How did Disney ruin their 3 super movie franchise?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Slowpoke
Star Wars: With ST now the new movies are on the shelf.
Princess live action: Doesn't look good.
MCU: A huge flop just hit.

Disney REALLY got to learn their lesson and make some changes. Most of their big budget movies didn't do well this year.

The only one with very good BO was GotG3, and Gunn was fired. I'm ok with his firing but you got to hire other good directors.

StiltmanFTW
Gunn wasn't fired. Stop going full retard here.

Slowpoke
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Gunn wasn't fired. Stop going full retard here.

He was fired for a while, then came back but decided to leave MCU.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Slowpoke
He was fired for a while, then came back but decided to leave MCU. What was Gunn fired for SP?

StiltmanFTW
He was fired for a while, then came back but decided to leave MCU.

That old twitter scandal got him a job at both DC and Marvel, ironically.

And yes, he left, as he was given an offer he couldn't refuse. He's going to try to be DC's equivalent of Feige - good luck with that.

playa1258
Arrogance, laziness, agenda pushing and stretching themselves thin trying to prop up a streaming service.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by playa1258
Arrogance, laziness, agenda pushing and stretching themselves thin trying to prop up a streaming service.

I'm not sure what the "Princess" reference is, but yeah at least in regard to Star Wars and recent MCU, greed and arrogance I think are major factors: "People will go see it no matter what, we don't have to fully think things out and really strive for quality here. We can continue to shovel out the save stock crap." Running out of major characters and ideas is also no doubt a big problem. I don't give a shit about Captain Marvel, for example.

The endless live-action remakes of their classic cartoons is also wreaking of lazy cash-grabbery.

(Side note: Oddly enough I actually kind of liked the Cinderella live action remake from 2015, but that was an actual filmmaker, Kenneth Branagh.)

Slowpoke
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I'm not sure what the "Princess" reference is, but yeah at least in regard to Star Wars and recent MCU, greed and arrogance I think are major factors: "People will go see it no matter what, we don't have to fully think things out and really strive for quality here. We can continue to shovel out the save stock crap." Running out of major characters and ideas is also no doubt a big problem. I don't give a shit about Captain Marvel, for example.

The endless live-action remakes of their classic cartoons is also wreaking of lazy cash-grabbery.

(Side note: Oddly enough I actually kind of liked the Cinderella live action remake from 2015, but that was an actual filmmaker, Kenneth Branagh.)

I think it's worse, they are not just shovel out the save stock crap, but also give ppl all the garbage.

Same with the princess brand, they think even if they feed ppl turd ppl will still go for it.

Yeah Cinderella was very good, same with Aladdin, but not so for recent ones.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
That old twitter scandal got him a job at both DC and Marvel, ironically.

And yes, he left, as he was given an offer he couldn't refuse. He's going to try to be DC's equivalent of Feige - good luck with that.

Yeah didn't turn out too bad for him at all.

And yeah, if he wants to try and save Dc, let him have a go.

DeadpoolXXX
watch the south park panderverse special. it will answer all questions here.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by DeadpoolXXX
watch the south park panderverse special. it will answer all questions here.

Have no doubt. South Park called out how sucky The Force Awakens was before that was the mainstream opinion.

Member berries smile

Slowpoke
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Have no doubt. South Park called out how sucky The Force Awakens was before that was the mainstream opinion.

Member berries smile

TFA was nothing new, but at least it left potential, TLJ and ROS were total garbage.

Darth Thor
TFA was nothing new, but at least it left potential, TLJ and ROS were total garbage.

TFA was a better made film than the next 2, and didnt ruin any of the OG characters (although weird that Leia wasnt a Jedi, and if she secretly was then stupid she sent Han Solo to confront Kylo Ren). And id agree the new characters had potential at that point.

But the problem with the ST began with TFA. Member berries made them a crap ton of money as a one off but didnt do them any favours in starting a new trilogy. In fact im certain they werent thinking ahead.

