Elon Musk should be the last person to control Twitter, but now he does!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/14/elon-musk-should-be-last-person-twitter-hostile-takeover/

Thank you for making my point, trolls. There is way too much nonsense online — too much name-calling, too much dishonesty, too many conspiracy theories. And there is a disturbing tendency for online flash mobs to create an echo chamber of crackpot opinions.

cdtm
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/14/elon-musk-should-be-last-person-twitter-hostile-takeover/

Thank you for making my point, trolls. There is way too much nonsense online — too much name-calling, too much dishonesty, too many conspiracy theories. And there is a disturbing tendency for online flash mobs to create an echo chamber of crackpot opinions.

And who gets to decide whats what? What stops legitimate speech being wrongly lableled as these things, and squashed?

You realize one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist. Asking for censored speech is asking for biased judgements.

Let people say what they want, and let people decide for themselves whats relevent.

cdtm
He's literally complaining about mean words on the internet.

And every single example he gave has kernals of truth. Sounds like he needs to grow a thicker skin, or avoid social media. Don't call for moderation because you can dish it out but not take it.

Old Man Whirly!
durpoop Two triggered posts in a row Cd, can you do a third laughing out loud

4D performance art!

Keep the faith smile

Stay Whirly! rock

StiltmanFTW
Regarding Musk, I'm more interested in whether or not he got compensated for by US goverment for all those trucks full of Starlink terminals he's delivered to Ukraine.

cdtm
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Regarding Musk, I'm more interested in whether or not he got compensated for by US goverment for all those trucks full of Starlink terminals he's delivered to Ukraine.

You mean like in a war profiteering way?

I don't believe SpaceX was lying about donations, but there's probably some mix of purchases and donations.

Good Pr for the US to pay for some, after all.

-Pr-
The only good that could come from Musk owning Twitter is if that shitshow finally burns to the ****ing ground.

Otherwise, no, he shouldn't own it. He's a tool.

Blakemore
Twitter was a fun way to text your friends without using your phone bill, but it destroys the point if all your friends and followers can see your tweets and your details.

At least here we're anonymous.

cdtm
Originally posted by -Pr-
The only good that could come from Musk owning Twitter is if that shitshow finally burns to the ****ing ground.

Otherwise, no, he shouldn't own it. He's a tool.

He's an egomaniac for sure.

Kind of par for the course with these moguls though. Steve Jobs infamously asked prospects if they were virgin's, feet propped up on the table.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by cdtm
He's an egomaniac for sure.

Kind of par for the course with these moguls though. Steve Jobs infamously asked prospects if they were virgin's, feet propped up on the table. Why did Bill Gates's wife divorce him?

cdtm
Why did Bill Gates's wife divorce him?

Dunno. Doubt we'll ever really know, they both kept it pretty close to the chest.

Doubt it's his fault or her fault, or really anyone's fault. It's just one of those things that could happen to anyone, and you either get crushed by it or move on.

They chose to move on, so best wishes to them.

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.hola.com/us/celebrities/20220303310208/why-did-melinda-french-gates-divorce-bill-gates/

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/world-news/us/952773/links-between-bill-gates-jeffrey-epstein-examined

Robtard
Never used Twitter, never plan too, so don't really care of Musk ends up owning it and turning it into some complete shitshow because he's read too many mean tweets and his fragile ego can't handle it.

But I would laugh if the douichebag isn't allowed to have the new toy he so sorely wants, on that merit alone.

StiltmanFTW
You mean like in a war profiteering way?

I don't believe SpaceX was lying about donations, but there's probably some mix of purchases and donations.

Good Pr for the US to pay for some, after all.

War-profiteering is too strong of a word and not adequate here.

I mean the recent articles about it:

U.S. quietly paying millions to send Starlink terminals to Ukraine, contrary to SpaceX claims

ArtificialGlory
If Elon is willing to turn Twitter into a radical free speech, anything-goes kind of platform, then I sincerely hope he gets his way.

Robtard
War-profiteering is too strong of a word and not adequate here.

