World Cup 2022

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

walshy
Who's watching the world cup in Qatar? Probably the most controversial host of all time.

walshy
I watched FIFA uncovered on Netflix and basically confirmed that FIFA/the awarding of the world cup to be hosted in Qatar was all corrupt and basically bought. Could've been held in USA, that would've been alright they've got all the infrastructure needed anyway

Old Man Whirly!
I'm watching

Robtard

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I'm watching. Psyched AF.

But yeah, Qatar... not a fan.

USA! USA! USA!

And after they lose... Haha..

Brasil! Brasil! Brasil!

And if they disappoint again...

Germany! Germany! Germany!

Robtard
England wiping the floor with Iran

ares834
Don't care at all about the games.

But the sheer amount of blatant astroturfing all over the internet has been hilarious to see. Clearly Qatar didn't pay for the best.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
England wiping the floor with Iran

That was fun to see.

Nice seeing women-hating countries getting their asses handed to them.

walshy
Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 1 v 1 🇺🇸 USA

Probably a fair result we were rubbish first half

Patient_Leech
US was rubbish the first half or Wales?

US dominated the 1st half.

It was frustrating game, we (the US) should be proud of a WC tie, but somehow it kind of still feels like a loss. I can't believe we had that penalty in the box! Fu#k!!

walshy
Yeah Wales were rubbish first half, I'm Welsh btw. Whoever that defender was that fouled bale should be sent home, what an idiot, USA would've won if not for that

Patient_Leech
Sooooo... you're Welshy? hm laughing out loud

Well, it was good that you guys came back and played a much better second half.

We have to play England next, I think! Aye-yai-yai!!

Jaden_3.0

Patient_Leech
I'm waiting for Jaden 4.0. That's going to be the pinnacle version!

walshy
Imagine not even qualifying for the world cup how embarrassing... wales

I have to get up early (for me) to watch these 10am kick offs, Messi is off the mark with his first goal

Jaden_3.0
Originally posted by walshy
Imagine not even qualifying for the world cup how embarrassing... wales

I have to get up early (for me) to watch these 10am kick offs, Messi is off the mark with his first goal

We let Ukraine win cos they needed the morale boost and we're nice like that

Old Man Whirly!
Walshy, do you know the best thing about Wales?

they look like fish and are mammals

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!

they look like fish and are mammals

Walshy, do you know the second best thing about Wales?

the cute way they blow water out of the top of their heads like giant dolphins

S_W_LeGenD
KSA defeated Argentina (2 - 1).

Man, did not see this coming.

https://www.espn.in/football/blog-the-toe-poke/story/4809850/saudi-arabia-win-vs-argentina-among-biggest-world-cup-shocks

Andrew Tate said it best:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1595054754526334976

walshy

they look like fish and are mammals Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Walshy, do you know the second best thing about Wales?

the cute way they blow water out of the top of their heads like giant dolphins I expected these spoilers to be much worse Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

https://www.espn.in/football/blog-the-toe-poke/story/4809850/saudi-arabia-win-vs-argentina-among-biggest-world-cup-shocks

Andrew Tate said it best:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1595054754526334976 yeah huge upset. Argentina were favourites to win the whole thing, now who knows if they'll even get past group stage

Old Man Whirly!
I expected these spoilers to be much worse Nah, that would be the worst thing about Wales, which is Newport and needs no spoilers. Pillgwenlly is up their if you want a serious kicking on a Saturday night.

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhHq4m_Bi5g

This is wrong, but I did laugh still.

Robtard
Arg losing to KSA was a WTF.

Ochoa's save of the penalty kick was good.

Old Man Whirly!
Arg losing to KSA was a WTF.

Ochoa's save of the penalty kick was good. Yes, it was amusing laughing out loud

Robtard
That second goal being taken away, sure. That third one though, seemed very sketchy.

Old Man Whirly!
That second goal being taken away, sure. That third one though, seemed very sketchy. I have to be careful what I say on all this laughing out loud I may go back to KSA on my retirement... We will see!

