Northern Ireland's first minister has resigned in protest over a Brexit deal...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blakemore
...known as the Northern Ireland Protocol.
3 February

"The DUP, which is part of Northern Ireland's power-sharing government, says the checks represent a threat to Northern Ireland's place within the UK."

What is the Northern Ireland Protocol?
"The protocol allows lorries to deliver goods without having paperwork and goods checked when they cross the border from Northern Ireland into the Republic of Ireland.

Before Brexit it was easy to operate an open border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. When both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland were part of the EU, they automatically followed the same EU trade rules, which meant no checks were required.

However, a new arrangement was needed after Northern Ireland (along with the rest of the UK) left the EU. The EU has strict food rules and requires border checks when certain goods, such as milk and eggs, arrive from non-EU countries. Similar rules exist in other areas, such as medicine licensing."

How does the Northern Ireland Protocol work?
"Rather than checks taking place along the Irish border, it was agreed any inspections and document checks would take place between Northern Ireland and Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) instead.

This was allowed after it was agreed that Northern Ireland would continue to follow EU rules on product standards (part of the EU's single market rules).

Checks on GB goods take place at Northern Ireland ports to make sure they comply with EU laws. However, this has led to criticism that a new trade border has effectively been created in the Irish Sea."

The UK wants less restriction between NI and GB, but not to ROI, Ireland and Northern Ireland are obviously upset because it goes against the Good Friday agreement and Europe has proposed an 80% reduction on checks from Great Britain. It's a weird situation where the EU and UK both want the same thing, yet Ireland (EU) and NI (UK) don't!

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned. The general gist of this article is how Northern Ireland (and by extension Ireland) is reliant on the UK. ermm

It's been 2 months and the office is still vacant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53724381
for further reference.

jaden_2.0
Ah Stormont. The parliament that didn't sit for 3 years because they couldn't agree if the Irish language should be taught in schools.

cdtm
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Ah Stormont. The parliament that didn't sit for 3 years because they couldn't agree if the Irish language should be taught in schools.

What?? 🤪

Why on Earth would that even be up for debate? Language is the domain of schools, not like we're talking about religions or idealogy. Who is supposed to teach it then?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Blakemore
...known as the Northern Ireland Protocol.
3 February

"The DUP, which is part of Northern Ireland's power-sharing government, says the checks represent a threat to Northern Ireland's place within the UK."

What is the Northern Ireland Protocol?
"The protocol allows lorries to deliver goods without having paperwork and goods checked when they cross the border from Northern Ireland into the Republic of Ireland.

Before Brexit it was easy to operate an open border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. When both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland were part of the EU, they automatically followed the same EU trade rules, which meant no checks were required.

However, a new arrangement was needed after Northern Ireland (along with the rest of the UK) left the EU. The EU has strict food rules and requires border checks when certain goods, such as milk and eggs, arrive from non-EU countries. Similar rules exist in other areas, such as medicine licensing."

How does the Northern Ireland Protocol work?
"Rather than checks taking place along the Irish border, it was agreed any inspections and document checks would take place between Northern Ireland and Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) instead.

This was allowed after it was agreed that Northern Ireland would continue to follow EU rules on product standards (part of the EU's single market rules).

Checks on GB goods take place at Northern Ireland ports to make sure they comply with EU laws. However, this has led to criticism that a new trade border has effectively been created in the Irish Sea."

The UK wants less restriction between NI and GB, but not to ROI, Ireland and Northern Ireland are obviously upset because it goes against the Good Friday agreement and Europe has proposed an 80% reduction on checks from Great Britain. It's a weird situation where the EU and UK both want the same thing, yet Ireland (EU) and NI (UK) don't!

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned. The general gist of this article is how Northern Ireland (and by extension Ireland) is reliant on the UK. ermm

It's been 2 months and the office is still vacant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53724381
for further reference.

I highly doubt the EU would seriously back anything that would trample on the GFA.

Not to mention that policing that border would be a ****ing nightmare.

Originally posted by cdtm
What?? 🤪

Why on Earth would that even be up for debate? Language is the domain of schools, not like we're talking about religions or idealogy. Who is supposed to teach it then?

