Is Hulk underrated now-a-days?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Hulk used to be the one to beat in Avengers IIRC, even before the MCU (in cartoons), yet now-a-days in the MCU all that's talked about really is Cap and Thor, no one cares about Hulk anymore seems like.

KingD19
It's not surprising. Because of the apparently extremely complicated licensing rights to Hulk, he hasn't actually had a chance to shine. Every main Avenger in the MCU(Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Widow, Hawkeye, Strange, etc...) have gotten a show or a movie on top of the shared appearances throughout the "Group" movies or assisting a hero in their personal movie. Hulk's been a helper since his solo movie in 08 and hasn't had any opportunity to show off what being Hulk means in a solo movie, which would in turn force them to make him more impressive overall.

ShadowFyre
I think they did understand that just being able punch stuff doesn't make you a badass superhero. like Hulk's power set is boring,his characters and his stories are boring both Banner and the Hulk.

If you ask me he's given way too much love in the comics and is allowed to beat people up that he shouldn't even be able to fight

riv6672
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Is Hulk underrated now-a-days?

^^^Always.

Impediment
Hulk was unforgivably nerfed in the last two Avengers films.

riv6672

KingD19
Hulk was nerfed exponentially harder than most other Avengers, while some Avengers were given comic levels of power basically (Wanda, Carol). Hulk should've healed his arm and been able to fist fight pretty much anyone who showed up.

StiltmanFTW
It's not that easy.

Even the incarnations with best regen feats can have their HFs slowed down with sufficient energies of exotic origins.

But that wasn't Endgame Hulk's biggest problem - he did participate in the final battle, even though he didn't get much screen time.

His problem was essentially this:

https://i.ibb.co/LJ3pmpC/ult1.jpg https://i.ibb.co/5jL7xxV/ult2.jpg

Ultimate Universe, but you get the point.

-Pr-

riv6672

-Pr-

Impediment
Ragnarok is the worst MCU film, IMO, for a number of reasons but mainly because the Planet Hulk story was wasted and in a shitty way.

I have no doubt Hulk will get another solo film, but we deserved to see Savage Hulk or even World Breaker Hulk; not "Ow! I hurt my arm!" Hulk.

Wanda could have "turned Banner off" like Jean Grey did in the ending of the "Onslaught" story arc.

riv6672
Originally posted by -Pr-
I'm saying that justifying it by saying it's storyline reasons makes it poor. Not incorrect. They could have easily made room for him; they just didn't bother.
^^^ thumb up

HulkIsHulk
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
It's not that easy.

Even the incarnations with best regen feats can have their HFs slowed down with sufficient energies of exotic origins.

But that wasn't Endgame Hulk's biggest problem - he did participate in the final battle, even though he didn't get much screen time.

His problem was essentially this:

https://i.ibb.co/LJ3pmpC/ult1.jpg https://i.ibb.co/5jL7xxV/ult2.jpg

Ultimate Universe, but you get the point.

Nerd Hulk atleast got badass after being a vampire, and punched off Ultimate Dracula's head (IIRC)

HulkIsHulk
Originally posted by KingD19
Hulk was nerfed exponentially harder than most other Avengers, while some Avengers were given comic levels of power basically (Wanda, Carol). Hulk should've healed his arm and been able to fist fight pretty much anyone who showed up.

Hulk being nerfed is to be expected. I mean look at Thor in Endgame. However, its clear that the Russos did not want anything to do with Hulk. They kept Hulk for less than 3 mins in IW before making him Banner, then put Banner in Hulk's body in EG. Plus those scenes in 2012 NY which portray Hulk as a complete idiot, especially the stairs scene.(Seriously! Why use the stairs at all? Jump down!) And then he is able to use the IG only because its gamma, and then had to be saved by Giant Man. And then he vanishes after the portal scene and is shown in background struggling to put down an Outrider. And to add insult to injury, his greatest achievement in the movie leaves him permanently crippled.
So basically he went from being a character to a plot device, which obviously lowers the value

Jmanghan
IMO his last cool moment was when he fought Thanos in IW (and lost, but still even in comics it's debatable that he'd beat Thanos WITHOUT the IG.)

Darth Thor

John Murdoch
A remedy to the Hulk being nerfed was covered by a channel named "Thor Talks" on YouTube in his video entitled "Fixing Endgame's Two Worst Characters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8JsFRUmth8

TL;DW: the Russos and screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely should have written Thor to perform the snap and Hulk to go into rage mode and fight Thanos.

Thor had already beaten Thanos and then, in Endgame, killed him. However, by not having "gone for the head", half the universe is wiped out. Thor had the character motivation and reasoning to bring everyone back.

Likewise, Hulk got throttled by Thanos at the beginning of IW, and we - the audience - had not seen a savage/world-breaker Hulk on-screen yet. So, the final fight is Hulk vs. Thanos. You still have all your big moments: the snap (now performed by Thor), Cap wielding mjolnir, the portals scene, Cap Marvel shows up, Wanda vs. Thanos, and then Hulk vs. Thanos. Just have Hulk about to strike a finishing blow, and a leviathan or ship or something distract Hulk long enough for Thanos to get his hand in the gauntlet, and Tony still saves the day by switching the stones to his armor's gauntlets.

Instead, Thor's arc from Ragnarok and IW - possibly the best character arc for a MCU character, even including Tony and Cap - got dumped for making Thor the butt of jokes and then getting throttled worse by Thanos than anyone, and Hulk does the snap because it emits gamma/hand wave plot excuse and is then written out of the movie.

Darth Thor
^ Oh that would have been miles better.

Robtard
What Disney needs to do is get full rights to Hulk, so we can have another Hulk film.

They also should introduce the new Logan/Wolverine in this film. Be a classic throwback nod to Logan's first comic appearance (The Incredible Hulk #180). Could do it for 2024, marking Wolverine's 50th anniversary.

Though from what I've heard, we could get a cameo of the new Logan/Wolverine in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

John Murdoch
Man, a Hugh Jackman Wolverine showdown with Ed Norton Hulk would've been great, though with current Ruffalo Hulk it'd be great too. I agree with that idea, Rob.

Really looking forward to Doctor Strange 2: give me all the guest characters they can muster.

FrothByte
Disney has done Hulk dirty. He started off fairly well, having that big Leviathan punch in Avengers and going toe to toe with Thor.

But as the movies progressed he seemed to get nerfed more and more:

AoU: Got knocked out by Ironman

Ragnarok: Needed to be saved by Grandmaster against Thor. Didn't do much for the rest of the movie other than fight a giant wolf

Infinity War: Got the crap beat out of him so badly by Thanos that he refused to make an appearance afterwards.

Endgame: Didn't have a single good fight scene and spent most of the movie being a joker. Also couldn't heal his arm from the snap.

The weird thing is, majority of the other major Avengers got upgrades as the movies progressed. Cap was constantly getting more overpowered. Ironman eventually got his strongest armor in IW, Thor also constantly got more powerful till IW then suffered a big set back in Endgame. But at least there was improvement.

There was none for Hulk. Just a constant degradation.

playa1258
Disney not having the full film rights to Hulk might also have something to with Hulk being used as a punching bag.

Disney is well known for their pettiness towards their rivals.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.