going on.

Now sure, if they did this to replace a mainstream character IE: Take Superman of Earth Prime and just switched his skin color. Then sure, I guess I could see where it would bug people.

But if it's another Superman entirely from a different Earth, I don't see an issue.

marcssands14
Originally posted by Zenwolf
I don't get why this burns people.

I mean Kalel(Earth 23) has been around for over a decade now(2009). Even if people don't know that there is a legitimate black Superman, they should know that within comics weither it be DC, Marvel, Image, Darkhorse whatever etc. They should know the concept of Multiverse, even without comic knowledge, just general concept of Multiverse would do.

In that, there are different universes and thus there can be completely different versions of someone and those differences can be anything.

Especially since Marvel has become a pop culture thing, then people should definitely know, considering their What If series going on.

Now sure, if they did this to replace a mainstream character IE: Take Superman of Earth Prime and just switched his skin color. Then sure, I guess I could see where it would bug people.

But if it's another Superman entirely from a different Earth, I don't see an issue.

Exactly

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.