MCU: King Valkyrie vs. Worthy Cap

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage

FrothByte
Valkyrie doesn't really have enough feats to give her a good argument for winning.

Cap wins in both rounds.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by FrothByte
Valkyrie doesn't really have enough feats to give her a good argument for winning.

Cap wins in both rounds.

She has massively better strength and durability showings than Cap.

Its Mjolnir Cap who lacks feats tbh. He didnt display anywhere near the kind of stuff Jane Thor did.

Psychotron
Why would he need to? They both have the same power - the power of Thor.

Darth Thor
So all those Kids in Love and Thunder had Thors strength as well ?

NotAllThatEvil2

Darth Thor
I suppose it might have been divided between them.

Darth Thor
FYI though, the kids and Cap didnt armour up like Jane did.

Feat wise what we saw from the former two was mainly lightning.

FrothByte
If Cap doesn't get Thor's strength and durability, Valkyrie wins.
If he does, then Cap wins.

Psychotron
Originally posted by Darth Thor
FYI though, the kids and Cap didnt armour up like Jane did.

Cap doesn't get the armor in the comics either, but he still gets Thor's strength.

So all those Kids in Love and Thunder had Thors strength as well ?

I thought that was because of Zeus' lightning bolt?

Robtard
MCU Thor's powers are inconsistent. We're told initially that Mjolnir is the source of his higher than Asgardian abilities, then they shit on that in Ragnarok by telling us Thor's always had the power inherently, that the hammer was just a focusing tool. "Are you Thor, the God of Hammers?" " -Odin Borson

Then we're back to the hammer being what bestows powers in End Game and Love and Thunder.

Having said that, Cap with Thor's strength, durability and abilities should win this.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Robtard
MCU Thor's powers are inconsistent.

Fixed that for you.

BruceSkywalker
Cap stomps.. nuff said end thread

FrothByte
MCU Thor's powers are inconsistent. We're told initially that Mjolnir is the source of his higher than Asgardian abilities, then they shit on that in Ragnarok by telling us Thor's always had the power inherently, that the hammer was just a focusing tool. "Are you Thor, the God of Hammers?" " -Odin Borson

Then we're back to the hammer being what bestows powers in End Game and Love and Thunder.

Having said that, Cap with Thor's strength, durability and abilities should win this.

This was weird for me. I could understand the Russo's messing up Thor's powers in Endgame because they didn't direct Ragnarok and were pretty infamous for their power inconsistencies, but Taika directed Ragnarok yet seemed to have thrown whatever character progression Thor got in that movie out the window.

Thor in L&T seemed to be incapable of summoning even the least amount of "sparkles" without either SB or Mjolnir.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Psychotron
Cap doesn't get the armor in the comics either, but he still gets Thor's strength.

Well we dont know if anyone gets Thors true strength in the movies simply by picking up Mjolnir. Even Jane, though clearly superhuman, hasnt shown shes stronger than Valkyrie, let alone Thor level.

Cap displayed no impressive strength at all. Him and Thor together couldnt force the Axe into Thanos. Cap didnt seem to make any difference when he joined in that struggle.

Honestly all Cap did was shoot lightning and throw Mjolnir. He didnt even fly. Heck not even leap.

I thought that was because of Zeus' lightning bolt?

Yeah but I dont think each one was literally Thor level strength.

Also Janes transformation was also different because not only was she worthy but Mjolnir had a protection incantation specifically for her.

Psychotron
Well we dont know if anyone gets Thors true strength in the movies simply by picking up Mjolnir. Even Jane, though clearly superhuman, hasnt shown shes stronger than Valkyrie, let alone Thor level.

Cap displayed no impressive strength at all. Him and Thor together couldnt force the Axe into Thanos. Cap didnt seem to make any difference when he joined in that struggle.

Honestly all Cap did was shoot lightning and throw Mjolnir. He didnt even fly. Heck not even leap.

Yeah but I dont think each one was literally Thor level strength.

Also Janes transformation was also different because not only was she worthy but Mjolnir had a protection incantation specifically for her.

Man, we've been through this. Worthy Steve knocked Thanos around. That's just not possible at his base strength levels. There's absolutely no reason to think that holding Mjolnir works any differently in the movies than in the comics, especially since Jane gets superhuman strength.

Steve and out-of-shape Thor being unable to overpower Thanos means nothing, he's physically stronger than Hulk who is > Thor physically.

ShadowFyre
Thanos never fought both Thor and Worthy Cap Darth.

He fought Thor and then worthy Cap. Thanos was barely forcing SB into Thor.

Darth Thor
Man, we've been through this. Worthy Steve knocked Thanos around. That's just not possible at his base strength levels.

Most his hits weren't doing much more than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc_3Gkz8Ydk

@2:40 - 2:42

where we KNOW he didn't have Thor's strength.

