The right up to their old tricks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Old Man Whirly!
Read to the end... It all becomes clear!

https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/23552

-Pr-
no expression

Old Man Whirly!

-Pr-

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by -Pr-
I saw that, yes. The right are spreading their agenda globally, many stalking and Trojan horses are there as they try and destroy basic decency. Controversially, I don't think disinformation is fake news.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
The right are spreading their agenda globally, many stalking and Trojan horses are there as they try and destroy basic decency. Controversially, I don't think disinformation is fake news.

I agree that there's a lot of insidious disinformation out there, yes.

Jordan Peterson, love him or hate him, is not the first person that comes to mind when I think of such things, though.

Old Man Whirly!
I agree that there's a lot of insidious disinformation out there, yes.

Jordan Peterson, love him or hate him, is not the first person that comes to mind when I think of such things, though. He's a gateway to the more extreme stuff.

cdtm
So is curating speech though.

1984 wasn't about an evil government. It was about the same slippery slope that exists from good intentions of silencing "gateways to radicalism".

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by cdtm

1984 wasn't about an evil government. It was about the same slippery slope that exists from good intentions of silencing "gateways to radicalism". Not really, it was about living under a totalitarian regime that monitored everything more than controlling the spread of fake news, radicalism and dangerous ideas. It was more about propagating far-right views. You didn't even get to Roe v Wade as love was outlawed... Sex crime 1984! Ahh, Julia... Orwell was talking about Trump etc. It's not unlike the Handmaids tale.

Robtard

1984 wasn't about an evil government. It was about the same slippery slope that exists from good intentions of silencing "gateways to radicalism".

*facepalms*

cdtm
Not really, it was about living under a totalitarian regime that monitored everything more than controlling the spread of fake news, radicalism and dangerous ideas. It was more about propagating far-right views. You didn't even get to Roe v Wade as love was outlawed... Sex crime 1984! Ahh, Julia... Orwell was talking about Trump etc. It's not unlike the Handmaids tale.

Credit where it's due, a good response. thumb up

-Pr-
He's a gateway to the more extreme stuff.

I disagree in general.

As loopy as I think the guy can be, I think it's a bit of a leap to go from that to radicalizing anyone.

Old Man Whirly!
I disagree in general.

As loopy as I think the guy can be, I think it's a bit of a leap to go from that to radicalizing anyone. you see, I think it runs something like this.

https://harvardpolitics.com/alt-right-pipeline/#

"My teenage mind could not keep up, and without any conscious understanding, I was cheering along with Jordan Peterson as he “destroyed” feminism and as “SJWs” were “owned” with “facts and logic.” Before I could think through what I had watched, I was onto the next video, and my internal understanding of the world became echoes of Louder with Crowder, the Daily Wire, and PragerU."

-Pr-
you see, I think it runs something like this.

https://harvardpolitics.com/alt-right-pipeline/#

"My teenage mind could not keep up, and without any conscious understanding, I was cheering along with Jordan Peterson as he “destroyed” feminism and as “SJWs” were “owned” with “facts and logic.” Before I could think through what I had watched, I was onto the next video, and my internal understanding of the world became echoes of Louder with Crowder, the Daily Wire, and PragerU."

I worry about anyone that leaps from Peterson to Crowder and sees that as being perfectly logical.

Crowder is a ****ing tool. I mean, Peterson has his moments too but damn.

Old Man Whirly!
I worry about anyone that leaps from Peterson to Crowder and sees that as being perfectly logical.

Crowder is a ****ing tool. I mean, Peterson has his moments too but damn. I've only ever watched bits of both. In my opinion, one is the soft candy of the alt-lite and the other the hard candy of the swivel-eyed loons.

Robtard
We saw those leaps here with a few members...

The Youtube algorithms also don't help from what I've heard people say when they went down the Far-Right rabbit hole.

cdtm
Originally posted by Robtard

The Youtube algorithms also don't help from what I've heard people say when they went down the Far-Right rabbit hole.

Surt? Lone Ranger?

I can't think of many..

Robtard
SilentMaster, Broly, DDM, Scribble,

Do we count several of Eon's socks as one?

-Pr-
I've only ever watched bits of both. In my opinion, one is the soft candy of the alt-lite and the other the hard candy of the swivel-eyed loons.

