Who here can break out of this thick door?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HumbleServant
Who here can break out of this door. The door hinges are as strong as the door here

They can use any means

Cyborg
Aquaman
Ikaris
Wonder Woman
Shazam
Steppenwolf
Thor
Kurse (no black hole grenades)
Hulk
Thanos (no weapons)
Zod (only strength)
Superman (only strength)

https://www.reddit.com/r/BeAmazed/comments/wyzkjr/the_door_of_lawrence_livermore_national/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

FrothByte
All of them can eventually break out, the question is how long it takes then.

Psychotron
Superman, Zod, Thor, Thanos, Hulk and Kurse can definitely break it.

h1a8
So all they have to do is overpower the hinge mechanism and also be able to slide the door forward?

I don't see Cyclops, Ikaris, and WW doing it
Everyone else can but with varying degrees of difficulty.

Note: I'm assuming Shazam is a peer to Superman. But if we go by feats only then he doesn't either.

HumbleServant
Originally posted by h1a8
So all they have to do is overpower the hinge mechanism and also be able to slide the door forward?

I don't see Cyclops, Ikaris, and WW doing it
Everyone else can but with varying degrees of difficulty.

Note: I'm assuming Shazam is a peer to Superman. But if we go by feats only then he doesn't either. They have to break through the thick part of the door.

carthage
Bane will try to break through it and die in the process

h1a8
Originally posted by HumbleServant
They have to break through the thick part of the door.

So break through the door literally, assuming it is held by an infinite force (to prevent it from being pushed away)?

In that case, I don't see anyone here doing it. I'll check with some physicists on the matter. Watching videos of 200 ton hydraulic press, I noticed they can only manage to compress ball bearing steel to about 1inch and then fail to compress further (press failed). So imagine something 96in thick.

FrothByte
All of these characters are stronger than steel (some of them vastly so) which means they'll be able to eventually get through a steel door regardless of how thick it is.

Fastest ones to accomplish it would either be those with weapons (Thor, WW, Steppenwolf, Aquaman) or those with energy blasts (Ikaris, Cyborg). Those who only have barehands will come in last but they'll still get out.

It would be like asking how long Brock Lesnar can tear through an 8 foot block of styrofoam. Then asking how long it takes him if he had an axe or a welding torch with him.

Edit: Did not account for superspeed. That should give others an advantage.

h1a8
Originally posted by FrothByte
All of these characters are stronger than steel (some of them vastly so) which means they'll be able to eventually get through a steel door regardless of how thick it is.

Fastest ones to accomplish it would either be those with weapons (Thor, WW, Steppenwolf, Aquaman) or those with energy blasts (Ikaris, Cyborg). Those who only have barehands will come in last but they'll still get out.

It would be like asking how long Brock Lesnar can tear through an 8 foot block of styrofoam. Then asking how long it takes him if he had an axe or a welding torch with him.

Edit: Did not account for superspeed. That should give others an advantage.

You fail to understand my post. A hydraulic press is stronger than steel. Yet it fails to compress a 2in diameter ball bearing any further after 1in.

The more you compress something then the more durable it becomes.

Based off the OP's stipulations, they have to break through the door. That means they have to push through it (causing it to compress).

Humans are stronger than paper (we can easily rip it with almost no effort). But try to rip or puncture 50 sheets of paper. See the difference.

Lastly steel is not like Styrofoam to any of these characters. It is much stronger and more Malleable than that to them. It will bend (compress) before it would break or tear.

h1a8
Cyclops and Ikaris is not doing anything to the door with their blasts. Not even a scratch.

Robtard
Magneto could do it faster than anyone on that list thumb up

FrothByte

h1a8

NemeBro
You punch it and knock a slab of steel off and do this until you get through. You don't need to compress it when you can break it.

Most or all of them can eventually get through. Some, like Thor, Hulk, and Superman, can probably do it in one blow.

h1a8
Originally posted by NemeBro
You punch it and knock a slab of steel off and do this until you get through. You don't need to compress it when you can break it.

Most or all of them can eventually get through. Some, like Thor, Hulk, and Superman, can probably do it in one blow.

