Why does Hollywood depend so much on nostalgia?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

robotflug
What is up with current Hollywoods heavy reliance on nostalgia for reboots/revivals of movies, cartoons, and live action TV shows with wokeness ruining them too. They have really lost it because nothing feels original anymore and all they want to do is excessive nostalgic pandering. Will Hollywood ever make something new thats not a reboot/revival of classic properties?.

cdtm
Originally posted by robotflug
What is up with current Hollywoods heavy reliance on nostalgia for reboots/revivals of movies, cartoons, and live action TV shows with wokeness ruining them too. They have really lost it because nothing feels original anymore and all they want to do is excessive nostalgic pandering. Will Hollywood ever make something new thats not a reboot/revival of classic properties?.

It was all explained in the movie Network. The people who knew what they were doing retired, while up and comers were out of their minds with a narrow focus on ratings and novel, often highly unethical means of generating interest.

And the radical activists also made a home there, so you have members of radical Islam and militant sjw's as stakeholders behind the scenes.

That movie was a warning in the 1970's, and there were many similar warnings (Scrooged was one) You don't see those anymore, which implies it's all been completely ****ed for awhile now.

samhain
Originally posted by cdtm
It was all explained in the movie Network. The people who knew what they were doing retired, while up and comers were out of their minds with a narrow focus on ratings and novel, often highly unethical means of generating interest.

And the radical activists also made a home there, so you have members of radical Islam and militant sjw's as stakeholders behind the scenes.

That movie was a warning in the 1970's, and there were many similar warnings (Scrooged was one) You don't see those anymore, which implies it's all been completely ****ed for awhile now.

IOW, it's the lefts fault, just like absolutely everything right?

cdtm
Originally posted by samhain

You can mock, but is ain't right wingers doing broadway or trying to break into entertainment and the media.

Except in very narrow focused right wing areas, which are pretty far from the norm.

Blakemore
cdtm's definition of right wing: Everything I agree with (unless I look like a dumbass racist, then no)
cdtm's definition of left wing: Everything I hate.

samhain
Yeah but, 'Lefties, lefties!' is your answer for everything these days. I'm not sure that there's anything you wouldn't tie into politics or blame on so called progressive thinking in some way.

cdtm
Yeah but, 'Lefties, lefties!' is your answer for everything these days. I'm not sure that there's anything you wouldn't tie into politics or blame on so called progressive thinking in some way.

Not everything.

I never blamed the left on Hajime No Ippo going downhill. smile

robotflug
It would be fresh if Hollywood had a renaissance of new and original ideas that would interest everyone.

eThneoLgrRnae

Well, if the shoe fits... crazy woke lefties do in fact ruin pretty much everything.

I recently rewatched "Assassins" with Stallone and Banderas recently. Still a great flick but I noticed left wing propaganda that I hadn't noticed in film all the previous times I watched it.

Of course there are many more examples of left wing, woke politics being put in films that do actually ruin it (unlike in "Assassins" where it was only slightly annoying)... the newest Star Wars films are a prime example of this.

Bashar Teg

^^this should be copied and pasted as the first reply in every butthurt trumpanzee thread

Klaw
Reeee.

ares834
Leftist run Hollywood... How is that even a debate? lmao

Anyway, the fault largely lies with brain-dead consoomers who don't go see anything new but only remakes or the next Marvel film. Though, it certainly doesn't help that there appears to be a lack of creative and competent people working in the upper echelons of the film industry nowadays.

Blakemore
People don't want stories anymore. They just want newer special effects that only serve to advertise the next video game with the same name.

It's been that way for decades.

robotflug
One very big infamous thing writers of reboots/revivals always claim is that its a love letter to the fanbase but they end up ruining it with woke crap and heavy reliance on nostalgia.

cdtm
Originally posted by robotflug
One very big infamous thing writers of reboots/revivals always claim is that its a love letter to the fanbase but they end up ruining it with woke crap and heavy reliance on nostalgia.

It's like they take the core audience for granted and put all their efforts into attracting new audiences.

Which I suspect is the case. Star Wars fans are seen as addicts who will watch anything with the Star Wars brand, meaning there is no chance of alienating them.

Or so I imagine the thinking goes.

truejedi
Meh, Star Wars lost me with the new trilogy. So bad. Rogue One was really good, and Solo was pretty decent, but they haven't followed up either one. All three trilogy movies were pretty much garbage.

robotflug
I wonder if a nostalgia fatigue will ever happen in the future making people want brand new original things rather than reboots/revivals.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.