I mean the recent articles about it:

U.S. quietly paying millions to send Starlink terminals to Ukraine, contrary to SpaceX claims

Seems there's some level of donation from Musk going on, but they made it seem like it was full on donations initially. Wouldn't be surprised if the true levels of donation keeps dropping the more people dig.

Musk is ranked as the wealthiest person on the planet, he could easily afford to float this entirely and he wouldn't feel it one bit, and it would help to boost his image.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Robtard
Seems there's some level of donation from Musk going on, but they made it seem like it was full on donations initially. Wouldn't be surprised if the true levels of donation keeps dropping the more people dig.

Musk is ranked as the wealthiest person on the planet, he could easily afford to float this entirely and he wouldn't feel it one bit, and it would help to boost his image.

He's only wealthy is the same way that Elizabeth Holmes was wealthy. Via the ridiculously inflated valuations of his companies. Most of his ideas have been complete trash. The Boring Company, Hyperloop, Starlink, Neuralink, Tesla Solar Roofs...none of them even come close to competing with their peers or are just not viable technologies.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
He's only wealthy is the same way that Elizabeth Holmes was wealthy. Via the ridiculously inflated valuations of his companies. Most of his ideas have been complete trash. The Boring Company, Hyperloop, Starlink, Neuralink, Tesla Solar Roofs...none of them even come close to competing with their peers or are just not viable technologies.

He's still frikken uber wealthy though, even if it's not the estimated 270+ bil.

He's pretty safe with electric cars, as that's the automotive future, at least for personal cars. Though gas/petrol isn't going away, just be used less and less.

I hadn't heard his solar panels were subpar? I actually thought the opposite, as you hear nothing but good news about his house batteries and those are connected with the solar panels. My knowledge is probably outdated here.

StiltmanFTW

I was there when it started - Ukrainian minister tweeting his requests to Musk, Musk replying, delivering the goods, then delivering them again...

But the most recent news kinda make it look pre-organized or not nearly as generous as it seemed to be.

Still, even if he was getting paid from the beginning, that sort of involvement is better than Jeff Bezos and his Amazon, which did a whole lot of nothing. Took them a good while to suspend their activities in Russian Federation as well, if memory serves.

jaden_2.0
He's still frikken uber wealthy though, even if it's not the estimated 270+ bil.

He's pretty safe with electric cars, as that's the automotive future, at least for personal cars. Though gas/petrol isn't going away, just be used less and less.

I hadn't heard his solar panels were subpar? I actually thought the opposite, as you hear nothing but good news about his house batteries and those are connected with the solar panels. My knowledge is probably outdated here.

Tesla has never made money from cars. Its made money selling carbon credits to other car makers but without that and its hundred million from bitcoin it would lose about 200m a year.

Their solar roofs are shit compared to insulation and normal solar panels. They actually used as a selling point that during a snow storm the only house in the neighbourhood that had a tesla roof was the only house that the snow had melted off the roof...showing that their roofs were horrendous at insulating the house.

Their tesla semis will never happen. Huge numbers of people have already paid for a tesla truck they'll never receive.

He just brain farts too much crap out into the world that he has zero understanding of. Eventually he comes to a realisation and then allows other people to waste their money on his shitty ideas which is why he "open sourced" hyperloop. Because he finally realised that making vacuum tubes hundreds of miles long is just impossible.

Robtard
Tesla has never made money from cars. Its made money selling carbon credits to other car makers but without that and its hundred million from bitcoin it would lose about 200m a year.

Their solar roofs are shit compared to insulation and normal solar panels. They actually used as a selling point that during a snow storm the only house in the neighbourhood that had a tesla roof was the only house that the snow had melted off the roof...showing that their roofs were horrendous at insulating the house.

Their tesla semis will never happen. Huge numbers of people have already paid for a tesla truck they'll never receive.

He just brain farts too much crap out into the world that he has zero understanding of. Eventually he comes to a realisation and then allows other people to waste their money on his shitty ideas which is why he "open sourced" hyperloop. Because he finally realised that making vacuum tubes hundreds of miles long is just impossible. I was going to type "Tesla's cars worth is banked on what it will be able to do in the future and where they're positioned with car battery/motor tech", but that's exactly based on what you initially said, inflated evaluations of what may come to pass.

