Animatrix Discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Skittles19
hey, this is for people who've seen the animatrix and would like to discuss it...

So, what did you think about it?
likes/dislike?

Senor_Pessoba
Overall I thought it was great...the animation is so good...my favorites would have to be Osiris, The Second Renaissance I and II, Detective Story, Matriculated, and Beyond...they are a great compainion set to the matrix..im happy to own it

diegocala
I really enjoyed them, they are great...good suplimental info

Ushgarak
As I have mentioned here before, I hate the unoriginal contrived crud that is Second Renaissance. But I don't feel like talking about it all over again; read the older threads.

Skittles19
I found the 2nd renaissance to be fairly disturbing, but other than that the animatrix wasn't too bad...

beyond was visually beautiful and the others offered decent insights into the movies smile

but enough w/ the scantily dressed girls... please

Skittles19
Ushgarek-- you can close this thread... I didn't realise it was a *previously covered subject*

my bad

Metroplex
I saw the detctive story on the killermovies website. ITs really good, but i just want to know how old is Trinity??? The detective story took place around the 1930-1950s if im correct.

film nut
i think that final flight of the osiris was amazing, and the graphics were brilliant. the second renaissance was very boring, and the rest were okay. Does anyone know if there will be another animatrix to coincide with the revolutions cinema release?

Sifer
Well Ushgarak, if you watch the documentaries and special features from the Animatrix then you will realise why the guy chose to use real history and real events as influences and images seen within the animation. Quite clever really.

But if you think that is unoriginal then...so is the Matrix because that was created through many different anime movies, comics, live-action movies as their inspiration. Watch the anime series Cowboy Bebop and the Manga movie Ghost in the Shell to see what I mean smile

Ushgarak
Matrix was packaged with new execution and thought that made it far more than the sum of its parts.

2nd Renaissance was the simple inferior of other identical ideas that have come before it.

Altar[1stONE]
The only one i cant stand and will continue to hate with a passion is "Beyond" . I hate that stupid girl , and i think that whole story is pointless. No offence i cant stand the other ugly ass asian cartoon kids , they seem anoying and i would love to kick their ass. Hhahaha just wanted to give you my input. laughing out loud

Skittles19
hmmm.. I can see what you meant about the kids.. but I thought that *beyond* was visually the prettiest of them all....

I disliked osiris.. because all I could imagine was a bunch of computer geeks sitting around their computers saying... and now we make the hot chick we created lose her clothes... and jump around... ah, if only we knew a girl like that...

no offence...

( and yes I realise the time and skill it takes to make a short film like that)

that's my opinion...
I really liked the kid's story one.. I love his character.. it's very unique

and.. I have a question... what the heck was matriculated about?
the ending was sooo weird

nopy
Osiris was the best, I didnt really like the others, The rennasainse films were sort of ok for filling in a few plot questions.

That ones with the sprinter and the robot brainwashing were really weird

freemind
Osiris had great graphics. The second renaisance answered some plot questions. Was that kid in kids story the one that bothers neo in matrix 2?And i liked world record.

Dexx
Phew...i have FINALLY seen them all today...bought the cd smile
osiris idd has the best graphics and is one of the best in the 9. i couldn't dislike it because of jue's looks, now could i stick out tongue

the plot in the second renaissance was i=truly a bit childish....A LOT more could have been done with just a bit more mind storming....really, that plot is kiddish.

i LOVED 'world record'. 'kid story' has the worst graphics.....it's nice to see how that kid's explained in the movie though.
beyond's weird....

AliasNeo15
wut was with the animation on "Kid's Story?"

Skittles19
I think they were playing around w/ different styles of animation... actually the animation for kid's story was very difficult to create.. they wanted to give it a very hand-drawn look...
we're just not used to that sort of animation... so that's why it seems icky to us

AliasNeo15
I liked the story though

Dexx
i know it's difficult to create, skittles...i just don't like how it turned out. it seems too sketchy.

And i really didn't like the kid outrunning agents (lots of them) on a bloody skateboard.

Seraph
i like them very much. the soundtrack is very good and they show exiting new details. i liked "detectiv story" and "the fial flight of the osiris" most.

Skittles19
I kind of agree dexx... the result wasn't a very fun to watch form of animation.... I really liked the story of the kid tho :P

AliasNeo15
Did they mean to make skate-board all crazy, like he was moving so fast that u couldnt really even see him?

Sifer
The animation in "A Kid Story" is amazing. I don't know what some of you guys are smoking, but I don't want any...LOL

Skittles19
well, actually we smoke a certain kind of... ah never mind....
I guess the whether the animation is good or bad is just a personal preference smile

Sifer
I should have added...I will stick to my we----errrr smile

AliasNeo15
what kind of Anime was: Final Flight of the Osiris?

SpikeSpiegel
In Kids story I understand that the kid killed himself and freed himself from the real world but how did the Neb know where to find him in the real world he never ate a tracing pill so how could they find his location?