It also made absolutely no sense as a sequel to ROTJ. But again those problems became more clear as the trilogy went on.

jaden_2.0
It's quite clear that the issue is not with the writers or directors because the quality of both is higher now that it was in phase 3 of the MCU. The issue is with the audiences of men and boys who have been brainwashed by Andrew Tate and Jordan Peterson and Piers Morgan and Donald Trump and Elon Musk into becoming disgusting, right-wing, racist, misogynistic, hate filled, toxic scumbags who don't have the decency to go out to the movies and support films that weren't meant for them.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
It's quite clear that the issue is not with the writers or directors because the quality of both is higher now that it was in phase 3 of the MCU. The issue is with the audiences of men and boys who have been brainwashed by Andrew Tate and Jordan Peterson and Piers Morgan and Donald Trump and Elon Musk into becoming disgusting, right-wing, racist, misogynistic, hate filled, toxic scumbags who don't have the decency to go out to the movies and support films that weren't meant for them. I think this is true for some, I think for the rest of us Superhero fatigue and formulaic writing has set in. Like Scorsese, I want more than a roller coaster when I watch a film. I'd be more interested if Superhero films examined things like what life was like for the Superhero living in a human world.

Slowpoke
TFA was a better made film than the next 2, and didnt ruin any of the OG characters (although weird that Leia wasnt a Jedi, and if she secretly was then stupid she sent Han Solo to confront Kylo Ren). And id agree the new characters had potential at that point.

But the problem with the ST began with TFA. Member berries made them a crap ton of money as a one off but didnt do them any favours in starting a new trilogy. In fact im certain they werent thinking ahead.

It also made absolutely no sense as a sequel to ROTJ. But again those problems became more clear as the trilogy went on.

The biggest issue with TFA was that instead of a balanced and new " new republic vs the villain", it just wanted to pick up the formula of "Rebels VS empire", so the new republic collapsed that easily, which, was stupid and undone EP4-6's effort.

Even the old republic had to take Palpatine decades to change to empire. Even the empire took the rebels years to finish off. The new republic simply died after a capital was blasted? And TLJ further nailed the coffin.

Darth Thor
The biggest issue with TFA was that instead of a balanced and new " new republic vs the villain", it just wanted to pick up the formula of "Rebels VS empire", so the new republic collapsed that easily, which, was stupid and undone EP4-6's effort.

Even the old republic had to take Palpatine decades to change to empire. Even the empire took the rebels years to finish off. The new republic simply died after a capital was blasted? And TLJ further nailed the coffin.

Yes so the main plot didn't make much sense if we actually think about it.

Like at the beginning of the movie while the New Republic was still there, why was a "Resistance" even needed? Could have simply tweaked it to the Republic Commandos or even the Intelligence agency, and Voila would have made make perfect sense. Should have been new tech and vehicles as well, like hybrid Empire/Rebels stuff, kind of like the Old Republic was. But like you said it was intended to be a sequel/reboot, like Superman Returns, where it's a sequel that's as much like the Original as possible in every possible way (especially the Look).

So at the time Audiences basically turned their brain off for that film and were just like "Yipee Star Wars is back, and we've got rid of that Blasphemer Lucas, and it's all Disney, so we will love this no matter what."

Having said that, I will admit it was a well directed film, and the new characters seemed exciting and had potential (at that point), so probably still the best of the trilogy (which is a pretty low bar).

Slowpoke
Yes so the main plot didn't make much sense if we actually think about it.

Like at the beginning of the movie while the New Republic was still there, why was a "Resistance" even needed? Could have simply tweaked it to the Republic Commandos or even the Intelligence agency, and Voila would have made make perfect sense. Should have been new tech and vehicles as well, like hybrid Empire/Rebels stuff, kind of like the Old Republic was. But like you said it was intended to be a sequel/reboot, like Superman Returns, where it's a sequel that's as much like the Original as possible in every possible way (especially the Look).

So at the time Audiences basically turned their brain off for that film and were just like "Yipee Star Wars is back, and we've got rid of that Blasphemer Lucas, and it's all Disney, so we will love this no matter what."

Having said that, I will admit it was a well directed film, and the new characters seemed exciting and had potential (at that point), so probably still the best of the trilogy (which is a pretty low bar).

Still TFA left space, it was TLJ which nailed the coffin of the New Republic.

Lucas was great at overall plot, just not good at writing romance and certain details.

Darth Thor
Still TFA left space, it was TLJ which nailed the coffin of the New Republic.

True.

And by TROS it was just funny how bad it got.

Lucas was great at overall plot, just not good at writing romance and certain details.

He was great at the Plot, mythology and expanding the Universe (his imagination is unparalleled). But his films would have almost certainly been better if he didn't direct or write the script (even though he did for ANH which blew the world away in 1977).

Patient_Leech

He was great at the Plot, mythology and expanding the Universe (his imagination is unparalleled...