Damn, Musk's even more of a charlatan than I already though.

cdtm
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
If Elon is willing to turn Twitter into a radical free speech, anything-goes kind of platform, then I sincerely hope he gets his way.

I half joked in Comic Vs, but 4chan really is what free speech absolutism looks like.

So I hope Elon Musk is prepared for that.

StiltmanFTW
Just because they can use your favorite n-word, doesn't mean it's a free speech absolutism.

You can still cross a line there. Just share some of your views there and observe your router exploding in front of you.

ArtificialGlory
I half joked in Comic Vs, but 4chan really is what free speech absolutism looks like.

So I hope Elon Musk is prepared for that.
Twitter being turned into another 4chan would be a beautiful and terrifying thing to behold.

DeadpoolXXX
Regarding Musk, I'm more interested in whether or not he got compensated for by US goverment for all those trucks full of Starlink terminals he's delivered to Ukraine. the guy didn't become the richest person on the planet by doing shit for free.

Robtard
Musk wouldn't turn Twitter into a "bastion of free speech", it would be Musk's personal views of what free speech is.

Which is fine, if he owns it, do whatever he likes.

cdtm
Just because they can use your favorite n-word, doesn't mean it's a free speech absolutism.

You can still cross a line there. Just share some of your views there and observe your router exploding in front of you.

Isn't that just them using their free speech to drown out mine?

Unless you mean they actually ban you, which would surprise me for 99.9 percent of...

Scratch that, 100%. Forgot about some of the lolipalooza con they're known for.

Adam_PoE

cdtm
What liability comes from allowing, say, anti-vax posts?

That's just someones opinion, and Twitter is not a publisher. Flat earthers and moon hoaxers have always been with us without issue before these disinformation witch hunts.

Old Man Whirly!
He's only wealthy is the same way that Elizabeth Holmes was wealthy. Via the ridiculously inflated valuations of his companies. Most of his ideas have been complete trash. The Boring Company, Hyperloop, Starlink, Neuralink, Tesla Solar Roofs...none of them even come close to competing with their peers or are just not viable technologies. Bingo!Originally posted by jaden_2.0

He just brain farts too much crap out into the world that he has zero understanding of. Eventually he comes to a realisation and then allows other people to waste their money on his shitty ideas which is why he "open sourced" hyperloop. Because he finally realised that making vacuum tubes hundreds of miles long is just impossible. Bingo x2

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by DeadpoolXXX
the guy didn't become the richest person on the planet by doing shit for free.

Well said.

Then again, you have Gates, who needed to do a whole shitload of charity stuff before losing the top spot.

Never used Twitter, never plan too, so don't really care of Musk ends up owning it and turning it into some complete shitshow because he's read too many mean tweets and his fragile ego can't handle it.

But I would laugh if the douichebag isn't allowed to have the new toy he so sorely wants, on that merit alone.

Twitter is not a bad thing per se, it depends on who & how chooses to use it (looks at Orange Man).

Musk doesn't own 100% of it, no real change is gonna happen.

Robtard
Musk own 9% of Twitter, he's wants to buy the other 91% for 46.5bil, make it private and run it as he sees.

Didn't you get the memo? stick out tongue

StiltmanFTW
Cdtm wants to be sane. Not gonna happen, either.

cdtm

Depends on how committed his mysterious "partners" are.

No real reason it can't happen, if the money's there.

Robtard

I have mixed views, Musk has already said "final offer", only to come back with 3.5bil more. Twitter board members are largely against it, but money does have a way of changing minds and 46.5bil is a lot of money. Especially if he manages to liquidize another 3.5bil and up his offer.

Who knows, could all be some game from Musk to give his Teska stocks a bump, as it has. He's worth 5bil more on paper because of the offer.

StiltmanFTW
Unlike with Todd becoming sane, Musk buying twitter is *possible*, yes.

But he's also likely to lose interest with it soon - he's a rich boy playing with plenty of toys and always looking for new ones.

Robtard

But he's also likely to lose interest with it soon - he's a rich boy playing with plenty of toys and always looking for new ones.