Robtard
I get it, you're also English and it was against Argentina smile

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

That game was f#ckin' bonkers.

The Saudi guy who (probably) got concussed at the end of the game. Ouch. He got ROCKED.

Robtard
F**king France got scored on early and then came back to rape the poor Aussies

Patient_Leech
Yeah, they're good. Create so many opportunities.

I'd rather not see them win the Cup again, but they sure earned the win with that game.

Old Man Whirly!
I get it, you're also English and it was against Argentina smile That was 40 years ago Rob, means nothing to me at all. In a way I actually see Argentina's point, but the people who live there are a British colony, so we are in the right to protect them.

Robtard
I was goofing, I didn't think you held a grudge

Robtard
Second half of Ger vs Jpn was very good, lots of action and very little f**kery.

Didn't see Japan's win coming either, though Germany gave up that second goal, the defense just said f**k it.

Patient_Leech
Second half of Ger vs Jpn was very good, lots of action and very little f**kery.

Didn't see Japan's win coming either, though Germany gave up that second goal, the defense just said f**k it.

Another crazy game. Yeah, the 2nd half was extremely entertaining.

The way to capitalize against Japan would be on setpieces, because of the height advantage... but the Japs are super fast, which helped them score.

Both goalkeepers earned their pay, though. Really fun watch.

walshy
Who is your prediction to win the whole thing? France looked really good but I think Brazil could win it again. Been a while since a South American team won it.

Patient_Leech
Who is your prediction to win the whole thing? France looked really good but I think Brazil could win it again. Been a while since a South American team won it.

Yeah, France looked impressive. If they keep playing like that I think they'll probably win again.

Brazil is ranked #1, but lately they've not played great as a team. Great individual players, but it depends on how they gel. Looking forward to watching them tomorrow. My wife is Brazilian, so it's a special occasion.

I'm hoping that with all the unexpected wins already that the US can continue the trend...

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Another crazy game. Yeah, the 2nd half was extremely entertaining.

The way to capitalize against Japan would be on setpieces, because of the height advantage... but the Japs are super fast, which helped them score.

Both goalkeepers earned their pay, though. Really fun watch.

Especially the Japan goalie, four in 20 seconds.

QUnWjiHxVkg&ab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnWjiHxVkg&ab

Robtard
URU and KOR tie vexed me, really wanted a Uruguay win.

Ghana got hyper aggressive last 20-25 mins, desperation was heavy. How the ref missed the Ghana player shoving the Portugal goalie to the ground is beyond me.

Patient_Leech
That 2nd Brasil goal was the sickest I've ever seen in a World Cup.

That'll be on some highlight reels.

walshy
That was a sick goal, contender for goal of the tournament already.

Wales v Iran tomorrow as well as England v USA

Hoping for 2-0 Wales win and I guess an England win against US just so Wales has better chance of getting through groups rather than having to rely on getting points out of the last match

Jaden_3.0
YOO

ESS

AYY

YOO

ESS

AYY

YOO

ESS

AYY

YOO

ESS

AYY

Patient_Leech
^ thumb up

That was a sick goal, contender for goal of the tournament already.

Wales v Iran tomorrow as well as England v USA

Hoping for 2-0 Wales win and I guess an England win against US just so Wales has better chance of getting through groups rather than having to rely on getting points out of the last match

Sorry, welshy!

Goddamn, the US vs England game was INTENSE!

Pretty pround of the US team. They kicked ass and held their own against England!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlushingAgileKoala-max-1mb.gif

It was a bit frustrating getting like 10 corners in a row and not being able to get a damn head on any of them. Ugh..