It's not made out of slabs but one solid piece of metal. A punch will create a dent. The area of the dent would be far more durable than before.

Wait, what feat does Thor, Superman, and Hulk have to say they can punch through an 8ft thick steel door in one blow?

Robtard
H1 doesn't understand that steel can be torn and ripped, especially when force is applied in an instance as say with a punch or kick.

You also don't need to be stronger than steel to rip through it, eg ice isn't stronger than steel, but ice can rip through the steel hull of ships because the steel reaches a limit and can no longer support the weight (of ice) being pushed against it.

#science

Old Man Whirly!
H1 is a great troll... laughing out loud

Old Man Whirly!
Heat vision literally melts it. A river of steel, if you will mhmm

FrothByte
How are they going the tear a solid door? There is nothing to grip. The moment they compress the steel it becomes astronomically more durable. We don't know how much more durable the weapons are in comparison to steel. They could be 3x more durable for all we know. That's still not enough to prevent them from being mangled after awhile.

The same way I tear through a solid block of styrofoam. I dig my fingers in and start tearing chunks of it off.

h1a8
Originally posted by Robtard
H1 doesn't understand that steel can be torn and ripped, especially when force is applied in an instance as say with a punch or kick.

You also don't need to be stronger than steel to rip through it, eg ice isn't stronger than steel, but ice can rip through the steel hull of ships because the steel reaches a limit and can no longer support the weight (of ice) being pushed against it.

#science

Steel will deform before breaking. It's highly malleable.
You can't break steel by denting it in less than its thickness. A punch or kick to the door will simply dent the steel, not break it.

Ice has variable durability. Ice can be stronger than steel if cold enough.

h1a8
The same way I tear through a solid block of styrofoam. I dig my fingers in and start tearing chunks of it off.

The moment you press into the steel (or compress it) it becomes astronomically more durable.

Styrofoam is more brittle than steel. Steel will bend much more before breaking.

I'm not saying that steel that thick is indestructible. But it takes way more force than you think. Magnitudes more force than just a 1in wall of steel.

h1a8
You break the steel far easier by pulling it apart (thinning it out), not by compressing it. Weapons here can definitely damage the door. But how much before they become mangled and not usable?

Psychotron
h1a8 thinks a lorry colliding with a steel bank vault door will make it more durable.

h1a8
Originally posted by Psychotron
h1a8 thinks a lorry colliding with a steel bank vault door will make it more durable.
The OP forbids breaking through by the hinges. The characters have to go straight through the door, literally.

Denting a steel bank vault door, assuming it is solid steel, will make it more durable.

Look at a hydraulic press video where a 200 ton press tries to flatten a steal ball bearing. The bearing compresses an inch (200 tons is sufficient) then fails to compress any more after that inch. Therefore it is harder to compress the compressed steel (I.e it's more durable).

FrothByte
The moment you press into the steel (or compress it) it becomes astronomically more durable.

Styrofoam is more brittle than steel. Steel will bend much more before breaking.

I'm not saying that steel that thick is indestructible. But it takes way more force than you think. Magnitudes more force than just a 1in wall of steel.

What part of "tearing chunks of steel off" do you not understand?

We're not talking about the characters trying to flatten the steel door into a pancake.

h1a8
What part of "tearing chunks of steel off" do you not understand?

We're not talking about the characters trying to flatten the steel door into a pancake. They would have to grab a chunk in order to rip it out. How would they do that?

jaden_2.0
I'll check with some physicists on the matter.

Lulz

FrothByte
They would have to grab a chunk in order to rip it out. How would they do that?

By grabbing a chunk of steel and ripping it out. You know, like how a good number of these characters have shown to be able to do in their movies.

h1a8
By grabbing a chunk of steel and ripping it out. You know, like how a good number of these characters have shown to be able to do in their movies.

But how? The door is flat. There is nothing to grab.

Do you know the mechanics of trying to grab a chunk from an 8ft steel thick flat door?

Let's look at it in slow motion.
A character presses into the steel with their fingers. The steel gets astronomically more tougher the deeper they press in.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.