Definitely possibility.

Wouldn't even be surprised if they end up saying yes to his offer and then he says "never mind".

cdtm

It could also be a Lex Luthor game.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7kwKFhW0AAXmi6.jpg

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Adventures-of-Superman-1987/Issue-454?id=29496#22

StiltmanFTW
Honestly, I can't say I'm not enjoying Elon's posting style laughing out loud

https://i.ibb.co/TmKByk4/emu.png

Siggyp

https://i.ibb.co/TmKByk4/emu.png You really are a bastard.

ares834
Twitter is an absolute shit show. I'm no fan of Musk, but I think it would be hard for him to make it worse than it already is. And I'm all for him opening it up as he claims, though it is doubtful that that would end up being the case.

ares834
And there is a disturbing tendency for online flash mobs to create an echo chamber of crackpot opinions.

Sounds like Twitter right now.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Siggyp
You really are a bastard.

That's why you love me, Martin.

ares834
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQ_LIpjVgAApdQ8?format=jpg&name=small

Siggyp

https://i.ibb.co/TmKByk4/emu.png You really are a bastard.

cdtm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7kwKFhW0AAXmi6.jpg

Just reposting to ask: Doesn't this make you want to smoke a cigar?

I LOVE the Post Crisis Lex cigar smoking scenes. The writer or artist must really like his smokes, the way they turn the simple act of lighting up into an event.

FnH
Why does Lex look like the new penguin

FnH
DONT BEE THAT GUIE

FnH

FnH

samhain
Anyway...

Darth Thor
I agree giving control to a single Billionaire isnt a viable solution.

Decentralised social media platforms built on blockchain technology is the only viable long term answer.

Blakemore
Originally posted by Darth Thor

Decentralised social media platforms built on blockchain technology is the only viable long term answer. but we live in a capitalist system...

ArtificialGlory

Decentralised social media platforms built on blockchain technology is the only viable long term answer.
You have to buy an NFT every time you want to make a post.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Blakemore
but we live in a capitalist system...

If Capitalism is about Billionaires controlling what we say and think then its time to be rid of it.

You have to buy an NFT every time you want to make a post.

Better than keeping your money in the bank tbh.

Old Man Whirly!
If Capitalism is about Billionaires controlling what we say and think then its time to be rid of it.

Better than keeping your money in the bank tbh. thumb up Time for some revolutions I think.

Blakemore
but they have all the money. \o,o/?

Old Man Whirly!
but they have all the money. \o,o/? Once the guillotine is set up in the squares that won't matter! shifty

cdtm

How would that even work?

I follow this one blogger who keeps talking about a corporate run government, and smart contracts for government functions, and a token to override the board members.

I don't get any of it, but I do know business and government ideally has very different goals. And that a cryptocurrency based government would likely give those who hoarded crypto control over government.

So another oligarchy, if not a corporatcracy.

Darth Thor
How would that even work?

I follow this one blogger who keeps talking about a corporate run government, and smart contracts for government functions, and a token to override the board members.

I don't get any of it, but I do know business and government ideally has very different goals. And that a cryptocurrency based government would likely give those who hoarded crypto control over government.

So another oligarchy, if not a corporatcracy.

If its decentralised then no single person or corporation controls it. There will be a ton of nodes distributed between those who want them. Then to get anything blocked or have new developments the majority of node holders would have to agree to it.

cdtm
If its decentralised then no single person or corporation controls it. There will be a ton of nodes distributed between those who want them. Then to get anything blocked or have new developments the majority of node holders would have to agree to it.

So an anarchy.

Why do we need crypto for this? Anarchists have been calling for such a system since before computers, and no one ever listened.

Darth Thor
So an anarchy.

Why do we need crypto for this? Anarchists have been calling for such a system since before computers, and no one ever listened.

Its decentralised. Not anarchy. We arent talking about running the country without a leader here. Just social media and YouTube type platforms belonging to the people.

Its blockchain technology that makes such a process feasible.

cdtm
Its decentralised. Not anarchy. We arent talking about running the country without a leader here. Just social media and YouTube type platforms belonging to the people.

Its blockchain technology that makes such a process feasible.

