What went wrong with Rey's character?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Slowpoke
I think EP7 was overall ok other than she probably could have been trained before using lightsaber. Obviously there were setup.

EP8 made a HUGE mistake that trying to focus on Kylo Ren's struggle with Luke, and making Rey a nobody's child. Thus casting Rey out of the problem but instead chose Luke to not only play a unlikeable role, but also stand in to face Kylo Ren's wrath. Rey could not receive much development because the main conflict was not about her.

EP9 made her the grandchild of Palpatine specifically to correct the mistake-LINK her with the main villain to stand in the eye of the storm. But the overall rushed plot just couldn't leave much likeable stuff, same with other characters. Every event just seems like "wut"?

Overall I don't think Rey is a Sue, while she certainly has some traits, but overall she suffered from the bad writing of EP8 and the pace of EP9,

jaden_2.0
The biggest problem was not having her arc or the actual plot of the trilogy written before they began the 1st one and instead did what far too many movie series do these days. Just start and then try and wing it as they go, reacting to and changing direction based on things people didn't like.

Not having consistency of direction or production didn't help.

Insistency on "subverting expectations" didn't help

Shitty writers definitely didn't help.

relentless1
the big problem with her appears right away; she got way too powerful way too easily. I mean on min she's scrounging for scraps the next she's successfully fighting Kylo Ren and BEATING HIM, I mean where's the struggle? why do I want to see more of the=is characters growth when its already happened? Also just as with the films themselves the story wasn't well though out and feel very choppy and tossed together as a result.

Darth Thor
No its biggest problem was trying way too hard to imitate the OT. Whilst not actually getting what made the OT Great in the first place and also not making much sense in the context of it being a direct sequel to the OT.

That said, Force Awakens was directed and acted well enough, and the new characters had promise at that point. So I would say it was the best of an overall sucky trilogy.

playa1258
Her **** aren't big enough to compensate for the shit writing

cdtm
She wasn't a real character. You can forgive a lot if a character has something going for her, but Rey was practical a white void in the character sheet. No personality at all.

How would you even describe her without referring to her job, costume, what she looked like or role in the story. You can't. Nothing to say about her as a unique being, because she isn't one, she's a literal plot device.

Slowpoke
Originally posted by cdtm
She wasn't a real character. You can forgive a lot if a character has something going for her, but Rey was practical a white void in the character sheet. No personality at all.

How would you even describe her without referring to her job, costume, what she looked like or role in the story. You can't. Nothing to say about her as a unique being, because she isn't one, she's a literal plot device.

I think it mainly has to do with Rian Johnson brought up Skywalker family drama again, but set her as a nobody.

Lestov16
The only problem with her character is that we know nothing of her mother.

Old Man Whirly!
Nothing is wrong with anything Daisy Ridley does.

Robtard
Rey is sexy af

Slowpoke
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Nothing is wrong with anything Daisy Ridley does.

She had some babyfat in the first one, but indeed become stunning in the later 2 movies.

Of course Felicity Jones is my favorite SW female lead.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Lestov16
The only problem with her character is that we know nothing of her mother.

Sexist AF tbh.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Robtard
Rey is sexy af She is indeed.Originally posted by Slowpoke
She had some babyfat in the first one, but indeed become stunning in the later 2 movies.

Of course Felicity Jones is my favorite SW female lead. I love me some baby fat wink said with an accent like I was one of the yokels in deliverance.

Kazenji
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
The biggest problem was not having her arc or the actual plot of the trilogy written before they began the 1st one and instead did what far too many movie series do these days. Just start and then try and wing it as they go, reacting to and changing direction based on things people didn't like.

Not having consistency of direction or production didn't help.

Pretty much exactly this.

Psychotron
The problem is she has no arc and never really fails at anything. She never gets her ass beat like Luke did in ESB. She's never tempted by the dark side like he was in ROTJ. She never changes. She's pretty much the same character in every movie.

