Joker: Folie a Deux

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Joker sequel has been announced...

https://deadline.com/2022/06/joker-sequel-todd-phillips-joaquin-phoenix-1235035806/

Patient_Leech

Impediment
Fixed the title.

Patient_Leech
Thanks, dogg.

riv6672

Ridley_Prime
Part of me wants them to shoehorn Murray in the sequel somehow, just off the good chemistry Phoenix and De Niro had.

Really have no idea what they'll do here though.

BruceSkywalker
the first was a vile piece of dogshit. it wasn't anything special. but wb discovery wants to try and make money

Nemesis X
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
the first was a vile piece of dogshit. it wasn't anything special. but wb discovery wants to try and make money

You called the Halo tv show good no expression

Impediment

Patient_Leech
The first is great as kind of an art house character study. And obviously a killer performance from Phoenix. It smartly included real life social issues like access to mental health care and such. Which is obviously a salient issue still.

I remember thinking at the end of the film there seemed like so much potential for more story, like the first film was just a set up for some real chaos.

Ridley_Prime
The main thing that kept me from giving the first one a 10/10 was the forced Bruce Wayne cameo appearance. The bastardization of Thomas Wayne was interesting though, but with the **** the rich angle they were going, it made sense.

Robtard
Enjoyed the first, but since they're not going to use Joaquin with Pattison's Batman, I see no point of this. As is, it's best as a standalone film.

Ridley_Prime
Like a good meme once said, childhood is when you idolize Batman, but adulthood is when you realize the Joker makes more sense.

Phoenix remaining separate from Pattinson is for the best though. I dont think they were ever gonna crossover.

Darth Thor
Was a good film. But was just a DC movie by name tbh.

But yeah there was more story to tell if they want to transition this into a more DC Joker.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Nemesis X
You called the Halo tv show good no expression

and what if i did???

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Plenty would argue that made it more interesting than the average capeflick.

I can understand wanting something more akin to typical DC Joker though, but if we're getting that in the Pattinson universe anyway which seems to be the case, then Phoenix Joker may as well remain its own elseworld thing. Joker will continue being milked one way or another, but this unique take on him at least gave a breath of fresh air for the character who people had otherwise gotten fatigued with.

Nemesis X
and what if i did???

"it wasn't anything special but wb discovery wants to try and make money"

Paramount: People like Game of Thrones still, right? What if we rip that off?

Ridley_Prime
Didn't realize at first, but Joker 2019 was set in 1981. Guess it's not surprising considering the kid Bruce Wayne, but didn't know there was a specific year for the movie's setting.

If this Joker and Pattinson's Batman were to collide, you would've probably needed to have an older looking Joker than Joaquin Phoenix with that said; so can see why they remained separate, especially if this Joker sequel also takes place in the 80's.

StiltmanFTW

Exactly.

But yeah there was more story to tell if they want to transition this into a more DC Joker.

Seemed like it was intended to be a one-shot story.

But since their other projects didn't do even 1% as well, it's no big surprise they want to milk this cow.

Same as they tried to do with Wonder Woman.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Nemesis X
"it wasn't anything special but wb discovery wants to try and make money"

Paramount: People like Game of Thrones still, right? What if we rip that off?

bud perhaps you need t go back t school and educate yourself. Its the job of any studio to make money or are you moronic enough t think otherwise

Nemesis X
bud perhaps you need t go back t school and educate yourself. Its the job of any studio to make money or are you moronic enough t think otherwise

And Paramount would've made more money if they had made it faithful to the source material, as any other successful adaptation has shown.

roughrider
I saw the first film and thought 'Well, it's well made and well acted, but so what? He's not the real Joker.' He's more like the guy who inspired the true Joker to rise decades later. He would be an old man by the time Bruce is trained and ready.

You can have different interpretations of the mythos, I get it. But one crucial thing is Joker's stance that he's not really insane; that something happened to him in his past that convinced him the world was insane instead, so the only true answer is anarchy and chaos. It's the source of his battle of wills with Batman, that people are inherently bad and anyone can fall.

Giving him a mental illness that he needs medication for in Joker, it's a crutch that changes things too much the wrong way.

Ridley_Prime
Well that's the thing, he lost access to his medication and everything. People's disregard for those less fortunate than themselves is exactly what creates someone like the Joker; a broken system that not only leaves the vulnerable to suffer without the resources they need, but creates its own monsters as a result.

Even before this film, that was what I always got from Joker with what I understood of his vague backstory, as a failed comedian and all.

StiltmanFTW
Most of the time, Joker is written either as insane or super-sane --- and from all evidence we have, this "super-sanity" of his is million times worse than the genuine insanity.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by roughrider
that something happened to him in his past that convinced him the world was insane instead, so the only true answer is anarchy and chaos. But that is literally mentally illness. You cannot be a sane, chemically balanced individual and actually believe some bullshit like this- not even to mention of course that most personality disorders do in fact stem from childhood trauma. The entire "bro Joker is totally sane he just... has a different perspective heh heh" stance is just bullshittium comic book writers came up with to try to elevate Joker above the saturday morning cartoon villain he's always been.

Patient_Leech
I've seen articles about Lady Gaga potentially playing Harley Quinn. Which is fine, I guess. But they say the film is going to be a musical??

oh lord.. facepalm

NemeBro
The sequel to Joker being a musical is one of the most incredibly badass things I've ever heard.

Ridley_Prime
That's if they manage to get Lady Gaga as Harley to begin with, who would be an amusing elseworld Harley. Nothing's set in stone, but the sequel will try hard to be artsy like the first one, regardless.