So wait, content gets moderated by majority rule?

It's an old canard, but lets say the majority happened to be Nazi's.

jaden_2.0
I say NFT Dudebros like Gary Vee should be president of the true NWO illuminati.

Impediment

jaden_2.0
Hope he unbans Trump

ArtificialGlory
Hope he unbans Trump
While banning Biden.

jaden_2.0
While banning Biden.

Whilst banning every other account on it.

Old Man Whirly!
Whilst banning every other account on it. laughing out loud thumb up On fire!

ArtificialGlory
Whilst banning every other account on it.
And renaming the whole platform to 'Trumper'.

Old Man Whirly!

Old Man Whirly!
And renaming the whole platform to 'Trumper'. likee thumb up

jaden_2.0
Imagine he left 2 accounts. Trump's and his own and every time Trump tweets, Elon replies with "I've got way more money than you" or "you'll never be as rich as me"

Old Man Whirly!
Imagine he left 2 accounts. Trump's and his own and every time Trump tweets, Elon replies with "I've got way more money than you" or "you'll never be as rich as me" That would be brilliant, imagine bigger. Imagine if he left Trumps all the women who have accused Trump of sexual molestation and Amber Heards.

ares834
Love it.

Seeing all the loons crying about it is hilarious. Best case scenario, Musk ****s up majorly and Twitter becomes irrelevant.

cdtm

cdtm

StiltmanFTW
Did you edit my title Imp? Come on, at least admit twatter is a better name than twitter. laughing out loud

Titter is better:

https://i.ibb.co/vk0YNsj/aogx4g-A-460s.jpg

ArtificialGlory
I can't read Max Boot without chuckling.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxBoot/status/1514570168730636290

The same Max Boot who works for Washington Post, who's motto is "Democracy dies in darkness".

He's essentially saying Democracy dies in the sun. laughing out loud
'Content moderation' in this case is a code word for censorship.

Darth Thor
So wait, content gets moderated by majority rule?

It's an old canard, but lets say the majority happened to be Nazi's.

Probably less chance of that than a single billionaire having his own bias.

cdtm
Probably less chance of that than a single billionaire having his own bias.

A bias against moderation would be a refreshing change from the biases of Jeff Bezos.

roughrider
Musk wouldn't turn Twitter into a "bastion of free speech", it would be Musk's personal views of what free speech is.

Which is fine, if he owns it, do whatever he likes.

I'm really concerned by his words, there. Like...
Did he buy Twitter for the sole purpose of reinstating Donald Trump to it?

Trump has struggled to get his message out since he got banned by both Twitter and Facebook. If Musk is complicit in giving this man a platform to continue his election lies and other things... mad

cdtm
Donald Trump has gotten plenty of press, and has his own very popular blog. And his packed rallies.

BruceSkywalker
Will there be more porn on Twitter should be the only question being answered.

Darth Thor
A bias against moderation would be a refreshing change from the biases of Jeff Bezos.

Bias is bias. And any bias on who can tweet will be back to square one. Except youll be more okay with whose banned and whose allowed.

Donald Trump has gotten plenty of press, and has his own very popular blog. And his packed rallies.

His blog? Lol

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by roughrider

Trump has struggled to get his message out since he got banned by both Twitter and Facebook. If Musk is complicit in giving this man a platform to continue his election lies and other things... mad White South African of a certain age and Trump...

cdtm
Bias is bias. And any bias on who can tweet will be back to square one. Except youll be more okay with whose banned and whose allowed.

His blog? Lol

Except we have that bias now. Musk is a lateral move at worst.

And at best no more moderation.

cdtm
https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1518677066325053441/photo/1

Oh shit oh shit, this is not good.

Read between the lines here, "authentic all humans".

Meaning no more anonymity. Meaning the feds get a list of all provocateurs.

This has never been about free speech, it's been about the federal Gestapo rounding people up in the dead of night and sending them to labs to have their personalities rewired.

Old Man Whirly!
https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1518677066325053441/photo/1

Oh shit oh shit, this is not good.

Read between the lines here, "authentic all humans".

Meaning no more anonymity. Meaning the feds get a list of all provocateurs.