Robtard
Originally posted by Slowpoke
I think EP7 was overall ok other than she probably could have been trained before using lightsaber. Obviously there were setup.

EP8 made a HUGE mistake that trying to focus on Kylo Ren's struggle with Luke, and making Rey a nobody's child. Thus casting Rey out of the problem but instead chose Luke to not only play a unlikeable role, but also stand in to face Kylo Ren's wrath. Rey could not receive much development because the main conflict was not about her.

EP9 made her the grandchild of Palpatine specifically to correct the mistake-LINK her with the main villain to stand in the eye of the storm. But the overall rushed plot just couldn't leave much likeable stuff, same with other characters. Every event just seems like "wut"?

Overall I don't think Rey is a Sue, while she certainly has some traits, but overall she suffered from the bad writing of EP8 and the pace of EP9,

While ep7 was lazy and safe writing, just giving us more of what we've already seen, it wasn't terrible and I do think they had a plot and arc already penned down.

Then they started listening to all the crying from the audience and redid the story to bring back and squeeze in Palpatine, why 8 was worse than 7 and 9 was worse than 8.

qwertyuiop1998
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
https://i.ibb.co/4Vxmbkd/312724199-1971269293263880-4135656755785613709-n.jpg

Ridley_Prime
Objectively I can see 9 being worse than 8, but I hate TLJ more just on the snowball effect it caused. Couldve had a decent episode 9 if not for how 8 was done, but TRoS at least had more entertaining fight scenes that I can remember and is a guilty pleasure in that respect, but at the end of the day, I miss and perhaps will forever miss Star Wars at the cinema.

I dont care to consume every show it has now, I just want some occasional films again. Historically, Star Wars typically came in waves, rather than have things put out around every corner like MCU, but now they be burning out a lot of fans who still even invest in the brand. I guess it was gonna happen one way or another though whether with milking films or milking shows, but only gonna get more people tired of the series as time goes on and see diminishing returns. If Disney Star Wars was planned out well to begin with like MCU, that might be another story, but as it is..

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Objectively I can see 9 being worse than 8, but I hate TLJ more just on the snowball effect it caused. Couldve had a decent episode 9 if not for how 8 was done, but TRoS at least had more entertaining fight scenes that I can remember and is a guilty pleasure in that respect, but at the end of the day, I miss and perhaps will forever miss Star Wars at the cinema.

I dont care to consume every show it has now, I just want some occasional films again. Historically, Star Wars typically came in waves, rather than have things put out around every corner like MCU, but now they be burning out a lot of fans who still even invest in the brand. I guess it was gonna happen one way or another though whether with milking films or milking shows, but only gonna get more people tired of the series as time goes on and see diminishing returns. If Disney Star Wars was planned out well to begin with like MCU, that might be another story, but as it is.. Palpatine from 9 would destroy the Avengers, There, I said it.

Robtard

I dont care to consume every show it has now, I just want some occasional films again. Historically, Star Wars typically came in waves, rather than have things put out around every corner like MCU, but now they be burning out a lot of fans who still even invest in the brand. I guess it was gonna happen one way or another though whether with milking films or milking shows, but only gonna get more people tired of the series as time goes on and see diminishing returns. If Disney Star Wars was planned out well to begin with like MCU, that might be another story, but as it is..

Luke being turned into a self loathing assbag in ep8 was nigh unforgivable, but I still cringed the hardest in ep9.

Slowpoke
While ep7 was lazy and safe writing, just giving us more of what we've already seen, it wasn't terrible and I do think they had a plot and arc already penned down.

Then they started listening to all the crying from the audience and redid the story to bring back and squeeze in Palpatine, why 8 was worse than 7 and 9 was worse than 8.

Yeah but at least EP7 didn't ruin anything, if it could be handled well.

Palpatine was brought back because Kylo Ren wasn't competent enough in EP8 and Rey has to get some connection to the main plot when 8 turned it into Skywalker family drama.

Robtard
Yes, I'm saying ep7 was/is the best of the three, even though is was lazy and unoriginal writing, Disney played it safe for their new franchise and new trilogy.

