Steppenwolf vs. AOU Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Thor as of Age of Ultron with Mjolnir

Who wins
NO BFR

tkitna
Thor

Psychotron
Steppenwolf was dominating Wonder Woman and Aquaman. I don't see AoU Thor doing as well against them.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Psychotron
Steppenwolf was dominating Wonder Woman and Aquaman. I don't see AoU Thor doing as well against them.

Thor has long range attacks which neither WW nor Aquaman can match. Well, technically WW had her weird bracelet concussive blasts which she somehow failed to ever use against Steppenwolf.

Still, if it was a pure melee fight then I might agree with you. But Steppenwolf has no counter to Thor's lightning or even a thrown Mjolnir.

As long as Thor fights like he does on average then he should win.

Psychotron
Originally posted by FrothByte
As long as Thor fights like he does on average then he should win.

You mean like a brawler? He barely uses his lightning in combat even after Ragnarok. He didn't use lightning against Hulk, Kurse or Thanos.

Silent Master
Yep, Thor has never used lightning against Thanos

k0A5cMcNHs0

Dhdh
mHMauhkikOk

riv6672
Originally posted by carthage
Thor as of Age of Ultron with Mjolnir

Who wins
NO BFR
Bane dies.

riv6672
Thor wins.

FrothByte
You mean like a brawler? He barely uses his lightning in combat even after Ragnarok. He didn't use lightning against Hulk, Kurse or Thanos.

Thor uses his ranged attacks majority of the time against high-end opponents:

1. Used wind to sweep Destroyer off his feet then redirected Destroyer's blast against him.
2. Used AOE lightning against Loki's illusions
3. Used massive lightning attacks against multiple leviathans
4. Used lightning a number of times against Malekith
5. Used lightning against Hulk in their Ragnarok fight
6. Used lightning against Ironman
7. Used numerous lightning attacks against Hela
8. Used lightning against Thanos in IW

So... what were you saying? Kurse was the only one you got right.

Psychotron
A jolt of lightning here and there doesn't make up for the fact that Thor likes to fight up close. MCU Thor is an 80 IQ dudebro, he won't fight from a distance and pelt Steppenwolf with ranged attacks. He'll try to fight in H2H.

Psychotron
Originally posted by Silent Master
Yep, Thor has never used lightning against Thanos

Once in four encounters with him. Boy, Thor sure does love to use lightning!

Dhdh
Once in four encounters with him. Boy, Thor sure does love to use lightning! pussy

Dhdh
He doesn't limit his powers or job? Why naught, what is he a sadist?

Darth Thor
A jolt of lightning here and there doesn't make up for the fact that Thor likes to fight up close. MCU Thor is an 80 IQ dudebro, he won't fight from a distance and pelt Steppenwolf with ranged attacks. He'll try to fight in H2H.

Once in four encounters with him. Boy, Thor sure does love to use lightning!

25% is more than enough to negate this idea that its not in character for him.

But personally I think the odd time he didnt (when it was really needed) is more likely down to PIS.

And FYI its not pure H2H when hes throwing Mjolnir at his opponent (or dropping it on them).

Silent Master
Originally posted by Darth Thor

But personally I think the odd time he didnt (when it was really needed) is more likely down to PIS.

And FYI its not pure H2H when hes throwing Mjolnir at his opponent (or dropping it on them).

Thor has also used lightning against Hulk, his list wasn't very accurate.

Old Man Whirly!
The ice giant hammer attack for the win.

FrothByte

And I never said he'd fight purely from a distance. He'd most likely combine melee and ranged attacks like he normally does, and Steppenwolf doesn't have any answer for those ranged attacks.
Very, very rarely has Thor ever fought pure h2h.

Just admit you were wrong to claim Thor never used lightning on Thanos and Hulk and move on.

Psychotron

I didn't say that he never does it, but that he prefers to fight up close. I agree that Thor can win if he fights smart, but he's not smart in the MCU.

Originally posted by Silent Master
Thor has also used lightning against Hulk, his list wasn't very accurate.

A single time in Ragnarok and only because he was getting a flashback/vision of Odin. Then, rather than pelt Hulk with lightning bolts, he charged at him and punched him. Because Thor likes to brawl. Hulk wasn't particularly hurt by these attacks anyway.