Part of the English occupation of Ireland included wiping out Irish culture in all its forms. That includes language, and to this day, saying that most Irish people have even a rudimentary grasp of the Irish language would be optimistic.

Teaching the Irish language would be seen as teaching Irish culture, in a sense, and we can't have that. Because the DUP are a bunch of pussies.

cdtm
Originally posted by -Pr-
I highly doubt the EU would seriously back anything that would trample on the GFA.

Part of the English occupation of Ireland included wiping out Irish culture in all its forms. That includes language, and to this day, saying that most Irish people have even a rudimentary grasp of the Irish language would be optimistic.

Teaching the Irish language would be seen as teaching Irish culture, in a sense, and we can't have that. Because the DUP are a bunch of pussies.

Insane. 😳

Horrific it happened at all, but to think anyone would still support the idea..

Old Man Whirly!

Teaching the Irish language would be seen as teaching Irish culture, in a sense, and we can't have that. Because the DUP are a bunch of pussies. thumb up I speak a little shelta, which is Irish traveller language and shares some of the same words. I do not understand why the Conservatives are doing this, is it a hate of the Peace...o just don't get their thinking

Blakemore
I highly doubt the EU would seriously back anything that would trample on the GFA. They're not, they're trampling on the trade between NI and GB. The difference is, UK want the checks at the land border and the EU want the checks at the sea border, but NI can't pick a side because they don't want checks on either so gave up.

I should also point out the Ulster plantation was the most successful plantation project in the world.

Hey Pr, who do you think should get/keep NI?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
thumb up I speak a little shelta, which is Irish traveller language and shares some of the same words. I do not understand why the Conservatives are doing this, is it a hate of the Peace...o just don't get their thinking

I don't think "conservative" is quite the right word.

They're not, they're trampling on the trade between NI and GB. The difference is, UK want the checks at the land border and the EU want the checks at the sea border, but NI can't pick a side because they don't want checks on either so gave up.

I should also point out the Ulster plantation was the most successful plantation project in the world.

Hey Pr, who do you think should get/keep NI?

A land border would be a nightmare. Period. The sea border is far simpler.

That's not funny.

If I had to pick one, Ireland, but it's a mess as is.

Blakemore

A land border would be a nightmare. Period. The sea border is far simpler. I agree, but it's still going to piss off half of NI.

That's not funny. ermmhappy

sorry

If I had to pick one, Ireland, but it's a mess as is. It seems the most logical solution is to have NI under EU law as it is with Gibraltar and a sea border, but still technically ours.

Old Man Whirly!
I don't think "conservative" is quite the right word.

True the right word starts with C to mind!

Blakemore
Cyrus?

Robtard

Can Irish even be considered a real language?

(Suck it, PR!)

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Robtard
Can Irish even be considered a real language?

(Suck it, PR!)

Yes. I have posted it here before

This is it

HoPwqkyhYk8

Blakemore
It's more like a mixture of English, Gaelic and alcohol.

Blakemore

Blakemore
Thinking about it, losing NI to the ROI (and the EU) might well be the only difference Brexit has done.

As someone who was pro Brexit in 2016, this is beyond embarrassing. haermm

Old Man Whirly!
Oh yes...

Old Man Whirly!
Brexit ****ed many things up for England but perhaps not the UK members.

Blakemore
We're going to lose the first colony we ever had Since the Henry VIII declared himself King of Ireland.

Holy **** we're dumb!

Blakemore
On the other hand, better trade with Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand.

So that's pretty cool.

Old Man Whirly!
On the other hand, better trade with Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand.

So that's pretty cool. We'll see how much of that happens and how much any money made trickles down.

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-22/how-a-year-of-brexit-thumped-britain-s-economy-and-businesses

Blakemore
We'll see how much of that happens and how much any money made trickles down. If I can have lamb everyday, I won't complain. big grin

Old Man Whirly!
If I can have lamb everyday, I won't complain. big grin https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-22/how-a-year-of-brexit-thumped-britain-s-economy-and-businesses like I said... We'll see.

Blakemore
It's still early days.