I only half-disagree this time, as I think Crowder is an abominable excuse for a human being. So I agree with that part.

Surt? Lone Ranger?

I can't think of many..

SilentMaster, Broly, DDM, Scribble,

Do we count several of Eon's socks as one?

Please don't use this or any other thread to talk shit about members of the board. "Celebrities" are fair game, but posters are different... assuming they haven't been banned. But even then.

Old Man Whirly!
I only half-disagree this time, as I think Crowder is an abominable excuse for a human being. So I agree with that part.

He truly is, I worry about Peterson though. Call me woke, but why does he care so much that some men feel more like women etc?

-Pr-
He truly is, I worry about Peterson though. Call me woke, but why does he care so much that some men feel more like women etc?

Are you talking about his issues with the law in Canada?

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call a transwoman a man, to be fair.

Old Man Whirly!

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call a transwoman a man, to be fair. lots of his stuff, his poor understanding of inheritance with his lobsters, his pronouns, dodgy "red meat" diet advice, why I tried for a while and my blood work went crazy etc. Guys a crank at best.

-Pr-
lots of his stuff, his poor understanding of inheritance with his lobsters, his pronouns, dodgy "red meat" diet advice, why I tried for a while and my blood work went crazy etc. Guys a crank at best.

I never said he was infallible. And I'm not going to argue with you calling him a crank. But I do think it's wrong to lump him in with people like Crowder and others of his ilk. He brings up things I actually think are good points that people don't take enough notice of.

I agree about the carnivore diet at least. There's a right way to do it and a wrong way. His way is ****ing wrong.

Old Man Whirly!
I never said he was infallible. And I'm not going to argue with you calling him a crank. But I do think it's wrong to lump him in with people like Crowder and others of his ilk. He brings up things I actually think are good points that people don't take enough notice of.

I agree about the carnivore diet at least. There's a right way to do it and a wrong way. His way is ****ing wrong. I don't lump him in with Crowder, his talk of macho male violence, women being prizes, leftists being snowflakes etc. Is much milder, but a narrative is still there.

cdtm

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call a transwoman a man, to be fair.

Careful, look what happened to Dave Chappelle. eek!

-Pr-
I don't lump him in with Crowder, his talk of macho male violence, women being prizes, leftists being snowflakes etc. Is much milder, but a narrative is still there.

I'm not sure I agree, sorry.

Careful, look what happened to Dave Chappelle. eek!

Which part? The attack? The dude who attacked him isn't doing so great.

Old Man Whirly!
I'm not sure I agree, sorry.

Which part? The attack? The dude who attacked him isn't doing so great. we agree to disagree, all good!

-Pr-
we agree to disagree, all good!

Sounds good to me.

I will admit I haven't seen every video he's made, so it's possible you've seen something I haven't. In which case, fair enough.

Robtard

Please don't use this or any other thread to talk shit about members of the board. "Celebrities" are fair game, but posters are different... assuming they haven't been banned. But even then.

Wasn't aware that noting something that happened was shit talking. Cool though.

-Pr-
Wasn't aware that noting something that happened was shit talking. Cool though.

This:

Comes across as anything but objective, tbh.

Robtard
I could literally post one of them saying as much, how they started out with Jordan Peterson videos another poster suggested and then the Youtube hole kept suggesting further and further Right talking heads and before they realized, their views had gone from Left to the weird side of the Right.

-Pr-
I could literally post one of them saying as much, how they started out with Jordan Peterson videos another poster suggested and then the Youtube hole kept suggesting further and further Right talking heads and before they realized, their views had gone from Left to the weird side of the Right.

I refuse to believe any of them were leftists in the first place.

Also, the less said about the shite that is youtube's suggestion algorithm the better.

Robtard
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=17453541& amp;highlight=peterson+userid%3A147703#post1745354

For politics and social views, YouTube is a shithole. Best to avoid.

-Pr-
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=17453541& amp;highlight=peterson+userid%3A147703#post1745354

For politics and social views, YouTube is a shithole. Best to avoid.

I never denied that places like youtube link Peterson with some weird shit. Hell, every time I even glimpse at a video of his that comes up, I immediately get hounded with videos about those alpha-chad wankers that tell you that you should be a high-value man and that all women are trash... which is not something Peterson said at all in the video I was watching about free speech or whatever.