Dexx
the pill is to pinpoint him while in the matrix, even if he would have eaten it...he's not REALLy eating in real life....i think it's not that difficult to find them normally in the real world, after they free them. They should just have a number each, no?

another thing...the dumbest thing...in the second renaissance, when the people send nuclears over the machines, they say that machines aren't affected by radiations as the human flesh is. But it's silly because we all know that any electrical system falls when exposed to radiations....especially those digital stuff they have in them.

Skittles19
hmmm... I don't think they cared to much about scientific detail...stick out tongue

Sifer
Hrmmm I am sure the EMP only happens when in the upper atmosphere.

Ushgarak
Gosh no, a nuclear blast at ground level would wipe out electronics for miles around. I think. But never mind. I am still hopeful that 2nd Renaissance is a false story anyway (being, as it is, part of the Zion archives and so could easily be info planted by the machines)

Dexx
but why would they do it? they don't turn out too bright from that history part...what would the advantage be?

Ushgarak
Because it makes the humans look like the aggressors. Maybe there is some value in giving the humans a guilt complex.

Dexx
dunno...doesn't sound too concrete...It might JUST be a bad written story

Ushgarak
I know, I know... (cries)

nEo1266
Yeah the brain crusin robot b166er or somtin

Skittles19
blech
I've never been so grossed out by a cartoon

zoomonkey
its true. a nuclear bomb blast emitts an EMP, just like the hovercraft. so how could the humans lose? if they nuked the crap out of Zero One all the machines would be incapacitated, that is if they weren't destroyed by the blast wave or fire wave. i really didn't like the story of renossaunce part 2. full of inconsistencies explained with coincidences. its just a story, but still a story based around known facts in reallity and within the story. can you say plot hole?

nickjs21
i didn't have a problem with the 2nd renaissance. to me, it seems pretty realistic. i think it depicted pretty well how a lot of people would react to the machines (i.e. beating them in the street) and how the machines would eventually sweep through their cities. guilt complex be damned, if we were to be taken over by machines it would probably go somehow like that. morpheus said it was a pretty grim reality.

and yes, in the storyline of the matrix movies, that's how it really happened. because osiris and the renaissance flicks were written by the wachowski's.

to whomever asked what kind of anime or whatever osiris was: it wasn't. it was cgi. like toy story.

matriculated was completely fubar, i didn't care for that one at all. it was like, "this is what a machine does when it's on PCP." but whoever asked what it's all about: a small group of the freedom fighters believed that they could convince machines, one by one, to fight for them. how that explains the little psychic marmoset . . . search me.

and detective story did not take place in the 30's or 50's. the man was in a chat room at one point. it was just in black and white. film noir style. i liked that one. and i'm kind of partial to "the program," myself. i didn't like the animation that much, but i thought it was a good story.

now . . . if SOMEONE could explain what the hell happened in world record, i'd be much obliged.

zoomonkey
yeah world record made no sense. i think maybe he realized he is faster than what the world limits him to. like neo in M1, but he doesn't realize his reality is false. that's the best i can do with that one.

my point about rennosaunce II is that a nuclear bomb emits an EMP. hovercraft emit an EMP. but the nuclear bomb EMP has no effect yet the hovercraft EMP is "our only defense against the machines". sounds like some b.s. to me. i do agree that with out nukes humans would be hard pressed to defeat a never ending army of robots. my only problem was that they did have nukes that do emit an electromagnetic pulse, which even in the matrix reality is effective agains the machines, yet in rennosaunce they have no effect. its a contridiction which to me really takes away from the story. do you realize how many nukes the US has by itself? enough to destroy the world dozens of times over, yet they can't destroy one city in the desert. it really just pisses me off.
oh well

nickjs21
well, i'm sure that when a nuke got dropped in a particular area, any machine in that area was destroyed regardless of emp emissions (we're talking strictly the force of the blast here). maybe what they meant when they said that the machines were not harmed by the radiation is that no outlying machines outside of the blast area suffered anything like cancer or bubbling internal organs from the heat. i'm sure the nukes were effective to a degree, just not as much of a kick as if they were used against humans.

but i've got no answer for the emp thing.

nickjs21

zoomonkey
thanks nick,
those were my points exactly. now why would they overlook such a glaring point as this? i guess if they didn't their whole story would crumble. i am a fan don't get me wrong, and i can overlook some mistakes but this is huge. zero one should have been a wastland from the begining. nuke it a couple times and anything that does survive physically will be incapacitated. humans march in, dismantle the remaining machines, story over. but so is the world of fiction.
still pisses me off though.

Dexx
men aren't stupid either. they could calculate a fire rate, to do A LOT of damage, with several nuclears. ACtually..one would be enough to take zero-one out....that's pretty silly.