But There was one hit that floored Thanos here at 3:58:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jdmDmlB5cI

which you could argue wouldn't have been possible without massive strength upgrade. However that doesn't happen again (except with a Lightning strike), so could just be that Thanos wasn't braced for that hit shrug

Steve and out-of-shape Thor being unable to overpower Thanos means nothing, he's physically stronger than Hulk who is > Thor physically.

So how does it work? Does Steve get Out of Shape Thor's strength? Or In Shape Prime Thor's strength? Or Thor's strength at the time of the enchantment?

And were each of those kids as strong as Thor, or were they kid versions, so not as strong as adult Thor? Was Jane a female version, so not as strong as male Thor? Or was the strength divided between the kids?

This is why we go by On Screen Feats Only here.

Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Thanos never fought both Thor and Worthy Cap Darth.

He fought Thor and then worthy Cap. Thanos was barely forcing SB into Thor.

I meant when Cap jumped in here at 9:16:

Like literally made no difference at all to Thor's struggle. But realistically with a Second Thor jumping on there from behind, that should have been enough to immediately stab Thanos through the chest.

NotAllThatEvil2

I thought that was because Odin initially stripped Thor of his super powers and locked them in the hammer. Once they were unlocked, they went back to being generic or whatever

Psychotron
Most his hits weren't doing much more than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc_3Gkz8Ydk

@2:40 - 2:42

where we KNOW he didn't have Thor's strength.

But There was one hit that floored Thanos here at 3:58:

which you could argue wouldn't have been possible without massive strength upgrade. However that doesn't happen again (except with a Lightning strike), so could just be that Thanos wasn't braced for that hit shrug

So how does it work? Does Steve get Out of Shape Thor's strength? Or In Shape Prime Thor's strength? Or Thor's strength at the time of the enchantment?

And were each of those kids as strong as Thor, or were they kid versions, so not as strong as adult Thor? Was Jane a female version, so not as strong as male Thor? Or was the strength divided between the kids?

This is why we go by On Screen Feats Only here.

I meant when Cap jumped in here at 9:16:

Like literally made no difference at all to Thor's struggle. But realistically with a Second Thor jumping on there from behind, that should have been enough to immediately stab Thanos through the chest.

That punch is not comparable to the Worthy Cap's attacks. Thanos was getting physically rocked. He was grunting and was clearly feeling Steve's hits unlike those punches from Infinity War, which didn't even annoy him.

What we go by is Odin's enchantment. "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall posses the power of Thor." If you want to go deeper, you could make the argument that he was talking about Thor's power in Thor 1 because that's when he created the enchantment.

You'll notice that Thor was holding both Mjolnir and Stormbreaker when the Captain jumped in. Therefore, we can logically assume that Steve did not have Thor's power at that moment, just his own SSS strength, which wouldn't do much against Thanos.

FrothByte
So here's a question: Did Jane Foster's Thor ever do anything in the latest movie that showed her having Thor's strength or durability?

Robtard
She looked hot as f**k, does that count

FrothByte

Well it's certainly what I cared most about. Now if only Zeus could have flicked her and Val as too...

Darth Thor
So here's a question: Did Jane Foster's Thor ever do anything in the latest movie that showed her having Thor's strength or durability?

No but she's clearly superhumanly strong.

I don't recall there even being evidence that she's as strong as Valkyrie, but I'd have to re-watch.

Oh she suited being blonde.

Darth Thor
That punch is not comparable to the Worthy Cap's attacks. Thanos was getting physically rocked. He was grunting and was clearly feeling Steve's hits unlike those punches from Infinity War, which didn't even annoy him.

Honestly apart from that one hit that floored him (which I do find hard to argue against), I don't see much difference. I mean remember he is wielding Mjolnir here, which itself might hurt a bit more.

You'll notice that Thor was holding both Mjolnir and Stormbreaker when the Captain jumped in. Therefore, we can logically assume that Steve did not have Thor's power at that moment, just his own SSS strength, which wouldn't do much against Thanos.

Hey that's a fair point, it would also explain him getting KO'd easily, and taking multiple punches to knock out those putties. Meaning he has to literally hold it to have Thor level strength.

Psychotron
Honestly apart from that one hit that floored him (which I do find hard to argue against), I don't see much difference. I mean remember he is wielding Mjolnir here, which itself might hurt a bit more.

Hey that's a fair point, it would also explain him getting KO'd easily, and taking multiple punches to knock out those putties. Meaning he has to literally hold it to have Thor level strength.

Yeah, but without Thor strength, Mjolnir is just a hammer. It shouldn't affect a guy who can eat Hulk's best punches.

Indeed.