Old Man Whirly!
https://twitter.com/bfyyz/status/1596263888986771459?s=48&t=6xpQAaE90SsqmjFbfmuLoA

“For Iran it’s probably their biggest win since Iron Sheikh beat Bob Backlund at WrestleMania!” 🤣

walshy
☹️

Wales now need to beat England and hope USA v Iran is a draw. Honestly we haven't played well at all, Ramsey and bale been virtually non existent. We were lucky we even got a point against US.

walshy
Argentina beat Mexico and Messi finally scored. The other Argentina goal was really nice too. Tomorrow has Germany v Spain and Germany can't afford to lose

Patient_Leech
Argentina beat Mexico and Messi finally scored. The other Argentina goal was really nice too. Tomorrow has Germany v Spain and Germany can't afford to lose

It was largely an ugly game, at least the first half. Lots of fouls and faking.

Since my wife is Brazilian I was hoping Argentine would fall, but yeah, Messi is too good. Their goals were nice, I'll admit.

Mbappe on France put on a really nice show, too. France is looking quite formidable again..

And yeah, go Germany!

Patient_Leech
Oh yeah, and...

https://64.media.tumblr.com/9b62954cde505bd10ebeef45b4f890da/tumblr_n195w93w9h1rk4f8to1_400.gif

Robtard
Arg played like they there were not aware this was a win or leave match for the first half. That second goal was a really nice one.

Mbape is great to watch, he's going to shoot up to super stardom as Messi and Ronaldo fade quickly with age over the next few years.

For tomorrow, I predict:

Spa > Ger

Cro > Can, thought I what my goofy northern neighbors to win

Jap > Cos

Bel > Mor

I think the US can beat Iran. Eng vs Wales, I think Eng as Wales hasn't impressed me, sorry.

"Saudi Arabian players will be handsomely rewarded for their World Cup group stage victory over Argentina, with each set to receive a Rolls Royce. -snip

Did the king take the cars away after Poland beat them?

Old Man Whirly!
Arg played like they there were not aware this was a win or leave match for the first half. That second goal was a really nice one.

Mbape is great to watch, he's going to shoot up to super stardom as Messi and Ronaldo fade quickly with age over the next few years.

For tomorrow, I predict:

Spa > Ger

Cro > Can, thought I what my goofy northern neighbors to win

Jap > Cos

Bel > Mor

I think the US can beat Iran. Eng vs Wales, I think Eng as Wales hasn't impressed me, sorry.

"Saudi Arabian players will be handsomely rewarded for their World Cup group stage victory over Argentina, with each set to receive a Rolls Royce. -snip

Did the king take the cars away after Poland beat them? Nah, Saudi's and Arabs in general never take back gifts.

Robtard
Good to know thumb up

Thus far I was wrong, wrong and right.

Patient_Leech
BRASIL wins! Happy Dance

So nervous for team USA tomorrow... confused

walshy
Yesterday had some good matches. I'm a bit gutted there's no more 10am kick offs and football on all day but today is huge, not even gonna try predict anything or say anything about Wales v England

As long as we actually put in a decent performance I'll be happy

Good luck to US

Robtard
I think USA can beat Iran.

wakkawakkawakka
Never knew KCM had a Sports forum.

The USA won with a display of high end talent. Wales I guess decided to give up early against England.

Not sure how team USA will fair against the Netherlands.

Robtard
USA won!

Was hoping Wales would have won or tied at least, even though England was going to push through regardless. Wanted them to not leave like that.

Patient_Leech
Happy Dance Happy Dance

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/52deb8f2e4b08334607b761c/1480456169425-YSNV3AKYG92O8Y9C6QHR/amrica+****yeah.jpg

Hope Pulisic is okay, though. Damn. Made it a little bitter sweet.

Is it true that he went into the hospital?

walshy
From the reaction I've seen to Wales going out locally, friends, the news etc, there's like two schools of thought. Some people say we should just be happy we got to the world cup being one of the smallest nations there (except Qatar), and the other disappointed that we didn't really show up or do our best, we did better in qualifying.