I mean, let's not lick Lucas's ass TOO hard. Just about everything interesting in Star Wars was taken from Dune, Valerian, John Carter of Mars, etc..

Slowpoke
I mean, let's not lick Lucas's ass TOO hard. Just about everything interesting in Star Wars was taken from Dune, Valerian, John Carter of Mars, etc..

Nobody forbid Disney to take elements from other classics, and what did we get???

Darth Thor

And Old Westerns and Flash Gordon and World War 2 films...

Takes a hell of an imagination to put those things together though.

Patient_Leech
It doesn't really take imagination to plagiarize other sci-fi... lol

ares834
I can't speak for Disney's Princess films, but for SW and Marvel the issue is two fold.

First, there is a big quality issue. They've just been churning out crap for awhile now and it's caused a lot of the fans to burn out. Not much more to say here.

Secondly, they aren't appealing to their core audience. People can ***** about it all they want but films do appeal to certain demographics more than others. Boys and young men are those most interested in MCU and SW movies. But instead of targeting their core demographic, Disney has been trying to expand it and appeal to others. But it rarely works. And worse, the core audience may also not turn up.

The Marvels is a clear example of this. This was a movie very obviously targeted to women but they didn't watch it. In fact, the vast majority of audience was men. Or course, many men didn't bother to see it because it wasn't "meant for them" and so now the film is poised to become the biggest box office bomb of all time. On the other hand, movies like Barbie and Top Gun Maverick (both the biggest films of their year) focused on pleasing their core demographic and were massive successes.

Slowpoke
Originally posted by ares834
I can't speak for Disney's Princess films, but for SW and Marvel the issue is two fold.

First, there is a big quality issue. They've just been churning out crap for awhile now and it's caused a lot of the fans to burn out. Not much more to say here.

Secondly, they aren't appealing to their core audience. People can ***** about it all they want but films do appeal to certain demographics more than others. Boys and young men are those most interested in MCU and SW movies. But instead of targeting their core demographic, Disney has been trying to expand it and appeal to others. But it rarely works. And worse, the core audience may also not turn up.

The Marvels is a clear example of this. This was a movie very obviously targeted to women but they didn't watch it. In fact, the vast majority of audience was men. Or course, many men didn't bother to see it because it wasn't "meant for them" and so now the film is poised to become the biggest box office bomb of all time. On the other hand, movies like Barbie and Top Gun Maverick (both the biggest films of their year) focused on pleasing their core demographic and were massive successes.

I think it's different from "make franchise for men and women" and "make franchise that men don't like so others would be attracted".

The Marvels is a good example of it. Women don't want to see 3 unattractive females with 0 romance plot.

It doesn't really take imagination to plagiarize other sci-fi... lol

It does, Disney proved it.

rudester
A big company like Disney has a statistical research department that does a series of analysis and research on various factors to determine what is relevant today.

NemeBro
3 unattractive females It might be time to come out as gay if you think Brie Larson and Teyonah Parris are unattractive females.

Slowpoke
Originally posted by NemeBro
It might be time to come out as gay if you think Brie Larson and Teyonah Parris are unattractive females.

I was mostly talking about their characters being lack of development. And women don't want to see the movies because of them. They usually prefer good looking guys, and Prince Yan got like 3 mins?

And yes I don't think they look good enough as superheroes.

ares834
I think it's different from "make franchise for men and women" and "make franchise that men don't like so others would be attracted".

That's not what I said nor implied.

I said, appeal to a film's target demographic.

Patient_Leech
It might be time to come out as gay if you think Brie Larson and Teyonah Parris are unattractive females.

I'm not a big Brie Larson fan, but she did transform her butt and she has a killer rack in Kong Skull Island.

Darth Thor
Brie can defo look hot.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
I think for the rest of us Superhero fatigue and formulaic writing has set in. Like Scorsese, I want more than a roller coaster when I watch a film. I'd be more interested if Superhero films examined things like what life was like for the Superhero living in a human world.

Not superhero fatigue for me personally, bad Marvel media fatigue overall probably. It's not the same Marvel as it was before the Disney buyout. Everything is mostly boring now compared to the chaotically unfiltered fun mess we used to have.

Slowpoke
Originally posted by ares834
That's not what I said nor implied.

I said, appeal to a film's target demographic.

Yeah but what they were doing was drive off those ppl and didn't attract any new audience.

Robtard

He's gay AF, bro.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
He's gay AF, bro.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Robtard
Of course not, just embrace it though.

Slowpoke
I am straight, but not a fan of her.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.