This has never been about free speech, it's been about the federal Gestapo rounding people up in the dead of night and sending them to labs to have their personalities rewired. Fantastic, if he does it, great job Elon!

cdtm
Fantastic, if he does it, great job Elon!

I read the exact same plot in Transformers. Senator Proteus of Cybertron promised the Decepticons full political status if they could round up 10,000 signatures.

Then he intended to drag all 10,000 names to a network of underground facilities called "The Institute", where they literally rewire personalities in a lab.

You just know the US has something like that.

Bashar Teg
Fantastic, if he does it, great job Elon!

thumb up

Old Man Whirly!
Creamed my pants and double posted.

Old Man Whirly!
I read the exact same plot in Transformers. Senator Proteus of Cybertron promised the Decepticons full political status if they could round up 10,000 signatures.

Then he intended to drag all 10,000 names to a network of underground facilities called "The Institute", where they literally rewire personalities in a lab.

You just know the US has something like that. cd am I reading this right? You want to be rewired and made likeable?Originally posted by Bashar Teg
thumb up it's official rightists are flipping their shit over personal responsibility for what they say and do.

Impediment

Old Man Whirly!

Bashar Teg
it's official rightists are flipping their shit over personal responsibility for what they say and do.

yes

Robtard
Originally posted by roughrider

Trump has struggled to get his message out since he got banned by both Twitter and Facebook. If Musk is complicit in giving this man a platform to continue his election lies and other things... mad

Musk will definitely give Trump his Twitter back, Trump literally has a large cult following him and millions of users = $$$ for Twitter.

While taking Twitter private will offer Musk more power, there's still laws, legalities and laws allow people to be sued for what they say on social media. eg If Trump goes back on Twitter and gets his cult to attack people again, Twitter could be held liable in part.

Robtard
it's official rightists are flipping their shit over personal responsibility for what they say and do.

"Defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans." -Elon Musk

I'll believe it when I see it, but that would be a good start in improving Twitter, people having to stand by what they've said instead of hiding behind the anonymity of a screen, considering I keep hearing "new public square" regarding social media. Still not going to use it though.

Darth Thor
Except we have that bias now. Musk is a lateral move at worst.

Yeah thats true. Just dont see whats to celebrate here.

I guess rightists are just happy that Trump will likely be back on twitter. Although im sure his own staff and slightly more sane supporters found his constant insane tweeting embarrassing.

jaden_2.0
Presumably he'll have to rewrite the T&Cs before he can unban anyone. Might be a while in that case.

Adam_PoE

Adam_PoE

Adam_PoE
And at best no more moderation.

No moderation would make Twitter liable for any illegal activity that takes place on its platform. Musk is going to learn very quickly that his free speech absolutist pipe dream will not be possible within the framework of laws in every country in which Twitter operates.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
McDonald's is currently suing the Taylor Company who provides and services the ice cream machines. McDonald's has an exclusive contract with the Taylor Company, so they cannot purchase machines from other manufacturers, or hire other companies to service the machines. In their lawsuit, McDonald's alleges that the Taylor Company deliberately sabotages the machines to rack up services fees.

Wow.

Took them quite a while, after spending so many years as a meme material.

Robtard

ArtificialGlory

cdtm

Adam_PoE
Trump himself has being avoiding using Truth Social because it was an abortion from day one. This would be like the android Zuckerberg not using FaceBook, just a very bad look.

It's likely Twitter will just siphon more people away from Truth Social if Musk does a large unbanning sweep.

Can't see Truth Social going public, considering it's from the start dismal performance, something huge needs to change.

ergo, I look forward to Trump being sued after he tweets "Election. Was. Still. Stolen!" at 3:30am while sitting on the toilet trying to shit.

Trump is being required by the owners to start using Truth Social, or they are going to sue him.

Adam_PoE

ArtificialGlory
And none the size of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. And they all based in countries like the Phillipines, where there are no laws against hosting that content. The U.K. has much more restrictive speech laws than the U.S., and companies that want to operate there have to follow those laws. Sorry, but Twitter is not 8chan.
True, but it is based in the U.S.(where I think 4chan is also based), so I think Elon's Twitter could get away with dramatically reduced moderation if that's where he wants to take it. As far as the U.K., I really don't think they would have the balls or even the ability to realistically ban Twitter because people on there were tweeting no-no words.