Then they shit the bed with ep8 and then made all of us roll around naked with our mouths wide open in that shit-bed with ep9.

Slowpoke
Yes, I'm saying ep7 was/is the best of the three, even though is was lazy and unoriginal writing, Disney played it safe for their new franchise and new trilogy.

Then they shit the bed with ep8 and then made all of us roll around naked with our mouths wide open in that shit-bed with ep9.

I think EP9 would have been better if it has like 4 hours to expand the plot and character development.

Darth Thor
I agree with Rob, ep 9 was just a bad movie, even putting aside my Star Wars fandom.

Ep.7 on the other hand was a well made and entertaining enough film (if I take my Star Wars fandom goggles off). And I was the first one out of the cinema slating how stupid the plot was, but I never imagined how bad the trilogy would end up that I end up being the most positive on that one.

Slowpoke
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I agree with Rob, ep 9 was just a bad movie, even putting aside my Star Wars fandom.

Ep.7 on the other hand was a well made and entertaining enough film (if I take my Star Wars fandom goggles off). And I was the first one out of the cinema slating how stupid the plot was, but I never imagined how bad the trilogy would end up that I end up being the most positive on that one.

EP9 was wayyy too rushed, everything just smack together without enough setup and explanation.

jaden_2.0
I do think they had a plot and arc already penned down.

If they did then they abandoned it pretty quickly after ep7 and then changed again after ep8. 1 single character is proof of it. Rose. Brought in for no reason and then abandoned again. Unfortunately her introduction through a spanner in the character development of Finn who was clearly being set up for a relationship with Rey which got abandoned in favour of Rose who then got abandoned in favour of some completely forgettable character in ep9.

So the introduction of that single, relatively minor character completely derailed the character arc of what were being set up as 2 of the 3 main characters. It was done so badly that they ended up essentially abandoning Finn as a main character altogether.

Lestov16
I'll be legit honest. I think JJ did the best he could with TROS. It didn't make any sense, but that's entirely on Kathleen Kennedy for allowing Rian Johnson to toss out the trilogy plans. JJ did the best he could with the FUBAR situation he was given despite his tragic attempts to provide an outline at every point.

cdtm
You know what would be a good Lucas style edit that would infinitely improve these movies?

If Rey was replaced with Jar Jar Binks.

Not even kidding, the most hated character in Star Wars history would have been watchable compared to Rey.

Darth Thor
I'll be legit honest. I think JJ did the best he could with TROS. It didn't make any sense, but that's entirely on Kathleen Kennedy for allowing Rian Johnson to toss out the trilogy plans. JJ did the best he could with the FUBAR situation he was given despite his tragic attempts to provide an outline at every point.

Im not convinced at all that everything was perfect and going to plan until Rian came along and decided to do his own thing.

JJ is known for not being great at endings, and there was really no need for him to retcon everything Rian set up. I mean Rians biggest sin of screwing over Luke wasnt retconned in any way.

JJ is also the one who set this trilogy up to be a repeat of the OT. He began it that way and ended it that way.

Ridley_Prime
What could JJ have retconned about Luke? As he was already dead. Him using the force to get his X-Wing back out of the water in ep 9 was a nice little callback at least. Granted, the force ghosts being able to do physical things (Yoda in TLJ or even Han being a force ghost) was a retcon itself.

A JJ trilogy would not have been perfect or particularly great, no, but still preferable to Rian mucking up the middle film.

Darth Thor
What could JJ have retconned about Luke? As he was already dead. Him using the force to get his X-Wing back out of the water in ep 9 was a nice little callback at least. Granted, the force ghosts being able to do physical things (Yoda in TLJ or even Han being a force ghost) was a retcon itself.

A JJ trilogy would not have been perfect or particularly great, no, but still preferable to Rian mucking up the middle film.

Yeah but you're the one claiming JJ did his best to retcon what Rian did. He retconned stuff that there was no need to retcon by that point.