TheVaultDweller
Thor in L&T seemed to be incapable of summoning even the least amount of "sparkles" without either SB or Mjolnir.

Thor used lightning at multiple points without wielding either Mjolnir or Stormbreaker, most notably when he used that splits move to stop those two alien speeder craft things during the fight at the beginning and later to amp some of his melee attacks when he was fighting Zeus' soldiers. He didn't fire any lightning blasts without either weapon though, but then I think he only fired like two or three lightning blasts throughout the entire film, period. He seemed to prefer engaging in either CQC or throwing his weapon throughout most of the film.

TheVaultDweller

Yeah, it is all over the place at this point. To me, it seems more a case that someone who has mastery over the power of Thor i.e. Odin and current Thor, can imbue it into certain objects, either permanently or temporarily. Because Thor was able to temporarily give his powers to the children without anyone wielding either Mjolnir or Stormbreaker at the time.

Of course, this does not explain how Thor lost his powers in the first film, as he still should have had them even after they were also imbued into the hammer. Unless Odin put some kind of block on him that only broke once he became worthy of wielding Mjolnir again, but that's never established. Though, as I mentioned previously, he did use his lightning powers at multiple points in the film while not using either Mjolnir, Stormbreaker or Zeus' Thunderbolt.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Thor used lightning at multiple points without wielding either Mjolnir or Stormbreaker, most notably when he used that splits move to stop those two alien speeder craft things during the fight at the beginning and later to amp some of his melee attacks when he was fighting Zeus' soldiers. He didn't fire any lightning blasts without either weapon though, but then I think he only fired like two or three lightning blasts throughout the entire film, period. He seemed to prefer engaging in either CQC or throwing his weapon throughout most of the film.

Yeah Taika hasnt forgotten he can wield lightning without Mjolnir or Stormbreaker (would be odd if he forgot tbf). Its the Russsos who didnt seem to know that.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah Taika hasnt forgotten he can wield lightning without Mjolnir or Stormbreaker (would be odd if he forgot tbf). Its the Russsos who didnt seem to know that.

Well, he did also channel lightning and manipulate the weather to a degree at the start of the final battle in Endgame before calling both Mjolnir and Stormbreaker to him. So, even there he wasn't dependent on either weapon to use those powers.

XpeOIww_l4A

So, yeah, the writers can't seem to fully make up their mind. The best explanation I can think of is the one I mentioned in an earlier post but, as I said there, it doesn't explain Thor actually losing his powers in the first film.

FrothByte

Nah, he did forget. I just rewatched the movie, Thor only has very short bursts of lightning without Mjolnir or Stormbreaker (or Zeus' bolt) and he never throws actual lightning bolts. More like just jolts of electricity which are after effects of his physical actions. Nowhere near the kind of lightning storms he could generate in Ragnarok.

There were multiple times where Gorr had taken away his weapons and tied him up where it would have been extremely useful for him to have used his lightning.

Taika seems to have very little care for consistency either with Thor's powers or his personality and character development.

Darth Thor
Ive not rewatched it, I thought there was a scene where he powers up in lightning.

Strange given Taika made Ragnarok.

Russos defo acted like they didnt know. Thor seems completely powerless at the beginning of Infinity War, and only had that lightning small transformation in EndGame.

TheVaultDweller
Taika seems to have very little care for consistency either with Thor's powers or his personality and character development.

It isn't just Taika Waititi. It's a general problem the MCU has had in more recent times. A lot of PIS and power inconsistency throughout the various films and shows.

FrothByte
Ive not rewatched it, I thought there was a scene where he powers up in lightning.

Strange given Taika made Ragnarok.

Russos defo acted like they didnt know. Thor seems completely powerless at the beginning of Infinity War, and only had that lightning small transformation in EndGame.

Heck, in Ragnarok Korg was telling Thor about his mum and her boyfriend. In L&T he claimed to have two dads and implied that there were no female kroenans.

Taika doesn't really seem to care much about consistency within the MCU, even less than the Russos.

These are the times when I kinda miss someone like Whedon. The guy had his faults but he was at least a true comic fan instead of just a director hired to do a comicbook movie.

HulkIsHulk
Heck, in Ragnarok Korg was telling Thor about his mum and her boyfriend. In L&T he claimed to have two dads and implied that there were no female kroenans.

Taika doesn't really seem to care much about consistency within the MCU, even less than the Russos.

These are the times when I kinda miss someone like Whedon. The guy had his faults but he was at least a true comic fan instead of just a director hired to do a comicbook movie.

Yes he kept things consistent. Though had he continued, I believe he would have screwed up eventually if he had a character he was biased towards like Cap and Russos. Other than JL, Whedon is the guy who had Aquaman beat Namor by having a whale fall on him. He's could've atleast made it a giant squid or have Arthur just punch Namor out

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.