Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jaden_3.0
SCvZGScG8yI

Surprised to see this not posted/discussed yet.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I'm kind of indifferent.

On the one hand there's almost no way it'll be worse than Crystal Skull, but it's also unlikely that it will be all that great.

How old is he? And he's still playing an action/adventure hero?

I mean, not knocking him, Harrison Ford is awesome, but I just suspect it's going to strain credulity.

Jaden_3.0
Same. In all honesty the originals aren't high on my list of childhood favourites and I never even watched Crystal Skull. Seems like another cash-in.

I did always like the crossover references with Star Wars but that bit in the trailer is a bit much

I mean, Millennium Falcon much?

Kazenji
I'm looking forward to what James Mangold can do with the Indy franchise.

ares834
Looks pretty bad.

Impediment
Big f*cling yawn.

BruceSkywalker
i've never watched these films so im indiffferent

Lestov16
I'm hyped as phuck and I love the Indy films and the Young Indy TV show so I can't wait for this!!!! big grin

riv6672
Originally posted by Lestov16
I'm hyped as phuck and I love the Indy films and the Young Indy TV show so I can't wait for this!!!! big grin
^^^This guy gets it.

rudester
Now adventure movies have mixed with other genres to stay afloat; like comedy, so it will be interesting how it will hold on it's own.

Kazenji
Originally posted by rudester
Now adventure movies have mixed with other genres to stay afloat; like comedy, so it will be interesting how it will hold on it's own.

Yeah...because there's never been moments of comedy in the other Indy movies roll eyes (sarcastic)

Khazra Reborn

Patient_Leech

riv6672

Khazra Reborn

Patient_Leech
Goddamn, that would be truly horrendous.

There's no way they'll do that. Right?

I typically don't like time travel as a plot device, but that would be taking it to an extreme level.

Jaden_3.0

Khazra Reborn

Kazenji
The last time Kathleen Kennedy was involved with Indy was Temple of Doom & The Last Crusade

don't know what's going on with her these days trying to do those drastic changes to well known franchises.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Kazenji
The last time Kathleen Kennedy was involved with Indy was Temple of Doom & The Last Crusade

don't know what's going on with her these days trying to do those drastic changes to well known franchises.

Shes a better producer than she is a creative.

Robtard
Going to watch this as I still remember seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark as a wee one in the theater and absolutely loving it.

But I expect this to be utter ass like KOTCHS was, which is a shame.

Jones saying "I don't believe in magic..." really? His first three films involved straight up magic.

Robtard

riv6672

rudester
Yeah...because there's never been moments of comedy in the other Indy movies roll eyes (sarcastic)

Sarcasm will get you no where!

Kazenji
Originally posted by rudester
Sarcasm will get you no where!

And being a fool gets you nowhere too,

ares834
Crystal Skull > Temple of Doom

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/902/911/7eb.png

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

On the one hand there's almost no way it'll be worse than Crystal Skull, but it's also unlikely that it will be all that great.

I mean, not knocking him, Harrison Ford is awesome, but I just suspect it's going to strain credulity. should have rebooted with someone else long ago.

rudester
And being a fool gets you nowhere too,

Ohh you want to go there. eek!

Darth Thor

riv6672
Originally posted by ares834

^^^QFT.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/0cb32ff75ee39dbdb9edabb1e16f5688/tumblr_n8pwiuGzgX1twxecto1_r2_500.gif

Robtard

Stop trolling, okay

ares834
So the reviews for this are utter shit. Even IGN gave it a negative review.

And, from what I've read, it seems to continue Lucasfilm's trend of shitting on beloved legacy characters. Who could have guessed?

Kazenji
Seen one good review from Empire, 4/5 stars

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny/

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Robtard
Jones saying "I don't believe in magic..." really? His first three films involved straight up magic.

Makes him a lot like Reed Richards:

https://i.ibb.co/YcB9g7D/ffunth1.png

Robtard
Seems the rumors are true and it's happening again, this time by Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy, while a smirking Micky Mouse watches and jerks off from the corner...

https://i.imgur.com/zWn635z.png

sad

Kazenji
qEFqcfEFXVs&t

So its a good Indiana Jones film, Just not a great Indiana Jones film. Also its better then then the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

BruceSkywalker
i have never seen these films.. should i

carthage
Movie is expected to bomb due to not being able to make back its budget

https://movieweb.com/indiana-jones-dial-of-destiny-opening-weekend-projections-disaster-for-harrison-ford-swansong/

Kazenji
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

https://media.tenor.com/oj30Qsb3O24AAAAC/do-it.gif

Patient_Leech

Wtf.. not any of the first 3?

Yes, you must. They're classic greatness.

You are a sinner, Brucey, and you must confess your sins. Dafoe Christ will hear your confession.

ares834
Saw this last night and I thought it as terrible. It was two thing an Indiana Jones film should never be, dull and depressing. Helena was one of the worst characters I've ever seen. And the very ending was atrocious.Indy should have chosen to return not been knocked out and brought back back. It removes all agency from the character and leave his arc incomplete.