Old Man Whirly!
If I can have lamb everyday, I won't complain. big grin https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-22/how-a-year-of-brexit-thumped-britain-s-economy-and-businesses like I said... We'll see.

Blakemore
Okay, we've lost money and it looks like it's going to get worse.

Old Man Whirly!
Okay, we've lost money and it looks like it's going to get worse. im quite scared for my first two pensions which were Government jobs. I see the triple lock going.

Blakemore
Well, I get to go to rehab soon.

I may be 30, but this may be the beginning of my life.

Old Man Whirly!
Well, I get to go to rehab soon.

I may be 30, but this may be the beginning of my life. i hope it works out for you. I really do Blake, life is such a strange thing.

Blakemore
Yeah.

cdtm
Okay, we've lost money and it looks like it's going to get worse.

But you have freedom!

Did you think freedom waa free?

Old Man Whirly!
But you have freedom!

Did you think freedom waa free? durpalm

Robtard
im quite scared for my first two pensions which were Government jobs. I see the triple lock going.

"Sorry retirees, but our lies and actions based on said lies buggered the economy so now you're f**ked." -The Government

cdtm
He said government jobs.

He also calls himself a CEO.

He's clearly a black bagger, probably staged so many false flags and been in so many crisis actor scenerios he forgot the name he was born with.

Blakemore
He said government jobs.

He's clearly a black bagger, probably staged so many false flags and been in so many crisis actor scenerios he forgot the name he was born with. awehuhd

Bashar Teg
He said government jobs.

He's clearly a black bagger, probably staged so many false flags and been in so many crisis actor scenerios he forgot the name he was born with.

durpoop

Blakemore
Sinn Fein are not only the most popular party in NI, they're the most popular party in Ireland.

This has a lot of ramifications.

Old Man Whirly!
Sinn Fein are not only the most popular party in NI, they're the most popular party in Ireland.

This has a lot of ramifications. yes, Ireland will be free.

Blakemore
We'll lose the oldest and most successful plantation Britain has ever had!

You've already taken Dublin, you want Belfast too? Fine, but don't think you'll get Gibraltar you Euro ****s!

For the record, I love Europe and have Polish decent, but this is going to sting the British economy. erm

Old Man Whirly!
We'll lose the oldest and most successful plantation Britain has ever had!

You've already taken Dublin, you want Belfast too? Fine, but don't think you'll get Gibraltar you Euro ****s!

For the record, I love Europe and have Polish decent, but this is going to sting the British economy. erm descent? Back at you Blake, my dear grammar nazi! laughing out loud

Blakemore
descent? Back at you Blake, my dear grammar nazi! laughing out loud **** you, Old Man Whirly!

Old Man Whirly!
laughing out loud

Blakemore
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/northern-ireland-assembly-election-2022/dup-and-alliance-party-neck-and-neck-according-to-new-assembly-election-opinion-poll-41609021.html

DUP and Alliance Party neck-and-neck according to new Assembly election opinion poll

" Sinn Fein remain on course to become the largest party, taking 26.2% of first preference votes." - snip

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/northern-ireland-assembly-election-2022/dup-and-alliance-party-neck-and-neck-according-to-new-assembly-election-opinion-poll-41609021.html

DUP and Alliance Party neck-and-neck according to new Assembly election opinion poll

" Sinn Fein remain on course to become the largest party, taking 26.2% of first preference votes." - snip Excellent.

Blakemore
SF won NI.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Blakemore
I've just solved the problem!

Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales get more autonomy and join the European Economic Area with a similar deal to Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. Of course "NO BAD IMMIGRATION" but also, this will help those smaller countries so they stop relying on England as much (seeing as they always slag us off at football and love Europe so much), and it'll strengthen ties with their viking brethren.

Put me as Prime Minister, Queenie I'm ready!

jaden_2.0
#VoteBlakey

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2015/08/13/17/blakeyepa.jpeg?width=1200

Blakemore
party

Old Man Whirly!
#VoteBlakey

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2015/08/13/17/blakeyepa.jpeg?width=1200 I'll get you Butler!

Blakemore
And their Gaelic brethren.

Blakemore
LfnrbEMjxcM hm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.