I feel like I'm more the latter right now but yeah it is good we got to the world cup after so long I just hope we can do it each time now, especially as they're expanding the next world cup to 48 teams. Sadly I think Bale, Ramsey and Allen are past their best maybe time for them to focus on their club careers and let the younger players come through and we can focus on building for the future. Ampadu, Neco Williams and Brennan Johnson looked really good in spells.

The manager Page got it wrong the first two games, we only had two good halves of football the 2nd half against US and first half defensively good against England but overall not good enough.

Guess I'll support US now or Brazil if they start doing better. Hopefully pulisic isn't injured.

wakkawakkawakka
Well Saudi Arabia and Mexico took each other out: Mexico won but they came up just short 1 goal difference of knocking Poland out.

Hopefully by the power of hype and anime that Spain and Japan somehow both advance tomorrow.

walshy
Wow that Mexico free kick goal was amazing!

Jaden_3.0

wakkawakkawakka
The power of hype and anime prevailed. Spain and Japan are both advancing.

Patient_Leech
Wow that Mexico free kick goal was amazing!

Yeah, agree. That was a killer shot.

What's crazy is that we've seen several saved penalties. The Polish goalkeeper has had at least 2. Phenomenal. He saved one against Saudi Arabia, and I remember thinking he deserved 72 virgins.. lol

Pulisic rocks...

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
The power of hype and anime prevailed. Spain and Japan are both advancing.

Germany has fallen in the group stage for the 2nd WC in a row. sad

I still have USA and Brasil! cool

Patient_Leech
Guess I'll support US now or Brazil if they start doing better. Hopefully pulisic isn't injured.

Awesome. 😎 🇺🇸 🇧🇷

wakkawakkawakka
Whelp I guess that's all for the USA and Australia. Though Australia did a lot better than I though given their opponent.

Patient_Leech
Motherfu#ker. I can't believe our defense was that bad.

The first 2 goals were the exact same play and we fell for it. And the 3rd one bothered me the most just leaving that guy wide open.

Stupid zone defense, I guess.

I also suspect that Sargent being out threw us off big time.

Go Brasil!

https://images7.alphacoders.com/516/516124.png

wertheimer
at this point, I think it is safe to assume that the final will be between france and brazil.

wakkawakkawakka
The power of hype and anime came up just short for Japan. Though the fact that it came down to penalty kicks for Croatia shows just how much fight Japan put up against them

Then there's Brazil's utter dominance of South Korea.

Patient_Leech
Brazil looked sick AF against South Korea.

Although, I will say that the foul that won the penalty kick was total BS. But still, a 4-1 defeat is a slaughterhouse.

wakkawakkawakka
I guess the power of anime went to Morocco's defense and Bono.

Though speaking of a slaughterhouse...did someone from Switzerland do something to make Portugal mad?

walshy
I was working during the Portugal v Switzerland match and my mate said Ronaldo wasn't starting, I thought he was joking but no. Sad in one way seeing the inevitable end of a career of one of the best, but good for Portugal looks like the future is bright still with the new guy getting a hat trick.

I have two days off work now but there's no football on for the first time in idk how long, typical.

Robtard
Bounou is an amazing keeper.

Old Man Whirly!
Harry Kane is amazing... come at me!

S_W_LeGenD
USA beating Iran was historic.

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Well Saudi Arabia and Mexico took each other out: Mexico won but they came up just short 1 goal difference of knocking Poland out.

Hopefully by the power of hype and anime that Spain and Japan somehow both advance tomorrow.

I am of the view that Saudi Arabia was placed in a very tough group. It might have advanced to next stage in another group.

Well, better luck next time.

Japan did well in group stage.

S_W_LeGenD
I expected these spoilers to be much worse yeah huge upset. Argentina were favourites to win the whole thing, now who knows if they'll even get past group stage

Argentina has advanced to next stage:

https://www.bolnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Fifa-kncokout.jpg

Let's see.

Robtard
Should be here Originally posted by Robtard
Brazil knocked out, damn.

Croatia is proving to be a total beast again.

