the nazgul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Seraph

enyafreak
i thought the nazgul were terrifying in FOTR. they really gave an ominous feel to the whole film. then in TTT they appeared on the fell beasts. i think they have now lost that ominosity. they are no longer scary and look naff.

Dark_Queen
lol,they are very,very cool!!
in the fellowship they were relatively unknown to the hobbits so it made the film more fightening.i was holding my breath most of the time...especially on weathertop and at bree

Sifer
Oooooh wait until Return of the King smile

tiger lilly
oh i soooo cannot wait till ROTK! anyone have any idea when the trailers will be available?

KingEllesar
the first RotK trailer will be available in September but you see the 10 minute preview after buyin TTT on dvd.

Nefertite
I liked Nazguls the most when they were chasing Arwen and Frodo.
One moment you could one Nazgul's face!

I can't wait Eowyn's fight with Nazgul's King!

Dark_Queen
thats going 2 be one of the best bits of the movie i think!! by the way Nef,i like ur Nazgul pic!!smile

Nefertite
Thanks Dark_Queen!
I've another one:

Nefertite
Sorry, I made mistake there. I meen that one moment you could see nazgul's face. I've lost one word, sorry. roll eyes (sarcastic) Ha ha ha...

Celsius
COOOL!
they look mental!

Sifer
The WIthc-King is in the first, he is just disguised as a rider in black. In the 3rd we will see him in all his glory with his black crown and beast of a sword.

billyboyd4ever
i sooo cant wait...the supense is killing me. i was dying for more LOTR so bad that im rereading the books

Fire
hehe, well the nazgul are good
but they were ment to be a very difficult adversairy for the hobbits in the first movie, were as in the second movie they actualy don't really do battle and in the final movie they battle the BIG warriors of the alliance and then they seem a little less dangerous imo

Dexx
the nazguls are somewhat nicer in fotr. But only in the movies. It's always more terrifying thinking about them on flying thinggies in the books. They're more efficient.

Oh, and i really didn't like aragorn taking ALL of them in fotr (the movie)

Arwen Undomiell
My favourite episode with Nazguls was in FOTR when Arwen was chased by Nazguls. But it's a little bit scary wink

LilySatine
I always found the Nazgul on horses to be more frightening. Perhaps it was because they are closer on the ground and cause a greater threat. I am also greatly looking forward to Eowyn and the fight with the Witch King! smile

Arwen Undomiell
You know what smile , I want to see this fight too yes yes . But do you know that when Nazguls and Arwen are near the river you can see one nazgul's face yes yes yes ?

danabanana
has anyone else got the witch king toy?? it just has a hollow hood

Arwen Undomiell
Do you have it wink ? If yes - you would be lucky and happy yes yes happy

Nefertite
Really? you've noticed that too? eek!

My sister don't belive me she says that I'm crazy for LotR!

Ha ha ha wink

Arwen Undomiell
My sister believes it too big grin yes yes

Arwen Undomiell
she believes that I'mcary for LOTR big grin big grin rolling on floor laughing

Nefertite
You mean crazy? Happy Dance

Arwen Undomiell
Yes, I relly men it big grin smile cool wink

Arwen Undomiell
Yes, I really mean it big grin smile cool wink

Nefertite
Arwen Undomiell, what's the point of posting double posts? confused

Seraph

mina.harker
in the book, the nazgul are more scary on the flying things, but in the films the nazgul are way more terrifying on horses! they are just so good

mina.harker
i also cant wait for eowyn (and merry, dont forget) to fight the witch king

Nefertite
As I remember, Eowyn and Pipin was fighting against Nazgul's king. Am I wrong? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nefertite
Yes, I'm wrong. roll eyes (sarcastic)
I'm sorry, you was right it was Merry. Everyone gave Eowyn so big prominence that Merry was forgotten. Shame on me, I forgot that little hobbit too.