EDIT: For example, I live in a EU country with anti-Nazi and anti-communist laws and I can access The Daily Stormer and websites promoting/glorifying communism just fine.

Robtard
4chan is in the US, but this is yet another situation where size matters. No one gives a shit about 4chan because it's comparatively small to the giants like FB and Twitter.

8chan is in the Philippines, run by the father and son duo behind Qanon. They've hosted child pornography on their site because they just don't care in that country.

ArtificialGlory
Size does matter, yes, but it matters both ways. Imagine banning 8chan or even 4chan and banning freaking Twitter.

cdtm
You see how they move the goal posts?

They justified censorship on the basis it is a private companies right to censor. Now, they're starting the cries for hate speech laws.

They'll make any argument to avoid mean words, but can't be assed to simply block those they hate.

Blakemore
I've rarely used twitter, but some people do a lot.

I think most people don't care and it's more of an elitist thing to appeal to teenagers. Unless you're a celebrity, you grow out of it.

This really isn't an issue and if it doesn't work for Musk, it'll be sidelined or taken over.

Robtard

They justified censorship on the basis it is a private companies right to censor. Now, they're starting the cries for hate speech laws.

They'll make any argument to avoid mean words, but can't be assed to simply block those they hate.

What are you ranting about now. My post had nothing to do with what should or shouldn't be censored.

Was that just about sad plea for attention?

cdtm
I've rarely used twitter, but some people do a lot.

I think most people don't care and it's more of an elitist thing to appeal to teenagers. Unless you're a celebrity, you grow out of it.

This really isn't an issue and if it doesn't work for Musk, it'll be sidelined or taken over.

He did mention a subscription model as opposed to an ad based one.

Not sure how many would actually pay for what is free elsewhere.

Adam_PoE

What goalposts?

The content moderation rules in place by social media companies are in place to comport with the laws in the countries in which they operate. They are not going to host content that makes them open to legal liability.

If the Phillipines wants to let 8chan host child pornography, that is on them. But no company operating in the U.S. will allow it. Hence, why Musk is going to learn very quickly that his free speech absolutist platform is a pipedream.

Old Man Whirly!
Twitter is twatter

NewGuy01
They justified censorship on the basis it is a private companies right to censor.
It still is. Doesn't mean they have to approve of the change in management.

Why are you acting like this is something new? You've been complaining about it for years.

So is this advice for someone without object permanence or what?

Darth Thor
Hence, why Musk is going to learn very quickly that his free speech absolutist platform is a pipedream.

Yup.

StiltmanFTW
Twitter is twatter

Musk: No, it's Titter!

Blakemore
So he's a t!t?

Edit: why is the word t i t censored?

cdtm
I can't believe they actually named it the "Disinformation Governance Board". Sounds like something SNL would cook up as a parody.

Even WaPo writers say its badly named.

Blakemore
it's*

If you want to be possessive, it's just "i t s" but if you wan't to make a contraction the it's "i t apostrophe s," scalawag.

Bashar Teg
it rubs the lotion on it's skin

Blakemore
Until it gets the hose again.

Old Man Whirly!
So he's a t!t?

Edit: why is the word t i t censored? no he's a ****!

cdtm
https://mobile.twitter.com/Julio_Rosas11/status/1520790249957429248? ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm
%5E1520790249957429248%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zerohedge.com%2Fmarkets%2Fpanicked-cnn-guest-wonders-how-were-going-control-channels-communications-country

Take it from an expert, you can take any number of mean words, slanders, or disinformation used against you.

It's called having a thick skin.

My personal measure of maturity is in how one handles a personal insult. Lot of leaders with more ego then maturity out there unfortunately.

