Unlimited Power

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

truejedi
If you were running the country, or the world ( your choice)
What would you change? You're Anakin Skywalker here, making things the way they ought to be based on your own life experience and view.

Feel free to lay it all out, or just put forward one law you would change:. Either way, expect to be challenged.

Might be most interesting if you only put forward a few law changing proposals at a time, and we could see which things might actually be somewhat bipartisan

For instance: a few things I would change on day one:

Changes to elected offices:

Age limit on elected office to be 15 years higher than median age of the population.

Term limits for all elected positions. No more than 8 years in any office.

Profiting personally from choices made in elected office, or from information gathered while in such a position would be a criminal act. The justice code would be strict in this case, putting the onus on the lawmaker to recuse themselves in all situations where their personal fortunes are involved. This should make someone more electable who is less connected, since you wouldn't want your elected official recusing himself in half the votes, because he happens to own half the state.

Changes in environmental practices:

I'd put a keen focus on preserving the environment. Regardless of cost, harmful, unsustainable practices to the earth would stop, and be replaced with more sustainable practices. If this changed our 20th century way of life to preserve the earth for the 21st and 22nd century, so be it. This would include shipping:

International shipping would be examined on a case by case basis for necessity. No more shipping Frozen food across the ocean to be packaged, only to bring it back to sell. Domestic shipping of food products would be examined for wastefulness:. Maybe there shouldn't be stacks of pineapples available in Michigan in February, for instance. Eating locally and seasonally would be a big focus for sustainability.

cdtm
I'd segregate the country into work camps. 250 people a pen, most easily managed. Their wardons would get special privileges.

Each month one pen would be massacred as an example to the rest. A member from each of the others would be required to participate as a tribute, on threat of their community suffering the same fate.

I would also have gladiator fights. All kinds of perverse match's, you name it it'll happen.

Basically I'd create a utopia; like a Liberal.

Deano
i would let the neutron bombs off .. The world dis better off without us

Klaw
Can you imagine a world without Leftists?

https://i.imgur.com/sAkK2drm.jpg

Old Man Whirly!
The Nation will be reborn. The sick will be healed. The economy will be restored. Poverty will be abolished. Every day shall be a day of love and progress. My model will provide a new dawn for humankind! Hail me!

truejedi
I would unlink jobs and healthcare.

cdtm
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
The Nation will be reborn. The sick will be healed. The economy will be restored. Poverty will be abolished. Every day shall be a day of love and progress. My model will provide a new dawn for humankind! Hail me!

Since he never said "super powers", one can only imagine how you would accomplish such a feat.

Occams razor says it would be far easier to simply eliminate the poor and oppressed to achieve such an agenda. smile

truejedi
Probably the most efficient method of eliminating the poor would be UBI. That's a good idea, I could get behind that.

cdtm
Originally posted by truejedi
Probably the most efficient method of eliminating the poor would be UBI. That's a good idea, I could get behind that.

UBI doesn't work on large scales, nor with a sizeable population of loafers.

truejedi
I've always thought UBI would work great couples with a national work program: show up for your assigned job to receive UBI.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by cdtm
Since he never said "super powers", one can only imagine how you would accomplish such a feat.

Occams razor says it would be far easier to simply eliminate the poor and oppressed to achieve such an agenda. smile redistribution of wealth. Improving the manufacturing base through technology. Forced renationalisation of the elements of the health service, education and prison service. A national works programme. Rejoining the EU etc.

truejedi
I agree that the mega wealthy are a huge part of the world's problems today. By owning so much, they simply deny many people the ability to own enough to scratch out a living.

Look at rich land buyers from all over the world purchasing Hawaiian property at such prices that deny native Hawaiians from owning any land. A 25 year old Hawaiin kid trying to buy a first home can't compete with Bill gates on purchase price of a vacation home, for instance. It's a huge problem. There needs to be a cap on how much one human can own.

Old Man Whirly!
I agree that the mega wealthy are a huge part of the world's problems today. By owning so much, they simply deny many people the ability to own enough to scratch out a living.

Look at rich land buyers from all over the world purchasing Hawaiian property at such prices that deny native Hawaiians from owning any land. A 25 year old Hawaiin kid trying to buy a first home can't compete with Bill gates on purchase price of a vacation home, for instance. It's a huge problem. There needs to be a cap on how much one human can own. Agree 100% Their really does, trickle down economics does not work

S_W_LeGenD

Look at rich land buyers from all over the world purchasing Hawaiian property at such prices that deny native Hawaiians from owning any land. A 25 year old Hawaiin kid trying to buy a first home can't compete with Bill gates on purchase price of a vacation home, for instance. It's a huge problem. There needs to be a cap on how much one human can own.
Good judgement. thumb up

But the rich are in love with their wealth and want to outdo each other for bragging rights. There is no limit to human greed.

More practical solution is to allow the rich to earn as much as they can but there should be a cap on how much property each can own in a country, and each should be made to donate a large sum of money to the government every 2nd year to fund Public Welfare programs.

cdtm
The rich are producers. They can easily choose to take their money and run, leaving Zimbabwe type scenerios.

truejedi
Are they producers? I find that too be untrue. Middle class might be producers, but not the mega rich... They are more like the king of little empires. Elon Musk is not necessary in the continuation of SpaceX. He isn't personally building rockets. If he were deposed, the production would continue.

Blakemore
I've always thought UBI would work great couples with a national work program: show up for your assigned job to receive UBI. I like the idea of apprenticeships. Everyone at the age of 16/18 on job seekers allowance gets a choice of an apprenticeship immediately (with the exception of mitigating circumstances). In the UK, they strip your benefits if you can't prove proof of looking for work, but I think more effort into apprenticeships and worker programmes could encourage employment in the future.

I voted for a party in the UK that campaigned for exactly that just over a decade ago. I think they were called the "fibber all, done with that" party.

Klaw
UBI is just a band-aid to crony Capitalism.

The entire system needs to be overhauled.

Western countries should do what Sweden does.

ilikecomics
I would defund everything currently paid for via coercion or theft, and let the spontaneous ordering of society take place.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.