Though he's not the only one, which again goes back to the failure of youtube. It's weird how that shit gets tied together.

Robtard
I assume the algorithm works, or a least in part, with what other people have viewed and click trends. So there's probably a lot of people who watch J Peterson and those alpha dudebros, and so the YT 'brain' makes the connections and sends it to others like you.

J Peterson probably has a lot of overlap with Tim Pool, Joe Rogan, Crowder and Tim Gionet viewers, to name a few.

-Pr-
I assume the algorithm works, or a least in part, with what other people have viewed and click trends. So there's probably a lot of people who watch J Peterson and those alpha dudebros, and so the YT 'brain' makes the connections and sends it to others like you.

J Peterson probably has a lot of overlap with Tim Pool, Joe Rogan, Crowder and Tim Gionet viewers, to name a few.

Oh, that's definitely part of it. The problem is that it skews all over the ****ing place.

Let's say I watch a video by someone like Peterson that talks about, say, free speech like I said. If you use enough of the right key words, even innocent ones, you invariably get massive amounts of crossover so it gets reinforced.

So you invariably get people getting recommended those videos together, even if one is "I think the government is pushing too far" and the other is "I should be allowed to say the N word as much as I want and I'm not black" when they are not remotely the same thing.

It's a cycle that constantly reinforces itself. Hell, you should see some of the filth I got recommended because I watched a Dave Chapelle clip.

Edit: I also now realise that under that criteria, yes, it would be a kind of gateway. ****ing google.

Adam_PoE
That is because the Alt-Right say this:

"I think the government is pushing too far"

As a racist dogwhistle for this:

"I should be allowed to say the N word as much as I want and I'm not black"

They refer to it as "not revealing their power level," so they can appear reasonable to "normies," as a means to "red pill," i.e. radicalize them into extremist rightwing beliefs.

And it all starts with figures and rhetoric that seem innocuous. But if you are being recommended more extremist content after viewing them, then it was never innocuous to begin with.

cdtm
So lets say many do mean that. So what then?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
That is because the Alt-Right say this:

As a racist dogwhistle for this:

They refer to it as "not revealing their power level," so they can appear reasonable to "normies," as a means to "red pill," i.e. radicalize them into extremist rightwing beliefs.

And it all starts with figures and rhetoric that seem innocuous. But if you are being recommended more extremist content after viewing them, then it was never innocuous to begin with.

I actually agree with you, to a point.

My issue is that how do you tell who is really just saying "I think the government is going too far" from the people that use it to, like you said, appear reasonable to the normies as a smokescreen. Because plenty of those people exist. Hell, I'm one of those people when it comes to certain things.

I mean, let's say you made a video listing off all your political opinions. Or I did. Guarantee you there would be one **** in the comments mislabelling us. And it would snowball from there. That's how this shit works in a lot of ways.

St333

St333
NwAaSXV8A2I

NewGuy01
My issue is that how do you tell who is really just saying "I think the government is going too far" from the people that use it to, like you said, appear reasonable to the normies as a smokescreen.
In the case of public figures like JP, looking at the audience is a good start. If you're unsure of what message is being sent, check what's being received.

Adam_PoE
I actually agree with you, to a point.

My issue is that how do you tell who is really just saying "I think the government is going too far" from the people that use it to, like you said, appear reasonable to the normies as a smokescreen. Because plenty of those people exist. Hell, I'm one of those people when it comes to certain things.

I mean, let's say you made a video listing off all your political opinions. Or I did. Guarantee you there would be one **** in the comments mislabelling us. And it would snowball from there. That's how this shit works in a lot of ways.

Birds of a feather flock together. Just look at the company they keep. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it is a ****ing duck.

ArtificialGlory
Much of what Jordan Peterson says is quite reasonable, but his problem is that he embraces the extremist part of his audience as much as the reasonable part of his audience.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by NewGuy01
In the case of public figures like JP, looking at the audience is a good start. If you're unsure of what message is being sent, check what's being received. Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Much of what Jordan Peterson says is quite reasonable, but his problem is that he embraces the extremist part of his audience as much as the reasonable part of his audience. thumb up Bingo x2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.