I hate tipping culture.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Klaw
Disclaimer: I tip 10% to 20% depending on service at restaurants and for food delivery.

Here in Canada, tips are expected and it's stupid.

I was on a double decker tour bus and at the end of the tour, the guide said they accept tips.

I left without giving one.

You have to tip for everything now.

Even getting takeout, they expect tips.

It's ridiculous.

It's legal to pay less than the standard minimum wage for tipped positions.

Employees should not be underpaid in the first place.

Robtard
Originally posted by Robtard
If you don't want to tip, then don't eat out or ask for services where a tip is expected. Cheap bastards, the lot of you.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=513931&pagenumber=1

Blakemore
I never tip. I don't even give a penny to those stupid charity boxes at mcdonalds.

Klaw
Originally posted by Blakemore
I never tip. I don't even give a penny to those stupid charity boxes at mcdonalds.

Robtard thinks you're a cheap bastard then.

Robtard
Originally posted by Klaw
Robtard thinks you're a cheap bastard then. ^Klaw said something true for once.

ares834
Originally posted by Blakemore

https://static3.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Steve-Bucsemi-as-Mr-Pink-in-Reservoir-Dogs.jpg

Raptor22
Depending on the situation sometimes all i give is the tip.

samhain
I tip with every drink at a bar, it ensures you get good service TBH. I agree though, an employer shouldn't be allowed to pay under the minimum wage just because the staff might get tips, I find that a disgusting practice.

Grand-Moff-Gav
I respect both Robtard and Blakemore. Why then do I find them engaging with these feverishly puerile posters? Is it simply due to a lack of alternative opportunities for conversation?

Blakemore
The real cheap bastards are the business owners who don't pay their customers a living wage.

Robtard
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
I respect both Robtard and Blakemore. Why then do I find them engaging with these feverishly puerile posters? Is it simply due to a lack of alternative opportunities for conversation?

^ This is a fair critique

Robtard
Originally posted by samhain
I tip with every drink at a bar, it ensures you get good service TBH. I agree though, an employer shouldn't be allowed to pay under the minimum wage just because the staff might get tips, I find that a disgusting practice. Originally posted by Blakemore
The real cheap bastards are the business owners who don't pay their customers a living wage.

Agreed there, waiting tables and other tip-reliance jobs shouldn't exist, they should be paid to where at least the person can live working 40hrs and the tips are a bonus if someone wants to award especially good service.

Raptor22
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
I respect both Robtard and Blakemore. ive identified the root of the problem for u.

Its up to u to fix it from here. smile

BackFire
In restaurants I pretty much always tip, the quality of the service decides how much.

However, one thing I've noticed lately, that I don't like, is how places that aren't sit down restaurants, like a pizza place where I'm getting a pizza to go, try to basically trap you into tipping there too. When you pay with a card, after you slide it into the machine, they have a tipping screen asking how much you want to tip. It doesn't ask you if you want to tip at all, just how much. And the choices are 15%, 25% and 30%, or "Custom". And to not tip at all you have to go to "Custom" and type in 0. It's all an annoying hassle obviously attempting to get people to tip who are too lazy or can't figure out how not to tip, all this while the worker is sitting there at the cash register watching.

So whenever I find one of these places that has something like that, I make a mental note and just from then on I pay with cash.

samhain

BackFire
Yeah it's exactly that. It's annoying as hell. Now I only pay cash at that pizza place.

Impediment

BackFire
Yeah at to go restaurants I almost never tip either. Unless I ordered something weird that required a lot of extra work, or a very large order (because I'm fat and hungry) then I'll tip a bit.

Klaw
When I went for shawarma the other day, the machine had.a tip option.

There was no table service and I dined in.

No need for tipping in that scenario.

jaden_2.0
I'm more inclined to tip now that things are opening up again. The catering industry staff got hit hardest during lockdown. They were some of the lowest paid prior to lockdown so the least likely to have savings to fall back on. They were one of the most likely to be part of the gig economy on zero hours contracts and they were the most likely to get laid off as their employers cut costs.

I'm lucky enough to have doubled my salary over the last 2 years so it's good to pay a little to those who need help getting back on their feet.

Raptor22
I tip with every drink at a bar, it ensures you get good service TBH. I agree though, an employer shouldn't be allowed to pay under the minimum wage just because the staff might get tips, I find that a disgusting practice. it could be different in the country ur in but in the US, if a tipped employee doesn't make at least minimum wage with their base salary plus tips then the employer has to make up the difference.

"A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees."

samhain
Yeah over here you'd get minimum wage, then you get your tips on top of that, which can be really good if you're working in a good establishment, one Xmas while working in a decent restaurant I didn't even touch my wages for about 2 months because the tips were that good. I built up a bit of a nest egg.

What if an employee gets tips that exceed the minimum wage? Like a high roller tips them a grand or something. Does the owner not have to pay a penny then?

rudester
I dont tip

Newjak
Mandatory tipping shouldn't be a thing. A system built on expecting tips to offset income so businesses don't have to pay livable wages is barbaric.

When I was in Japan there was no tipping and it was awesome.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Newjak
Mandatory tipping shouldn't be a thing. A system built on expecting tips to offset income so businesses don't have to pay livable wages is barbaric.

When I was in Japan there was no tipping and it was awesome.

Is it Japan that's aggressively anti-tipping? Like, they consider it an insult?

Newjak
Originally posted by -Pr-
Is it Japan that's aggressively anti-tipping? Like, they consider it an insult? Yes they are. There wasn't even an option to tip in most cases that I remember.

Just good food, good service, pay my bill and I'm on my way. It was magical.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Newjak
Yes they are. There wasn't even an option to tip in most cases that I remember.

Just good food, good service, pay my bill and I'm on my way. It was magical.

I wonder how many countries other than America have much of a tipping culture. I mean, when I was in Canada it never felt mandatory, but it was a lot more widely encouraged than it is in say, Ireland.

Likely due to people actually getting less shit wages, but still.

Raptor22
Yeah over here you'd get minimum wage, then you get your tips on top of that, which can be really good if you're working in a good establishment, one Xmas while working in a decent restaurant I didn't even touch my wages for about 2 months because the tips were that good. I built up a bit of a nest egg.

What if an employee gets tips that exceed the minimum wage? Like a high roller tips them a grand or something. Does the owner not have to pay a penny then? i believe the employer has to pay at least $2.13 per hour no matter what, per federal regulations but can be more depending on the state.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Klaw
Disclaimer: I tip 10% to 20% depending on service at restaurants and for food delivery.

Here in Canada, tips are expected and it's stupid.

I was on a double decker tour bus and at the end of the tour, the guide said they accept tips.

I left without giving one.

You have to tip for everything now.

Even getting takeout, they expect tips.

It's ridiculous.

It's legal to pay less than the standard minimum wage for tipped positions.

Employees should not be underpaid in the first place. didn't you make this thread before as Eon?

Blakemore
Can you tip in Canadian Tire money?

Klaw
Yes.

Blakemore
That's pretty cool.

Klaw
Canadian Tire money has moved over to digital now, but there's still paper money out there.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.