A new rendition of the Sidious/Yoda battle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sheev
A canon retelling of their battle in ROTS.

Not only does this once again reiterate that they were pretty much equal in every area (both were exhausted by the end), but there is NO mention of Yoda "disarming" Sidious at any point in the battle.

They were "well matched" in sabers. Yoda then dealt a "hard blow" to Sidious, which caused him to leap away from the podium and begin hurling Senate pods. That's it.

juggernaut74
I've been saying this forever. This is exactly what is shown on screen.

Eli Vanto
I used to have Yoda at slightly above Sidious in sabers, because some legends sources mentioned the disarming thing. Does seem like new canon has retconned that though. I guess the "hard blow" that forced Sidious to move away from the podium might indicate that Yoda was slightly better, but it's definitely not as conclusive. Calling them equal in sabers is more fitting.

I also used to have Sidious at slightly above Yoda in the Force. But now it seems like canon has them equally matched there also, because they both emptied their tanks during the final lightning exchange (Sidious to fire the lightning, and Yoda to block it.)

Galan007
^ Putting RotS Palpatine and RotS Yoda as equals across the board sounds about right, given this novel's description of their battle. If there was any sort of difference between them(in either sabers or the Force), it was negligible.

Anyway, I particularly enjoyed the bit where Yoda's spirit appeared to Palpatine shortly after his death in RotJ:

Also found it interesting how Yoda's spirit was sensed/perceived by Palpatine:

Total Warrior
Maybe the "hard blow" is what disarmed Sidious, Anyway yeah, they look pretty much evenly matched

Darth Thor
^ Yeah the Hard Blow that had Sidious back away leaves room for it. I would note theres also no mention of Sidious disarming Yoda (not even a hint), but we know it happened.

Anyway so much for all the quotes putting ROTS Sidious above Yoda over the years. In the end its just what the movie showed, a stalemate in terms of combat, but with Yoda fleeing/losing in the end due to circumstance. His failure was that he was unable to kill Sidious, which is what he needed for a win in that battle.

relentless1
the film always showed that Sidious struggled in sabers with Yoda but Yoda struggled to keep up with Sidious in the Force so same same between those two ive always thought 🤷🏽

Darth Thor
Originally posted by relentless1
the film always showed that Sidious struggled in sabers with Yoda but Yoda struggled to keep up with Sidious in the Force so same same between those two ive always thought 🤷🏽

Yeah I still think probably edge to Yoda in Sabers and edge to Sidious in the Force. But overall pretty evenly matched. Just as the movie portrayed.

juggernaut74
Is there any Darth Maul and Dooku stuff in this book?

It sounds interesting

Galan007
^ There's a Maul chapter. Aside from him fangirling over Palpatine a bit, there's nothing too relevant. It's still a pretty good chapter though.

Very few references are made about Dooku. Nothing too noteworthy, at least.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Sheev

Not only does this once again reiterate that they were pretty much equal in every area (both were exhausted by the end), but there is NO mention of Yoda "disarming" Sidious at any point in the battle.

They were "well matched" in sabers. Yoda then dealt a "hard blow" to Sidious, which caused him to leap away from the podium and begin hurling Senate pods. That's it.

Sidious fanbois trying so hard to prove that Yoda didn't dunk on their favorite character and lose to a ring out.

So sad.

Sheev
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Sidious fanbois trying so hard to prove that Yoda didn't dunk on their favorite character and lose to a ring out.

So sad. Well in canon at least he..... Didn't. At least not as conclusively as in Legends.

In this telling Sidious was never disarmed in sabers, and they were pretty much equal in the force.

ozz81
Well in canon at least he..... Didn't. At least not as conclusively as in Legends.

In this telling Sidious was never disarmed in sabers, and they were pretty much equal in the force.

Yes so true that .. I always thought that he never got disarmed by yoda as even the movie didnt show it.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by ozz81
Yes so true that .. I always thought that he never got disarmed by yoda as even the movie didnt show it.

Movie doesnt show the whole fight. And doesnt show if Sidious put his saber away voluntarily or not. But does show he stops using it.

So the script was always congruent with the film. CG graphics of the missing scene also showed the same thing.

But I think in Disney canon theres an animated short which shows he still had his saber.

IF Sidious still had his saber, then he absolutely won the battle, as he disarmed Yoda. BUT If Sidious was also disarmed earlier then battle was a virtual stalemate, and Yoda lost right at the end due to circumstances only (nothing to grab hold of after the force blast).

So battle was either a stalemate (with a circumstantial loss for Yoda) or it favoured Sidious. But theres no real way to interpret it to say that Yoda won or was overall superior.

Freedon Nadd
Seems Yoda really flipped him off here.

McP

The you quoted the whole part, and if I 'm not blind, then it means nothing i ncase of disarming. After all, there is no a single word about Yoda being disarmed as well. So if it doesn't tell it about Yoda's saber , then it might not tell about Sidious' as well.

Trocity
LMFAO that cannot be a Canon retelling. That reads like some nerd's fanfiction.

"Yoda's ridiculously little lightsaber"
"The angry red fills him with eager cruelty, and he laughs"
"The little jedi master is fast and bouncy"

LOL that is f***ing dogshit writing. I haven't read a star wars book in years, were they seriously this poorly written?

Stealth Moose
Well in canon at least he..... Didn't. At least not as conclusively as in Legends.

You're being obtuse. Yoda outclassed Sids in sabers and the force, and lost to a ring out, which is about as lucky as it gets for someone being spanked.

Cope harder.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.