Napster

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JediOasis
I was just wondering if any of you have Napster accounts and if so, what are your usernames? Just curios, that away we could "share" files and stuff. Me and my roomates all share the same username, its "holmeshall" (thats the name of our dorm) Oh well, just wondering, thanks.

Ratcat
I have Napster, but until I get ADSL (Which has been put on hold due to changes in personal circumstances) I don't tend to activate it much.

Ratcat359 is my username.

Gundark
I don't have Napster. What does it cost ?

Ratcat
It's free right now, but they are introducing a fee to cover the copyright fees and stuff.

finti
Yeah they chickened out on us, stick it to the record companies they charges way to much for CD`s!!

Darth Daft
My username is DarthDaft, but I don't have many songs! However, I do have a slightly amusing Prank Call from Tom Green!

queeq
I'm on Napster, but I don't know my username. It just automatically logs in. But it's at the office, so I can't look it up right now. There's only one piece of music thought: Images by John Williams.

queeq abides

Ratcat
Oh your rockaholic popster you. What do you do for fun queeq, needle point of flower arranging. laughing out loud

queeq
Well, exqueeeese me. John Williams is a great composer, he gave flavour to the very reason why we're here. So a little respect for the maestro (not me this time laughing out loud ) is in place, I'd say.

And.... Images is said to be one of JW great masterpieces which has remained fairly unknown.

Ratcat
Right on Mate!!!!!laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

queeq
There we are. JW rules!

Ratcat
Actually, it was a British reference to Harry Enfield, a comic who does a routine about to extremely naff DJs who think they are hip...

queeq
Oh..... I know him but I never would have made that out. Sorry.

Ratcat
Smashy and Nicey.

ANyway, we were originally talking NAPSTER.

queeq
Yes, and then.... Panic here took us off topic. Congratulations RC, you have made me very proud.

Ratcat
Actually, I find that very hard to believe.

And please don;t tar me with the brush of your dirty little Sith mis-understanding.

queeq
The facts speak for themselves. I am innocent.... this time. Face it RC, the Dark Side is taking control of you. It is unavoidable, it is your destiny. laughing out loud

Ratcat
She's...... I mean it's all I can think about.

finti
Hey queeq lay off my custom signature or it will be hell to pay here. laughing out loud

queeq
I did pay for it. Didn't my check come in yet?

theEviljedi
Where do you go there to register a name?

finti
It bounced!

theEviljedi
Huh???

queeq
Strange. RC assured me his checks were valid. laughing out loud

Ratcat
Yep I checked everything twice....

queeq
So finti is trying to rip us off... tsk tsk tsk.

Ratcat
Look, I even have a check list...

queeq
I'll sue him.

Ratcat
You been hanging with Americans for far too long....

queeq
I may have. Should I be worried?

Ratcat
I would, you'll only end oup wanting to run away to America.

queeq
Ah, back to the homeland...

finti
Why do you call it homeland tulip boy?smile

queeq
Because it is: dual nationality here.

Ratcat
Ahhhhhhhh, now I get it. Everything is much clearer now.

The mixed up dutch boy has delusions of Americahood. You really shood make the effort to go queeq.

queeq
Delusions? Moi?

Why should I make effort to go?

Ratcat
Dunno, maybe you could meet Dim, or EJ, or Gundy even.

Or maybe you could go see the Grand Canyon, or the everglades. Go see the Datona speedway. I don't kow.

Everyone has interests in their lives, maybe one of yours is in there somewhere.

Me, I LOVE Disney and the hot sunny climes of Florida. So, that's where I like to go. But I also want to visit New York, LA, Vegas and a few other tplaces before i die.

queeq
Oh, I've been there for about 3 months, some 12 years ago. I'd like to go back, but with my wife and maybe with the kids. Either way, my kids have to be a lot older first.

Ratcat
Well, there you go. Me, I just make an excuse to go at least once a year, maybe more.

I wanna go do something different next year though. For this year another trip to Disney seems like a plan.

queeq
Well, with little kids we have to choose for them. If the trip is no good for them, how can I enjoy it. I have found much pleasure in seeing the kids have fun, so all I need is a few weeks off with the whole family. The rest... well, it can wait. And if it doesn't happen, it doesn't. There are more important things in life.

finti
Like what?

queeq
laughing out loud

Well, like their well-being instead of my personal satisfaction in entertainment and places to see.

Ratcat
Whioch is why the last 3 family holidays have been to Disneyworld. Which actually works out great cos Ben Loves it, I love it and Bens mum loves it.

queeq
That's good then. But I can't afford three holidays.

Anyway, looks like Napster is going to have to close down.

Ratcat
Well, they're fighting it. I can see there point. Anyone who says they should be allowed to distribute, or rather facilitate the distribution of MP3 fiels of copyright material is wrong.

Without that money there would be no production of music, which in turn would mean no Napster after all.

finti
well Napster was a rebellion against the high prices on cd `s. They have now come to an agreement with a record label and are planing to take money for their services in june 2001.

Ratcat
Oh I know, but will they become part of the global copyright payment scheme or will they make individual deals with firms.

JediOasis
There are already sites just like Napster that "share" free music. Napster may close down but there are always ways to find free music.

queeq
Yep, I heard there are at least two good alternatives taht only link computers together and do not work with registered users.

And I say, the record labels swallow up so much money, they should lower the prices. I think they're outrageous. And I think we Dutch have some right to say so. Of all the countries in the world, the Dutch were on average the biggest spenders on CD's in replacing their old records. We had the highest average sales per person for about ten years and the prices stayed the same during that period and even became a little more expensive. And when you buy vinyl you pay about $8 less!!! So the records companies are screwing us and the artists, because this difference is not made up by rights, but simply by ripping us off. Go Napster!

Ratcat
Yeah, but then all these dutch people got confused when they scratched up their new CD's on the gramophone needle. laughing out loud

queeq

Ratcat
AT last, I left him with nothing to say...

finti
Sites like napster? gimme gimme!! please give`em to me so our fight towards those greedy corporation can continue.
That sounded familiarsmile

Ratcat
I think Napster will fight on and end up with some kind of membership scheme as proposed recently.

queeq
I forgot what they were, they have weird names.

Ratcat
DO they have a software client like Napster?

queeq
Sorry, I don't understand.

Ratcat
Well to use Napster properly you download their software that allows you to share your MP3 files with the world.

queeq
Oh right. Well I guess they do have something like that, but I read that you don't register or go via a central server. You just connect directly with another computer, which makes it impossible to blame the site owners. In a way. It's the same concept as Napster but without the middle party.

finti
Do you have any chance to dig up the sites?

queeq
I don't know how big they are, but I'll have to check the newspaper from a few days ago.

Ratcat
Seems there's a little MP3 fest going down huh?

queeq
The other Napster-like clones are: Gnutella and Imesh. But they don't have a server like Napster so searching takes a little longer.

finti
I didnt like them too much, napster still works though.

queeq
They offered some 2 billion dollars to the music companies to settle with and to leave Napster be.

Impediment
Wow. This sure is an old thread! But I searched and this is what I found. I recently opened up a Napster account and I have some questions I'd like answered. If anyone can help me, I'd be greatly appreciative. I'll wait for responses before I actually post my questions. stick out tongue Thanx. -Imp

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.