No need to retcon Rey's origin and no need to retcon who the major villain was all along (look at Colin Trevorrow's script for Ep.9, it was miles better).

What exactly did Rian retcon anyway that was against JJ and KK's original vision? Is there even any evidence they ever even had a vision to retcon? FYI Ridley said after TLJ that she was told from day one her character was a nobody.

So I don't buy that JJ was stuck there. If any thing him and KK were stuck with the idiot plot he began in TFA and over reacting to fans not reacting well to TLJ.

Yes I can imagine a trilogy made by JJ. Episode 8 would end with the revelation that Palpatine was Rey's Grand Father, with Rey shouting "Noooooo"

Lestov16
What was Treverrow's plans? And as I stated before, my main issue with Rey is the mystery AKA gaping plot hole that is her mother. Did Palpatine have a secret love affair unbeknownst to Anakin, the Jedi, Republic, or Trade Federation? He's a Sith and deception is one of their trademark tactics, so did he have a secret lover Clone Trooper, a sex slave, a concubine harem, a Galactic Senator or Trade Separatist? Or did he straight up asexually synthesize a fetus with either technology and/or the Force to produce an heir?

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Yeah but you're the one claiming JJ did his best to retcon what Rian did. He retconned stuff that there was no need to retcon by that point.

No need to retcon Rey's origin and no need to retcon who the major villain was all along (look at Colin Trevorrow's script for Ep.9, it was miles better).

What exactly did Rian retcon anyway that was against JJ and KK's original vision? Is there even any evidence they ever even had a vision to retcon? FYI Ridley said after TLJ that she was told from day one her character was a nobody.

So I don't buy that JJ was stuck there. If any thing him and KK were stuck with the idiot plot he began in TFA and over reacting to fans not reacting well to TLJ.

Yes I can imagine a trilogy made by JJ. Episode 8 would end with the revelation that Palpatine was Rey's Grand Father, with Rey shouting "Noooooo"
Where did I say JJ did his best to retcon what Rian did? Think you have me confused with Lestov.

Yeah, the Colin Trevorrow script looks hardcore and better than what we got, but you didnt answer my question about Luke. What would you have preferred JJ retconned about him? Curious mainly, as I wouldve been all for Luke getting something better too.

Darth Thor
Where did I say JJ did his best to retcon what Rian did? Think you have me confused with Lestov.

Oh maybe... My bad.

Yeah, the Colin Trevorrow script looks hardcore and better than what we got, but you didnt answer my question about Luke. What would you have preferred JJ retconned about him? Curious mainly, as I wouldve been all for Luke getting something better too.

I guess he could have given a better reason why he abandoned the Republic and his friends in their time of need.

Like some really important Galaxy saving reason why he couldn't ever leave that planet.

I mean heck he could have even said Luke wasn't dead, but just teleported away. Then gave us the Luke we wanted. Now that really would have been a Big F U to Rian.

Because honestly, that was TLJ's biggest fault, and probably the most unforgivable fault of the trilogy.

What was Treverrow's plans? And as I stated before, my main issue with Rey is the mystery AKA gaping plot hole that is her mother. Did Palpatine have a secret love affair unbeknownst to Anakin, the Jedi, Republic, or Trade Federation? He's a Sith and deception is one of their trademark tactics, so did he have a secret lover Clone Trooper, a sex slave, a concubine harem, a Galactic Senator or Trade Separatist? Or did he straight up asexually synthesize a fetus with either technology and/or the Force to produce an heir?

We saw glimpses of her parents. Remember Palpatine was her Grand Father, not her actual Father.

The novelisation says her Father was actually a failed clone of Palpatine, so no woman needed shrug

This just goes back to how poor a film TROS was that it doesn't even bother to explain anything about Palpatine's return or his progeny.

ares834
lmao

Trevorrow's script for Ep. 9 was nearly as bad as what we got. It wouldn't have made a difference. There was no salvaging the trilogy after the dumpster fire that was TLJ.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.