MCU: Hela vs. Gorr

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Fight takes place on neutral ground
Who wins

DeadpoolXXX
hela imo.

h1a8
Hela without question. She breaks his sword ftw.

BruceSkywalker
gorr coz he beds her

ShadowFyre
Hela

Impediment
Hela

Old Man Whirly!
Hela

FrothByte
I actually think this fight can be dangerous for Hela. I'm unsure if that necro sword can overcome her healing. If it can then she's in trouble.

Gorr can teleport, create shadow monsters and use shadow tentacles in battle. Hela can still win with a few direct shots of her swords of course, but think she has just as much chance to lose.

So 50/50 for me.

h1a8
Originally posted by FrothByte
I actually think this fight can be dangerous for Hela. I'm unsure if that necro sword can overcome her healing. If it can then she's in trouble.

Gorr can teleport, create shadow monsters and use shadow tentacles in battle. Hela can still win with a few direct shots of her swords of course, but think she has just as much chance to lose.

So 50/50 for me.

Didn't think of that. You make a great argument. Actually if Gorr fights smart (like he did in the beginning with the teleportation) then he wins.
Otherwise he loses.

Note: Hela can only win if she destroyes the sword or decaps Gorr. Otherwise Gorr has healing too. Plus the sword can kill God's (including Hela).

TheVaultDweller
Based on director's intent, Gorr (Waititi has said that Gorr > Hela). Based on screen feats, I'd lean towards Hela.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Based on director's intent, Gorr (Waititi has said that Gorr > Hela).

He did ? Thats odd. Given Thor was no match for Hela at all.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Darth Thor

https://screenrant.com/thor-love-thunder-gorr-ragnarok-hela-comparison/

The implication seems to be that L&T Thor is more powerful than he was back then, which does kind of make sense, I guess, as he gained mental strength during Endgame and got back into shape during L&T.

Also, Gorr potentially has a pretty crazy durability feat, depending on which way the ax blade was facing, in that he shrugged off a blow from Stormbreaker.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/a/uploads/original/11144/111444934/8583334-1c0c95b9-472f-4448-80b3-42de3d8ffabf.gif

It's difficult to see clearly though. If he got hit by the blade though, then it would make him significantly more durable than beings like Thanos, who got cleaved apart by the weapon. But it could also be that Thor hit him with the back, which is obviously a lot less impressive.

Darth Thor
^ Maybe his cloak has protective properties as well.

That said, not sure his comments confirm that about Gorr given the events of the film where Thor is lured to a place Gorr is more powerful.

On the other hand we never saw Hela go up against Stormbreaker which we know can impale Thanos.

Still hard to buy that power scale though.

TheVaultDweller
^ Maybe his cloak has protective properties as well.

That said, not sure his comments confirm that about Gorr given the events of the film where Thor is lured to a place Gorr is more powerful.

On the other hand we never saw Hela go up against Stormbreaker which we know can impale Thanos.

Still hard to buy that power scale though.

Well, that's why I still back Hela if we go strictly by feats.

Though, to be fair, Hela was also more powerful on Asgard, so it seems to be a theme with Taika. Have Thor fight the baddie in their seat of power. I guess one could interpret it as Gorr at his most powerful > Hela at her most powerful, and Thor fought them both under those circumstances.

Power scaling in the MCU has been a mess in more recent times though, and it only seems to be getting worse.

Darth Thor
^ Don't forget Thor is more powerful on Asgard too though. Plus there was Hela catching and crushing Mjolnir on Earth, not Asgard. Whereas Thor clearly seemed > Gorr on Earth (although technically that was New Asgard, and possible the power amp comes from being in the presence of Asgardains).

But yeah I agree there's a similar theme there for both villains.

TheVaultDweller
^ Don't forget Thor is more powerful on Asgard too though. Plus there was Hela catching and crushing Mjolnir on Earth, not Asgard. Whereas Thor clearly seemed > Gorr on Earth (although technically that was New Asgard, and possible the power amp comes from being in the presence of Asgardains).

But yeah I agree there's a similar theme there for both villains.

Well, according to Odin, Asgard is the people, not the place. So, I guess it depends on how you interpret that statement. But it's also worth considering whether people believe that the mental/psychological growth, as well as arguably being in the best shape he's been in throughout films, did increase Thor's power and strength in L&T. Gorr at his strongest was also pretty strong though. He actually resisted the pull of the Bifrost at one point.

Anyway, like I said in my initial post, if we go by what Taika said, then Gorr should win this. But if we look strictly at their showings against Thor and assume his power level between those films remained relatively constant, then Hela takes it.

Darth Thor
^ thumb up

Taika's comment there also seems a little promotional. Another reason I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

FrothByte

Technically, Thor would have killed Hela multiple times over if it wasn't for her healing.

FrothByte
I actually think Thor struggled more with Gorr than with Hela, though I'll need to rewatch L&T to confirm.

That said, I also felt like Thor was a lot more powerful in Ragnarok. He was basically a walking lightning storm there who was throwing around lightning fast enough to keep up with Hela's blade spam.

In L&T Thor basically went back to mostly being a melee brawler. I actually thought it was his 3rd lowest showing after Endgame and Thor TDW. He seemed to have better feats even in the first Thor and Avengers movies.

Darth Thor
^ I think the opening Thor plus Guardians battle scene in L&T was probably the best strength plus speed combo weve seen from him.

Also just for laughs though id note John Campea in his review complained Thor was too powerful in this !

FrothByte
^ I think the opening Thor plus Guardians battle scene in L&T was probably the best strength plus speed combo weve seen from him.

Also just for laughs though id note John Campea in his review complained Thor was too powerful in this !

That opening scene was so bad that I'm trying my best to forget it.

But yes, on a purely physical level that's the best we've seen from Thor... though I'd argue not in a good way. I felt like I was watching Zohan in space.

Anyway to my point, I don't deny he's a physical beast in this movie. It's his lack of lightning proficiency that's bothering me.

h1a8
Gorr has healing factor from stabs.
Gorr can only lose if decapitated.
Hela can lose by just being stabbed.

Gorr can teleport and use creatures to slow Hela down.
I lean towards Gorr.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.