Blakemore
no he's a ****! lol

Darth Thor

cdtm

cdtm
This is funny:

https://mobile.twitter.com/wiczipedia/status/1353723553754066947? ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm
%5E1353723553754066947%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdailystormer.cn%2Fcensorious-lo-latine-lo-cubane-says-not-aware-of-comrade-ninas-tiktok-videos%2F

Some double digit K people on Twitter are trolls? Well no shit! laughing out loud

A war on trolling has about as much of a chance of stopping trolling as the war on drugs did on stopping drugs. Good to see our government is consistent in picking their battles. laughing out loud

Robtard
If Musk wants to lesson trolling on Twitter, best thing to do is make it so only verified people/accounts can post. That will keep a lot of the garden variety trolls away who rely on being able to say shit and face zero backlash.

Which Musk mentioned he wanted to do, the verified accounts.

Darth Thor
Yeah actually.

Not to say people should just take insults with a smile either. But I just remember the kind of person who, if they asked for a favor and you said no, they'd appeal to your humanity and make you want to do that favor.

Not just yell at you in frustration, because you're not doing what they want.

And i use this example because I actually witnessed a father shaming his daughter about not eating her vegetables. Told her words like "I thought you were smart enough to behave. I guess I was wrong." She looked 8.

That guy could be managing other people, and he can't even treat his own daughter with respect. Ned Price treated AP reporter Matt Lee just like that man treated his daughter.

How this relates to Twitter and the Disinformation Board, is that the conversation feels like short fused assholes arguing with other short fused assholes. They don't understand how to handle criticism, they don't understand diplomacy, all they know it the stick and not the carrot.

That's how empires fall, my friend. Rome fell by in fighting.

Sorry I'm not feeling like you answered my question. Or maybe you did with the "yeah actually" but I'm not following.

Do you include Trump in the people you're complaining about who have thin skin?

cdtm
Sorry I'm not feeling like you answered my question. Or maybe you did with the "yeah actually" but I'm not following.

Do you include Trump in the people you're complaining about who have thin skin?

Trumps skin is so thin, it's transparent. That isn't orange skin, that's just what it looks like when you can see someones organs.

Darth Thor
Trumps skin is so thin, it's transparent. That isn't orange skin, that's just what it looks like when you can see someones organs.

thumb up

Blakemore
https://www.cnet.com/deals/amazon-prime-day-deals-under-25/?ftag=CAD-03-10aaj8j

Robtard
Twitter takes Elon Musk to court

Twitter has sued Elon Musk to compel him to buy the social media company for $44 billion - a deal the world's richest person said last week he was calling off.

The lawsuit, filed in Delaware's Court of Chancery on Tuesday, accuses Musk of hypocrisy and bad faith in his dealings with Twitter. It sets Twitter and Musk up for a lengthy, expensive and high-stakes battle in which a once-reluctant seller will try to force the hand of a now unwilling buyer. -snip

The Musk fanboys went full 'Rrrreeeeeee!' when Musk announced he was no longer interested in buying "saving" Twitter, now the fool's being sued.

Patient_Leech
The Musk fanboys went full 'Rrrreeeeeee!' when Musk announced he was no longer interested in buying "saving" Twitter, now the fool's being sued.

lol

Funny how this has turned into a giant clusterf#ck.

Patient_Leech
Musk: No, it's Titter!

Are you making fun of his accent? Shame shame..

S_W_LeGenD
This became ugly.

High profile lawyers want to profit again?

Robtard
More like Musk was playing assclown games again and now high profile lawyers are going to profit.

Old Man Whirly!
Well Musk has it now!

jaden_2.0
Makes zero difference to me. I don't use Twatter.

Old Man Whirly!
Makes zero difference to me. I don't use Twatter. Me neither but I live in tge same reality, with the people who use it, and are influenced by it.

jaden_2.0
Anyone who gets influenced by mongos on twitter deserves all the anger and misery they experience in their lives.

Darth Thor
Trump will be back on Twitter.

jaden_2.0
Probably not soon though as there would need to be a terms and conditions change implemented first.

Old Man Whirly!
Anyone who gets influenced by mongos on twitter deserves all the anger and misery they experience in their lives. but they impact our world, look at Jan 6th.

jaden_2.0
And now they exist in perpetual anger and misery while I go about my day with an unperturbed smile on my face.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>