Joe Frazier

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
He gets brutalized by George Foreman, beats Ali once and gives him a heck of a fight every other time they fought, and Ali pretty much punks Foreman easier than he ever beat Frazier.

So how does that work? Why could Ali beat the heck out of Foreman, winning by KO, yet had trouble stopping Frazier's advances?

Why wasn't Frazier able to stand against Foreman's punches, yet could take Ali's all night even though he KO'd foreman with those same punches?

StyleTime
It's the old adage of "styles make fights" at play, along with some gameplan/body type differences on top. Ali used his superior defense to exhaust Foreman, eliminating the power advantage as well as Foreman's ability to defend himself later.

Frazier wanted to apply pressure though, which is a liability against Foreman. Foreman doesn't care if you swarm him because he wanted you there anyway, so he can overwhelm you with his power.

However, that swarming style works well against technical fighters. You force them to fight an "ugly" fight where their technique and movement are stifled by your flurries and pressure. That's why Ali struggled more with Frazier, even losing once.

It's kind of like Pokemon types. Swarmer suffocates the Out-fighter. Out-fighter outmaneuvers the Slugger. Slugger overpowers the Swarmer.

It doesn't always work out like this since the best fighters will adapt though.

dynamix
Originally posted by StyleTime
It's the old adage of "styles make fights" at play, along with some gameplan/body type differences on top. Ali used his superior defense to exhaust Foreman, eliminating the power advantage as well as Foreman's ability to defend himself later.

Frazier wanted to apply pressure though, which is a liability against Foreman. Foreman doesn't care if you swarm him because he wanted you there anyway, so he can overwhelm you with his power.

However, that swarming style works well against technical fighters. You force them to fight an "ugly" fight where their technique and movement are stifled by your flurries and pressure. That's why Ali struggled more with Frazier, even losing once.

It's kind of like Pokemon types. Swarmer suffocates the Out-fighter. Out-fighter outmaneuvers the Slugger. Slugger overpowers the Swarmer.

It doesn't always work out like this since the best fighters will adapt though.

this

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by StyleTime

It doesn't always work out like this since the best fighters will adapt though. I don't disagree, all great fighters too. For me, the "golden era" gets too much kudos. I can think of many more modern fighters I think would have beat all three but for the sacred cow legacy of that time.

cdtm
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
I don't disagree, all great fighters too. For me, the "golden era" gets too much kudos. I can think of many more modern fighters I think would have beat all three but for the sacred cow legacy of that time.

Plus the fix was in back then. One of the Ali dram's heavily implied he took a fall for Frasier, showing his thoughts "Wait for it... Wait for it...", before taking it on the chin.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.