I kinda hope it ends up CRO vs MOR. The returning second place vs the underdog of underdogs

Patient_Leech
Goddamn, I actually said to a friend, we do not want to get into a penalty shootout with that goalkeeper. He was great during the game. And the Brasil keeper hadn't been tested enough to stay sharp.

So frustrating. 😔

Patient_Leech
I dunno... Go England now?

🤷‍♂️

wakkawakkawakka
Whelp I guess Croatia's decided to beast out again. Livakovic' continues to impress.

Wonder if England can keep the pace.

Patient_Leech
Motherf#cker... this WC has fallen apart.

Damn Netherlands had to fall after knocking the USA out.

That was a bonkers game, though.

wakkawakkawakka
Argentina escapes with a win just barely beating of the Netherlands in another Penalty goals shootout.

England and France both have a bar set for them tomorrow.

walshy
Argentina v Netherlands was really good. Part of me was hoping for a Argentina v Brazil semi final but good on Croatia. Hope France beat England tomorrow.

Old Man Whirly!
Argentina v Netherlands was really good. Part of me was hoping for a Argentina v Brazil semi final but good on Croatia. Hope France beat England tomorrow. Spoken like a true Welshman. laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
laughing out loud

S_W_LeGenD
Standings:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/bracket

Argentina advancing.

But Croatia might stop it.

wakkawakkawakka
Well it looks like Morocco just made history today.

Since Spain and Japan are out I guess I'd be okay with a Croatia vs Morocco finale.

Patient_Leech
Kane with the penalty neutralizer!

Patient_Leech
I can't believe I forgot about this. Glad I was reminded of it. laughing out loud

Patient_Leech

Patient_Leech
Kane with the penalty neutralizer!

I can't believe he missed the 2nd penalty.

You've got to put it on goal, make the goalkeep save it. That was terrible.

Old Man Whirly!
I can't believe he missed the 2nd penalty.

You've got to put it on goal, make the goalkeep save it. That was terrible. We have a long history of such errors laughing out loud

-SSFwUY6BA0 I wanted the JFK grassy knoll investigation of Waddle's miss but can't find it. It's funny as feck!

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/clip-rugby-harry-kane-penalty-25724510

He is going to regret this for sport relief.

wakkawakkawakka
I can't believe Brazil vs Argentina was denied for... whatever Croatia decided to do today. Argentina practically walked to the finals.

Here's hoping Morocco puts up a fight against France.

Robtard
Was hoping Morocco would have made it.

Well, lets go Argentina, they're kinda like Uruguayans.

walshy
It's set up pretty nicely, two great football nations, both won two world cups, Messi v Mbappe

I'm gonna predict an Argentina win, 1-1 goes to extra time and Messi scores a late winner

Patient_Leech
It's set up pretty nicely, two great football nations, both won two world cups, Messi v Mbappe

I'm gonna predict an Argentina win, 1-1 goes to extra time and Messi scores a late winner

Yeah, it should be a fun one.

Seems likely that it could come down to penalty kicks.

Old Man Whirly!
As I've said from day one view la Francais.

Old Man Whirly!
Argentina win on penalties, Messi cements his position as greatest player of his generation.

wakkawakkawakka
Well shucks... now the internet's going to be fill with Messi hype for the next week.

Mbappe dragged this France team to penalties and France still came up short.

Patient_Leech
I was pulling for France, but holy phuck that was a killer game. Really fun to watch and you couldn't ask for much more drama.

Old Man Whirly!
I was pulling for France, but holy phuck that was a killer game. Really fun to watch and you couldn't ask for much more drama. Me too and agreed.

riv6672

Robtard
Wanted Arg to win so Messi could go out with a cup under his belt. But one of the best games I've ever seen, so many up and downs emotionally. Loved it.

walshy
Has to be one of if not the best final ever! I'm glad Argentina won, I wanted Messi to get his world cup, and based on the first 75 minutes I think it's only fair they won

riv6672

Romanio
It was nice cup. Argentina my favorite team ever! Congratulations!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.