Did Luke actually read the sacred texts?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sheev
This has probably been asked before, but in TLJ it seemed like Yoda implied that Luke had never actually read the sacred Jedi texts himself. Was it ever confirmed that he did, or was he just holding them out of respect without ever attempting to decipher them?

Galan007
Yeah, a few different sources have confirmed that he read them(and actually took notes about some of the things he'd learned.)

The funny part in hindsight is that Yoda acted like the texts were just a bunch of irrelevant storybooks that shouldn't be taken seriously... Even though their teachings were actually integral to Rey's(and presumably Luke's) progress/evolution.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Galan007

The funny part in hindsight is that Yoda acted like the texts were just a bunch of irrelevant storybooks that shouldn't be taken seriously... Even though their teachings were actually integral to Rey's(and presumably Luke's) progress/evolution.

I think his words were something akin to that everything Rey needs is in her possession - presumably because she had the books.

So Yoda just thought he was being funny with semantics.

Galan007
For me it was the "Read them, have you? Page turners they were not" line. Seemed like Yoda was casually dismissing the texts as though they contained nothing special, and really weren't that important -- even though things like Luke's projection technique, and Rey's healing ability were both learned from said texts, and were both integral to the plots of TLJ and TRoS. They also contained a bunch of esoteric scripture that was fundamental to building the Jedi Order from scratch, and pointing it in the right direction... So in the scheme of things, the texts were actually crucial plot-devices.

But if you hyper-analyze Yoda's statements, then I suppose it's possible that he was just being sarcastic/enigmatic for the lulz. I dunno. Just strikes me as odd in hindsight. /shrug

StiltmanFTW
"Sacred texts" were actually printed screenshots of Galan's online rants laughing out loud

Galan007
https://i.ibb.co/NWXMxyj/tumblr-p5gz1budz21skp2zjo2-540.gif

StiltmanFTW
https://i.ibb.co/wy5V7pp/tumblr-p5gz1budz21skp2zjo4-540.gif

Just kidding, old man. Keep up the great work.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.