World record is my favorite animatrix...what don't you get of it?
It's about an exceptional man...like it says. he manages to wake up by himself, sort of like popper. Only he ends up like a veggie

Sifer
Just looked at some info on Nuclear Blasts and this is what I found on quite a few sites:

Electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) is another effect of an aboveground or air nuclear detonation

They also mention this:

Ground burst detonations may generate EMP up to 2 miles from the point of detonation.

This was also on US Government fact sheets.

nickjs21
the article i read was referring to nukes strictly detonated far above ground level. so i guess we can assume ground explosions don't spread the EMP much farther beyond the actual blast radius (2 miles isn't wide). that could cover up the plot hole little.

Dexx
why? the good humans thought of not hurting the machines TOO hard adn decided to detonate them far above ground level roll eyes (sarcastic). This doesn't cover anything.
besides...we saw nuclear blasts in there, at ground level....so...the story SIMPLY has holes

Sifer
Dexx you have totally misread m8. THe EMP is GREATER when in the air, not on the ground...read the post properly before replying.

Sifer
Also, did you notice the word MAY in the ground detonation sentence?

Dexx
well..then take it the other way around. Humans are not dumb. i'm sure they would've figured it out todetonate them somehow to take more damage.

Ushgarak
I didn't see 2nd Renaissance as being in any way realistic. Cliched and dreadful, yes, but not realistic. Asimov's Robot series- THAT seemed realistic.

It was just such a poor, shallow imitation of a story. Really poor.

Skittles19
man, ushgarek I'm getting a vibe that you hated the 2nd renaissance or something.....
just a wild and crazy guess tho

Ushgarak
Glad you picked it up...

Sifer
What do you expect, they had to fit in all that info into 2, 9 minute animations. Not an easy task at all.

zoomonkey
the point is that the information they tried to provide was grossly inaccurate. if they wanted to put more info in it they could have easily made it longer.

also, how big the emp is is almost irrellivant. the humans have so many nukes at their disposal that they could have carpet bombed the machines with H-bombs if they wanted to.

as ushgarak said, its just a bad story of the cliche apocolyptic furture that we see every where else. the wickowski's created something unique with the matrix but really dropped the ball here.

another thing i missed is the point at which the humans find time to dig 4KM under the surface and create zion. seemed like they hand their hands bussy grabbing their ankles for the machines. i doubt the machines would go to all the trouble just to keep the anomaly of the one in check. why not create a colony on the moon or mars. would be much easier to defend from the machines. that's a little off topic though.

Sifer
Thats because the Humans NEVER BUILT ZION. Thats the whole point of the 2nd film - it shows us that the machines do it for them smile It's all just another system of control.

zoomonkey
they never specifically say that the machines created it for them. what i got from it was that the machines mearly allow it to exist as a system of control of the one.

nickjs21
either way, zion isn't created during the period that second renaissance takes place. morpheus says that the first one (of whom he believes neo is the second coming) came after the matrix, and "freed the first of us."

you've got a point with the carpet-bombing thing, though. oh well. i thought it was entertaining at least, if you can ignore science for a while.

Ushgarak
What Morpheus says is completely irrelevant because that was the fifth One and Sixth Zion; we are interested in the ORIGINAL zion here.

zoomonkey
so who created zion origonally is still up for dibate. man, machine who? also, as we saw in matriculated there appear to be some human bases on the surface, so apparently the humans didn't completely abandon the surface.

Vim
I think what happened in Matriculated (sp), was not even supposed to take place in the storyline of The Matrix, alot of it didn't make sense. Like how did they know that when they plugged something into the particular place (it looked like a head), how did they know that was where its CPU-type thing was, it could've deep inside it somewhere. I think it was just to make a weird movie about what robot would do inside the constructed matrix like enviroment.

Skittles19
I thought it was pretty weird....

Celsius
looked like whoever made it was on a lot of LSD. i lked the second renethingy, but i felt sick after. it sent shivers down my spine.

Skittles19
yeah celsius.. i felt the exact same way.....

Stovenutts
What the heck happned in world record?
was he unplugged for a moment the plugged back in?

Stovenutts
the second rinthingy was written by the wachowsky bros. so they know what theyre talking about.

nickjs21
as far as i can tell, in world record the guy accidentally became unplugged (maybe as a result of his running at such a breakneck speed). either as a result of that or the agents, he became a vegetable, but he refused to stay that way because he knew the truth now.

i think. yeah, it was confusing.

zoomonkey
just because they wrote it (i think you are reffering to renaisance II) doesn't mean a thing. they still overlooked a major point about the effects of a nuclear bomb. by doing this it allowed them to create their world, but if they had relized it i think the story would be much different. go back and read the posts about the real effect of a nuke.

world record just made no sense. almost less sense than matriculated. who was that guy at the begining? was he his trainer or drug dealer or someone unplugged from the matrix trying to encourage him to realize that he is faster?

The Omega

physalia
has anyone here tried syncing up the animatrix, with the sound off, with the mars volta's album 'deloused in the comatorium'? basically start the album about 1:47 into the first episode. it's amazing.

terd40
Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.