From what I've seen, some who loved the first film and was initially excited for a followup won't be on board with the sequel if it's a musical, while the people who either didn't like the first film or thought a sequel was unnecessary are more interested in said sequel now because of that. Like Joker himself, pure chaos. You love to see it.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

From what I've seen, some who loved the first film and was initially excited for a followup won't be on board with the sequel if it's a musical...

Yeah, it depends. If it's a funny dark comedy musical like South Park or Monty Python or something I could be on board, but otherwise I don't do musicals. Not serious musicals.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I don't do musicals. thumb down

What else could you expect from a Tool fan?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by NemeBro
thumb down

What else could you expect from a Tool fan?

I don't see the connection.

BruceSkywalker
I've seen articles about Lady Gaga potentially playing Harley Quinn. Which is fine, I guess. But they say the film is going to be a musical??

oh lord.. facepalm

she is,, this turd is now a musical

Patient_Leech
she is,, this turd is now a musical

I'll maintain somewhat of an open mind because I still hold Todd Phillips in pretty high esteem. So if it's a movie "with music in it" (something more like Blues Brothers, for example) then it could still be good. But if people sing dialogue most of the time forget about it..

Kazenji
I'll judge the film when it comes out with some footage, Lady Gaga could surprise everyone as Harley could be even better then Margot Robbie portrayal. Anything is possible these days.

Ridley_Prime
At the very least she should have a better first impression than what Margot Robbie had from the first Suicide Squad film which unlike Joker was almost universally panned. Robbie took time to grow on people, and even then, the newer SS was the only one I really liked her in beyond being eye candy.

The Harley comparisons may not be as one sided as the Phoenix > Leto talk though.

Patient_Leech
At the very least she should have a better first impression than what Margot Robbie had from the first Suicide Squad film which unlike Joker was almost universally panned. Robbie took time to grow on people, and even then, the newer SS was the only one I really liked her in beyond being eye candy.

Margot is hot, for sure, but I agree. She was good in Gunn's SS because she was better written and directed. But I still found her kind of annoying. But I think that's just the way the character is supposed to be.

Adam Grimes
It's the most boring concept out of everything the title could have implied but ok, let's see the execution.

Robtard
Musicals are hit/miss for me, like I still can enjoy The Sound of Music and Grease, while Les Miserables (2012) was unwatchable.

But this being a musical has so much more potential to be a complete shitshow than great, and I think there's no middle ground here, we'll either be blown away or be cringing all the way through. Will wait for a preview.

Ridley_Prime
xy8aJw1vYHo&rco=1

Ignore the titleless thread by Kazenji.

Kazenji

That's on KMC forum not me.

playa1258
Going to make loads of money.

MCUtards know this to be true.

Patient_Leech
^ lol

xy8aJw1vYHo&rco=1

Well, it's a good trailer. If it has musical numbers that's fine, but if it's largely singing dialogue and plot, then I'm out.

Impediment

Robtard
Looks good, but I have apprehensions over it being a musical.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Robtard
Looks good, but I have apprehensions over it being a musical.

I suggest warming up to it with Dancer in the Dark. It is tremendous and very dark (as you'd expect from Lars Von Trier)

Robtard
Over the years I've thought of watching that a few times but always found an excuse to do something else. But maybe, my wife is a lover of musicals. I'll DL it.

Impediment

Robtard
So a regular film and a couple scenes where Gaga can use her impressive vocal skills.

NGL, Gaga is one of those not classically good looking women, but I'd defo put it in her butt due to sexiness.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Kazenji
That's on KMC forum not me.

It's on you, as you've had almost a whole decade to get used to glitches caused by 2015 server move. It's not hard to avoid them.

Robtard
Have to give KMC credit for going through possibly the slowest and longest internet death of all.

StiltmanFTW
https://i.ibb.co/y4vfWtV/game-of-thrones-theon-greyjoy.gif

Patient_Leech

Impediment
Most likely the music scenes will be daydreams and/or psychosis.

Kazenji
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
It's on you, as you've had almost a whole decade to get used to glitches caused by 2015 server move. It's not hard to avoid them.

Go **** yourself with your excuses too for this shonky forum

and before you say, "Go to google and find it"...i used both the crappy kmc search and also went to google.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Kazenji
Go **** yourself with your excuses too for this shonky forum

and before you say, "Go to google and find it"...i used both the crappy kmc search and also went to google.

Excuses? It's just the way it has been since 2015, Kazie. Don't be intentionally obtuse, you kangaroo.

Any special characters (such as iOS apostrophes) or non-English letters (such as the French one in this movie title - that's what caused it, by the way) result in such errors.

Patient_Leech
Stilt. Get a life and stop picking on Kaz. Although I did laugh pretty hard at you calling him a kangaroo. laughing out loud

The search function sucks and the site is glitchy AF. I come across glitchy crap all the time just trying to quote people, edit posts, etc.

StiltmanFTW
It's not about the search function.

Patient_Leech
https://media.tenor.com/dL_yqC-GojIAAAAi/let-it-go-john.gif

StiltmanFTW
Never. It's an open season for kangaroos.

Also:

https://i.ibb.co/gFjzJT2/wccsL.gif

Patient_Leech
laughing out loud

steverules_2
Stilt. Get a life and stop picking on Kaz.

I'm partly trolling Kaz here

Patient_Leech
Oh yeah, I mean, I'm not above trolling Kaz sometimes. It's too easy to completely avoid. It had just gone on long enough.

Impediment
Get back on topic and stop the dick waving.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.