I'm a bit surprised by the online reception overall. Give it 6 months and I expect this will be considered worse than KotCS.

playa1258
Fire Kennedy!!!

Holy shit was this terrible.

riv6672

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
should have rebooted with someone else long ago.

ares834
Nah. Harrison Ford is Indy. The films should have simply ended. No need for more sequels for reboots. Just let it rest.

riv6672

Old Man Whirly!
Nah. Harrison Ford is Indy. The films should have simply ended. No need for more sequels for reboots. Just let it rest. you see, I see Indy as a possible bondesque character, remember others have played him already in young Indy etc. But if they end it, that's fine too.

Jaden_3.0
You know who'd be really good as Indy?

Alden Ehrenreich!

riv6672
Originally posted by Jaden_3.0
You know who'd be really good as Indy?

Alden Ehrenreich!
^^^I loved him as Han Solo.

BruceSkywalker
so.. should i watch free of charge or wait until disney plus?

riv6672
Free is good!

Patient_Leech
I'm glad we're finally getting the last Harrison Ford Indy film. Then maybe I can finally upgrade to 4k once they release a 5-film collection of some sort. I look forward to revisiting the old ones in UHD.

Robtard

Kazenji
Originally posted by riv6672
^^^I loved him as Han Solo.

There are some that didn't like Alden Ehrenreich as Han, They wanted Anthony Ingruber because he looks alot more like Ford

personally i thought Alden was decent as Han

sounds about right, These days it either has to be good or bad and nothing inbetween.

Kazenji

****en hell, i'm sure i did edit my previous.

Robtard
This is very in between, way better than 4, not better than the first three and good enough for a theater viewing.

Kazenji
That's about what i've been hearing, Its good but not great.

Old Man Whirly!
Watching this evening.

Patient_Leech
That's about as strong a recommendation from Rob as we're ever likely to get.

Sounds like it might be decent.

I'm still skeptical that it can be very good with time travel. I'm not generally a fan of the plot device.

I'm just expecting a lot of nostalgia callbacks.

riv6672

I'm still skeptical that it can be very good with time travel.
^^^Hey it was great w. aliens!

ares834
Nope. It was just boring. Even KotCS wasn't boring.

Not to mention it's yet another Lucasfilm where the legacy character is a broken depressed old man with a shit life pulled into adventure by the new plucky youngish female character.

https://media.tenor.com/4qOOoSuddecAAAAC/luke-skywalker-luke.gif

Time to get a new playbook KK.

Robtard

cdtm
Split my sides laughing at an Applebees ad offering a movie ticket to the show for a 35 dollar bill. They must have high expectations for this film. 🤣😂😂

Robtard
That's about as strong a recommendation from Rob as we're ever likely to get.

Sounds like it might be decent.

I'm still skeptical that it can be very good with time travel. I'm not generally a fan of the plot device.

I'm just expecting a lot of nostalgia callbacks.

Come on, when I love a film, I scream it to the heavens smile

cdtm

I mean, not knocking him, Harrison Ford is awesome, but I just suspect it's going to strain credulity.

Yeah if the big draws of today are in their 80's and 90's, I feel bad for the future generations because movies are gonna be awful. They just can't cast A list talent anymore.

Chadwick Boseman was a very very rare new top level talent, and he dies tragically. So we're left with, what, The Rock?

riv6672
Originally posted by cdtm
Yeah if the big draws of today are in their 80's and 90's, I feel bad for the future generations because movies are gonna be awful. They just can't cast A list talent anymore.

Chadwick Boseman was a very very rare new top level talent, and he dies tragically. So we're left with, what, The Rock?
^^^Michael B. Jordan?

Robtard

Old Man Whirly!

ares834
Holland? Talented?

https://i.imgur.com/3vKJqc7.gif

He's fine at playing a superhero. Anything more and it's beyond him.

riv6672

Old Man Whirly!
Holland replaced with Remi Malik... smile

ares834
Good choice. Except he's American.

riv6672

ares834
He is. I was replying to Whirly who mentioned Rami Malek.

riv6672

Old Man Whirly!
Good choice. Except he's American. You are right, he is. I honestly thought he was British.

smile

Old Man Whirly!
I should have gone with Taylor Johnson.

Robtard
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
have you noticed though they are mostly Britis shifty Matt Smith, the kid in Dune, Tom Hardy, Egerton, Holland... shifty

Pound for pound Brits are generally better actors.

Old Man Whirly!
Pound for pound Brits are generally better actors. but rarely have that special quality a Cruise or a Newman has.

riv6672
Went and watched it again.
Liked it better this time out!

Robtard
I'll watch it one more time at home for free with friends, but then I'm done. Only Indy 1-3 for me.

Impediment

cdtm
It's funny reading up on how Harrison Ford basically lucked out on Indy and Han Solo. He was nevet meant for either role, yet they define him.

riv6672

cdtm

riv6672
Man I liked Crystal Skull.
It was fun seeing Old Man Indie!

