The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Well I had no idea this was in the works.

I admit I kind of wish it was a live-action re-do of the 90s version.. lol.

But at least I'm pretty sure my kids will love this.

9X2251IuWp0

Ridley_Prime
Jack Black seems pretty fun as Bowser as expected, but Chris Pratt as Mario is as miscast as they come. If Pratt is the weakest link though and the other cast are pretty on point with their characters, this still has the potential to be decent.

Just mostly off put by how films like this nowadays rely more on star power than a voice actor that has the range to play certain characters. Jack Black has plenty VA experience, with this being a real attempt at Bowser, while Mario is just Chris Pratt playing Chris Pratt.

Nemesis X
Watch it in French if you want to listen to a real Mario voice.

https://twitter.com/YongYea/status/1578128716835696640

Kazenji
^ Yeah that voice actor sounds alot better then Chris Pratt.

cdtm
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Well I had no idea this was in the works.

I admit I kind of wish it was a live-action re-do of the 90s version.. lol.

But at least I'm pretty sure my kids will love this.

9X2251IuWp0

I mean, you just can't improve on perfection. 🐸

ares834
Holy shit! I'm shocked. This looks legitimately great. The animation is fantastic. As are the designs.

Not sold on Chris Pratt yet, but that may simply be because I'm too used to the iconic Mario voice.

BruceSkywalker
gonna pass

riv6672

playa1258
This will make assloads of money.

Disney will be pissed.

Kazenji
Couldn't see why they couldn't of gotten Charles Martinet for Mario, But apparently i hear he's okay with the change of voice actor.

Nemesis X
Of course he'll say he's okay with it. Wouldn't wanna compromise his position as Mario in the games. Chris Pratt is Hollywood & Nintendo's decision together, they have this idea movie audiences never care who plays who, it's y'all which is dumb here because Mario is about as timeless as Mickey Mouse. Everyone by now knows how he sounds.

If nothing else, they could pay Chris' contract in full and replace his voice with the French Mario actor's.

cdtm
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
gonna pass

Can't see it topping the awesome Sonic movies?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Of course he'll say he's okay with it. Wouldn't wanna compromise his position as Mario in the games. Chris Pratt is Hollywood & Nintendo's decision together, they have this idea movie audiences never care who plays who, it's y'all which is dumb here because Mario is about as timeless as Mickey Mouse. Everyone by now knows how he sounds.

If nothing else, they could pay Chris' contract in full and replace his voice with the French Mario actor's.

Well yeah...of course its Hollywood. They don't who care who's been voicing said character for so many years

they're only going for the razzle dazzle actor's who would be good for the character's.

Impediment

ares834
Good point. There's a reason the games just have grunt or throw out the occasional catch phrase.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by playa1258
This will make assloads of money.

Disney will be pissed.

Yeah, my kids saw me watching the trailer and their eyes just about popped out of the heads. My son said, "I LOVE THIS MOVIE!"

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by cdtm
Can't see it topping the awesome Sonic movies?
Or he just liked how "mature" Paramount Halo was but found Mario too kiddy? It getting a 2nd season by the way is atrocious. Any other show adaptation that bad would've been cancelled after the first season, but there must've been a contract for Halo to have two seasons to begin with.

Far as the Sonic movies, the nods they have to the games are fun and are good for video game films, but the need to shoehorn in the random human family and stuff still holds them back as an accurate adaptation... Which honestly is one thing this Mario has going for him, so far.

If this film is by chance better than even Sonic 1, Sonic fans won't accept or admit it of course. This film will make lots of money regardless though; Illumination films usually have, despite being shit before, but I hope this one actually has consistent quality to it. The trailer seemed promising for the most part, so one can hope.

Originally posted by ares834
Good point. There's a reason the games just have grunt or throw out the occasional catch phrase.
They still could've had an Italian actor at least like they did for Luigi here. Pratt was chosen simply because he would be a big name to have as the lead, not because he would be a good fit.

Impediment

ares834
thumb up

This looks like it will be a lot of fun.

riv6672
Ha! That looks great!

Patient_Leech
Will enjoy watching this with my kids.

They will probably love it and I am somewhat nostalgic for it.

riv6672

Estacado
The reviews praise this movie cant wait to see it...

Estacado
This was pretty good.

Impediment

playa1258
Lots of fun. Much better than the piles of shit Shazam 2 and Ant Man 3.

Estacado

Patient_Leech
Interesting.

Reviews are mediocre, but audiences still seem to be loving it.

That's not too unexpected.

Patient_Leech
I could have gone my whole life without hearing Seth Rogan's laugh...

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1962984473/?listId=ls053181649&ref_=hm_hp_i_hero-video-2_2

Makes me very uncomfortable. Does he have a condition of some sort?

Impediment

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I could have gone my whole life without hearing Seth Rogan's laugh...

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1962984473/?listId=ls053181649&ref_=hm_hp_i_hero-video-2_2

Makes me very uncomfortable. Does he have a condition of some sort?

Isn't that his interpretation of Donkey Kong, rather than his natural laugh?

That's what the video is all about, Leech stick out tongue

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Isn't that his interpretation of Donkey Kong, rather than his natural laugh?

That's what the video is all about, Leech stick out tongue

I don't know. I hope you're right. Otherwise he SCERRY!

BruceSkywalker
gonna see/watch in the next week or so

kevdude

Patient_Leech
Watched this with the kids and they liked it. So that was good.

I thought the writing was mediocre at best, but I guess they did about the best they could with the subject matter.

While I really don't give much of a shit about Chris Pratt playing Mario (I mean, I actually like him and think he's charismatic and fun), but I think I actually would have preferred a John Leguizamo or someone like that (it would have been cool to bring him back as either Mario or Luigi). Charlie Day was cool, though. Chris Pratt is fine, but his charisma is sort of wasted on this particular role and writing, AND jeezus, let someone else have a giant billion dollar blockbuster for f#ck's sakes.

But it was reasonably energetic and entertaining. Jack Black was well cast.

7/10

Robtard
Watched it with my son last week, I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.