FrothByte

Darth Thor
I didn't say that he never does it, but that he prefers to fight up close. I agree that Thor can win if he fights smart, but he's not smart in the MCU.

He Has fought smart though. For instance he never went H2H against The Destroyer at all. And outright admitted fighting Thanos without a new hammer would be suicide.

Given his history Hes very likely to repeatedly throw Mjolnir from a distance, dish out some lightning and fly a fair bit.

And if the What If series is anything to go buy, then im not even convinced Steppenwolf is stronger.

Psychotron
He Has fought smart though. For instance he never went H2H against The Destroyer at all. And outright admitted fighting Thanos without a new hammer would be suicide.

Given his history Hes very likely to repeatedly throw Mjolnir from a distance, dish out some lightning and fly a fair bit.

And if the What If series is anything to go buy, then im not even convinced Steppenwolf is stronger.

It doesn't take a genius to realize you need a special weapon when the other guy beat you half to death last time. Also, if he was smart he wouldn't have given Thanos time to snap.

Given his history he might to that once or twice and go full brawler for 90% of the fight. He's fought Hulk twice and used lightning and a hammer throw exactly once against him. He never used lightning against Kurse. He used lightning against Thanos only once in 4 fights, etc. The guy is a viking warrior and he likes to fight. It's in character for him.

So you think he'd be able to dominate Diana and Arthur in melee like Steppenwolf did?

TheVaultDweller

I'm not sure we should be using the What If series to scale main timeline MCU characters, as their power levels have generally appeared to be above what's been shown in the live action stuff, with pretty much the sole exception being semi-retired/gardener Thanos.

TheVaultDweller
So you think he'd be able to dominate Diana and Arthur in melee like Steppenwolf did?

What If Thor, like most What If characters, is crazy powerful. He literally smacked Captain Marvel hard enough to send her flying from France to the UK and shrugged off her return hit which sent him flying from the UK to the US.

KingD19
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I'm not sure we should be using the What If series to scale main timeline MCU characters, as their power levels have generally appeared to be above what's been shown in the live action stuff, with pretty much the sole exception being semi-retired/gardener Thanos.

Peggy for example was jumping clean over 60ft castle ramparts and flipping Deuce & A Half's over her head easily and batting away tank shells. She'd wipe the floor with every MCU Super Soldier at the same time.

Dhdh
King Dese Nutz!!! Gotteeeeem

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by KingD19
Peggy for example was jumping clean over 60ft castle ramparts and flipping Deuce & A Half's over her head easily and batting away tank shells. She'd wipe the floor with every MCU Super Soldier at the same time.

And What If Black Panther is so fast he can dance around automatic fire and maneuver around so quickly that it almost seems like he's teleporting.

KingD19
What If characters are much closer, if not around the same level as the comic counterparts, or something like Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

FrothByte
It doesn't take a genius to realize you need a special weapon when the other guy beat you half to death last time. Also, if he was smart he wouldn't have given Thanos time to snap.

Given his history he might to that once or twice and go full brawler for 90% of the fight. He's fought Hulk twice and used lightning and a hammer throw exactly once against him. He never used lightning against Kurse. He used lightning against Thanos only once in 4 fights, etc. The guy is a viking warrior and he likes to fight. It's in character for him.

Thor uses lightning and hammer throws in about 80% of his fights. He does not spam them as much as he does melee strikes but that doesn't change the fact that he still uses it consistently in his fights. Stop trying to force him to fight in a manner that's inconsistent with his depiction.

Saying Thor won't use lightning in a fight is like claiming Ironman won't punch in a fight.

And yes, if Diana fights as stupidly as she did against Steppenwolf then Thor should be able to handle both her and Aquaman at the same time.

Psychotron
Thor uses lightning and hammer throws in about 80% of his fights. He does not spam them as much as he does melee strikes but that doesn't change the fact that he still uses it consistently in his fights. Stop trying to force him to fight in a manner that's inconsistent with his depiction.

Saying Thor won't use lightning in a fight is like claiming Ironman won't punch in a fight.

And yes, if Diana fights as stupidly as she did against Steppenwolf then Thor should be able to handle both her and Aquaman at the same time.

He uses them once per fight or not at all most of the time. I already gave examples of times he did not use lightning against major opponents (Hulk in Avengers, Kurse, 3 out of 4 Thanos fights). Stop acting like Thor is some tactician. He uses his powers from time to time, but most of the time he likes to fight in melee.