LOTRCRAZYGIRL
I JUST WHAT TO KNOW WHEN.
BY THE WAY IN CAES YOU DIDNT KNOW TTT IS COMING OUT ON THE 25TH OF AUGUST...............I CANT WAIT THAT LONG I MEAN GOD!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHH-PILLS PILLS WHERE ARE MY PILL NEED MY PILLS wacko doctor messed

Nefertite
You are really crazy for LotR, aren't you? big grin big grin

Nefertite
I found some photos of Nazguls.
The pictures are from FotR:

Nefertite
Another one:

DeepThought
Nazgul=RULE smile I liked the fell beasts, but didn't like that it looked like there was no wind on the Nazgul's cloak wink

Nefertite
You mean in pictures? If you do in the second one their cloaks are realy loose roll eyes (sarcastic) .

fini
yes Nefertite Eowyn and Merry will fight the nazgul king in ROTK......well thats if they show it ( PJ HAD BETTER !!!),
hell the Nazgul in TTT was Great, in the scene in the Dead Marshes, the sound of the flying nazgul beast's wings were incredible, good going ( and thank goodness for dolby 5.1) They beat out the Nazgul riding on horses for sure

Nefertite
confusedI hope they didn't make shorter some scenes like Eowyn and Merry's fight agains Nazgul's King. eek! I've heard that RotK could take 4 hours!

Seraph
HEY nefertite. how do you get the pics to ur thread????

BOPRecruit 16
http://dunedan.freeservers.com/images/weather4.jpg

Nefertite
I like your picture, BOPRecruit 16.

I'm sorry Seraph, I didn't understand what do you mean. Could you write clearer?

By the way, BOPRecruit 16, my sister is crazy for Dragon ball. Hahaha... big grin

GABRIEL05
If the Nazgul are so dangerous how come one man, albeit him a Numenorean and the heir to the throne of men, was able to best them on Weathertop?!?

BOPRecruit 16
thanks. she is? kwel! what kind of anime do you two like? i'm such a freak abut dbz, and i love watching rurouni kenshin. my dbz character is future trunks as you can tell by my avatar. ^.~

to the previous guy's response, i guess the nazgul really hate fire? i dunno why they got whipped. maybe they aren't as strong as we think.

battosai yuriko

Ushgarak
A Dunadan, not a Numenorean! If men had the power of the Numenoreans in LOTR it would be a short war!

"Sauron, we want you to surrender now!"

"Oh, ok then..."

The Nazgul have always had this serious problem interacting with the real world, but I always gathered that the Witch-King was happy with the wound he had given Frodo which would slowly bring him into their world.

The Nazgul were not actually BESTED, as such, until the Ford, which in the books is because Glorfindel was laying into them.

Nefertite
Well, I rarely watch cartoons, it's not showed any good cartoons (or animie) in Lithuania. confused

And...maby we shouldn't talk about cartoons in this thread wink

Mormegil
Well, I've finally found a thread about the Nazgul! I was about to start one... But anyway, I was wandering if anyone knew the Nazguls' actual names? I've been wondering, but I haven't found anything yet. I know that the people would have been born sometime within s few hundred years of the fall of Numenor, Because Isildur and Elendil were both alive before the fall of Numenor, and they both fought in the Last Alliance.

Also, Ushgarak, I actually agree with you about the Numenorean-Dunedain bit. If the Island of Numenor were not sunken under the Ocean by Divine Intervention, the War of the Ring would be over very quickly. The strength and power of Numenor was far, far greater than that of other men in Middle-Earth. Numenoreans were many times better than normal Men at many things, including most prominantly the Art of War. A group of ten Numenoreans would easily best a group of a hundred Orcs. As I have stated in my second Historical Facts thread, a normal, non-Elvish Man named Tuor bested more than ten Balrogs (one at a time) on his own. TEN+ BALROGS. And this is just an ordinary human. One of the greatest Men that ever lived, granted, but if ordinary could get that good, imagine how good the Numenoreans could get! I'd gladly exchange 20 normal men for one Numenorean any day. I will admit that Aragorn is probably just as good with a sword as any normal Numenorean was, but this is the King of Kings, and his strength is driven by a force beyond that of any other. It's people like Tuor and Aragorn that are the exception to the rule, but those exceptions don't come often.

About the Nazguls, no, he didn't really best them. They had gotten halfway to their goal, the other half being automatic. Therefore, all they had to do is sit and wait. However, the major thing missed here is that ARAGORN HAD FIRE. If you remember, Ring-Wraiths fear fire and those who wield it, and only because he had the fire was he able to drive them off.

tealemon
so there are no Numenorean left??