Robtard
Say "Laugh it up, Fuzzball" in Walken's voice and wonder at what could have been.

riv6672
Say "Laugh it up, Fuzzball" in Walken's voice and wonder at what could have been.
^^^Mind. Screw! confused

Patient_Leech
Does anyone know when this goes streaming?

Robtard
Interwebs said sometime between Aug-Oct 2023

Patient_Leech
Hm.. it should be sooner-ish, rather than later, Right? Because it hasn't done great at the box office, as far as I know...

Almost a $300 million budget and it's made only about $310 million worldwide to date...

Ouch.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2776598017/?ref_=bo_hm_rd

Patient_Leech
I'm sort of planning to re-watch Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade at least before I see the new one. It's been a while since I've seen them all the way through. I hear Dial of Destiny ties in a bit to the originals.

Patient_Leech
This has a digital release date of 29 August. So 2 weeks.

BruceSkywalker
so this will be on disney plus soon after????

Patient_Leech
so this will be on disney plus soon after????

Dunno. Not sure how that works, Brosephwalker.

Nuke Nixon
I'm sort of planning to re-watch Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade at least before I see the new one. It's been a while since I've seen them all the way through. I hear Dial of Destiny ties in a bit to the originals.

If you do that you'll just see the flaws in the new one that much more clearly.

BruceSkywalker
Dunno. Not sure how that works, Brosephwalker.

im guessing a few weeks later it will premiere

Patient_Leech
Finally watched this. Had some friends over and we were talking the whole time, so it was hard to pick up on details...

That being said, it's still a big mess thanks to bringing back the writer (David Koepp) of Crystal Skull. No one who had even ever SEEEEN that movie should have been allowed to write this film. They should have locked the writers in a room with the first three films on repeat until they understood how it's supposed to work and maybe even subverted a few expectations. Instead we get another over-long sloppy "Crystal Skull" mess. But it's actually kind of the opposite of Crystal Skull in that the last half of Crystal Skull went totally downhill and the end of Dial of Destiny kind of redeems the film. Thank god, the last time travel to 200-something AD or whatever it was was actually trippy and fun as fu#k. That should have come in the 2nd act, or something to make the stakes clearer and switch things up again, instead of back to back pointless action scenes. The film didn't need to be 2 and half hours long. It made it a drag to get through and then the last 20 min finally feels like an Indiana Jones film. And it was clear they didn't know what times to throw in the Indiana Jones music theme. It seemed very haphazard.

The film greatly missed Spielberg's touch in almost every instance, especially the action scenes and set-ups and pay-offs (or lack thereof).

The opening with the de-aging wasn't terrible, but it was definitely distracting because it's all you can think about, having Harrison Ford's head placed on a younger body double. And his voice still sounded old.

I'll probably watch once or twice again more closely and hope it gets better. Anyway, RLM nails it...

VKfOQQfcpaQ

Robtard
The first 20-25 mins was classic Indy though. Sure it was CGI Indy, but I loved it.

Patient_Leech
The first 20-25 mins was classic Indy though...

Was it, though? I thought it greatly missed Spielberg's touch mainly because of the poorly lit greenscreen. It didn't feel real at all... especially for $300 million!! And how did Nazi Homie survive getting smacked by the pole at train speed? I thought it was going to be some time travel trick, but dude just survived unscathed!!

I hope it grows on me with repeat viewings. It probably will.

Kazenji
Still yet to see this outing and i won't be renewing my Disney+ just to watch it, After how they ****ed us over regarding physical media.

Robtard
Was it, though? I thought it greatly missed Spielberg's touch mainly because of the poorly lit greenscreen. It didn't feel real at all... especially for $300 million!! And how did Nazi Homie survive getting smacked by the pole at train speed? I thought it was going to be some time travel trick, but dude just survived unscathed!!

I hope it grows on me with repeat viewings. It probably will.

I thought the scene looked great and isone of the best de-aging effects we've seen, maybe the best. Sure it didn't look 100% real, but the technology is getting closer and closer.

Come on now, people in the Indiana Jones universe survive ridiculous amounts of damage at times. eg Indy in the fridge.

Patient_Leech
I watched again. Really enjoyed it more a 2nd time paying closer attention without my friends talking, heh. The opening scene is nicely constructed, I agree. I think Harrison Ford's expressiveness doesn't come through very well with the de-aging, like he didn't seem mad enough when he said not to shoot him, but other than that it is impressive and fun to see Indy again during that time period.

I still think it's weird to basically kill off the villain at the beginning, but then have him come back again unexplained. They could have just cut that part out with Schmidt/Voller getting clobbered by the poll. Simple editing. Maybe they expect us to assume the Nazis have access to some crazy occult black magic and that's how he survived? So strange...

But I really like the way the time travel was handled. It wasn't made to be ultra confusing and mindfu#ky. Was trippy and fun as fu#k.

I think some have complained about the actress, Phoebe Waller Bridge or something like that, but I think she's great. She nails it. The Indy music cues played better on 2nd view, too.

Probably could have shortened an action set piece or two just a little, but for the most part it's solid.

It's not like Crystal Skull that's just a convoluted mess, albeit with some nice Spielbergian touches.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.