Retarded comparison. Iron Man has probably thrown more punches in the Civil War final fight than Thor has thrown lightning in his entire MCU career outside of perhaps the ending of Ragnarok.

I'm curious how you think Thor is going to handle the massive speed difference + a sword that can cut even Doomsday.

TheVaultDweller
What If characters are much closer, if not around the same level as the comic counterparts, or something like Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

The crazy thing about the Thor and Captain Marvel showdown is they weren't even going all out. Carol explicitly states she was holding back, while Thor's attitude during the fight showed that he considered Carol little more than a nuisance who was interrupting his party time. Instead of trying to seriously injure or kill her, he even said that she just needed a "time out".

KingD19
The crazy thing about the Thor and Captain Marvel showdown is they weren't even going all out. Carol explicitly states she was holding back, while Thor's attitude during the fight showed that he considered Carol little more than a nuisance who was interrupting his party time. Instead of trying to seriously injure or kill her, he even said that she just needed a "time out".

Yeah, Carol never even went Binary, and Thor never struggled. He was just a frat boy trying to get in his mind a stuck up b*tch out of his way so he could party.

Darth Thor

Darth Thor
And What If Black Panther is so fast he can dance around automatic fire and maneuver around so quickly that it almost seems like he's teleporting.

I dont remember that tbh.

ShadowFyre
Why would anyone think Steppenwolf is stronger? He clearly is not and has zero feats to suggest otherwise.

TheVaultDweller
I dont remember that tbh.

It's from the episode with Iron Man and Killmonger, when they go to get the Vibranium from Klaue.

lNZSMLbMpcE

At the 30-second mark he goes offscreen to the left side and then almost immediately drops from the air to the right. And at the end he dodges all but the last few shots from the AK as he is charging the guy (not that they could hurt him anyway).

As fast and agile as main continuity T'Challa is, he's never been on that level.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, Carol never even went Binary, and Thor never struggled. He was just a frat boy trying to get in his mind a stuck up b*tch out of his way so he could party.

That episode actually got me thinking and Thor is technically the Asgardian equivalent of that age. IIRC, it's mentioned in the first Thor film that MCU Asgardians, Frost Giants and the like have a lifespan of around 5,000 years. Thor is 1,500 as of Infinity War, which is like 30% of the total. If you apply the average human lifespan it puts his age in the early 20s by human standards.

KingD19
That episode actually got me thinking and Thor is technically the Asgardian equivalent of that age. IIRC, it's mentioned in the first Thor film that MCU Asgardians, Frost Giants and the like have a lifespan of around 5,000 years. Thor is 1,500 as of Infinity War, which is like 30% of the total. If you apply the average human lifespan it puts his age in the early 20s by human standards.

Yeah, you totally get the "gifted but lazy athlete and his really smart, but really awkward introvert brother who both still live at home in college vibes" from Thor and Loki.

KingD19
It's from the episode with Iron Man and Killmonger, when they go to get the Vibranium from Klaue.

lNZSMLbMpcE

At the 30-second mark he goes offscreen to the left side and then almost immediately drops from the air to the right. And at the end he dodges all but the last few shots from the AK as he is charging the guy (not that they could hurt him anyway).

As fast and agile as main continuity T'Challa is, he's never been on that level.

He also launches a guy from the floor to the highest catwalk in the room which is only a few feet down from the ceiling. That's easily 40-50 feet high. And he's moving in short bursts of near superspeed it looks like.

h1a8
Thor has long range attacks which neither WW nor Aquaman can match. Well, technically WW had her weird bracelet concussive blasts which she somehow failed to ever use against Steppenwolf.

Still, if it was a pure melee fight then I might agree with you. But Steppenwolf has no counter to Thor's lightning or even a thrown Mjolnir.

As long as Thor fights like he does on average then he should win. I see steppen tough enough to bat the hammer away (he caught faster arrows). From the punishment Superman unleashed on him (punches and HV) I think lightning is not going to do a lot.

I don't see Thor spamming lightning on a single foe in battle. He will result mostly to melee with occasional lightning and thrown hammer.

Darth Thor

Yeah I realised afterwards. For some reason my mind went straight to Star Lord - TChalla.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.