Mormegil
No true Numenoreans. The Numenoreans, who were of part Elvish descent, lived for Hundreds of years. The reason why there are none left is that Sauron had manipulated there king to invade the Undying Lands of Valinor, land of the Valar. Iluvatar, seeing this happening from beyond the bounds of the world, became furious at this and descended (somewhat) to the World. There he lifted the Land of Valinor out of its foundation and placed it countless miles away, far across the face of the planet. In his fury he also sank the ones proud island of Numenor under the Sea, and, as Sauron had predicted, the threat that the Numenoreans posed was destroyed and would never again come to rise. (Thus, as I said, did Divine Intervention destroy the land of Numenor). However, some hundreds of Numenoreans, untainted and still loyal to the Valar, had sailed to the lands of Middle-Earth. These Men, lead by Elendil and his son Isildur, forged the Last alliance between themselves and the Elves and marched into the land of Mordor.

Over time, those few Numenoreans who survived was joined with that of normal Men and the blood was diminished, in some cases completely. The Dunedain, "The Edain (elf-friends) of the West," were all that remained of those who were purest of blood, and their blood-line was the longest-living. Of that people were the Heir's of Isildur, his line of descendants. of that line comes Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and he is as pure-blood as they come (though still not very pure), and Great is he to behold. (An interesting fact: Aragorn is 87 years old at the beginning of FotR, has his 88th B-Day on the day that Frodo enters the Dead Marshes. Aragorn died on his birthday at the age of 210).

Ushgarak
Actually, Mormegil, that idea about Tuor slaying loads of Balrogs was an early idea of Tolkien's but he eventually rejected it.

Christopher Tolkien says:

"The idea that Morgoth disposed of a 'host' of Balrogs endured long, but in a late note my father said that only very few ever existed - 'at most seven'."

Feanor- more powerful than any man or Numenorean- was killed by the Balrog host and the original Glorfindel took one on mano a mano, but although Tolkien's writings are decidedly unclear on the subject of Balrog numbers, certainly Tuor hacking through that many can be discounted according to his later works and Christopher's comments.

You have to remember that a lot of Tolkien's works were unfinished and Christopher clearly talks of how you cannot take it all as true.

The Numenoreans were powerful enough to get Sauron to surrender to them... but they weren't THAT good!

And also some of tha tainted Numenoreans did survive from the Second Age, hence the Black Numenoreans. Tolkien is not, as far as I know, 100% clear on how they came to be, but I think it is that not all the Numenoreans were on Numenor or in the fleet, some were on the mainland and so presumably survived.

Mormegil
That's right, there were other Numenoreans on the Main-land that were tainted, and they were said to have fled into the south.

As I was writing I did realize that the killing of ten Balrogs seemed a bit far-fetched, and it makes sense that there would have only been seven Balrogs. I mean, they were all Maia, and there weren't THAT many... but I realized too late to edit my posts, so I had to stick with it. As for Feanor, he took on Gothmog, the Lord of all Balrogs, so it was a some-what more difficult battle. Never-the-less, the point was that Numenor's best were not to be mettled with, and that their skill was great beyond the measure of normal Men. Still, I'll try to get my facts straight from now on before posting... and a bit of common sense wouldn't hurt, either...

Ushgarak
Ah, it's ok. As I say, it's hard to keep track of Tolkien's stuff so I am always very cauthous about using a lot of his earlier works!

Still, whilst we are talking about the Numenoerans in the Nazgul thread... it is, of course, very likely that several- maybe all- were mainland Numenoreans themselves!

Mormegil
Back to my original question, do you know the names of any of the people that turned into the Nazgul? Them beying Main-land Numenoreans seems very likely, but I still don't know any names...

iluvlotr!
Just wait until the Eowyn fights the Witch King!!

billyboyd4ever
how is that relevant to his question? hey im just curious is there anything interesting in the red book because i was thinking of reading that

Nefertite
Sorry, I don't know roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
The Witch-King's Lieutenant has always been generally known as Khamul the Easterling (actually, I am not sure how official the 'Easterling' bit is, I think that was rumour), whether that was his name beforehand I do not know.

BOPRecruit 16
has anyone played the video game? i saw the making of it on mtv, seemed pretty cool.

Mormegil
Wel, Thanks for your information. It'll be useful in figuring it out.

Nefertite
You mean LotR game? Yeah, I've seen reclame on TV. But I wasn't delighted. I'm not playing computer games. I don't have much time for this rolling on floor laughing

BOPRecruit 16
i was watching this special on making the game on mtv about the ttt game, it pretty interesting. the people making the game had the actors from lotr come in and voice act their characters from the movie for the game. it was funny when they started playing the game and their own characters!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.